PDA

View Full Version : More Salary Cap Savings

bmarsh15
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
"In other Denver contract matters, the team recently converted wide receiver Brandon Stokley’s $5 million roster bonus into a signing bonus. The tweak in the financial books allowed the club to prorate the payout over the next three seasons and save over $3 million in salary-cap room."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/26/broncos-affix-low-tender-offers-foxworth-paymah/

shank
02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
i wonder if they placed low tender on foxworth in an attempt to lure a team into getting us a 3rd round pick... :confused:

Hobe
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh the games we play!

dogfish
02-26-2008, 08:25 PM
good, we need it. . . . now the question is, where do we spend it?

i kinda wish they would have given paymah a higher tender, because we sure as hell can't afford to lose both of them-- more holes are exactly what we DON'T need right about now. . . i think there's a chance that somebody with a lower 3rd could sign foxworth to an offer sheet. . . i'd rather we keep both of them long term, but if they're not planning on extending him then it's better to get something in return, and we could sure use that 3rd (if he's there, i'd take owen schmitt without thinking twice about it). . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
We will need the cap room to sign Rogers or Robertson

Slick
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM

i kinda wish they would have given paymah a higher tender, because we sure as hell can't afford to lose both of them-- more holes are exactly what we DON'T need right about now. . . i think there's a chance that somebody with a lower 3rd could sign foxworth to an offer sheet. . . i'd rather we keep both of them long term, but if they're not planning on extending him then it's better to get something in return, and we could sure use that 3rd (if he's there, i'd take owen schmitt without thinking twice about it). . .

Sometimes, high 5's just aren't enough.

dogfish
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Sometimes, high 5's just aren't enough.

word. . . i'd trade foxworth for schmitt any day. . .

Bronco9798
02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
We will need the cap room to sign Rogers or Robertson

Just throw in some Ho Ho's and Twinkies for Rodgers. I hope to god we dont make that mistake and sign him. Exit Sam Adams, enter Rodgers. At least we'll have someone to yell at this year.

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Just throw in some Ho Ho's and Twinkies for Rodgers. I hope to god we dont make that mistake and sign him. Exit Sam Adams, enter Rodgers. At least we'll have someone to yell at this year.

Do you like yelling at Pro Bowlers who are still in their prime unlike Sam Adams?

Bronco9798
02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Do you like yelling at Pro Bowlers who are still in their prime unlike Sam Adams?

I like yelling at fat slobs who takes plays offs.

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I like yelling at fat slobs who takes plays offs.

You must yell at a lot of 330 plus pound defensive tackles.

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Even with Rogers half assing it every now and then.... he is a better player than any of the DT's we currently have.

Slick
02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
word. . . i'd trade foxworth for schmitt any day. . .

Not only do I agree with you about Schmitt, but I think it hurts us if we lose Foxy and Paymah. I'd give up either one for a shot to draft Owen, but I don't want them both to be gone.

Like you basically said, we should be filling holes, not creating new ones.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
It doesn't matter if people want them, if we really want them to stay on the roster, we can meet that team's offer.

Giving them lower tenders allows for teams to at least have the ability to give us a pick.

Rick
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Best case scenario Rogers plays pro bowl caliber. Worst case he plays like Warren did.

Warren did not give huge numbers but he was certainly productive in helping our run D.(pre Bates) We gave up too early.

Imagine if we had kept him. Warrens problem was that he was not a stand up and take up blocks like bates wanted, he liked to attack. So does Rogers(though Rogers is better at it).

We could have had 3 300lbs+ attacking DTs, need on the line over.

Rogers and Thomas will still be a good pair though if thats what goes down, just wish we still had Warren for good rotation of depth there.

JONtheBRONCO
02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Rather have the kid from the Jets than Rogers.

NameUsedBefore
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Cha-ching a ling bing king ding sing fling ping zing ring wing.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Cha-ching a ling bing king ding sing fling ping zing ring wing.

You forgot ying you turdball.

NameUsedBefore
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
You forgot ying you turdball.

Yeah but it's nothing without the yang!

Requiem / The Dagda
02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah but it's nothing without the yang!

Gayng.

NameUsedBefore
02-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Gayng.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gayng

JONtheBRONCO
02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
wow

WARHORSE
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Gayng.

Something wrong with that. heh heh

Lonestar
02-27-2008, 12:58 AM

we have the right to first refusal if someone would really want either of them..

Plus if they sign they make $973K which is more than twice what they made last year.. frankly IMO they were not worth $435K..

Lonestar
02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
You must yell at a lot of 330 plus pound defensive tackles.

From a long distance!!!!!!!

dogfish
02-27-2008, 01:59 AM
we have the right to first refusal if someone would really want either of them..

yea, i know, but to me it's probably worth a few hundred thousand (the definition of peanuts in NFL money) to prevent another team from signing him to an offer sheet, where we're backed into a corner. . . .

Plus if they sign they make $973K which is more than twice what they made last year.. frankly IMO they were not worth $435K..

i know you don't like them, but realistically, name me somebody we can get who's beter and will cost less. . . if they were both to leave, then we've got a big whole at nickel back that we don't need right now (and worse, we're one pulled hammy away from having freakin' useless jeff shoate covering reggie wayne), and we either have to spend free agent money or a draft pick that would be better spent fixing holes in the OL and the front seven, or adding depth and competition at WR or safety. . . most likely i don't think anyone will sign paymah to a sheet, but you never know-- young corners with excellent measurables and some playing experience can be pretty hot commodities in a league where spread offenses are becoming the norm and hardly anyone has enough corners. . . .

Lonestar
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
yea, i know, but to me it's probably worth a few hundred thousand (the definition of peanuts in NFL money) to prevent another team from signing him to an offer sheet, where we're backed into a corner. . . .

i know you don't like them, but realistically, name me somebody we can get who's beter and will cost less. . . if they were both to leave, then we've got a big whole at nickel back that we don't need right now (and worse, we're one pulled hammy away from having freakin' useless jeff shoate covering reggie wayne), and we either have to spend free agent money or a draft pick that would be better spent fixing holes in the OL and the front seven, or adding depth and competition at WR or safety. . . most likely i don't think anyone will sign paymah to a sheet, but you never know-- young corners with excellent measurables and some playing experience can be pretty hot commodities in a league where spread offenses are becoming the norm and hardly anyone has enough corners. . . .

Paymah I do not really have an issue with, but mikey will not both of them leave period IF one or both signs an offer sheet with someone. He will keep the one he likes best or perhaps even look at the draft positions, of the teams biting on the bait.

And if we lock these guys down right now then we are stuck with one or both of them.

Personally I do not see either of them going anywhere. As I do not have the grand delusions like most here, that think they should be starters on most teams. Both of these guys are nickle backs at best. Or disaster CB's at worst..

turftoad
02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Paymah I do not really have an issue with, but mikey will not both of them leave period IF one or both signs an offer sheet with someone. He will keep the one he likes best or perhaps even look at the draft positions, of the teams biting on the bait.

And if we lock these guys down right now then we are stuck with one or both of them.

Personally I do not see either of them going anywhere. As I do not have the grand delusions like most here, that think they should be starters on most teams. Both of these guys are nickle backs at best. Or disaster CB's at worst..

Agreed......... if either one was a full time starter I would hope it was an AFC West team. I'd love to see them twice a year.

G_Money
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
They're nickel backs, but on a team that has a disaster in the defensive backfield either guy could help out. Foxy could be a 2nd CB on a bad team, and he'll be as good as most of the 3rd round DBs available.

Either guy could get offers - I'm curious to see what other teams think of them.

~G

Lonestar
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
They're nickel backs, but on a team that has a disaster in the defensive backfield either guy could help out. Foxy could be a 2nd CB on a bad team, and he'll be as good as most of the 3rd round DBs available.

Either guy could get offers - I'm curious to see what other teams think of them.

~G

Hey if someone bites on them let one or both go depending on the draft choices.. We have the right to first refusal and if the team make an outlandish offer let them go..

OAK is not going to bite on either, SAN has better CB's and KC well they are train wreck anyway. So I do not see an AFC west love fest going on here.
foxworthless is a jack off all trades at best being a 180 pound safety wannabe is nuts..

nice guy but we pay for play..

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Jeff Shoate won the Super Bowl this year. He's a Giant now. He still sucks though.

dogfish
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Jeff Shoate won the Super Bowl this year. He's a Giant now. He still sucks though.

i didn't even realize we'd cut him. . . . :lol:

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
"In other Denver contract matters, the team recently converted wide receiver Brandon Stokley’s $5 million roster bonus into a signing bonus. The tweak in the financial books allowed the club to prorate the payout over the next three seasons and save over $3 million in salary-cap room."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/26/broncos-affix-low-tender-offers-foxworth-paymah/

hopefully not the only bright spot this offseason.