PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Free Agency Outlook

WARHORSE
02-26-2008, 04:43 AM
......That is, according to Bill Williamson

Preparations taking shape for free agency
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post (bwilliamson@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Preparations taking shape for free agency)
Article Last Updated: 02/25/2008 11:59:33 PM MST

While the Broncos are spending the week considering trade proposals, they also are in final preparations for free agency, which begins Friday.
Denver was the NFL's most aggressive team in signing free agents a year ago. But the team, which has about $16 million in salary cap room, isn't expected to make huge headlines this offseason.
The Broncos likely will pursue a few starting-quality players and look for contributors on special teams in free agency. Positions the Broncos will look to strengthen include defensive line, linebacker, safety and wide receiver.
Teams can't talk to free agents until the market opens.
On the defensive line, players the Broncos are believed to be interested in include Cincinnati's Justin Smith, San Francisco's Marques Douglas and Oakland's Tommy Kelly.
At linebacker, Detroit's Boss Bailey, Atlanta's DeMorrio Williams and Pittsburgh's Clark Haggans might be attractive. At safety, the Giants' Gibril Wilson and Carolina's Marquand Manuel could be possibilities.
The free-agent class at wide receiver is thin, but expensive. It includes Chicago's Bernard Berrian, Arizona's Bryant Johnson and Seattle's D.J. Hackett, a former Colorado standout.

Ekuban to free agency.
Barring a last- minute change, the agent for Ebenezer Ekuban said the veteran defensive end will enter free agency on Friday.
"We're going to test free agency and see what happens," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "We'll stay in touch with the Broncos."
It appears fullback Cecil Sapp also is headed for free agency. Several teams, including Kansas City and Miami, are interested in Sapp. The Broncos are headed toward giving safety Hamza Abdullah a restricted free-agency tender, with talks of a long-term deal subsiding.

Rogers trade talk.
Two NFL sources said Monday the Broncos and Lions are not close to finalizing a trade involving Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The Broncos are exploring the idea, but no substantive talks have occurred, with none expected until later in the week.
Detroit general manager Matt Millen has said the Lions would need at least a second-round draft pick for Rogers. Cincinnati, Buffalo and the Jets are expected to push for Rogers. No trade can become official until Friday.
Denver is looking to trade wide receiver Javon Walker. Tampa Bay and Dallas appear to be the most interested.

Williams Memorial. The Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center in Montbello is set to open May 29.

------------------------------------------

This of course means talks have occurred, but no one will say until FAgency hits. That would be tampering of course. A second rounder for Rogers? Id rather give it for Robertson if I had to give up a second for a starting calibre, young, and abusive DT.

Astrass
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
......That is, according to Bill Williamson

Preparations taking shape for free agency
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post (bwilliamson@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Preparations taking shape for free agency)
Article Last Updated: 02/25/2008 11:59:33 PM MST

While the Broncos are spending the week considering trade proposals, they also are in final preparations for free agency, which begins Friday.
Denver was the NFL's most aggressive team in signing free agents a year ago. But the team, which has about $16 million in salary cap room, isn't expected to make huge headlines this offseason.
The Broncos likely will pursue a few starting-quality players and look for contributors on special teams in free agency. Positions the Broncos will look to strengthen include defensive line, linebacker, safety and wide receiver.
Teams can't talk to free agents until the market opens.
On the defensive line, players the Broncos are believed to be interested in include Cincinnati's Justin Smith, San Francisco's Marques Douglas and Oakland's Tommy Kelly.
At linebacker, Detroit's Boss Bailey, Atlanta's DeMorrio Williams and Pittsburgh's Clark Haggans might be attractive. At safety, the Giants' Gibril Wilson and Carolina's Marquand Manuel could be possibilities.
The free-agent class at wide receiver is thin, but expensive. It includes Chicago's Bernard Berrian, Arizona's Bryant Johnson and Seattle's D.J. Hackett, a former Colorado standout.

Ekuban to free agency.
Barring a last- minute change, the agent for Ebenezer Ekuban said the veteran defensive end will enter free agency on Friday.
"We're going to test free agency and see what happens," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "We'll stay in touch with the Broncos."
It appears fullback Cecil Sapp also is headed for free agency. Several teams, including Kansas City and Miami, are interested in Sapp. The Broncos are headed toward giving safety Hamza Abdullah a restricted free-agency tender, with talks of a long-term deal subsiding.

Rogers trade talk.
Two NFL sources said Monday the Broncos and Lions are not close to finalizing a trade involving Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The Broncos are exploring the idea, but no substantive talks have occurred, with none expected until later in the week.
Detroit general manager Matt Millen has said the Lions would need at least a second-round draft pick for Rogers. Cincinnati, Buffalo and the Jets are expected to push for Rogers. No trade can become official until Friday.
Denver is looking to trade wide receiver Javon Walker. Tampa Bay and Dallas appear to be the most interested.

Williams Memorial. The Darrent Williams Memorial Teen Center in Montbello is set to open May 29.

------------------------------------------

This of course means talks have occurred, but no one will say until FAgency hits. That would be tampering of course. A second rounder for Rogers? Id rather give it for Robertson if I had to give up a second for a starting calibre, young, and abusive DT.

Hmm..... 2nd rounder is pretty high. Think I'd rather draft a DT for a 2nd.

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
a 2 two time Pro Bowler in his prime for a 2nd rounder! Sweet! Sign me up

CoachChaz
02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I'd rather give up Walker for Robertson, but I wouldn't complain about giving up a 2nd for Rogers.

underrated29
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Would this be too far fetched to give the jets our 1st and javon for their 2nd vilma and robertson. Or even worth it for us or them?

If it did we could then trade our 2nd #48 (46 whatever) to the lions for rodgers, and use our other 2nd # 38 (jets) or whatever it is on S,DT,LB, devin thomas- i dont know. We wouldnt pick again until the 4th but we would have a stud Lb and two hopeful stud dts plus whoever we pick

Am i just dreaming here, or could this be a possiblity.

fcspikeit
02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
a 2 two time Pro Bowler in his prime for a 2nd rounder! Sweet! Sign me up

People always seem to forget about the high bust rate. Taking anyone in the 2nd is a risk. Although I would vary much like to keep our 2nd I Highly doubt we could get a DT there that is better then Rogers a 2 time pro bowler. We would also have a much higher chance of getting someone a lot worse! There is way more risk in picking a DT in the 2nd then there is with us taking Rogers and the upside for the pick isn't that much greater then with Rogers.

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
People always seem to forget about the high bust rate. Taking anyone in the 2nd is a risk. Although I would vary much like to keep our 2nd I Highly doubt we could get a DT there that is better then Rogers a 2 time pro bowler. We would also have a much higher chance of getting someone a lot worse! There is way more risk in picking a DT in the 2nd then there is with us taking Rogers and the upside for the pick isn't that much greater then with Rogers.

I think alot of us are having a tough time with Rogers because of the following:

Dan Wilkerson
Sam Adams
Gerard Warren............although, he wasn't all that bad.

And we had another DT that weighed 325 or so that we picked up that ended up getting cut. So, it's not so much people don't want Rogers but more that they are really cautious.

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I will say this though..............Rogers is the fastest 350 pounder I've seen in a long time. I think he is night and day between Sam Adams.

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
It would be nice to trade back in the 2nd round if we can and then give the Lions a later 2nd round pick that we currently have.

underrated29
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
It would be nice to trade back in the 2nd round if we can and then give the Lions a later 2nd round pick that we currently have.

yes it would. Did you see my post a few post up?

MHCBill
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to still have Gerrard Warren?

Traded for a 4th round pick. Very good deal gone bad when we threw him away last year.

He's no pro-bowler, but if we held onto him I don't think we would be discussing trading away our #2 pick right now.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
warren is not that great. he's a little above average.

and dont put sam adams and dan wilkerson in the same sentence as shaun rogers.

rogers is still young and his prime.
those 2 other fat guys were old and done.

nevcraw
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I think alot of us are having a tough time with Rogers because of the following:

Dan Wilkerson
Sam Adams
Gerard Warren............although, he wasn't all that bad.

And we had another DT that weighed 325 or so that we picked up that ended up getting cut. So, it's not so much people don't want Rogers but more that they are really cautious.

Don't forget IHOP..

WARHORSE
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
If we sign Rogers, I dont want to hear any whining if he headlines on the show "Good DTs Gone Bad".:tsk:

Im up for takin a shot at him, Im hopin the new lockeroom and atmosphere helps give him a new attitude.................at least for a year so we can win the superbowl.:D If he goes 'Gerard Warren' after that, then lets beat him with a splintered cane pole until he gets it back right.

But NO whining.:coffee:

CoachChaz
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
This thread has turned into "List all the reasons why Robertson would be a better acquisition than Rogers"

Stargazer
02-27-2008, 02:12 AM

I'm not. Stay away from Rogers regarding our 1st, and 2nd picks. And if the team had a 3rd, I wouldn't ship it to Detroit.

broncohead
02-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Has Dante Sallworth (sorry if I spelled wrong) been released? WR option.

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Has Dante Sallworth (sorry if I spelled wrong) been released? WR option.

He's a FA. I'd like us to stay away from him. Go get Hackett already! (or Johnson)...

nj10
02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Dallas is interested in Javon? Only if we get Marion Barber :) ( yeah I know...)

TimBuff10
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
DJ Hackett would fit great. Let Javon Walker go where he wants and have Hackett replace him... UPGRADE!

WR would be set then with Stokely as the #3.

turftoad
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
If we can come away with Bryant Johnson, Madieu Williams in FA and trade for Robertson before the draft I'd be a happy guy.