PDA

View Full Version : Not ready to post in Boss's thread, BUT...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Stewart is a badass. I love the guy. However, I am having trouble deciding between he and Mendenhall. Both are big, cut, gunned up goons who can tote the rock and as evidenced by the 40 times, both are basically the same speed. JS is bigger and more powerful inside. This would help our goalline issues. However RM is smoother in his cuts and would seem to be a better fit. Decisions...decisions.

Scarface
02-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I'd take either one and not be mad. But I'd prefer Mendenhall because he can hit the cutback and run downhill on you. I'd be happy either way though. Get Cutler weapons!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/RB/rashard-mendenhall-illini-1.jpg

Honestly though drafting a LT in RD1 and Forte in RD2 or 3 would be even better!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 12:47 AM
I'd wait on OT. See what Harris can do. If he fails, we go all out for a stud OT in 2009.

Scarface
02-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd wait on OT. See what Harris can do. If he fails, we go all out for a stud OT in 2009.

No way dude. Bookend it. Draft a stud and have them compete for the LT spot. Loser gets RT. Cutler and our offense would be the beneficiary.

MOtorboat
02-26-2008, 12:52 AM
No way dude. Bookend it. Draft a stud and have them compete for the LT spot. Loser gets RT. Cutler and our offense would be the beneficiary.

14 of the last 22 left tackles on Super Bowl team (12 Super Bowls) were drafted by the team they played for in the Super Bowl in the first round. 18 were drafted in the first round, and four were later acquired by their team.

It's no joke, people, LT is a prime position, and the Broncos need one, bad...Clady/Otah...just do it.

Scarface
02-26-2008, 12:55 AM
14 of the last 22 left tackles on Super Bowl team (12 Super Bowls) were drafted by the team they played for in the Super Bowl in the first round. 18 were drafted in the first round, and four were later acquired by their team.

It's no joke, people, LT is a prime position, and the Broncos need one, bad...Clady/Otah...just do it.

Yep. How badass was it when we had Zimm and T-Bone? Bookend it Shanny. I'd prefer Clady/Alberts/or Williams but wouldn't be upset with Otah.

lex
02-26-2008, 01:02 AM

Its not that people are unaware of what youre saying. Theres clearly value there but Shanahan has also suggested he will want to give Harris a shot in his last press conference...and at the same time, he said Young and Hall arent bellcows. Yeah, I know Henrys contract was reworked but that makes it easier to cut him if we find someone better. And if not LT, RB is the position of value at 12.

MOtorboat
02-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Its not that people are unaware of what youre saying. Theres clearly value there but Shanahan has also suggested he will want to give Harris a shot in his last press conference...and at the same time, he said Young and Hall arent bellcows. Yeah, I know Henrys contract was reworked but that makes it easier to cut him if we find someone better. And if not LT, RB is the position of value at 12.

I see it as a complete reach. That clearly isn't the popular opinion, but I see both as reaches. I see two potential LTs in Otah and Clady in a complete position of need, and I feel we need to pull the trigger.

Why? Because the running back is a reflection of the offensive line. Adrian Peterson is a stud, and I will tout myself for calling his praises last year, but let's not kid about the left side of the Minnesota offensive line, it's spectacular, and that made him a superstar. There are no Barry Sanders left, you need an offensive line. Mendenhall and Stewart are not Sanders. Therefore a solid left tackle is more important, imo.

MHCBill
02-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Then why did we draft Harris?

He has to be given the shot first.

We will not be competing for a deep run into the playoffs this year so find out where Harris is at.

Get the stud RB now while we draft this high and have our offensive weaons set for the next 5-8 years.

Let Harris play and then make the decision whether or not we need to get a different LT. We may have a stud LT right now... we have to find out first.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
It's funny how people say that Mendenhall can hit the cut lanes better and that he is more agile, yet Stewart did better in every drill he did except the forty, 4.45 to Stewarts 4.48 is the only difference.

Stewart is just as fast and he is bigger and stronger... I think he would actually be just as good if not better at hitting the cut back lanes.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm on the Stewart bandwagon, but I'd prefer the LT first. Regardless of who our back is, the offense will revolve around Jay and his health is more of a concern to me than a stud RB at the moment.

MHCBill
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Then why did we draft Harris?

He has to be given the shot first.

We will not be competing for a deep run into the playoffs this year so find out where Harris is at.

Get the stud RB now while we draft this high and have our offensive weaons set for the next 5-8 years.

Let Harris play and then make the decision whether or not we need to get a different LT. We may have a stud LT right now... we have to find out first.Again, why did we draft Harris?

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Again, why did we draft Harris?

Good question. My opinion is that if we are going to draft long term protection for Cutler, it has to be a stud in the first round. Let Harris compete for the job, but right now, I'd prefer a day 1 starter like Clady, etc. at LT and Harris at RT if he can handle it. Anything that keeps Pears off the field is fine by me

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
When was the last time we had a stud 1st round pick protecting Elway or any of the other QB's that have played in Denver?

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
When was the last time we had a stud 1st round pick protecting Elway or any of the other QB's that have played in Denver?

Exactly. Seems like it might be a decent investment for a change

lex
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
It's funny how people say that Mendenhall can hit the cut lanes better and that he is more agile, yet Stewart did better in every drill he did except the forty, 4.45 to Stewarts 4.48 is the only difference.
Stewart is just as fast and he is bigger and stronger... I think he would actually be just as good if not better at hitting the cut back lanes.

No, Mendenhall actually won the 20 yard cone drill at 235 when Stewart wasnt even on the leader board, whereas Stewart was only marginally stronger than Mendenhall. Stewart had, what, 2 more bench reps?

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
No, Mendenhall actually won the 20 yard cone drill at 235 when Stewart wasnt even on the leader board, whereas Stewart was only marginally stronger than Mendenhall. Stewart had, what, 2 more bench reps?

Stewart didn't run... and Mendenhall's 20 yard cone drill wasn't that great. Just because he had the better time of the backs who ran it... which wasn't a lot... doesn't mean it was a great time.... might want to compare that to other positions... I'm sure there are tightends who can run that in the 20 yard cone drill. I'm not that impressed and like I said... everything that Mendenhall did at 225, Stewart did better at 235, except the forty which was only a .03 difference and the 10 extra pounds that Stewart carries tells me that Stewart is a little more impressive.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 10:48 AM
40 Yard Dash
Stewart: 4.48
Mendenhall: 4.45

Bench
Stewart: 28
Mendenhall: 26

Vertical
Stewart: 36.5
Mendenhall: 33.5

Broad Jump
Stewart: 10'8"
Mendenhall: 10'

3 Cone Drill
Neither did event

20 Yard Shuffle
Mendenhall: 4.18

60 Yard Shuffle
Neither did event

Other times in the 20 Yard Shuffle and to note a lot of guys didn't even run:

QB:
Brink, Alex 4.19

RB:
Jones, Felix 4.19
Hilliard, Lex 4.20
Rice, Ray 4.20

WR:
Shields, Arman 3.96
Caldwell, Andre 4.11
Douglas, Harry 4.12
Grice-Mullen, Ryan 4.16
Johnson, Jaymar 4.18
Garcon, Pierre 4.19
Burton, Keenan 4.20
Hardy, James 4.20
Bennett, Earl 4.22

TE's
Keller, Dustin 4.14
Fine, Derek 4.19

DE's
Long, Chris 4.21

S
Warrick, Nehemiah 4.09
Sumrall, Brandon 4.10
Roach, David 4.15

CB
Porter, Tracy 4.07
Walker, Marcus 4.07
Cason, Antoine 4.08
Grant, Michael 4.10
McKelvin, Leodis 4.10
Molden, Antwaun 4.14
Jackson, Chevis 4.15

LB
Keglar, Stanford 3.98
Vobora, David 4.14
Moffitt, Ben 4.21
Grant, Larry 4.22

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Come on over lex....we are taking new applications for the Stewart fan club.

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd take either one and not be mad. But I'd prefer Mendenhall because he can hit the cutback and run downhill on you. I'd be happy either way though. Get Cutler weapons!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/RB/rashard-mendenhall-illini-1.jpg

Honestly though drafting a LT in RD1 and Forte in RD2 or 3 would be even better!

Cutler needs a left tackle to use them weapons.

Scarface
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM

They don't have a drill for vision. Plus he was the #1 rb for 20 yd shuttle.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
They don't have a drill for vision. Plus he was the #1 rb for 20 yd shuttle.

And how many runningbacks actually ran the 20 yard shuffle?

Scarface
02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
It's not Mendenahall's fault if everyone else was scared.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
It's not Mendenahall's fault if everyone else was scared.

Sure.... I'm sure that all the tightends and several other positions that had just as good of a time if not better are just so fast because Mendenhall's time is so impressive.

Guess what scare... Mendenhall's 20 time isn't that good. Actually all the backs that did run it would of been better off not running it because it is a very average score. Considering Mendenhall's size... it is pretty good, but not amazing by any means.

Scarface
02-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Lighten up, dude. We're talking about a 20yd shuttle.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Look at some of the shuttle times for the 2006 combine:

Jerome Harrison: 4.07
Mike Bell: 4.21
QB Gradkowski: 4.16
Ingle Martin: 4.17
Marcus Vick: 4.08
Shockley: 4.17
Erik Meyers: 4.12
Quinton Porter: 4.10
Charlie Whitehurst: 4.10
Tony Scheffler: 4.01
Garrett Mills: 4.05
Owen Daniels: 4.01

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Lighten up, dude. We're talking about a 20yd shuttle.

Exactly... so why does every insist that Mendenhall is better than Stewart or they are more impressed with Mendenhall... I just don't get it... Mendenhall had one good college season. For all we know he could be a one year wonder. Stewart weighs 10 pounds more than Mendenhall and out did him in every single combine drill except for the forty yard dash. 4.45 to 4.48. 4.48 is more impressive considering Stewart is a bigger back.

Then you have people talking about how Mendenhall was the fastest back in the 20 yard shuffle and that proves he is quicker of the start... yet I have a good feeling that a lot of people don't realize that 1st, his time isn't great, #2 most of the backs didn't even run in the 20 yard shuffle.

Scarface
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Combine measurables aren't going to prove who the better back is. We'll find that out over the next few seasons. They're both big and fast. But when I watch Mendenhall I see a back that can hit the cutback lane (pretty important in our offense) and get downhill on you quick. I wouldn't mind either back in Denver but I prefer Mendenhall.

BOSSHOGG30
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Combine measurables aren't going to prove who the better back is. We'll find that out over the next few seasons. They're both big and fast. But when I watch Mendenhall I see a back that can hit the cutback lane (pretty important in our offense) and get downhill on you quick. I wouldn't mind either back in Denver but I prefer Mendenhall.

When I watch Mendenhall I see a guy who likes to bounce it outside.. he is a better outside the tackles runner than he is a inside the tackles runner. Stewart is the opposite. Stewart is great inbetween the tackles and less talented to the outside.... Now don't get me wrong.. both guys are good at what I say are their weaknesses, but one is better than the other as an inside runner versus and outside runner.

With that in mind... Denver already has a outside runner in Selvin Young.... We need that inside guy.

Why would we be interested in Mendenhall again over Stewart?

Npba900
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Stewart will excel in Denver's zone blocking running scheme. Give Stewart an athletic agile lead blocking FB weighing btwn 250 and 260 like the ones available in this years draft (Schmitt, Caulcrick or Cox), and Denver vastly upgrades its running game. Especially inside the 20.

eessydo
02-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Compared to Clady, Otah is big and slow. I am going to be the first to start the SAY NOTOOTAH campaign.