PDA

View Full Version : Vilma Given Permission to Seek Trade...

mclark
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
...with every team but New England.

http://mysportsrumors.com/blog/2008/02/22/vilma-given-permission-to-seek-trade/

Vilma given permission to seek trade
Feb.22, 2008 in Jets, NFL

The New York Jets have given line backer Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself around for a possible trade. Now this DOES NOT mean Vilma will be trade, he’s just getting the chance to look around the league and see what teams want him. What it does mean is that both Vilma and Jets management both are admitting he isn’t a good fit for coach Eric Mangini’s 3-4 style of defense.

OK, to the details, Vilma officially has 1 year left on his current rookie contract. So if the Jets do not deal him this off-season they will most likely lose him next year and receive no compensation. Jonathan is looking for a long-term extension if he is dealt, so he will be talking with teams trying to work out a new contract. If a deal is reached, it would be pending a trade. Which means that team that signs him would then have to call up the Jets and work out a trade.

What teams could use a linebacker, who is best suited for a 4-3 defense? Early front runners would be the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New Orleans Saints. The Saints currently have an offer out to Zach Thomas, so if he accepts that you could cross the Saints off the list. Now with the Jags, former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson is now an assistant coach. Henderson’s 4-3 defense is the system that produced Vilma’s 2004 Defensive Rookie of the Year season.

Another rumor is the St Louis Rams, who would be willing to be trade their #2 pick in the draft to the Jets for the #6 and Vilma. That deal would most likely be a big stretch thou.

Vilma, if fully recovered from last years knee problems, could be a very big contributor for any team. He’s a young player who has proven he can play with the big boys. Its always unfortunate thou that certain players just don’t fit in new styles brought in by new coaches. I firmly believe most Jets fans would hate to lose Vilma, but hey they love their Mangenious.

fcspikeit
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM

The New York Jets have given line backer Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself around for a possible trade. Now this DOES NOT mean Vilma will be trade, he’s just getting the chance to look around the league and see what teams want him. What it does mean is that both Vilma and Jets management both are admitting he isn’t a good fit for coach Eric Mangini’s 3-4 style of defense.

OK, to the details, Vilma officially has 1 year left on his current rookie contract. So if the Jets do not deal him this off-season they will most likely lose him next year and receive no compensation. Jonathan is looking for a long-term extension if he is dealt, so he will be talking with teams trying to work out a new contract. If a deal is reached, it would be pending a trade. Which means that team that signs him would then have to call up the Jets and work out a trade.

What teams could use a linebacker, who is best suited for a 4-3 defense? Early front runners would be the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New Orleans Saints. The Saints currently have an offer out to Zach Thomas, so if he accepts that you could cross the Saints off the list. Now with the Jags, former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson is now an assistant coach. Henderson’s 4-3 defense is the system that produced Vilma’s 2004 Defensive Rookie of the Year season.

Another rumor is the St Louis Rams, who would be willing to be trade their #2 pick in the draft to the Jets for the #6 and Vilma. That deal would most likely be a big stretch thou.

Vilma, if fully recovered from last years knee problems, could be a very big contributor for any team. He’s a young player who has proven he can play with the big boys. Its always unfortunate thou that certain players just don’t fit in new styles brought in by new coaches. I firmly believe most Jets fans would hate to lose Vilma, but hey they love their Mangenious.

Considering they still have Thomas on the market, this must be pretty old..

It would be really nice to get Vilma. The guy can play if we got him he comes in as a starter. Then we can forget about the temptation of drafting a LB high in the first couple rounds. That frees us up to look elsewhere with our early picks.

atwater27
02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
There has got to be a way we can trade picks and players and end up with Robertson and Vilma.

Escobar
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Hopefully the browns can get him.

atwater27
02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I like your sig Pablo. Get used to it. He'll be your next commander in chief.

Escobar
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I like your sig Pablo. Get used to it. He'll be your next commander in chief.

bet your broncosforums membership he won't?

Exactly. shh

atwater27
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I'll take that bet son.

Escobar
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll take that bet son.

Alright, i shall put it on my sig, if mcCain wins, i'll never show up here again. But on the other hand, if obama wins, you can't come back ever.

I shall do this with all the conservies, i'll clean house.:lol:

GEM
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM

I don't know that I would use that word to describe him. He somewhatly ostracized himself in bringing out the Patriots scandal....though in the long run it will work out for the integrity of the NFL. He hasn't found his #1qb, he hasn't shown that he can turn that team around.

atwater27
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Alright, i shall put it on my sig, if mcCain wins, i'll never show up here again. But on the other hand, if obama wins, you can't come back ever.

I shall do this with all the conservies, i'll clean house.:lol:

consider it a deal.

Drill-N-Fill
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
VILMA IS IN MOTOWN
We reported on Tuesday night that the Lions are the favorites to land linebacker Jonathan Vilma in a trade with the Jets.
On Wednesday, Vilma was in Detroit for a physical.
Vilma was the 12th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He has struggled to adapt to a 3-4 defense, and the thinking is that he'll be better back in a 4-3 attack.

NameUsedBefore
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
What's the story on Vilma? I remember when he first came into the league he was tearing it up... did he get injured? Is he the same player?

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Jonathan Vilma was "apparently" in New Orleans on Monday to meet with Saints brass, according to Newsday's Tom Rock.

This is the first we've heard of any talks between Vilma and the Saints, who have been trying to find a middle linebacker all winter. Vilma recently wrote on his blog that he won't be able to run for another month. Rock speculates that a Shaun Rogers-for-Vilma may work if Vilma's visit with Detroit goes well.

Source: Newsday

fcspikeit
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Vilma was "apparently" in New Orleans on Monday to meet with Saints brass, according to Newsday's Tom Rock.

This is the first we've heard of any talks between Vilma and the Saints, who have been trying to find a middle linebacker all winter. Vilma recently wrote on his blog that he won't be able to run for another month. Rock speculates that a Shaun Rogers-for-Vilma may work if Vilma's visit with Detroit goes well.

Source: Newsday

That's just great! We lose both at once! :tsk:

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
You can't lose something you don't have.

G_Money
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270701

The New Orleans Saints completed a trade with the New York Jets to acquire linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Though terms of the deal weren't announced, it is believed Vilma will go to the Saints for a fourth-round pick in 2009 that could be upgraded to a third-round based on how he plays in 2008. Vilma is in the final year of his contract and he goes to New Orleans without a new deal.

atwater27
02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
lost yet another golden opportunity....

Astrass
02-29-2008, 01:55 PM
lost yet another golden opportunity....

The guy can't even run yet. Not that golden......

slim
02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm glad Shanny is staying away from Vilma, Rogers, Jenkins, etc. The last thing we need are injured or lazy players.

G_Money
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Okay, but I'd also prefer to add good players, and good players with no risks cost top dollar.

Or you draft them, but really, how many times are we able to do that?

Vilma for a 4th next year is a steal. Good for the Saints.

If that was his price it makes me think that we're keeping DJ in the middle and drafting a Will, though. Or God forbid running DJ/Winborn/Webster out there all next season.

~G

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Okay, but I'd also prefer to add good players, and good players with no risks cost top dollar.

Or you draft them, but really, how many times are we able to do that?

Vilma for a 4th next year is a steal. Good for the Saints.

If that was his price it makes me think that we're keeping DJ in the middle and drafting a Will, though. Or God forbid running DJ/Winborn/Webster out there all next season.

~G

A 4th... A 4th! Good grief! We have 2 4ths and the odds of us getting a LB better then Vilma there is very slim.

A 4th isn't even much of a risk.. What are they thinking? I really hope they Don't plan on going with DJ/Winborn/Webster as our starters next year :(