PDA

View Full Version : Little and Sharpe 2 of the final 17

GEM
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9757

One Step Closer to Canton

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

DENVER -- Two former Broncos have a chance to be immortalized in Canton, Ohio.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee announced the finalists for the Class of 2010 on Friday, and Shannon Sharpe and senior nominee Floyd Little are among the 17 names.

Sharpe, who named to the Pro Bowl seven times as a Bronco and helped the club to two Super Bowl victories, was a finalist for the Hall of Fame Class of 2009, but didn't make it in with a group that included Randall McDaniel, Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson.

Now a finalist again, his former teammates are campaigning for the tight end to make it to Canton in 2010.

"Compare the numbers to the guys who are in the Hall of Fame, and it isn't even close," Rod Smith said. "Three Super Bowls, numerous Pro Bowls, he's a team leader, kept his nose clean -- wasn't a guy who got in trouble in the league or anything. I don't know what else you want."

Sharpe owns more receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, Super Bowl wins and Pro Bowl selections than any of the seven tight ends enshrined in the Hall of Fame. He was named the first-team tight end on the NFL 1990s All-Decade Team, which was chosen by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee members.

When he retired after 14 seasons, he led all NFL tight ends in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, putting together a resume that makes him, in Tony Gonzalez's opinion, "absolutely the greatest of all time when it comes to a career."

Sharpe's most recent accolades include being voted by Broncos fans to the 50th Anniversary Team, and being inducted into the Ring of Fame at halftime of the team's season opener last season. Smith said the next step should be a bust in Canton, Ohio.

"If this is going to be the Hall of Fame," Smith said, "then that guy should be the next one to go in there."

The tight end joins Little in the finalist pool. Little, one of the four original Broncos Ring of Fame inductees and one of just three Broncos to have their jersey retired, was announced as a senior nominee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010 in August.

A first-round pick in 1967 from Syracuse University, Little finished his Broncos career ranked No. 1 on the franchise's all-time list for rushing attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. He played in the Pro Bowl in 1970, 1971 and 1973, and partipcated in the AFL All-Star Game in 1968 and '69.

He led the team in rushing for seven consecutive seasons from 1967-73 -- the longest such streak in club history -- also leading the NFL in rushing in 1971. During his career, the only running back to total more rushing yards than Little was Hall of Famer O.J. Simpson.

He retired as the seventh-leading rusher in NFL history.

"I'm telling you, I'm elated," Little said of being a finalist "It's just unbelievable. I don't know what to say. There have been so many Broncos fans who have been so supportive and have signed petitions and have really been wanting this to happen. I cant thank the Broncos organization and their fans any more."

Terrell Davis was named a semifinalist in November, but was not voted a finalist. The 1998 NFL MVP and Super Bowl XXXII MVP owns franchise records for rushing yards and touchdowns. The three-time Pro Bowler is one of five players ever to rush for 2,000 yards in a season. A Broncos Ring of Famer, Davis notched at least 100 yards rushing in seven of eight playoff games with the team.

Former Broncos Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklenburg, Michael Dean Perry, Dan Reeves and Louis Wright were part of the initial list of nominees, though they did not make the list of semifinalists.

With two former Broncos having a chance at the Hall this year, Little said he hopes the franchise will begin to get a little more recognition in Canton.

"Denver has a history of great players, great athletes, who gave a lot to the game, and somewhere along the line they have to be recognized," he said.

Little and fellow senior nominee Dick LeBeau are voted on separately, though they still have to get the mandatory 80 percent vote to enter the Hall of Fame.

Final voting will be conducted at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee's annual meeting, which will be held on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010 in South Florida the day before Super Bowl XLIV. The election results will be announced immediately afterwards. The largest possible number of inductees in each class is seven, including the senior nominees. The fewest is four.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
GREAT NEWS - Thanks GEM :salute:

ikillz0mbies
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
about frickin time!

GEM
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I love Sharpe to death, but if we are able to get just 1 in there, I hope it's Little. Our older players deserve some recognition. I hope both get it!!

OrangeHoof
01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I hope they both get in but they aren't nearly enough.

drewloc
01-10-2010, 01:16 AM
If little get's in I will be stoked. It's about time some of the people who made this franchise in the early days get recognized. Sharpe should be in as well, but I'm with you GEM, Little would be my first choice. He was the Broncos face during that time period.

Overtime
01-10-2010, 02:08 AM
it would be great if both got in. But I told myself if Sharpe makes it in, I'm going to Canton for the HOF Game and the Induction Ceremony.

pnbronco
01-10-2010, 03:09 AM
It's a crime that Little is not in there already. I can only hope that he makes it this year after all he did for the Broncos.

titan
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
This is Floyd's last chance. As much as I want Shannon to get in, he'll get other chances if he doesn't. Floyd won't. I see Peter King of Sports Illustrated doubting some of Floyd's #'s (career 3.9 rushing avg) - the voters have to realize most of the time Floyd was playing behind an inferior offensive line. They used to say "many of Little's best runs are just to get back to the line of scrimmage"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-10-2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14158159

Floyd Little has no competition for the Hall of Fame. Shannon Sharpe has far too much.

For this reason, Little is four weeks away from election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but Sharpe will probably have to wait four weeks and another 365 days.

The Hall of Fame announced its 17 finalists last week, a number somewhat confusing to the general public because it's really about 15 modern- era finalists and two senior candidates. From the 15 modern finalists, only five can be selected.

Little, the first star in Broncos history and arguably the most overdue candidate for Hall of Fame election, and defensive back-defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau are the two senior candidates who are judged separately and independently. Little and LeBeau wore No. 44 during their playing days. On the eve of Super Bowl 44, there will be 44 voters deciding their fate.

If they study Little's case closely, he should receive 44 votes. When he retired, Little was the NFL's seventh all-time leading rusher. The first six have already been inducted. He led the league in rushing over a six-year period from 1968-73, a time when O.J. Simpson was in his prime. Little ran behind an offensive line that combined for zero Pro Bowl appearances. Jim Taylor's offensive line had 20 Pro Bowls and three Hall of Fame inductions. Jim Brown's blockers combined for 19 Pro Bowls and three bronze busts.

And Little remains one of the most versatile running backs in history. He still ranks in the top 20 in punt-return average, and he averaged 11.0 yards per catch.

"It has been tough to sleep," Little said Saturday. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I wake up thinking about all the people who have been so supportive of me."

Sharpe, though, probably won't be parachuting into Canton this year. Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, and Jerry Rice, the league's all-time leading receiver, will take two spots. Among the other pass catchers, it's probably Cris Carter's turn.

The fourth spot has to go to a pass rusher- defensive lineman — either Charles Haley, Richard Dent or John Randle. The fifth spot should go to Don Coryell — not as a coach, but for his contributions to the downfield passing game that popularized the NFL to the masses. The Hall of Fame voters may also push for an offensive lineman — either Dermontti Dawson or Russ Grimm — for the fifth spot.

Sharpe goes in next year. Little is weeks away from a good night's sleep.