PDA

View Full Version : Broncos closing in on Rogers deal.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Eh, I don't know about this. It'd depend on what we gave them. Also, even if a deal is announced, it can't be approved until Friday.

Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/25/broncos-closing-in-on-lions-rogers/)

shank
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
even though at this point i do want rogers to be a bronco, i too am nervous that it will most likely happen.

lets all cross our fingers that we didn't give too much (or that when the playoffs role around that we're all saying "rogers was a freaking steal!")

ChampWJ
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Eh, I don't know about this. It'd depend on what we gave them. Also, even if a deal is announced, it can't be approved until Friday.

Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/25/broncos-closing-in-on-lions-rogers/)

Thanks for the post Dream. :salute: I have my fingers crossed this happens. I also hope we can underpay for him, but we shall see.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
There's just no way I can see us giving a high pick for him with his big salary cap number. If we give up a second for him, I'm going to go crazy and eat my microwave.

#15 and Rogers for #12, sure. . . I'd do that. Mid-round pick? Sure. Not a second.

Please no. :(

Day1BroncoFan
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Isn't this guy having problems in Detroit? Is he really worth any thing to us.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Hopefully it's conditional...NEXT YEAR. His talent is such that he's easily worth a #2 this year, but we all know the concerns.

lex
02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
I wonder if Shanahan smokes pot? I wonder if he brings all these guys in with substance abuse penalties hanging over his head, just so he can ask for a drag. Rogers and Henry are like the new Cheech and Chong...I wonder if Shanahan will go to Amsterdam with them?

Escobar
02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
That would be a good pick-up.

shank
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Isn't this guy having problems in Detroit? Is he really worth any thing to us.

he's been accused of taking plays off, and dropping off as the season goes due to poor conditioning. when he's motivated he's one of the best though. let's hope he's motivated here in denver.

Hopefully it's conditional...NEXT YEAR. His talent is such that he's easily worth a #2 this year, but we all know the concerns.

i agree, they better have some conditionality in the deal. ideally i want a conditional pick next year, or for us to give them 12 for 15 and rogers (with some sort of conditional pick next year depending on his performance or something?)

lex
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
So much for what Bowlen said about not overspending.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 05:43 PM

dude's is under contract for the next 3 years...not like we have to renegotiate

BOSSHOGG30
Shaun Rogers is a stud! This is great news

One step closer to Jonathan Stewart!

shank

so much for what you said about being more optimistic.

(i don't know if you ever said that, but let's wait and see before we complain about the deal. like i said above, lets wait until the end of the year until complaining about the deal, a lot can happen, glass half full, people can change, et cetera)

EDIT: who the hell spells out etc.?

tubby
02-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Who says we will overspend for him?

Bronco4ever
02-25-2008, 05:49 PM

A fat stud, but a stud none the less. I still have nightmares about how he tore us up almost single handedly this past season.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
We have Marcus Thomas... we are looking for him to step up and be our #1 DT. By adding Shaun Rogers we are taking a lot of pressure off of both Rogers and Thomas.

That is a lot of beef and talent in the middle of our defensive line.

ChampWJ
02-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I really wish Denver could be more quiet about what we're doing. Why make this information public giving other teams that might want him another shot to up their offer?

Same as saying "we really want to trade this player, but if no one makes us an offer, we'll have to cut him." That really makes the phone start ringing off the hook I'm sure.

lex
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Who says we will overspend for him?

He makes a lot of bank, I believe. If he doesnt produce consistently (or when it matters at least), how are we not overspending?

lex
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM

(i don't know if you ever said that, but let's wait and see before we complain about the deal. like i said above, lets wait until the end of the year until complaining about the deal, a lot can happen, glass half full, people can change, et cetera)

What are you talking about?

BOSSHOGG30
I really wish Denver could be more quiet about what we're doing. Why make this information public giving other teams that might want him another shot to up their offer?

Same as saying "we really want to trade this player, but if no one makes us an offer, we'll have to cut him." That really makes the phone start ringing off the hook I'm sure.

They might be doing it because the Raiders are believed to be the other team interested and they are probably hoping the Raiders will over pay for the guy or something. I don't like the idea of playing Rogers twice a year after last years beat down though.

jlarsiii

Are you sure about the approval date? I know FA starts at the end of the week, but this would be a trade and not a FA acquisition. I mean, if teams like Dallas can sign a player like Thomas then shouldn't we be able to announce the trade if it happens. Is there a moratorium on trades during the offseason until FA begins?

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
1/1/2005: Signed a six-year, $43 million contract. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus. 2008: $4.25 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/2), 2009: $5.25 million, 2010: $7 million, 2011: Free Agent

His salary isn't bad considering he is a Pro Bowl caliber DT and how much DT's get paid these days. Plus, he might even be open to the idea of restructuring his contract if he comes to Denver.

slim
02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

LOL...you kill me boss.

shank
02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

What are you talking about?

what are you reading about? (it was a joke, just saying try cup half full for once)

anyway, this makes 2 solid DTs. bring in one more in the draft at some point, and i personally couldn't be happier.

lex
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
what are you reading about? (it was a joke, just saying try cup half full for once)

anyway, this makes 2 solid DTs. bring in one more in the draft at some point, and i personally couldn't be happier.

What did I say about being optimistic?

Edit- OK I just saw you making that part up and then addressing the possibility that you were making that up...its like youre own little conversation with yourself but projected at me. LOL. OK, yeah, I dont think it was me who talked about trying to be more optimistic.

shank
02-25-2008, 06:04 PM

YOU DIDN'T. it was a joke, which i clarified within the same post that i made the joke, and once again since.:eek:

ChampWJ
02-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Edit- OK I just saw you making that part up and then addressing the possibility that you were making that up...its like youre own little conversation with yourself but projected at me. LOL. OK, yeah, I dont think it was me who talked about trying to be more optimistic.

All those years of being a Cubs fan will do that to you I guess. Just kidding lex. :beer:

underrated29
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
guys i am too busy at work. I have to use my other crappy work comp for internet. Can someone post this for me....I am drooling like a MOFO, but i cant read it. Its like brownies and no milk, fine girl and no condom, nut and no dog!

Please help me here.

tubby
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
1/1/2005: Signed a six-year, $43 million contract. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus. 2008: $4.25 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due 3/2), 2009: $5.25 million, 2010: $7 million, 2011: Free Agent

His salary isn't bad considering he is a Pro Bowl caliber DT and how much DT's get paid these days. Plus, he might even be open to the idea of restructuring his contract if he comes to Denver.

Whoa. That's a lot of money. He better restructure.

shank
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
i think that TO US, even as he is right now with the lions, he's worth 3rd round value (because of what he can do, even if it's only half the time, as well as our desparate need of a DT).

if he can make improvements to his conditioning and stay motivated on what should be a winning team, then he can be worth much more. lets hope that:

-the trade is conditional, and value will depend on what he does here next year

-we didn't give them too high a pick (>3 imo)

-if we did give them too much, that rogers changes his attitude and makes us look back after all is said and done thinking that we didn't overpay.

*optimism

G_Money
02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Shaun Rogers is detested by Lions fans, because he has the ability to be Albert Haynesworth and instead he's Homer Simpson for 12 games a year. Once a month the sleeping bear awakens, mauls his foes, then goes back to eating donuts.

However...

Albert Haynesworth was pretty Homer-ish himself until he matured. Rogers has all the ability in the world. Almost nobody in Detroit has managed to keep their spirits up and their motivation intact. Either every player brought in is like that, or there's something to the locker room chemistry issues. Saving Rogers from Detroit might bring its own bounce - and if it doesn't, he's outta here in 2 years anyway.

Rogers is a better talent than anyone not named Ellis or Dorsey at tackle in the draft. We're not gonna get a better talent. We might HOPE for better motivated talent, but there's a reason "inconsistent motor" is a flag on 90% of these guys, and that DTs bomb out at one of the highest rates of any drafted position.

If he doesn't cost us too much in draft picks, and we can slot the salary in, we have to give it a try. Because if it works, we fix the biggest defensive hole we have with one move. And the cost of screwing up a 1st round DT is more than getting Rogers for 2 years at the cost of a 3rd/4th round pick. Getting him allows us to make picks on safer positions in the draft that have a better rate of return.

I'd do the same thing with Rogers that the Cowboys did with T.O. - make him a leader, force him to lead by example, and watch him blossom. He's gonna be one of the most veteran guys on the defense. Rogers is a proud man who takes things personally and carries his bitterness with him. Allow him to leave the place that is causing that bitterness and see if you can't get him re-focused.

I can't judge getting Rogers until I see what the cost is, but the idea is fine with me.

~G

shank
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
i don't know about all that g money.

he looks a little scrawny to play DT to me...

http://shaun-rogers.com/

atwater27
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I am so excited I could pee! 2 potential and much needed trades.....
Anything we could get for Walker would be great, and getting Rogers would be a coup!
God I love football!

claymore
02-25-2008, 06:46 PM

http://shaun-rogers.com/Yeah, but he has an ass tighter than a 12 year old figure skater. :rolleyes:

keithbishop
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

http://shaun-rogers.com/

Can you name a smurf figurine collecting DT that didn't succeed with the Broncos? Good stuff.

I would love to see the addition of Rogers, depending on the price. At that salary, it shouldn't be a high draft pick. Fingers crossed...........

dogfish
02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
whoa, keithbishop sighting! :eek:

good to see you posting here. . . .

Slick
02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Shaun Rogers is detested by Lions fans, because he has the ability to be Albert Haynesworth and instead he's Homer Simpson for 12 games a year. Once a month the sleeping bear awakens, mauls his foes, then goes back to eating donuts.

However...

Albert Haynesworth was pretty Homer-ish himself until he matured. Rogers has all the ability in the world. Almost nobody in Detroit has managed to keep their spirits up and their motivation intact. Either every player brought in is like that, or there's something to the locker room chemistry issues. Saving Rogers from Detroit might bring its own bounce - and if it doesn't, he's outta here in 2 years anyway.

Rogers is a better talent than anyone not named Ellis or Dorsey at tackle in the draft. We're not gonna get a better talent. We might HOPE for better motivated talent, but there's a reason "inconsistent motor" is a flag on 90% of these guys, and that DTs bomb out at one of the highest rates of any drafted position.

If he doesn't cost us too much in draft picks, and we can slot the salary in, we have to give it a try. Because if it works, we fix the biggest defensive hole we have with one move. And the cost of screwing up a 1st round DT is more than getting Rogers for 2 years at the cost of a 3rd/4th round pick. Getting him allows us to make picks on safer positions in the draft that have a better rate of return.

I'd do the same thing with Rogers that the Cowboys did with T.O. - make him a leader, force him to lead by example, and watch him blossom. He's gonna be one of the most veteran guys on the defense. Rogers is a proud man who takes things personally and carries his bitterness with him. Allow him to leave the place that is causing that bitterness and see if you can't get him re-focused.

I can't judge getting Rogers until I see what the cost is, but the idea is fine with me.

~G

Anybody else laugh as hard as I did at this sentence? Thank you G. Too funny.

dogfish
02-25-2008, 07:04 PM

i can't answer that without knowing exactly how hard you laughed, but i thought it was pretty damn funny. . . .

Day1BroncoFan
02-25-2008, 07:07 PM

I laughed, it was good.

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
We all know Denver is going to try and walk into the draft not needing anything, or getting as close to that as possible. Sometimes thats doable to a great degree, and sometimes its only doable to a lesser degree. But one thing we as Broncos fans do know:

We arent rebuilding around here.:tsk:

If we can swing any type of Foster/Bell/Bly trade with this guy, Im gonna dance in my hammock. Im looking at Denver getting back into the first round this year as a real possibility as well, and if we get a deal in place like we had last year with someone to get back into the first, then we take Mendenhall with the 12th, and get back into the first to take Williams at OT.

Anyone see Mendenhall at the combine? Now the combine doesnt make a player, but its more about potential. We already know hes a player, and if you saw his combine workout, your jaw had to drop on the floor.

The guy is absolutely busting with ability.

WE WILL NOT DRAFT A WR IN THE FIRST ROUND. Forget it. After that, WRs, Safeties, and LBs can be addressed in the later rounds.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Mendenhall looked like a friggin machine in the combine. His arms are bigger than my head.

fcspikeit
02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
guys i am too busy at work. I have to use my other crappy work comp for internet. Can someone post this for me....I am drooling like a MOFO, but i cant read it. Its like brownies and no milk, fine girl and no condom, nut and no dog!

Please help me here.

The Broncos are in aggressive discussions to trade for Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

If no hitches develop, the trade is expected to be done as early as tonight or early Tuesday.

It's unclear what the Broncos would give the Lions for Rogers, 28, a University of Texas product.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder has drawn the ire of Lions general manager Matt Millen because of weight problems. Millen has said the former Pro Bowl selection could be fined if the issue isn't resolved.

The Broncos' biggest trade last offseason came with the Lions, who sent defensive back Dre' Bly to Denver for offensive tackle George Foster and running back Tatum Bell.

:salute:

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
One would have to think that Rogers is tired of losing and being called fat and under appreciated. I think he will be happy in Denver and he will help us BIG time. I for one will be stoked if we land him in Denver....We are talking a pro bowl caliber DT in his prime on a line with talent such as Doom, Crowder, and Thomas. Opposing offenses will have some problems choosing double teams, but I have a feeling that Rogers will attract a lot of attention.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
And the Detroit mentality can be draining I'm sure. Son of a lifelong Lions fan here and I have to tell ya, those people just WAIT for bad things to happen. LOSER mentality all the way. My dad even said it as we left Ford Field last season, you know, when they beat our asses?, he said...they'll find a way to screw it all up...

Maybe a change of scenery in a real football town may do him some good. Again, there are soem names who I'd rather have, but his talent is undeniable.

Hobe
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
:confused: I just don’t know. Rodgers has a lot of talent, but is getting out of Detroit going to make him turn over a new leaf? It just seems like a roll of the dice to me. If he does come to Denver we should put in his contract that he is not allow to go to the IHOP. ;)

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
if his fat ass can play good then we will have a good defense.

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
One would have to think that Rogers is tired of losing and being called fat and under appreciated. I think he will be happy in Denver and he will help us BIG time. I for one will be stoked if we land him in Denver....We are talking a pro bowl caliber DT in his prime on a line with talent such as Doom, Crowder, and Thomas. Opposing offenses will have some problems choosing double teams, but I have a feeling that Rogers will attract a lot of attention.

Millen and Shanny have a relationship dating back to San Fran. I think Millen loves to play buddy buddy with the Shanster. A focused Rogers in the middle of the line would do wonders for us. A manfreak that demands constant double teams means freed up DEs and LBs, which means a greater ability to pressure the QB from all over the field. With the corners that we have, this spells trouble for some people.

Like Warren, Im hoping the Denver lockeroom brings passion back into his heart, and a desire to hold the Lombardi. This will provide an investment that pays off right now, versus a rookie DT who may take time to learn the nuances of their position in the NFL.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Rogers can half ass and he is still better than any DT we currently have on our roster.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought a trade can't go down until Friday, the first day of the 2008 league year?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
A post from: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10462&start=60

Word is they are going to trade two more pieces of garbage for the former Pro Bowl player and Millen/Marinelli won't realize how bad they got taken until halfway through the 2008 season.

The best thing you could hope for after last years trade with the Broncos was that George Foster would get called for a false start before Bell would fumble the ball.

The more Millen stays, the more things remain the same!

Stand Ablaze
I thought a trade can't go down until Friday, the first day of the 2008 league year?

I think you can agree to trade but then you have to wait 'till Friday to finalize it.

BANJOPICKER1

Odd you say this but I have not seen anything on this until this thread..:D

Buff
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
if his fat ass can play good then we will have a good defense.

:dito:

Quoted for sheer brilliance.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
K, Jags traded for Troy Williamson from the Vikings... so obviously we can trade for Rogers.

The Vikings have reportedly agreed in principle to trade Troy Williamson to the Jaguars in exchange for a second-day draft pick.

The first day of the draft was reduced to the first two rounds this year, so that's not really narrowing it down. Still, it'd be a shock if the Vikings get more than a conditional sixth-round pick for the drop prone wideout. Trades can't become official until free agency begins at 12:00 ET Thursday night.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Drill-N-Fill
02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
A step closer to Clady!

I'm against this move. I don't think he will change his ways. He's been in the league long enough to mature already.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff276/Lionsfan_81/shaunrogers.jpg

G_Money
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
On the negative side about Rogers:

But pay close attention to how the Lions make these decisions.

Start with Rogers. From all appearances, the Lions would like to trade him -- if they can get the right offer. But if they can't get a decent deal, they'll keep him.

This is the right approach. Rogers is not Joey Harrington, whom the Lions shipped away for a late-round draft pick. Rogers still has some value to the team. There is nothing wrong with keeping him. The problem is building around him.

Last year, the Lions did everything for Rogers but hand him cupcakes on a silver platter. They bent over backward for a player so overweight, he can't bend over forward.

The idea was that if Rogers got whatever he wanted, he would have no excuses. Well, the Lions were right about one thing: Rogers had no excuses. But he disappeared in the second half of the season, largely because of his largeness.

By catering to Rogers, coach Rod Marinelli cost himself some credibility. Marinelli talked about football character and accountability. But then he let Rogers set up a country club in the middle of boot camp.

So if we get Rogers, the next question is how do we motivate him any better than Detroit did?

I think it's an attempt worth making for the right price. But we'd better make a better guess about what will motivate Rogers than the hapless Lions did.

~G

dogfish
02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
K, Jags traded for Troy Williamson from the Vikings... so obviously we can trade for Rogers.

The Vikings have reportedly agreed in principle to trade Troy Williamson to the Jaguars in exchange for a second-day draft pick.

The first day of the draft was reduced to the first two rounds this year, so that's not really narrowing it down. Still, it'd be a shock if the Vikings get more than a conditional sixth-round pick for the drop prone wideout. Trades can't become official until free agency begins at 12:00 ET Thursday night.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

OUCH!

when we start moaning about how bad the javon walker deal worked out, just be glad we didn't spend a #7 overall on this guy. . . . :eek:

dogfish
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
On the negative side about Rogers:

So if we get Rogers, the next question is how do we motivate him any better than Detroit did?

I think it's an attempt worth making for the right price. But we'd better make a better guess about what will motivate Rogers than the hapless Lions did.

~G

i think we should try the cupcakes. . . .

Stand Ablaze
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2332/fattyvr9.png

:dizzy::alberteinstein:

dogfish
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
A post from: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10462&start=60

Word is they are going to trade two more pieces of garbage for the former Pro Bowl player and Millen/Marinelli won't realize how bad they got taken until halfway through the 2008 season.

The best thing you could hope for after last years trade with the Broncos was that George Foster would get called for a false start before Bell would fumble the ball.

The more Millen stays, the more things remain the same!

i wonder if they've actually heard some type of speculation, or if the "two pieces of garbage" comment is just a dig at millen. . . i love reading lions' fan forums-- they're the freakin' best!

:laugh:

BeefStew25
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
So Gold and someone else for Rogers.....

Day1BroncoFan
02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Didn't we just get rid of an overweight tired out guy? This is what we are going to replace the overweight tired out guy with, another overweight tired out guy?

Am I missing something here or what 'cause I don't understand that thinkin'?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Didn't we just get rid of an overweight tired out guy? This is what we are going to replace the overweight tired out guy with, another overweight tired out guy?

But we shouldn't have if you mean Warren. Had Bates never come here, I'm guessing Gerard would still be a Bronco. I know the financials were high, but he was damn effective for us...although some hate to admit it.

slim
02-25-2008, 10:35 PM
But we shouldn't have if you mean Warren. Had Bates never come here, I'm guessing Gerard would still be a Bronco. I know the financials were high, but he was damn effective for us...although some hate to admit it.

The raiders run D was worse than ours last year.

BTW, I think he was talking about Adams.

G_Money
02-25-2008, 10:37 PM

They're thinking that if they get the 340 pound DT that can play like this consistently:

http://www.bustedplay.com/nfl/shaun-rogers-is-really-big-and-fat/

Then they might have the Pro-Bowl player in the middle of the line that they've been missing for, well, a while.

~G

slim
02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
They're thinking that if they get the 340 pound DT that can play like this consistently:

http://www.bustedplay.com/nfl/shaun-rogers-is-really-big-and-fat/

Then they might have the Pro-Bowl player in the middle of the line that they've been missing for, well, a while.

~G

Well, I guess the question then becomes why would anyone think we could get that type of consistancy from him?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
That play was unfortunate.

dogfish
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM

well, one guy was 34 with a bad knee, and the other is 28 and healthy, for starters. . . one has at least had STRETCHES of dominant play over the past few years, while the other hasn't been worth shit for a good four years now. . .

and the bottom line is, there aren't any perfect players out there-- we need help at DT, and there isn't a single one on the market or in the draft who doesn't have some type of questions or flaws. . . even with his inconsistent effort, rogers is probably in the top ten DTs in this league. . . . believe me, i'm as concerned as anyone else about his inconsistent play, but the reality is that most giant mauler DTs either get gassed or take plays off-- though admittedly, rogers is probably guiltier than most. . .

at some point, we HAVE to add some talent at DT if we're going to make any significant improvements to our run efense-- you can have all kinds of high-motor guys like josh mallard, but if they can't hold the point where does it get you in the end?

G_Money
02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
*shrugs*

Dre Moore has the same question marks about motor and desire without the same demonstrated ability to dominate at the pro level.

So does Balmer.

So does Okam.

So does Bryant.

So if you can get the dominator with the questionable motor, do you?

Or do you spend your draftpicks trying to find a guy who at his best may not be as good as Rogers?

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Reports of Rogers Being Traded to Bronco’s: “Not So Fast.”

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
Reports of Rogers Being Traded to Bronco’s: “Not So Fast.”
Earlier today the Rocky Mountain News ran a story on it’s website www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/25/broncos-closing-in-on-lions-rogers/ that the Broncos were close to acquiring Shaun Rogers in a trade from the Lions. Although the Broncos are certainly in the hunt for Rogers, a source close to the situation told me tonight, “Not so fast.”
There is at least one other AFC team that is still VERY interested in Rogers and another team that the source would not identify which league they are from. Rogers has issues having already been suspended for violating the leagues banned substances policy, and teams are weighing whether the often unmotivated, overweight and once suspended tackle is worth a high price.
One scout from an NFC team that is not interested in Rogers told me earlier this evening, “The NFL is a copy cat league. With all the success the Giants had, I think that helps Matt in trying to trade him. We wouldn’t even look at the guy, but there are a lot of teams that will.”
The Lions have to get rid of Rogers or face certain locker room issues that Marinelli has masterfully side stepped while at the helm. There are several players that see Rogers as a, “Lost cause,” to the Marinelli way. Although Rogers is talented when he chooses to be, he was given all the rope he needed by Marinelli to perform and play at his best and he did not return to Marinelli what he was given…that effort!
There was an Internet report earlier in the week citing that Rogers was close to getting dealt this week. The trading of Rogers is not surprise to readers of SpartanNation.com who knew he would be traded when we reported that fact weeks ago and was certainly not a new story.
Again we are not saying that Rogers won’t be a Bronco, we are saying that the deal as of this writing is NOT A DONE DEAL.

dogfish
02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
That play was unfortunate.

you gotta give selvin young credit for at least trying to tackle him, but. . . . :laugh: :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Update from RMN:

Broncos not only suitors for Detroit’s Rogers
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 02:47 p.m., February 25, 2008
Updated 08:03 p.m., February 25, 2008

All expectations are that enigmatic defensive tackle Shaun Rogers will be gone from Detroit by the time the trading period opens 10 p.m. Thursday.

The Denver Broncos are among the suitors aggressively pursuing the two-time Pro Bowl selection, and at one point Monday, appeared to perhaps be on the verge of acquiring the 6-foot-4 interior defender. But other teams continue making their pitches. And Denver now doesn’t appear to be in the clear.

The Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers all are trying to fortify their front fours. And the Lions are marketing Rogers aggressively around the league before the start of the new NFL calendar.

Rogers’ agent, Kennard McGuire, said he wouldn’t confirm or deny any trade speculation regarding his client.

What is apparent in league circles is that Rogers will be playing elsewhere next season. His battles with weight in particular have apparently worn out Detroit coach Rod Marinelli to the point where a change of scenery would benefit both parties. And there are enough competitors for Rogers’ services that compensation should be sufficient.

Rogers, 28, had his best game last season against Denver, earning NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors with 2 1/2 sacks and a 66-yard interception return for a touchdown. He also had a career-high seven sacks for the season. But he faded the final eight games as Detroit went 1-7 and was reportedly well over his listed 340 pounds, which adversely affected his already balky knees.

Denver also is one of the teams that is pursuing New York Jets defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, a former top-10 pick who’s being made available since he’s a poor fit as a 3-4 nose tackle and comes at a hefty price.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
you gotta give selvin young credit for at least trying to tackle him, but. . . . :laugh: :lol:

I was at that game...that play came rigth at me.

dogfish
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I was at that game...that play came rigth at me.

my condolences. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I just hope Shanny doesn't get into a bidding war. With Coleman, Robertson and Darwin Walker available...he needs to know it's OK to walk away rather than mortgage the future.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd prefer Robertson.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
and don't forget Kris Jenkins

slim
02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
You guys crack me up.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
and you sir, crack me up.

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Crack kills.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Crack kills.

that's an urban legend

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Shaun Rogers is ready to leave the Lions.

“I have never heard him so excited,” his agent, Kennard McGuire, said Monday night.

The Lions are listening to trade offers for the two-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, and McGuire — while complimentary of president Matt Millen and coach Rod Marinelli — would welcome a deal.

“I have tremendous respect for Matt and admiration for Matt, and I believe in time Rod is going to be able to build the type of team that he wants and desires,” McGuire said. “It’s just at this time that I believe for Shaun Rogers a change of scenery would be the best case for all parties.”

At least half a dozen teams are said to be seriously interested in Rogers.

The Rocky Mountain News reported Monday the Denver Broncos were in “aggressive discussions” with the Lions and that if no hitches developed the deal was expected to be done as early as Monday night or early today. Teams can start trading officially Friday under NFL rules. Rogers is due a $1-million roster bonus this weekend.

The Lions traded cornerback Dré Bly — another of McGuire’s clients — to the Broncos last season. But McGuire had no comment on the Rocky Mountain News report, and the Free Press could not confirm it.

Asked what specifically would make a change of scenery good for Rogers, McGuire said only: “Consistency.”

Rogers was part of Millen’s first draft class, a second-round pick. The Lions have gone 31-81 since, and Rogers has played under four head coaches – Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron and Marinelli.

Marinelli came to Detroit after 10 years as Tampa Bay’s defensive line coach, and the hope was that he could click with Rogers the way he once clicked with Warren Sapp. But it hasn’t happened.

Rogers is immensely talented and has been outstanding at times. But he has not made the expected impact at other times. His health, conditioning, weight and work ethic have been issues.

“I truly believe a change of scenery would be the best thing for him because I truly believe he’s capable of being one of the best of the best at the position,” McGuire said. “I truly believe he’s someone that’s truly capable of redefining what that position is about, and a change of scenery may be just the right recipe for that to happen.”

McGuire also represents defensive end Kalimba Edwards and running back Tatum Bell.

Edwards left the locker room after last season saying he didn’t expect to be back, but he is under contract and the Lions have not cut ties with him. They hope to get something for him in the trade market or get something out of him on the field.
McGuire had no update on Edwards’ status.

Bell’s contract is up and will test the free-agent market when it opens Friday. The Lions didn’t use him the last 11 games last season, but they have been trying to convince him to come back. They need help at running back with Kevin Jones recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, and they say he fits their offense now that Jim Colletto has replaced Mike Martz as offensive coordinator.

“He’s going to see what opportunities are going to be best for the utilization of his talents,” McGuire said.

Day1BroncoFan
02-25-2008, 11:27 PM
I see this guy as a gamble at best.
I saw that game and that play against Denver. If he played like that every down or at least 14 games during regular season + more in post season he may be worth it.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I see this guy as a gamble at best.
I saw that game and that play against Denver. If he played like that every down or at least 14 games during regular season + more in post season he may be worth it.

MAY be worth it? Have you seen our current DTs?

Requiem / The Dagda
02-25-2008, 11:29 PM
He's better than anyone we have behind him. If the price is right, get him. Then use a day two pick on a guy like Rubin out of Iowa State and call it good.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I've been eyeing Rubin in round 4 for 3 months now. He would please me...in a strictly hetero sorta way.

Day1BroncoFan
02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I hope he works out if we pick him up, just don't feed him cupcakes unless they're fat free. :D

silkamilkamonico
02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Early speculation is this;

Detroit offered Rogers, and their 2nd rounder, to Atlanta for DeAngelo Hall.

Atlanta wants a late round conditional pic also and they are working out details.

This puts Denver in the back seat, and if it's true and doesn't go down, it looks like it's becoming a bidding war for Rogers, which means someone will overpay for him.

Well Denver, what are you willing to give up for him?

When I find a link I'll post the story.

DenBronx
02-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Atlanta wants a late round conditional pic also and they are working out details.

This puts Denver in the back seat, and if it's true and doesn't go down, it looks like it's becoming a bidding war for Rogers, which means someone will overpay for him.

what is foxy??? chop liver?? are there no teams out there that are not interested in this guy? im sure denver will be offering a player and a pick for rodgers.

dogfish
02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
what is foxy??? chop liver?? are there no teams out there that are not interested in this guy? im sure denver will be offering a player and a pick for rodgers.

well, he sure as hell isn't deangelo hall!

i've always felt that hall was a little over-rated, but foxworth isn't even in the same realm. . . .

besides, foxworth and our 2nd is too much to give up for rogers anyways, IMO (not that i don't think shenanigans is very capable of doing just that). . . .

DenBronx
02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
well, he sure as hell isn't deangelo hall!

i've always felt that hall was a little over-rated, but foxworth isn't even in the same realm. . . .

besides, foxworth and our 2nd is too much to give up for rogers anyways, IMO (not that i don't think shenanigans is very capable of doing just that). . . .

im not sure the broncos will give up a 2nd for rodgers....that would suck.

hall is over-rated...foxy would be a decent #2 guy on most teams. i said foxy because clearly they need help at db.

dogfish
02-26-2008, 01:31 AM
im not sure the broncos will give up a 2nd for rodgers....that would suck.

hall is over-rated...foxy would be a decent #2 guy on most teams. i said foxy because clearly they need help at db.

nevermind, i read that wrong-- detroit is offering the 2nd, not atlanta. . . .

yea, i'm a dumb ass! :lol:

DenBronx
02-26-2008, 01:38 AM
nevermind, i read that wrong-- detroit ithe 2nd, not atlanta. . . .

thats ok...you have hot chicks in your avi so your allowed to make those kinds of mistakes now and then.

after all, im the one that thought we had a 3rd rounder earlier today.

fcspikeit
02-26-2008, 01:57 AM
nevermind, i read that wrong-- detroit is offering the 2nd, not atlanta. . . .

LOL

If Atlanta was offering Hall + a 2nd round pick for Rogers this thread wouldn't exist!

#1bmarshfan
02-26-2008, 02:27 AM
if u cant beat um join um and we certainnly couldnt beat him its a very good pick up i almost wet myself when i figured out we might get him

shank
02-26-2008, 02:33 AM

if atlanta even contemplated that, then i'm worried about what value teams think rogers has.. if that's true at all, and was close at all to being near doable value, then i'm very worried that we could give up our 2nd for rogers. not cool (he better play all out for 19 games if we give up our 2nd...)

ChampWJ
02-26-2008, 02:34 AM
Anyone else having a bad feeling that all the premature reports of us being close to getting him are going to end up killing this deal?

shank
02-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Anyone else having a bad feeling that all the premature reports of us being close to getting him are going to end up killing this deal?

not really, cause it happens with every deal nowadays. everyone's looking for the scoop; either they get it and are right, or they go off bad info and turn out to be wrong about a deal. i wouldn't say the story breaking ever has any real impact on whether it gets done or not.

fcspikeit
02-26-2008, 02:45 AM

Even if it does I wont lose any sleep over it. Don't get me wrong I would like to have Rogers. However, I fear if we get him Mikey might forget about the need we have at DT. I would like nothing more then to get Rogers and also crab Trever Laws with our 2nd pick, but I just don't see that.

I know some will say if we get Rogers are problems are fixed at DT, but we really don't know that to be true, besides that, I really like Laws and even if Rogers worked out great for us I don't believe you can ever have to many good DT's. I believe if we could get a great young TD we could be set for a vary long time. Rogers could help us for the next couple years then we could trade him or let him go to FA

Almost every DT in this draft not named Ellis or Dorsey comes with the ? mark because they take plays off. I have heard nothing to this affect about Laws.

#1bmarshfan
02-26-2008, 03:44 AM
jsut getting shaun rogers wont fix anything sure hell get double teamed and dumervil can ball it up but we need another one of course i say trevor laws i saw him play whe they played stanford hes a big man quick for his size he wasa beast

BOSSHOGG30
02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
The Rocky Mountain News have backed off their report that Shaun Rogers should be a Denver Bronco by Friday.

Neither the Denver Post or NFL Network, usually leaders on Broncos news, put the report up. Now papers in both cities say that other teams continue to make trade pitches. The Lions are seeking a second or third-round pick as compensation. The Broncos could also pursue Dewayne Robertson.
Source: Detroit News

Scarface
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM

It's more of a good feeling.

MHCBill
02-26-2008, 10:04 AM
jsut getting shaun rogers wont fix anything sure hell get double teamed and dumervil can ball it up but we need another one of course i say trevor laws i saw him play whe they played stanford hes a big man quick for his size he wasa beast
Is this JWalk?

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Is this JWalk?

I think Trevor Laws and Marcus Thomas would be excellent together.

MHCBill
02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I like Trevor Laws too HD.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
If we don't get a FA DT...Gimme Rubin from Iowa State.

G_Money
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, Laws is really starting to impress me. The kid moves like it's easy, no struggle at all. He's an athlete and a fireplug powerhouse.

I wouldn't mind adding him in the 2nd.

~G

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, Laws is really starting to impress me. The kid moves like it's easy, no struggle at all. He's an athlete and a fireplug powerhouse.

I wouldn't mind adding him in the 2nd.

~G

I feel like he'll be there in the 2nd round just like Crowder was................We trade back in the 1st, picking up and additional 3rd.............or even a 2nd.............draft Connor and take Laws in the 2nd...............Jamie Silva in the 4th.................And sorry Boss....NO Runningbacks this year..............and there you have it....three starters, a DT, LB'er and S.

CoachChaz
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I an soooo gonna win this bet

claymore
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
What bet Coach?

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM

I say we wait until April to get the specifics of this bet Coach......You''re going down........and not on Frau either.

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
What bet Coach?

When you see Coach's sig all f'ed up.............you'll know he lost.

CoachChaz
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
HD seems to be convinced the draft will be all defense...I'll start thinking of a sig and avatar for you now.

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
HD seems to be convinced the draft will be all defense...I'll start thinking of a sig and avatar for you now.

Just like last year Coach, we drafted 3 Defensive players out of 4............ I'll consult my crystal ball the night before...............you're screwed.

CoachChaz
02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Just like last year Coach, we drafted 3 Defensive players out of 4............ I'll consult my crystal ball the night before...............you're screwed.

...and you think Shanny is going all defense again?

Odds are we both screw up and miss on every pick.

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM

Well, we need to word this carefully. In 2006, I was HOPING for Dumervil and Marshall but I never thought it would happen.............So, we'll have to decide if this bet is about who we want or who we think they will draft.............I'm guessing the latter. I seriously doubt we go Tackle with our 1st round pick..................A Runningback would also surprise me since we have 3 very good backs already.............Having 4 would be overkill. I think i know how Shanahan thinks, to a point.

topscribe
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Why do you say that?

The last two or three years, the Broncos have seemed to hit on most of them.

----

G_Money
02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
The '07 draft has done exactly nothing yet, after a year in which 3 of em got significant playing time. Let's not crown the Broncos geniuses for a draft that hasn't turned up any significant returns yet.

I liked the Crowder and Thomas picks, hated Harris and Moss and all the draft picks we lost jumping around the draft board like a schizophrenic rabbit. And I understand that DL picks usually take a couple of years to mature into real players in this league.

But nobody from that draft has done anything of note yet. And the 2005 draft included 3 CBs (of whom one is dead, but was being given a hard time for the beats he was taking, and two others who can't crack a starting lineup and are shuffling through the nickel package) and Maurice Clarett with its first day picks.

We've had exactly one draft worth jumping up and down about, and it was the '06 draft - a CRITICAL draft that we seem to have gotten almost exactly right. That's a great thing.

But it's not a trend, not yet.

Let's see what we do this year.

(also, Coach was talking about he and HD missing with their guesses on who we'll select, not about the Broncos missing with the selections).

~G

HolyDiver
02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I think Moss will not let us down. He was looking good just before he got hurt. I still think we got 4 good players.

Hoshdude7
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, we need to word this carefully. In 2006, I was HOPING for Dumervil and Marshall but I never thought it would happen.............So, we'll have to decide if this bet is about who we want or who we think they will draft.............I'm guessing the latter. I seriously doubt we go Tackle with our 1st round pick..................A Runningback would also surprise me since we have 3 very good backs already.............Having 4 would be overkill. I think i know how Shanahan thinks, to a point.

Sorry but nobody does. :confused:

Bronco9798
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Shanahans future as A GM hinges with Rodgers if he signs him and it turns out to be another bad FA signing. Horrible idea in my opinion.

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
The Broncos have reportedly had no substantive talks with the Lions about Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers.

The Rocky Mountain News jumped the gun on declaring a trade imminent on Monday. The Broncos are still exploring the idea of acquiring Rogers, but the Bengals, Bills, and Jets are also interested in the 350-pound nose tackle.

Source: Denver Post

underrated29
02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I dont know if i beleive that. DP messed up on the first report so maybe now we are just trying to cool some things. i still think we end up with him in the near future.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I hope they get the DT thing taken care of by Friday... I hope that is the first addition we make... I really don't care if it is Kelly, Robertson, or Rogers... but I heavily favor Rogers. I would already feel like we are a better team with just the fact that we have a good DT combo.

shank
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont know if i beleive that. DP messed up on the first report so maybe now we are just trying to cool some things. i still think we end up with him in the near future.

i hope so. we better end up with either rogers or robertson. if we do, i'll be happy (probably) if we don't i'll be upset.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Plus it frees up some options come draft day. Signing Rogers and a safety would make me happy. Then we could draft a WAC player in the first.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Plus it frees up some options come draft day. Signing Rogers and a safety would make me happy. Then we could draft a WAC player in the first.

Someone WAC me if we do.

EMB6903
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Shanahans future as A GM hinges with Rodgers if he signs him and it turns out to be another bad FA signing. Horrible idea in my opinion.

what other options do we have at DT if we dont go out and get Rogers?
draft one and wait a year or two before he actually becomes a productive Defensive tackle?

Rogers has the talent of a top 5 defensive tackle, and isnt even 30 years old yet, you RARELY get a chance to aquire a DOMINANT defensive tackle in his physical prime these days.. I know he lacks motivation every now and then but even so he still had a GREAT year last year. Give him a new envirement with an actual winning organization and lets see how it plays out.... the guys been with the lousy Lions his whole career.

CoachChaz
02-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I think I'd WAC off if we drafted Clady

shank
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
god i hope rogers and robertson aren't a part of the vilma deal...

the fact that he's going for a physical but no one else is could be seen as good news right? or do teams ONLY do physicals when a player is coming off of an injury?

missing on both of these guys would not be a good start to the offseason (imo--god i hate having to write that after every post)

shank
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

oh, man, that's WAC

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

I think i'd hire the mob to WAC Shanahan if we drafted Clady.

shank
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I think i'd hire the mob to WAC Shanahan if we drafted Clady.

now boss, that's just WACky talk.

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
This whole thread is WACed out.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Gimme Robertson over Rogers. Sign Madieu Williams.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Looks like you get your wish... rumor has it we are involved in a three team trade. We are getting Robertson and a 5th for Foxworth and our 2nd, and the Jets get Rogers.

dogfish
02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Looks like you get your wish... rumor has it we are involved in a three team trade. We are getting Robertson and a 5th for Foxworth and our 2nd, and the Jets get Rogers.

message board rumor, not a reliable source-- U29 has already said he's going to delete the thread. . . .

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2008, 05:51 PM

I believe you, but where did you hear this? That sucks BTW. I like Foxworth, and I want Rogers more than Robertson.

BOSSHOGG30
02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I believe you, but where did you hear this? That sucks BTW. I like Foxworth, and I want Rogers more than Robertson.

Guess another poster on here made it up.... sounded like a fair deal though, so I went with it.

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Gotcha.

underrated29
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
ok thread deleted. I didnt make it up. But once i figured out how i found it some other a hole did make it up. So i trashed it.

Lets hope he is full of it, we need our 2nd way to much. unless we can pull out two players like roberts/rodgers or vilma and robertson.

shank
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
ok thread deleted. I didnt make it up. But once i figured out how i found it some other a hole did make it up. So i trashed it.

Lets hope he is full of it, we need our 2nd way to much. unless we can pull out two players like roberts/rodgers or vilma and robertson.

some other guys later in the thread said that the first report was false, and that we're supposedley 'very close' to closing the deal

foxworth and gold for rogers.

where the hell do people get these ideas?

(but god, how awesome would that deal be lol)

DallasChief
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay

underrated29
02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
he he

That ones much better!

I wish FA would freaking start already so we can stop hearing all these dumb ass rumors.

shank
02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
he he

That ones much better!

I wish FA would freaking start already so we can stop hearing all these dumb ass rumors.

amen brother!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Foxxy and Gold for Rogers...yesterday...and twice on Monday.

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay

Well, considering that you have at least 8 starting positions that need to be filled, I don't think you want anyone overpaying for anything this offseason. Or...you might just be starting all 10 of your draft picks. Now, that...that would be entertaining.

dogfish
02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay
please overpay

please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan

:lol:

MOtorboat
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan
please draft matt ryan

:lol:

Please...they take Limas Sweed. Mark it.

BeefStew25
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Boss, post some more message board rumors.

topscribe
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
some other guys later in the thread said that the first report was false, and that we're supposedley 'very close' to closing the deal

foxworth and gold for rogers.

where the hell do people get these ideas?

(but god, how awesome would that deal be lol)

Not gonna happen. I hear the Broncos are drawing close to trading Gold to
N.O. for a 2-litre bottle of Pepsi and a Three Musketeers . . . provided the
Pepsi hasn't been opened . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Wabbit, I and a few other Maners were talking back and forth and Wabbit usually has the goods; and he just doesn't see any substance to these rumors about us having a "done deal in place for Rogers." -- personally, I feel it's just something that the RMN gave legs to because they wanted to be the ones that broke the goods. Of course Denver (and a myriad of other teams) would be interested in a player who can be as dominant as Rogers, but that doesn't mean they were close to a deal.

Secondly, the reports all act as if Detroit has the leverage in this situation. They don't. Just like we don't with Javon. They have money to pay him, and if they want to deal him, it's going to be at a price less than they probably want. Rogers clearly doesn't want to play there, and they'd be smart and get what they can for him.

I'm sure Denver has inquired about getting Rogers, and I'm sure they've made a few offers. I just can't even understand to see where they are even close on a deal given the circumstances.

"Picks involved."

"Wait, now picks and players."

"Now Ian and Foxworth for Rogers."

What gives these things legs?

At the end of the day, honestly - I have a hard time buying that we'll land Rogers, unless it's a price that's good for us - not for them.

Bronco9798
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't see it happening personally. This is a mistake Shanahan can't afford to make.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't see it happening personally. This is a mistake Shanahan can't afford to make.

It would also go against what Bowlen has been saying all along IMHO.

underrated29
02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
yeah chris what has the white wabbit been saying about what we are looking to do? anything at all?

I am not on the mane, but i have seen you often qoute him about what he knows or thinks and like you said most of the time its spot on. So any insight he has i would appreciate. Since i have no way of getting any. Insight that is.:cool:

dogfish
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
So any insight he has i would appreciate. Since i have no way of getting any. Insight that is.:cool:

try some peyote. . . . :laugh:

slim
02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
try some peyote. . . . :laugh:

Did you guys see the size of that chicken?

atwater27
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
never mind, already posted.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Wabbit, I and a few other Maners were talking back and forth and Wabbit usually has the goods; and he just doesn't see any substance to these rumors about us having a "done deal in place for Rogers." -- personally, I feel it's just something that the RMN gave legs to because they wanted to be the ones that broke the goods. Of course Denver (and a myriad of other teams) would be interested in a player who can be as dominant as Rogers, but that doesn't mean they were close to a deal.

Secondly, the reports all act as if Detroit has the leverage in this situation. They don't. Just like we don't with Javon. They have money to pay him, and if they want to deal him, it's going to be at a price less than they probably want. Rogers clearly doesn't want to play there, and they'd be smart and get what they can for him.

I'm sure Denver has inquired about getting Rogers, and I'm sure they've made a few offers. I just can't even understand to see where they are even close on a deal given the circumstances.

"Picks involved."

"Wait, now picks and players."

"Now Ian and Foxworth for Rogers."

What gives these things legs?

At the end of the day, honestly - I have a hard time buying that we'll land Rogers, unless it's a price that's good for us - not for them.

I agree, Dream. This sounds too much like the Broncos trade for John Abraham that was reported to be "done" by that kid on "jets tv" that of course wasn't true at all. That false report, cooked up by a teenager with a PC Camera, circulated through every media outlet including ESPN and NFL.com and all the Message Boards like wildfire. It was crazy how many "respected" journalists bought into the MB fodder and reported this rumor as if it were fact. This is probably no different. :shots:

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 03:45 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/28/broncos-lock-engelberger/

The Broncos were linked to the talented but enigmatic two- time Pro Bowl selection nearly from the time Rogers was put on the trade market, but the team no longer is in the picture.

dogfish
02-29-2008, 04:25 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/28/broncos-lock-engelberger/

The Broncos were linked to the talented but enigmatic two- time Pro Bowl selection nearly from the time Rogers was put on the trade market, but the team no longer is in the picture.

now THAT is a classic mike shanahan D-line move-- we tried to get shaun rogers, but ended up with john engelberger. . . .

:spit: :pound: :laugh:

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
reports are saying he is a bengal now.

SO LETS ALL FORGET ABOUT IT!

Scarface
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Good.

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Yes, and it cost Cincy 3rd and 5th round picks to get him.

shank
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, and it cost Cincy 3rd and 5th round picks to get him.

are you thinking of kris jenkins to jets? or did both players get the same value?

Stargazer
02-29-2008, 04:29 PM
are you thinking of kris jenkins to jets? or did both players get the same value?

Yep. Both went for 3rd and 5th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271113

Poet
02-29-2008, 04:39 PM

SO LETS ALL FORGET ABOUT IT!

WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fcspikeit
02-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Can we please delete this thread now :(

All of these threads about player who are already gone are depressing :tsk: