PDA

View Full Version : Success A Reason Behind Disappointment

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/success-a-reason-behind-disappointment/

January 6th, 2010 - 2:01pm by jim_saccomano

There are no happy Denver Broncos fans right now.

From owner Pat Bowlen to Head Coach Josh McDaniels, through the ranks of coaches and administrators and all the players in the locker room, including all fans near and far who are feverish in their support of Broncos Country, everyone is disappointed.

And one of the reasons for this is the team’s success.

The final 8-8 record was as good as or better than almost all media members predicted, but due to the way the season unfolded it ended badly.

But they all end badly when you don’t finish in a championship game.

So let’s take a look at why we all feel so bad.

The Denver Broncos began play in 1960 and did not have a playoff season until 1977.

That year the Orange Crush defense led Denver to its first playoff and first AFC Championship as Broncomania reached fever pitch.

Since and including that 1977 campaign the Broncos have won regular and postseason 202 games at home. That total of 202 home wins over the past 33 consecutive years is the most home wins that any pro, college, or high school team has ever won in any 33 consecutive seasons in the history of the sport of football, in the history of the world.

It’s the most — 202.

And in that time the Broncos have won seven AFC championships and gone on to play in six Super Bowls—it might not seem like as much as we would like, because it did not happen NOW, but only the legendary Dallas Cowboys franchise has participated in more Super Bowls than have the Broncos. Further, Denver is one of just six NFL franchises to have won back-to-back world championships.

And of course, along the way, the Broncos went undefeated for a calendar year, 52 weeks, from the end of 1997 through most of 1998, both years ending with bling.

I know these stats don’t make us feel any better, but they show us where we have come from, where we have been, and therefore where we want to be.

We consider it our right, part of the natural order of things to have a winning season and make the playoffs. And no one from Pat Bowlen on down would want it any other way.

The standard stays high, and that is how it is always going to be.

The tradition of the Denver Broncos is a barometer for our success and subsequent happiness.

Remember, if you are a Bronco season ticket holder and have been to every game since 1977, you have seen more home wins than any fan of any team over any 33-year period in the history of the sport.

So let’s respect the past, embrace the tradition and push toward future success. But we have to do it together.

When that success then comes, everyone involved knows he or she was rowing in the same direction, and that makes the triumph

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/interesting-conversation/

January 7th, 2010 - 1:52pm by jim_saccomano

It has been real interesting reading the many comments to my blog posting of January 6, in which I said that the Broncos’ very success over many years is one of the reasons for frustration.

Lots of fans have written in with their comments, which is great and much appreciated.

I have a couple of thoughts regarding those who establish what they want us to believe is expert opinion.

Those opinions are largely established after the fact, not before the fact.

People know all the things that are wrong, went wrong, and will undoubtedly (in their minds) will go wrong again—but all of that is the product of what has gone before, and does not necessarily predict what will happen next.

One of the writers wrote about how the Broncos were perceived as a team in decline just after the 1995 season, when Denver had gone 8-8. Then, the Broncos went on to win 46 games in three years — the most in pro football history at that time — including back-to- back world championships.

Everyone then formed different opinions, and pronounced themselves right again.

One of the great statements I have ever heard, whether applied to the media or to any fan, is:

“I am always right. It is always now, and I am always me, so I must be right.”

We’re all guilty of 20-20 hindsight, but organizations have to live with what their records say they are, and then are forced by time and the schedule to move forward into the new year, and the new year is always just that.

It is a new year that does not correlate to the old year except in that it follows chronologically.

You can only bask in yesterday’s triumph or sulk over yesterday’s loss for so long.

Yesterday is in the history books. The future is today and tomorrow.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Dude knows what he is talking about.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

He's been in the Broncos' organization for 32 years

LawDog
01-07-2010, 05:00 PM

"And in that time the Broncos have won seven AFC championships and gone on to play in six Super Bowls—it might not seem like as much as we would like, because it did not happen NOW, but only the legendary Dallas Cowboys franchise has participated in more Super Bowls than have the Broncos. Further, Denver is one of just six NFL franchises to have won back-to-back world championships."

Remind me which year it was that we won the AFC championship but did not play in the Super Bowl...

Northman
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
"And in that time the Broncos have won seven AFC championships and gone on to play in six Super Bowls—it might not seem like as much as we would like, because it did not happen NOW, but only the legendary Dallas Cowboys franchise has participated in more Super Bowls than have the Broncos. Further, Denver is one of just six NFL franchises to have won back-to-back world championships."

Remind me which year it was that we won the AFC championship but did not play in the Super Bowl...

I missed his type-o. But the guy has a lot of excellent points.

LawDog
01-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I missed his type-o. But the guy has a lot of excellent points.

Yeah, I like him too. Just playin' around...

girler
01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
... Remember, if you are a Bronco season ticket holder and have been to every game since 1977, you have seen more home wins than any fan of any team over any 33-year period in the history of the sport.

So let’s respect the past, embrace the tradition and push toward future success. But we have to do it together.

When that success then comes, everyone involved knows he or she was rowing in the same direction, and that makes the triumph

So, to sum up, STOP YOUR WHINING ALREADY!!!! Damn! :tsk:

:lol:

e-Lou-sive1
01-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Shanahan's abrupt departure that led way to a young coach hoping to come in and bring hope to a once proud franchise who has always stood tough especially at home.Much to the disappoint of the fans the Broncos were embarrassed at home by AFC West rivals that rarely won in Mile High Stadium over the course of several years.Mc D who is unknown to this tradition has on the last game of the season If for no other reason but to fight for home field dominance sat out players that could have made a difference.Shanahan would have taken this personally as he did when the Raiders would come to town,he knew that divisional opponents would feel a certain glory in beating the Broncos at home.Hopefully McD will do what Bellichik has done for the Patriots before the league walks all over us and makes our once proud tradition a distant memory.

Northman
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Shanahan's abrupt departure that led way to a young coach hoping to come in and bring hope to a once proud franchise who has always stood tough especially at home.Much to the disappoint of the fans the Broncos were embarrassed at home by AFC West rivals that rarely won in Mile High Stadium over the course of several years.Mc D who is unknown to this tradition has on the last game of the season If for no other reason but to fight for home field dominance sat out players that could have made a difference.Shanahan would have taken this personally as he did when the Raiders would come to town,he knew that divisional opponents would feel a certain glory in beating the Broncos at home.Hopefully McD will do what Bellichik has done for the Patriots before the league walks all over us and makes our once proud tradition a distant memory.

Oh really? Shanahan was 14-12 at home the last 3 years including a 31-10 drubbing from Oakland last year. That doesnt look like dominance to me. :lol:

getlynched47
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Our expectations were low coming into the season. Having a 6-0 start and a 3.5 game lead in the AFC West, naturally, our expectations rose extremely fast.

Going 2-8 after that incredible start is reason enough to be very disappointed. I don't care if you're a rookie head coach or a 10 year veteran head coach, going from 6-0 to 2-8 is absolutely horrible. It hurts. Unacceptable, and unjustifiable no matter what. The "he's just a rookie head coach" excuse isn't enough, especially after our fast start.

missingnumber7
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Worst 4 year streak at home since 71-74