View Full Version : Broncos may get offensive boost

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Broncos may get offensive boost
First-round pick not tied to defense
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 02/24/2008 11:19:10 PM MST

INDIANAPOLIS — It's clear the Broncos' greatest needs are on defense.

Yet, as the draft preparation for the Broncos hit full swing during the NFL scouting combine, an interesting dilemma unfolded. It's apparent there will be more value on offense when the Broncos are scheduled to pick with the 12th selection of the first round on April 26.

"This draft looks to be very strong at some key positions on offense," Pittsburgh Steelers executive Kevin Colbert said. "There's talent there."

The Broncos might be stuck in a defensive no man's land, but they are in position to acquire one of several intriguing offensive players.

Defensive stalwarts such as tackles Glenn Dorsey of LSU and Sedrick Ellis of USC and end Chris Long of Virginia are sure top-10 picks. But then the defensive talent thins out.

The Broncos need a defensive tackle, a linebacker and a safety. But at No. 12, it might not make much sense to select at those positions.

North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer excites some teams, but he might be best suited for a 3-4 defense and is considered raw. At linebacker, Penn State's Dan Connor and USC's Keith Rivers are considered first-round players, but both could be a reach at No. 12.

The Broncos, who are putting the finishing touches on their plan for the start of free agency Friday, believe safety is a weak position in the draft. With veteran John Lynch potentially closing in on departure this week, the Broncos likely will attempt to solve their safety concerns, as well as other defensive needs, in free agency.

The Broncos' biggest desires offensively are on the line, where the youth movement continues, and at wide receiver. Javon Walker will be traded or cut by March 4, when he is due a large option bonus.

The Broncos are sure to be able to fuel their offensive needs at No. 12. This is considered to be one of the strongest groups of offensive tackles available in years. The Broncos lost left tackle Matt Lepsis to retirement the day after the season. The current plan is for 2007 third-round pick Ryan Harris, who also can play right tackle, to take over. The top choices at offensive tackle are Boise State's Ryan Clady, Pitt's Jeff Otah and Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, who played with Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler for two years, and USC's Sam Baker.

Clady says he fits the Broncos' mold very well.

"We were primarily a zone team, and I'm kind of like a Denver Broncos-type offensive lineman," Clady said. "We cut a lot and position block."

Added Otah, "I think I would fit what the Broncos do, and they are looking at linemen."

In recent years, the Broncos have shown interest in trading in the first round. At this point, trading down could be a more likely scenario because of the talent available at No. 12 and because the Broncos, who don't have a third-round pick, are interested in compiling more higher-round picks. If they choose to move up via a trade, Ellis and Dorsey likely would be the targets.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8354595

broncosfanscott
02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
That pretty much sums it up. The more I think about it, getting more picks seems to be the best option which would help us get what we need as well as depth.

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm really leaning toward OT at 12. Bottom line, Cutlers needs protection on the blind side. Although it's not a glamor position, it's a position of necessity to be successful on offense. We have to strengthen the offensive line to be successful next year.

SR
02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Kiper has us picking Clady at 12. Personally, I'd pick an OT as well. We can fill our holes at LB and safety in the later rounds or via free agency. I'm still holding out hope we can sign Bryant Johnson from the Cards via FA to fill our #2 WR vacancy.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 11:40 PM
We can draft all the running backs and receivers we want and it won't matter. If Jay is on his back all game, none of them will get many touches.

broncohead
02-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Clady will most likely have the best value at 12 and wouldn't be a bad pick. I still think we need as much help on the defensive side of the ball as we can get.

nevcraw
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Williams form Vandy would also make a lot sense at 12. He maybe a bit more polished.

Lonestar
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Williams form Vandy would also make a lot sense at 12. He maybe a bit more polished.

well Jay likes him..

turftoad
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Some of the so called "experts" have him rated higher than Clady.

CoachChaz
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
The difference is Williams is "maybe" more polished and "maybe" on an equal level with Clady. But 2 or 3 years down the road...who will be the better player?

G_Money
02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Most importantly to me, drafting one of the great OTs in this draft would be a clear sign that Shanny understands the value of the position and isn't gonna try to bargain-basement it with Pears and Harris alone.

I don't mind Pears and Harris duking it out for ONE of the starting tackle positions. I'd hate for them both to be the de-facto starters by the end of April.

~G

broncosfanscott
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm really leaning toward OT at 12. Bottom line, Cutlers needs protection on the blind side. Although it's not a glamor position, it's a position of necessity to be successful on offense. We have to strengthen the offensive line to be successful next year.

Totally, I mean look how Joe Thomas helped the Browns.

TimBuff10
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
The smart thing to do with our first pick is to take the best player available that isn't a QB or TE. Once you get 40-50 picks into the draft then you start filling needs.

Teams get too caught up with trying to pick a certain position with that first pick and they miss out on the Randy Moss, Adrian Petersons, Warren Sapps, and those types.

Lonestar
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
The smart thing to do with our first pick is to take the best player available that isn't a QB or TE. Once you get 40-50 picks into the draft then you start filling needs.

Teams get too caught up with trying to pick a certain position with that first pick and they miss out on the Randy Moss, Adrian Petersons, Warren Sapps, and those types.3

everyone passed on Randi moss because of his history.. Most everyone thought he had the talent but figured he'd be big pain in the ass they did not think he would make it in the NFL figured he'd be in prison..

I suspect if culpepper had not been there he might have come and went real fast can you imagine him going to CLE during that time frame? With a total loser squad and NO QB..

TimBuff10
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, same deal with Sapp, and Peterson had people worried he would get hurt.

If Shanny is going to draft and bring in FAs with sketchy histories at least make sure they can play. If McFadden starts slipping because of a bad Wunderlick score, or because he has a funky background, get him anyway if he is there... Just don't reach for people with shady backgrounds and definetly don't take them after the first pick. That is where teams are built and crackheads don't make good foundations.

Hobe
02-28-2008, 08:15 PM
That pretty much sums it up. The more I think about it, getting more picks seems to be the best option which would help us get what we need as well as depth.

Yeah, and the draft is still a month and a half away. :banghead: