PDA

View Full Version : LB Combine Risers and Sliders

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
The linebackers took to the RCA Dome on Monday afternoon to complete their combine journey. There were a number of surprise performances by unheralded prospects at the position while several highly-ranked prospects were not as lucky.

Risers

Stanford Keglar, Purdue: Keglar had the best combine performance of any linebacker from top to bottom. He weighed in at 239 pounds then completed 29 reps on the bench, best at the position. He then sped across the floor of the RCA Dome with times of 4.63 and 4.65 seconds in the forty. Keglar also stood out in drills, showing a lot of skill in pass coverage.

Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt: Goff was one of the bigger surprises of the day, displaying athleticism many thought he was incapable of. His forty times ranged in the high 4.6 area and he really stood out in the practice session. Goff was quick, explosive and covered a lot of area on the field during pass coverage drills, a skill he was not known for in college.

Jerod Mayo, Tennessee: Mayo also the fastest of the top linebackers with times that ranged between 4.59 and 4.60 seconds. He looked terrific in drills and, like Goff, was better than expected in pass coverage. Mayo did not lift on the bench press, which was a disappointment.

Wesley Woodyard Jr., Kentucky: Woodyard was the speediest linebacker in attendance, clocking 4.50 seconds in his forty, with a few watches reading as fast as 4.47 seconds. He was fluid and displayed quick feet during the practice session which is important. Woodyard weighed in at just 227 pounds, which makes him a one-gap linebacker candidate.

Gary Guyton, Georgia Tech: Guyton ran times of 4.56 and 4.58 seconds. He displayed quickness in drills, easily moving about the field and always staying on balance.

Tavares Gooden, Miami-Fla: Gooden completed 22 reps on the bench after weighing 234 pounds. He turned in solid times in the upper 4.6s then looked good during drills before leaving the field with an injury.

Steve Octavien, Nebraska: Octavien was one of the few bright lights for the Cornhuskers last season and continued to shine at the combine. He ran times of 4.7 seconds during both runnings of the forty and stood out in pass coverage. Octavien weighed in at 238 pounds and completed a surprising 26 reps on the bench.

Sliders

Philip Wheeler, Georgia Tech: Wheeler ran poorly in the forty, timing between the upper 4.7 range to the low 4.8 area. He looked stiff and sluggish in drills and did nothing to dispel the belief he's a one dimensional run stuffing linebacker.

Ali Highsmith, LSU: Highsmith dealt a serious blow to his draft grade during his workout. He weighed just 230 pounds then was unable to run faster then five seconds in the forty. Highsmith performed poorly during drills and his lack of speed was apparent.

Geno Hayes, Florida State: Hayes made a questionable decision leaving Florida State after his junior season and that choice looks even worse after the combine. He measured under 6-foot-1 and weighed just 226 pounds. Hayes was known for his speed with the Seminoles yet ran a pedestrian 4.75 seconds in the forty.

Steve Allen, West Texas A&M: Allen did not perform at the combine the way a small school prospect needs to. He weighed 236 pounds and barely broke 4.9 seconds in the forty. Allen was able to complete just 17 reps on the bench.

I love Mayo, Goff and Gooden. Glad to hear they showed well at the combine. The speed Mayo showed tells me he's not making it to us in round 2...if he even makes it out of round 1.

lex
02-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Id love to take Goff seeing how well he did. I think he's from Boston actually but has said he grew up a Broncos fan. Its time for him to come home.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I know we're not getting 2 LBs, but if we did trade back...Mayo, Goff and DJ would make my liver quiver.

lex
02-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I know we're not getting 2 LBs, but if we did trade back...Mayo, Goff and DJ would make my liver quiver.

Mayo and Goff are both Mikes. Actually, if Goff can run like that, Id be cool with taking him and in the 2nd taking a RT...like Carl Nicks or Cherilus.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Mayo can play outside. He played middle at UT, but he projects well at MLB or OLB in the NFL.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:40 AM
...but feel free to insert Erin Henderson's name for either if yer not sold on Mayo on the outside.

G_Money
02-26-2008, 12:42 AM
My boy Woodyard did really well. I'd still move him to safety, but if you gave me the choice between him, Ali Highsmith and Xavier Adibi as a smaller, fast-as-hell Will, I'd take Wesley.

Kid's a player.

Leman and Moffitt both didn't show, right? I think that hurts a lot.

Mayo's gonna make some money in April.

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:45 AM
My boy Woodyard did really well. I'd still move him to safety, but if you gave me the choice between him, Ali Highsmith and Xavier Adibi as a smaller, fast-as-hell Will, I'd take Wesley.

Kid's a player.

~G

yeah...I don't think Leman or Moffitt were there. Connor got sent home and I heard Rivers may have as well. I hafta say,. Adibi looked better than I thought he would. Highsmith may not even get drafted after today. he looked small, slow and stiff.

lex
02-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Kid's a player.

~G

Moffitt was there. And I agree with Woodyard. If he was still there in the 4th, I wouldnt complain at all if we took him. He's smart, fast and can tackle...whats not to like....plus he can play two positions.

Edit- I see both Leman and Moffitt were there but didnt run.

G_Money
02-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah you're right, Moffitt did the measurables (Except the 40, for some reason) and also skipped the positional drills, IIRC. He wasn't on my screen when I was watching, anyway, and Mayock said he wasn't drilling.

I'm glad he did some, because he was good at the ones he did.

I guess he thought the 40 could hurt him and wants to run it at USF.

~G

JONtheBRONCO
02-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Watched Mayo tonight, would love him in round 2.

MHCBill
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Kid's a player.

~GI think I'm going to have to change my sig...

I've been on G's bandwagon about Woodyard as a SS, but I don't think it's going to happen. He will be drafted as an OLB.

However, we do need to get one LB out of this draft class. Much better value with our #2 pick than at #1 for a linebacker.

If we select Goff, Mayo, or Bell I say move DJ back to weak-side.

If we select Rivers, Connor, Woodyard, or Wheeler then DJ stays in the middle.

shank
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
i thought goff looked great, but i don't know how much he improved his stock. do people see him at the top of the 2nd now? maybe early 1st? or is that too high?

lex
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
i thought goff looked great, but i don't know how much he improved his stock. do people see him at the top of the 2nd now? maybe early 1st? or is that too high?

Im sure Don Banks probably knows.

shank
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Im sure Don Banks probably knows.

i don't get it.:confused:

Requiem / The Dagda
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I disagree with Wheeler and Hayes having their stock drop.

Hayes weighing in at 226 is a plus considering he played a 210 at Florida State. Doesn't seem like he's had a problem putting on more weight as well. As far as Wheeler running 4.7; that was about his expected time; not only that, he's put on about 15 pounds as well. Had he stayed at around 235 and not be near 250; I'd of expected a 4.55 time or so. Doing poorly in the drills might hurt him, but he's still a quality prospect.

They both are.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Not to mention they both play faster than they time. :cool:

G_Money
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I dunno that it dropped Wheeler's stock (I still see him going in the 2nd) but he didn't get the boost to the first round that he could have gotten from smashing up the Combine.

He had some momentum and buzz going into the Combine and didn't add to it. So I say he still goes in the 2nd round. Which is good for us if we want a 2nd round LB.

Ali Highsmith, OTOH, better run half-a-second better on his pro day or he HAS dropped. Which doesn't bother me - he was never my guy anyway.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was stunned by Highsmith's time. He prides himself on his speed and athleticism, depsite the fact that over a dozen DL and OL ran faster than him. I still like Ali though, but he was very, very disappointing.

Watchthemiddle
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
What about Dizon? Up, down, same??