PDA

View Full Version : This Is a Tight End

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
You want to talk about a receiving tight end? Tony Sheffler? That guy can't block, compete for footballs, and when they're tossed to him he might drop them. That's not a receiving Tight End, this is a receiving tight end.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i2hTTPsrb1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i2hTTPsrb1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
And to all of the Broncos fans who chose to root for a player over the team, you need to get your fandom priorities straight. First Jay Cutler now Sheffler, Hillis and so on.

CrazyHorse
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
How dare you? THIS is a tight end.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-kZwXqunOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-kZwXqunOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
How dare you? THIS is a tight end.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-kZwXqunOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-kZwXqunOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shannon wasn't a tight end, He was a hall of fame football player, you can't compare any TE in league history to shannon sharpe, and don't even get me started on tony gonzalez. Shannon Sharpe is a future hall of famer, Vernon davis is a tight end.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
This is a tight end...
http://www.freewebs.com/cliffeby/tight%20end.bmp

JDL
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
This is a tight end...

Agreed.

KCL
01-07-2010, 06:47 PM
This thread is worthless without a picture of the best TE to ever play the game...
but I will fix that!!!! Yummy...so hot!

I would post a video but we've all seen what Tony does on the field!!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/kcladyfan/tonyg.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/kcladyfan/tonybb.jpg

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
This thread is worthless without a picture of the best TE to ever play the game...

You mean that guy that hated playing for the chiefs?

KCL
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
You mean that guy that hated playing for the chiefs?

Tony didn't hate playing for the Chiefs...he just wanted to move on and I don't blame him.

CrazyHorse
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Tony didn't hate playing for the Chiefs...he just wanted to move on and I don't blame him.

I'd bet he'd like to have some jewelry like Shannon.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Best TE to never.. EVER... win a playoff game. Tony is just the best TE that has played for the Chiefs.

Northman
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM

So, he hated playing for the Chiefs. :lol:

Superchop 7
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
And nobody was higher on Vernon Davis than I was.

Ask Scribe.

BroncoAV06
01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
To bad no one has ever called Tony anything more then a pass catching TE. Like how one play that is very questionable defines a player.

KCL
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd bet he'd like to have some jewelry like Shannon.

I bet he would too.

Best TE to never.. EVER... win a playoff game. Tony is just the best TE that has played for the Chiefs.

Yes the Chiefs have never had a TE like him before and we don't now..and hopefully he will get a ring someday before he decides to call it quits.

So, he hated playing for the Chiefs. :lol:

no he didn't...he was with the Chiefs for years...like I said he wanted to move on and I don't blame him.

Buff
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
And nobody was higher on Vernon Davis than I was.

Ask Scribe.

Wow you really went out on a limb there...

Everyone was high on the guy... He had measurables through the roof at the combine and film to go along with it. Of course we'd like to have Davis, but you can say that about 70% of the top ten picks year in and year out.

SR
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
This thread is a ******* joke.

FanInAZ
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Davis was my most consistant FF producer all season long. He was more consistant for me than even Schaub and Peterson.

shank
01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
and it only took him 4 years

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
and it only took him 4 years

A valid point, especially since Sheffler just finished his fourth season.

shank
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM

VD was terrible his first couple seasons. if he wasn't a 1st round pick, they might not have waited for him to figure it out.

JMHO

Dreadnought
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
VD was terrible his first couple seasons. if he wasn't a 1st round pick, they might not have waited for him to figure it out.

JMHO

Exactly - he was within a whisker of being an out and out bust, though it appears the light may have finally gone off for him. Still, if I was given a choice tween Scheffler and Davis I'd take Scheff in a heartbeat. Better receiver, better speed, and (this season's soap opera notwithstanding) a better overall attitude. The list of TE's I'd prefer over VD is pretty lengthy to be honest

Buff
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Exactly - he was within a whisker of being an out and out bust, though it appears the light may have finally gone off for him. Still, if I was given a choice tween Scheffler and Davis I'd take Scheff in a heartbeat. Better receiver, better speed, and (this season's soap opera notwithstanding) a better overall attitude. The list of TE's I'd prefer over VD is pretty lengthy to be honest

VD is a freak athlete and a complete TE. Scheff is fast and has made some nice catches, but he's not in the same ballpark as Davis. It's not even close really.

I think part of VD's struggles stemmed from the fact that San Fran changed QBs and offenses every year since he was drafted. He may have had an attitude problem, but so does Scheff.

Nomad
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
This thread is a ******* joke.

Except for weazel's version of a 'tight end':eyebrows:

claymore
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM

http://acrobaticseveryday.com/blog/images/barf.jpg

claymore
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Except for weazel's version of a 'tight end':eyebrows:

I never wanted to be a bicycle seat so bad. :schwing:!!!!

Dreadnought
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
VD is a freak athlete and a complete TE. Scheff is fast and has made some nice catches, but he's not in the same ballpark as Davis. It's not even close really.

I think part of VD's struggles stemmed from the fact that San Fran changed QBs and offenses every year since he was drafted. He may have had an attitude problem, but so does Scheff.

Scheff has no attitude problem, unless you believe McD. Guess what?

Buff
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Scheff has no attitude problem, unless you believe McD. Guess what?

I'd be pissed if I weren't getting the ball too... And I'm a Scheffler fan. I think we're underutilizing him. But there is a right way and a wrong way to handle it. Complaining to everyone within shouting distance and announcing your frustration to the media is the wrong way.

arapaho2
01-08-2010, 01:04 PM

no its because the 9er coach utilizes a fast pass catching TE in his offese all over the field, on any down

our coach uses the pass catching TE just occassionaly

Poet
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Davis was close to being a bust and at one point in time was considered to be a cancer.

He's probably the most talented player to ever play his position.

I'd still take Witten or Gates over him.

KCL
01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
http://acrobaticseveryday.com/blog/images/barf.jpg

I didn't...

Ravage!!!
01-08-2010, 01:47 PM

when was VD draftd compared to sheff?

Poet
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
To be fair to Davis, he's had some pretty awful QB's throwing him the ball. There is no way I'd take Scheff over him on the field, and seeing how I do believe that he has an attitude problem and his is more recent than Davis'...

http://www.nfl.com/players/search?filter=vernon+davis&category=name&playerType=current

13 Touchdowns is a beastly number for a running back rushing, let alone a tight end receiving the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyscheffler/profile?id=SCH095691

If Vernon Davis decides he wants to be as good as he could be he'll go down as the best tight end to ever step on the field.

Dreadnought
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
when was VD draftd compared to sheff?

Considering Scheffler pretty consistently outperformed Davis from 2006-08 I'd say we got the better deal. Davis finally caught on this season, but Scheffler was barely used so its not a valid comparison.

Poet
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Considering Scheffler pretty consistently outperformed Davis from 2006-08 I'd say we got the better deal. Davis finally caught on this season, but Scheffler was barely used so its not a valid comparison.

But Davis just outclassed everything Scheff ever did while playing on the Niners. They just overachieved to get to 500. , Dreadnought, I assure you that barring injury Davis is always going to outproduce Scheff by a pretty heavy margin.

Dreadnought
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
But Davis just outclassed everything Scheff ever did while playing on the Niners. They just overachieved to get to 500. , Dreadnought, I assure you that barring injury Davis is always going to outproduce Scheff by a pretty heavy margin.

"Outproduce" Depends on your favorite stat I guess. Mine is yards per catch, not catches, and Davis will never match a healthy Scheffler as a deep threat. All he has is physical "measurables", and I could care less about those. How does he play?

Superchop 7
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
By Chris Colston, USA TODAY
Forget about Maryland's Vernon Davis being the top tight-end prospect in this year's NFL Draft. He might just be the best receiver, period.
So what if he weighs 254 and can out-bench-press this year's top-rated offensive lineman, 312-pound D'Brickashaw Ferguson? His 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash puts him in a tie for eighth-fastest player in this draft, regardless of position. NFLDraftScout.com rates him as the No. 7 overall prospect; the top-rated wide receiver is Florida's Chad Jackson at No. 17.

"He's a wide receiver in a tight end's body," Baltimore Ravens college scouting director Eric DeCosta said. "He can do everything you want a tight end to do, but you can also split him out wide. He's a unique guy from a game-planning standpoint. In the right system, with a team that really wants to use his gifts, he could be unstoppable."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________-

That should cover the speed issue.

What sets him apart from Scheff (by a mile) is his blocking.

Poet
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
"Outproduce" Depends on your favorite stat I guess. Mine is yards per catch, not catches, and Davis will never match a healthy Scheffler as a deep threat. All he has is physical "measurables", and I could care less about those. How does he play?

Mine is catches, yards, and touchdowns. Scheff wasn't underutilized either, he managed to catch nine less balls this year.

Also, he has 15 or 14 career touchdowns. Davis had 13 last year.

BroncoNut
01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Vernon Davis played College Ball blocks from where I work!!!!! I knew this kid was going to be good. I just knew it.

claymore
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Vernon Davis played College Ball blocks from where I work!!!!! I knew this kid was going to be good. I just knew it.

Thanks Nut.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Davis was close to being a bust and at one point in time was considered to be a cancer.

He's probably the most talented player to ever play his position.

I'd still take Witten or Gates over him.

As would I if gates wasn't 58 years old.

The reason I'm so happy about Davis' season is that he was an outright bust, and I believe he is the comeback player of the year. He finally was utilized in a system that played to his strengths and made the absolute best of it.

Ravage!!!
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Vernon Davis is by far the more superior athlete. Thats why he was so HIGHLY targeted in the NFL draft. The guy is a physical speciman. I was DREAMING of getting him here in Denver (glad we didn't, he would just be out the door as well).....

Ravage!!!
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Gates is 29....how is that old for a TE?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
It was a jooooke. I'd take Gates over any TE in the league right now if we ran that kind of system. But in McD's playbook Blocking tight ends are tantamount, that's why we need another guy to accompany Graham.

Ravage!!!
01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
It was a jooooke. I'd take Gates over any TE in the league right now if we ran that kind of system. But in McD's playbook Blocking tight ends are tantamount, that's why we need another guy to accompany Graham.

yeah... but I wouldn't be shocked to see Graham gone soon, as well. He wanted out of the NE system bfore, because they never passed to the TE. I figured the wasted pick.. er.. the draft pick of this last blocking TE was meant to be a replacement for him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-08-2010, 06:52 PM
yeah... but I wouldn't be shocked to see Graham gone soon, as well. He wanted out of the NE system bfore, because they never passed to the TE. I figured the wasted pick.. er.. the draft pick of this last blocking TE was meant to be a replacement for him.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad69/a_minor_threat/Thread%20Replies/2nsluky.jpg

SM19
01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
"You want to talk about (position)s? (Broncos player) isn't a (position). (One of the best players in the league) is a (position)."

I could have a lot of fun with this formula.

Superchop 7
01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
This is a (Rookie) Nose Tackle perfect for a 3-4.

Just sayin.

Nose guard doesn't get a lot of tackles or sacks, but his presence on the Crimson Tide defensive line is invaluable.
By Chris Dufresne

January 4, 2010

For someone as Winnebago-wide and fearsome and scary as Alabama nose guard Terrence Cody, his most impressive numbers are height (6 feet 5) and weight (365 pounds, according to the team's website) over tackles (25) and sacks (zero).

Cody is actually down from 410 pounds. During a high school game in Fort Myers, Fla., he once landed on tailback Noel Devine, now a star at West Virginia, prompting Devine to vomit.

Cody can tell you funny big-man stories, such as trying to shimmy into an airplane lavatory.

"It was terrible," Cody said Sunday as Alabama began preparations for Thursday's Bowl Championship Series title game against Texas at the Rose Bowl.

Prying himself into the lavatory was hard enough.

"Once I got in there it was like, 'This is it?' " he said.

Cody joked that it's nice being big because he can help his coach, Nick Saban, who is not big, on and off the bus.

You wonder, though, how a guy so visible can be so invisible on the stat sheet.

Cody made first-team All-American this year for a defense that gave up 11 points per game. Yet, in two seasons in Tuscaloosa, Cody has 48 tackles and half a sack.

He was Alabama's 12th-leading tackler this year.

Comparisons with Nebraska's man-child nose tackle Ndamukong Suh are understandable, but not flattering.

Suh had 82 tackles this year with 12 sacks, and was a one-man wrecking crew against Texas in the Big 12 Conference title game.

But, once again, statistics lie.

Other than Suh, there might not be another player in college football who disrupts a game plan the way Cody does.

"You talk to other coaches after you play them," Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said. "Talk to other SEC teams, they just can't get movement. If you can move people, you create space. And there is no space created when Cody is in there."

Cody is a wall-to-wall space occupier. It takes two, sometimes three, offensive linemen to keep him from pushing the pile into the backfield.

This helped Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain make 101 tackles this season and win the Butkus Award. It allowed linebacker Cory Reamer to make 48 tackles.

"If you watch film or you see statistics, he doesn't have a lot of tackles," McClain said. "But he does so much more for this defense. He holds up offensive linemen so that I can run around."

In one game this season, a 12-10 victory over Tennessee in Tuscaloosa, Cody did more than that.

He basically saved Alabama's bacon by blocking two field-goal tries, the last a 44-yard attempt at game's end that allowed Alabama to make it to the national title game.

Superchop 7
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Cody pointed Sunday to the two spots on his beefy left arm where those Tennessee kicks went to die.

The first boot left a red mark under his armpit, with the second hitting about midway between his wrist and elbow.

"Just stuck my arm up and closed my eyes," Cody said of the second game saver.

Cody says he doesn't mind playing the role of Alabama's one-man Maginot Line.

He also doesn't mind co-opting McClain's statistics.

"If you take his tackles and add them with mine, that's pretty much what my stats would be," he said.

Trust us: Texas isn't wondering why Cody doesn't have more tackles and sacks and neither is the NFL, which will make him a millionaire next spring.

Given where he has been, Cody is only too happy to be a giant part of all this. He came from a tough background in Fort Myers and nearly didn't make it through high school, sitting out football his sophomore and junior years because of grades.

Cody built his bridge to somewhere through Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he continued to dominate as his waistline expanded.

Upon arrival in Alabama, Cody became intimately involved with Crimson Tide strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran, who made mornings a healthy hell.

"He was a pain in the butt most of the time," Cody said of Cochran, "waking me up at 6 in the morning, coming up there for like 30 minutes of cardio, then I have to turn around and go to class, then be right back up there for workouts, and conditioning after workouts."

Cody also worked on his consumption habits. It wasn't that he was eating too much.

"I was eating at the wrong time," said Cody, which meant nothing for breakfast and everything for dinner.

Cody claims he's 354 pounds on the number this week, ready to lay it all on the line.

"He is what he is," Texas center Chris Hall said of Cody.

And that would be "big," which is why his nickname is "Mt. Cody."

Superchop 7
01-08-2010, 08:23 PM
By Jim Trotter
Sports Illustrated Magazine

For years the once great 49ers lacked direction, purpose and commitment. Not anymore. In his first full season as coach, Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary has San Francisco playing his way: intense, no-nonsense, team-first football.

Practice was over, and now the 49ers gathered in a tight circle on the far field of their facility in Santa Clara, Calif., last Thursday, each raising one arm to form a human umbrella. After a brief silence, a voice rose from within the group and asked, “Am I my brother’s keeper?” ¶ In unison the players answered, Yes . . . I . . . am! ¶ That the team-binding phrase has its roots in the Bible is appropriate. Some would consider the task facing Mike Singletary, in his first full season as coach, tantamount to turning water into wine. The Niners, one of the league’s showcase franchises in the 1980s and ’90s, haven’t had a winning season since 2002. In three of the past six seasons they lost 11 or more games. Coaches have come and gone, draft picks have been squandered, and through it all the legacy of Walsh and Montana, of Rice and Young and Lott, of five Super Bowl championships in 14 seasons, has been tarnished.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Back to topic...

The reason imo, that Davis is back on track has alot to do with Singletary and Frank Gore. There is tough love......but there is also "real" love.

Singletary could have chosen to "get rid of" the problem.

Instead, he fixed it.

Davis is a team captain now.

Davis is also an honorary US captain for curling.

Amazing what a little communication can do for a player.

CrazyHorse
01-09-2010, 09:56 PM
This is a tight end...

Am I the only one that thinks she has manly legs?