PDA

View Full Version : who could we least afford to lose?

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
I was just thinking about worst case scenario. If one of our starters went down and was lost for the season. Who do you think if lost would be the biggest hit to us?

I remember when Jay took off and went head first trying to get to the endzone in the pre season. I remember holding my breath. :ahhhhh: That is why I thought of this question.

For me it would have to be Cutler. There are other's who we can't afford to lose, Henry, Walker, etc, etc but even if we lost one of those guys I would still have hope. But if we lost Cutler IMO our season is over!

"Stick a fork in am baby they are done!!!" over!

Please someone tell me I am wrong and we would have a chance with Ramsey.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Ramsey. I just feel there is a reason he is a backup. Your thought's please

SBboundBRONCOS
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I was just thinking about worst case scenario. If one of our starters went down and was lost for the season. Who do you think if lost would be the biggest hit to us?

I remember when Jay took off and went head first trying to get to the endzone in the pre season. I remember holding my breath. :ahhhhh: That is why I thought of this question.

For me it would have to be Cutler. There are other's who we can't afford to lose, Henry, Walker, etc, etc but even if we lost one of those guys I would still have hope. But if we lost Cutler IMO our season is over!

"Stick a fork in am baby they are done!!!" over!

Please someone tell me I am wrong and we would have a chance with Ramsey.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Ramsey. I just feel there is a reason he is a backup. Your thought's please

i completely agree, we would be screwed if Cutler went down,lets not even think about it . . . knock on wood

Lonestar
09-07-2007, 12:10 AM
:listen: lepsis 3

with out him the running game and pass protection is screwed.

dogfish
09-07-2007, 12:16 AM

yep-- we saw what happened last year. . .

where the hell's the knock on wood smilie??

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 12:31 AM

Agreed, but if there is no Cutler our passing game is screwed, and along with that comes 8-9 guys in the box. Then we can kiss our running game :wave:

Medford Bronco
09-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I think we would be screwed if we lost Champ Bailey, the best CB in the NFL.

I do not think Patrick Ramsey is that bad. With our running game he would do okay.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 01:17 AM

I do not think Patrick Ramsey is that bad. With our running game he would do okay.

Losing Champ would be a blow for sure!

But other teams win without having the best CB and we do have Foxy. He is no Champ but IMO he would do in a pinch

But it does give me a little hope knowing someone feels we could survive without Cutler :salute:

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Geez, our backup is Patrick Ramsey. Did anyone watch the preseason?

I think this hypothetical question actually has a factual answer, which is Jay Cutler.

The dropoff from Champ to Foxworth, Lynch to Abdullah, Gold to Williams to Webster to new SAM, Walker to Stokley, Lepsis to Pears at LT to Kuper at RT, Henry to Young or whoever, is nothing compared to the dropoff from Cutler to Ramsey.

BroncoWave
09-07-2007, 06:43 AM

I disagree. Bly and Fox would still be one of the better CB tandems in the league and we would still be good on defense.

As for Ramsey, did you watch him in the preseason? He was downright horrible against backups. Imagine what would happen against the Chargers or Bears defense. Defenses would just stack the box to stop Henry and make Ramsey beat them, which he wouldn't/

Therefore, I believe that Cutler is the player we could least afford to lose this season.

Calif. Bronco
09-07-2007, 08:01 AM

You mean among those thousands of smilies, there's not one? :questionmark: OK - who messed up? :confused: :D

As for this question, I agree with those who say Cutler. Even if you discount the pre-season (which I pretty much do), Patrick Ramsey has shown absolutely no abillity in his career to lead an NFL team. So little, in fact, I am fairly confident that if Jay got injured early enough in the season Shanny would dig up another QB from somewhere. :coffee:

Another thing to consider is that a Cutler injury early in the season would put our entire organization a year behind schedule. This kid needs playing time, not rehab time.

In-com-plete
09-07-2007, 08:18 AM

I'm with you for sure on that one Med. Best CB in the NFL and a top 5 player in the entire NFL.

It's funny cause some people will say Foxworth sucks and we have one of, if not the, best backup QB in the league. Then they'll turn around and say Foxworth isn't really that bad and Ramsey blows when it's a conversation like this.

Champ means more to this team than anyone who's wore the blue and orange since #7 retired.

*Edit:
I guess it's how you look at it really. Like Cali said, losing Cutler doesn't just hurt right now. It hurts the future. I agree with that 100%. But if it's for a week or two, Champs loss would be more catastrophic.

NameUsedBefore
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Cutler. Losing your starting QB is always the worst unless your starting QB is a scrub to begin with.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm with you for sure on that one Med. Best CB in the NFL and a top 5 player in the entire NFL.

It's funny cause some people will say Foxworth sucks and we have one of, if not the, best backup QB in the league. Then they'll turn around and say Foxworth isn't really that bad and Ramsey blows when it's a conversation like this.

Champ means more to this team than anyone who's wore the blue and orange since #7 retired.

*Edit:
I guess it's how you look at it really. Like Cali said, losing Cutler doesn't just hurt right now. It hurts the future. I agree with that 100%. But if it's for a week or two, Champs loss would be more catastrophic.

Well,, at least your consistent :laugh:

Seeing your name I figured it would be anyone but Cutler. :welcome:

You make it sound like we can't win without Champ. The funny thing is, most teams don't have the best CB in the NFL and they survive. Yet when you look at the QB position the teams without a good player playing that position are among the worst in the league every year.

Cutler is nowhere near the top of the QB position. But his lose would impact us more then losing Champ

Retired_Member_001
09-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Well,, at least your consistent

Seeing your name I figured it would be anyone but Cutler.

You make it sound like we can't win without Champ. The funny thing is, most teams don't have the best CB in the NFL and they survive. Yet when you look at the QB position the teams without a good player playing that position are among the worst in the league every year.

Cutler is nowhere near the top of the QB position. But his lose would impact us more then losing Champ

Yes but you have to understand this team has become dependant on Champ Bailey. If we were to lose Champ Bailey for a long period of time then the team would lose confidence. Maybe players that are stronger mentally wont (John Lynch for example) but I'm sure the young guys wouldn't be so confident. Also if our defensive line takes abit of time to "gel" then Quarterbacks will have years to throw which means having the best cornerback in the league is needed if we are to have a chance.

I actually think that if Jay Cutler or Champ Bailey go down then we are in alot of trouble.

Also if Lepsis goes down then we have to play Pears at LT and Meadows ( NOT GOOD!!) at RT. Lepsis is also a good pass blocker on a not so good pass blocking offensive line. I'll put it like this, if Lepsis gets injured then so does Cutler. ;)

Medford Bronco
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey preseason to me means nothing. I live in Boston where Michael Bishop was
a preseason stud. where did that get him

Yes Ramsey has a far from stellar NFL career. but here he will have a lot of support. Also having a strong d when your starting QB gets hurt is tantamount to success.

Not that we would win the Bowl with Ramsey, of course not but we should be able to tread water I think just my 2 cents

In-com-plete
09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Well,, at least your consistent :laugh:

Seeing your name I figured it would be anyone but Cutler. :welcome:

You act as if I hate Cutler and would say Curome Cox would be a more costly loss. When Cutler would be the 2nd most costly loss IMO.

And 9 times outta 10 I'd agree with those who say that losing your starting QB is always the worst loss of any player. I've said it before. But the only way I can say that with Champ on the team is if Cutler was already elite or a top tier QB. And IMO he hasn't shown he's there yet. He's only got 5 starts under his belt. Hopefully next year I'll be saying it, but this year I just can't.

Now...just take a second and look at how many games Champ helped save last year. How many picks did he have inside the 5 yd line erasing points of the scoreboard? Look at how defenses can't spread the ball around because he takes away half the field. Hell, just look at how he didn't give up a TD last year. How dominant is that?

Let's look at guys like....Vince Young and Leinart. Those are 2 QBs I wouldn't consider elite. But they don't have a Champ Bailey type player on their sideline. They're both QBs that if they went down it would really drag the team down. Does that mean they're better than Cutler? Of course not. It's just the way it is.

Skinny
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Travis Henry.

He should be to Jay Cutler what Terrell Davis was to John Elway IMO.

anton...
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
our DL personel...

we are very thin as it is, and its our biggest position of need...

and regarding henry who so many of you claim to be important, i think it has been already proven that any of the 5 backs that we are carrying can have a great year...
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

HighPlainsBronc
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
As for Ramsey, did you watch him in the preseason? He was downright horrible against backups. Imagine what would happen against the Chargers or Bears defense. Defenses would just stack the box to stop Henry and make Ramsey beat them, which he wouldn't/

Therefore, I believe that Cutler is the player we could least afford to lose this season.

Wasn't Ramsey also behind our backup offensive line? That could make a difference. :whoknows:

Crush05
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
NO question it would be CUtler! You lose the leader of the offense and as reported lately the leader of the team all the wind is knocked out of you! If you say otherwise you are somin something!!!!!!:cool:

BroncoWave
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Travis Henry.

He should be to Jay Cutler what Terrell Davis was to John Elway IMO.

What???

Travis Henry is one of the few guys we could afford to lose. We could just stick Young in there and we would still have a solid running game. It would be a dropoff but it wouldn't just spoil our season.

BroncoWave
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Wasn't Ramsey also behind our backup offensive line? That could make a difference. :whoknows:

Well look at the flipside. If he came in now it would be against a starting defense and we would be screwed IMO.

topscribe
09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I am one of those who does not think Ramsey is all that bad. He had a difficult
time adjusting in preseason, but as it went along, he improved dramatically.
Yes, Cutler is in a different league from Ramsey (and most other QBs, in my
opinion), but with our running game and Shanny and Dinger, we would survive.
We would lose a couple more games, perhaps, but we would survive.

Champ was also mentioned. To remove him would be like losing the north wall
to a fort. Yet Bly was a #1 before coming over to the Broncos, and the 7th
ranked #1 at that. So if Champ goes down, we have another #1 taking his
place and a pretty good #2 in Foxy.

The one that would possibly cause me to faint in my tracks would be Nalen.
We have some young bucks coming up, and some potentially good ones. But
they are not anywhere near ready to assume Nalen's position, and he anchors
that line.

But let's face it . . . the loss of any of these guys could knock us out of the
playoffs, which are going to be difficult enough to achieve as it is . . .

IMHO.

-----

Skinny
09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
our DL personel...

and regarding henry who so many of you claim to be important, i think it has been already proven that any of the 5 backs that we are carrying can have a great year...
What???

Travis Henry is one of the few guys we could afford to lose. We could just stick Young in there and we would still have a solid running game. It would be a dropoff but it wouldn't just spoil our season.Losing Henry would have a trickle effect on the whole Offense. Teams are not going to respect nor fear Selvin Young, Mike Bell or whoever . . .

Henry has and brings that respect. Opposing defenses, with THenry in the backfeild, must respect our run game.

When Henry goes, so do the 8 man fronts!

That's the last thing Jay Cutler needs (losing Henry) or wants to see (Nickel and Dime packages).

Therefore my reasoning for picking THenry!

Have a nice day!:D

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes but you have to understand this team has become dependant on Champ Bailey. If we were to lose Champ Bailey for a long period of time then the team would lose confidence. Maybe players that are stronger mentally wont (John Lynch for example) but I'm sure the young guys wouldn't be so confident. Also if our defensive line takes abit of time to "gel" then Quarterbacks will have years to throw which means having the best cornerback in the league is needed if we are to have a chance.

I actually think that if Jay Cutler or Champ Bailey go down then we are in alot of trouble.

Also if Lepsis goes down then we have to play Pears at LT and Meadows ( NOT GOOD!!) at RT. Lepsis is also a good pass blocker on a not so good pass blocking offensive line. I'll put it like this, if Lepsis gets injured then so does Cutler. ;)

Don't misunderstand me, IMO we would be in serious trouble if we lost Champ. I know having him there opens up our D and it improves the confidence of our team. No question about it!

I just feel if I knew Bailey was out for the season I would still feel we can get the job done with Foxy. Teams have won with worse CB tandems then Bly and Foxworth. Remember what the Patriots did when they lost their starting 3 CB's. Some how they got the job done with nobodies.

Of course the Giants won with Hostetler so it is possible to win with out your starting QB. But I wouldn't bet on it.

RBDynasty
09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
It's got to be Cutler. We're building everything around him and basically everything is hinging on how he does this season. If we lose him, we're done.

broncos9697
09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=fcspikeit;9991]
its got to be shanny,what would we do without him all those great calls...oh my...

BroncoWave
09-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Losing Henry would have a trickle effect on the whole Offense. Teams are not going to respect nor fear Selvin Young, Mike Bell or whoever . . .

Henry has and brings that respect. Opposing defenses, with THenry in the backfeild, must respect our run game.

When Henry goes, so do the 8 man fronts!

That's the last thing Jay Cutler needs (losing Henry) or wants to see (Nickel and Dime packages).

Therefore my reasoning for picking THenry!

Have a nice day!:D

I bet no one respected or feared Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, or Reuben Droughns when they first started in Denver but they all had great seasons. To me, running back is the last position we need a big star in. Having Henry is just an added bonus. I think we could still be a playoff team if Henry didn't play a down this season.

BigBroncLove
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think Ramsey is as bad as many are making him out to be. He had some pains, btu also made a great number of good plays using, say it again, backup personel. I do think Ramsey provides some depth for the Broncos at QB. Is it great depth? no, but as far as positions go for the DEnver Broncos, he provides enough of it for me to believe that even though the Broncos wouldn;t be nearly as sharp on execution, they could still win games with the talent of Walker, Henry, Marshall, Graham, Stokley, and hopefully Scheffler out there.

For me there is only one guy that cannot go down this season. One person who doesn;t have any depth behind him, and is at a position of such need that the Broncos will rely on him to win games through the season. That person is Matt Lepsis. With the LT position ravaged from injury (both backups are injured) that would mean sliding Pears back over to LT and leaving a gappign hole at RT. Even then, Pears gave up 6 sacks last year in only half a season, and while he performed admirably for a rookie, he is no LT IMO.

If Matt Lepsis goes down, we will have an aweful time giving whatever QB is in the pocket time to pass, and runs to the left side will be mediocre at best IMO. Stay healthy Lepsis.... please! :pray:

Retired_Member_001
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't misunderstand me, IMO we would be in serious trouble if we lost Champ. I know having him there opens up our D and it improves the confidence of our team. No question about it!

I just feel if I knew Bailey was out for the season I would still feel we can get the job done with Foxy. Teams have won with worse CB tandems then Bly and Foxworth. Remember what the Patriots did when they lost their starting 3 CB's. Some how they got the job done with nobodies.

Of course the Giants won with Hostetler so it is possible to win with out your starting QB. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Remember the point I made about the defensive line though?

If the Defensive Line takes sometime to gel then the opposing Quarterback will most likely have 1,000,000 years to throw, in that case then atleast a very good CB tandem is needed to suceed.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 06:00 PM
You act as if I hate Cutler and would say Curome Cox would be a more costly loss. When Cutler would be the 2nd most costly loss IMO.

And 9 times outta 10 I'd agree with those who say that losing your starting QB is always the worst loss of any player. I've said it before. But the only way I can say that with Champ on the team is if Cutler was already elite or a top tier QB. And IMO he hasn't shown he's there yet. He's only got 5 starts under his belt. Hopefully next year I'll be saying it, but this year I just can't.

Now...just take a second and look at how many games Champ helped save last year. How many picks did he have inside the 5 yd line erasing points of the scoreboard? Look at how defenses can't spread the ball around because he takes away half the field. Hell, just look at how he didn't give up a TD last year. How dominant is that?

Your right Champ did help us win more then a couple games last year. I just can't see how the cornerback position could really ever be as important as the QB position.

Try looking at it this way, Lets say Champ don't get hurt but he plays poorly. He does not shut his corner down, he misses open field tackles and he gets beat at least once every game for a score. In effect he is among the normal CB's in the game. How bad would that hurt us?

Now lets say Cutler plays poorly. He consistently over throws open guys, he consistently throws to double covered receivers and He throws at least one INT every game that goes for six.

Now, what scenario would hurt us more?

Let's look at guys like....Vince Young and Leinart. Those are 2 QBs I wouldn't consider elite. But they don't have a Champ Bailey type player on their sideline. They're both QBs that if they went down it would really drag the team down. Does that mean they're better than Cutler? Of course not. It's just the way it is.

I'm not sure what this is ment to prove? If anything it proves my point. Both of those teams have hope and Neither have a Champ Bailey type corner. They have hope because of what they have at the QB position. Do you think they would trade their QB's for Champ? if they did would they be any better off? Would they have a better chance of making it to the playoffs?

Hawgdriver
09-07-2007, 06:30 PM
IMO if we lost Jay that would result in the biggest swing in our W/L result at season's end. He's the lifeblood of the offense, the physical mind incarnate.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Remember the point I made about the defensive line though?

If the Defensive Line takes sometime to gel then the opposing Quarterback will most likely have 1,000,000 years to throw, in that case then atleast a very good CB tandem is needed to suceed.

So it would be like last year? We didn't do very well last year because of our QB play and your right our secondary (Champ) won us some games at the first of the year. But at the end of the year our defence couldn't keep performing the way it had (Champ couldn't keep saving the day with INT's inside the 20)

What I am trying to say is, I don't think it matters who you have playing CB if your playing a QB like Manning, Brady, Palmer, and you can't get pressure they will beat you. No amount of CB talent can make up for that, even if you had champ on 1 side and Dion on the other. (Man wouldn't that be awesome! :D)

IMO the QB is supposed to win you the game while the CB is supposed to keep you from losing the game. You see the difference?

If a CB does not play bad and doesn't give up to many big plays over the year. No one will be calling for his head at the end of the year. Because he did his job.

Yet if you have a David Carr, type year at QB people want and expect more. Just being solid is not good enough at the QB position. Can you win with a solid Trent Dilfer type QB? Yes if your "whole" defence is good enough! But people still want and expect more from the QB. Why do you think Dilfer was cut after leading his team to a Super Bowl win the year before?

Trust me, if we have a bad year people will not be saying it was champs fault for the bad year. Even if he doesn't play that well. If Cutler on the other hand plays bad you will see a lot of people blaming him for us losing. Is that fair? It is the nature of the job, people expect them to do more then just not lose the game.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
our DL personel...

I totally agree with you about Henry! It would be a drop off for sure if we lost him but I believe we could get the job done with any of the other 4 backs. We have done it before.

I was one of those blaming last years failures on our DL. So I agree with you they have to be solid this year for us to have a real chance.

However, we already lost arguable our best member of the DL this year (Before Rice) and no one said the season was over. Why? People just assumed we would plug another guy there and still be ok, not great, but ok.

IMO, we have more depth there and every other position then we do at the QB position.

fcspikeit
09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
IMO if we lost Jay that would result in the biggest swing in our W/L result at season's end. He's the lifeblood of the offense, the physical mind incarnate.

I like the way you put that :salute:

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Jay Cutler is the one player we can least afford to lose. While I right now Shanahan is going do his best not to put into a position where Jay has to win the game for us, the fact still remains that offense is built around Jay's talents.

anton...
09-07-2007, 11:54 PM
im changing...

im not expecting much from our d line...

so if it gets worse it wouldnt be that much worse...

but our season rests on cutlers shoulders...
________
Medical Marijuana Card (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 11:59 PM

The offense is built around his talents, however I think Shanahan is going to try and keep Jay from having to win game for the team for the time being.

Hawgdriver
09-08-2007, 12:58 AM
yep-- we saw what happened last year. . .

Although Lepsis would surely hurt...we know...Cutler has the greatest impact in terms of W/L at the end of the season. Doesn't he?

Hawgdriver
09-08-2007, 01:10 AM
The offense is built around his talents, however I think Shanahan is going to try and keep Jay from having to win game for the team for the time being.

I agree.

I think the best system would be if you could assign a certain number of wins to each player. Say the Broncos go 11-5. Then maybe Jay got 1.5 of those wins, Lepsis got 1.3, Nalen 1.1, Javon 1.0, Champ 1.0, etc., then you could compare who was most valuable. I'm sure if you spent the time, you could come up with a good system. My guess is that Jay would have the highest projected number for 2007.

So even if Jay is not too burdened with the responsibility of taking the Broncos to the promised land--like Favre is, for example--he's still #1 on that list.

Retired_Member_001
09-08-2007, 10:45 AM
So it would be like last year? We didn't do very well last year because of our QB play and your right our secondary (Champ) won us some games at the first of the year. But at the end of the year our defence couldn't keep performing the way it had (Champ couldn't keep saving the day with INT's inside the 20)

What I am trying to say is, I don't think it matters who you have playing CB if your playing a QB like Manning, Brady, Palmer, and you can't get pressure they will beat you. No amount of CB talent can make up for that, even if you had champ on 1 side and Dion on the other. (Man wouldn't that be awesome! :D)

IMO the QB is supposed to win you the game while the CB is supposed to keep you from losing the game. You see the difference?

If a CB does not play bad and doesn't give up to many big plays over the year. No one will be calling for his head at the end of the year. Because he did his job.

Yet if you have a David Carr, type year at QB people want and expect more. Just being solid is not good enough at the QB position. Can you win with a solid Trent Dilfer type QB? Yes if your "whole" defence is good enough! But people still want and expect more from the QB. Why do you think Dilfer was cut after leading his team to a Super Bowl win the year before?

Trust me, if we have a bad year people will not be saying it was champs fault for the bad year. Even if he doesn't play that well. If Cutler on the other hand plays bad you will see a lot of people blaming him for us losing. Is that fair? It is the nature of the job, people expect them to do more then just not lose the game.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.

First of all Champ Bailey had 5 INT's in the last 6 games of last season. Yes they weren't inside our own 20 but an average cornerback would only have intercepted 2 at most of those 5 INT's. So if not for Champ those could have been 3 scoring drives and most probably they really would have since our defense was full of holes in those last 6 games.

I think losing Jay Cutler would be nearly as bad as losing Champ Bailey for the season and IF this was 2 seasons ahead I would definitley pick Jay Cutler because in two years time I think Jay Cutler will be a Pro Bowl Quarterback ( you heard it) and I think by then Jay Cutler will be winning us alot of games. At this point in time Jay Cutler wont win us as many games as Champ Bailey will save us, also we have other players on the offense who can win us games ( Travis Henry and Javon Walker).

Let's face it, if we lose either of the two for the season we have NO chance whatsoever of winning a Super Bowl but I think if we lost Champ Bailey we would lose more than if we lost Cutler for the season.

Dean
09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
The loss of Mike Shanahan IMO would be irresplaceable. He has won where ever he goes and with whoever is available.

He has been one of if not the best coach in the NFL. Year after year he puts a quality product on the field. :2thumbs: