PDA

View Full Version : Broncos/Redskins a Trading Duo

WARHORSE
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Despite 32 NFL teams doing business in 32 places, probably no two teams have swapped players or draft picks more in recent years than the Broncos and the Washington Redskins.

Former Broncos coach Mike Shana-han was introduced Wednesday as the Redskins' new coach in search of new players, meaning Denver may have a willing suitor for players it wants to unload. Shanahan won't need directory assistance to get the phones ringing.

"I know in my time, we always had a feeling Denver would kind of do a deal when it was time," former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. "And we were always willing to do things too. Neither team was hesitant about getting to it."

In recent seasons the Broncos and Redskins have manufactured the

NFL
View slide show of former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.
rare blockbuster trade — Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and a draft pick. They have swapped first-round draft picks. And they have been part of a multiteam deal that sent disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie to the Atlanta Falcons.
The teams have been so willing to deal that even after the Broncos signed Dre Bly out from under the Redskins in 2007, the Redskins still pursued Bly in a trade in the days that followed by offering Shanahan a deal that included Shawn Springs.

"It's one of those places where they want a winner and the team does whatever it takes," said Bailey, who played five seasons for Washington to go with his six for Denver since the 2004 trade. "And you would expect with (owner Daniel Snyder) and Coach Shanahan, they'll do whatever it takes. If anybody can turn it around, (Shanahan) can."

Don't be surprised if Shanahan and the Redskins are interested in restricted free agents such as Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall, tight end Tony Scheffler and guard Chris Kuper. Marshall and Scheffler almost certainly are headed elsewhere after being benched by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels for the season finale. Both would fit quickly into the Redskins' new playbook.

Washington, with many holes to fill along the offensive line, will be adjusting to Shanahan's zone-blocking run game, which calls for smaller, quicker linemen. The Redskins, who were battered by injuries up front this season, have not stocked their line in recent drafts, having selected only two offensive linemen over the past five drafts and only one offensive lineman in the first or second round in the past 10 drafts — left tackle Chris Samuels in the first round of the 2000 draft. Neck problems may have Samuels considering retirement.

That could put Kuper in demand by the Redskins. And because Snyder is one of the NFL's most free-spending owners, Shanahan will have the ability to send out plenty of offer sheets that are difficult for teams to match.

The Broncos, like any team, would have seven days to match an offer sheet for one of their restricted free agents after free agency opens in March.

Shanahan's hiring could affect the Broncos' coaching staff as well. McDaniels likely will make a few changes in the coming weeks.

Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison is being considered for the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator job. But Shanahan is poised to offer Dennison a job as well, two league sources said Tuesday night.

As of Wednesday afternoon, neither team had formally asked permission to interview Dennison. Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner, strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, assistant strength coach Greg Saporta, special-teams assistant Keith Burns and director of football administration Mike Bluem all were longtime Shana-han associates who figure to draw interest from him.

And with final say over the Redskins' football operations, Shanahan promised Wednesday to move quickly and do "whatever it takes" to return the team to the playoffs.

"I'm looking forward to leading this football team. I'm excited to be here," Shanahan said at Redskins headquarters in Ashburn, Va. "I'm going to give it everything I've got."

And that might include some of what the Broncos have.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Open for business

Even before former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan became coach of the Redskins this week, the teams were more than willing to make deals in recent years:

March 2004

Jolting the NFL, the Broncos traded running back Clinton Portis to the Redskins for cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round draft pick. The second-round pick became running back Tatum Bell in the draft that April.

April 2005

Denver traded the 25th pick in the draft to Washington for the Redskins' third-round pick in 2005 and first- and fourth- round picks in 2006. That first-round pick eventually became the 22nd pick, which the Broncos traded to the San Francisco 49ers on draft day in 2006 to move up and take quarterback Jay Cutler at No. 11 overall. Denver used the fourth-round pick from the Redskins trade that same year to select wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

August 2006

The Broncos, dealing with an unhappy wide receiver in Ashley Lelie, brokered a three- team trade involving the Redskins and Falcons. Lelie was traded to the Falcons, Atlanta running back T.J. Duckett went to the Redskins and two Washington draft picks — a third- rounder in the 2007 draft and a fourth-rounder in 2008 — went to the Broncos. The Broncos used the third-rounder to select offensive tackle Ryan Harris and used the fourth- rounder to select cornerback Jack Williams. Harris is a starter and Williams was released this past season when the Broncos signed Ty Law.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14137683#ixzz0bwiLOYL4

WARHORSE
01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Kuper will be tendered highly, no doubt about it. If we didnt do that, Washington would sign him right out from under us.

1.5 million is a middle of the road tender, and would garner a second round pick if someone signed him and we chose not to match.

OR, the Broncos could tender him at 2.2 million, and someone would have to give up a first rounder.......which no one would do.....thereby sealing him with us for at least another year.

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Personally, I'd like to see us keep Kuper, but there is a ton of value in the second round of this draft for offensive lineman. At the minimum, I think he gets a second round tender. As far as trading with Shanahan goes, buyer beware. He may not have been worth a darn at drafting, but the guy nearly always came out on top in trades.

JDL
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Personally, I'd like to see us keep Kuper, but there is a ton of value in the second round of this draft for offensive lineman. At the minimum, I think he gets a second round tender. As far as trading with Shanahan goes, buyer beware. He may not have been worth a darn at drafting, but the guy nearly always came out on top in trades.

Javon Walker says hi! :) It was simply a dumb trade (bad knee, big contract demands, bad attitude, whined his way out of GB, we bid against ourselves), just glad we got 1 good year out of the *****, - even worse we were considering Greg Jennings... ugh.

That was a horrible trade... Shanahan (unless he was dealing with the Redskins) ROUTINELY took on most if not all of the risk in a trade... he really wasn't very good at trades... imo... particularly on draft day, really struggled to make deals for good value and more than once past up future 1st rd picks to trade down to select unspectacular players. He is a guy who likes who he likes and does care about value. Not my type of draft or free agent evaluator from that standpoint because I am more risk adverse person... I believe in the good decisions breed good luck/fortune... if you make sound investments consistently, they won't all be successful, but over the long run you will have far greater success than someone who adopts a high risk/reward approach (in the end they tend to end up on the negative side.)

Hamilton is a free agent so he'd go before Kuper
Montrae Holland who started 16 games for Shanahan is available
Cornell Green is available

Those guys can be brought in for no compensation and while Kuper is solid he isn't likely worth a 2nd rd pick to anyone and quite frankly, I don't think we need to create MORE holes than we already have.

Hillis is available

Scheffler I think people forget was not exactly loved by Shanahan at the end. I doubt he has any interest, particularly with Cooley and Davis there... though there is talk of Cooley being moved and I would be ALL FOR HIM.

Bailey is a possibility, but we'll have to see if McD will hold true to his post season news conference... but coaches never tell the whole truth, people shouldn't be shocked he doesn't. Reality is that he is due 12.5mil, will want to be the highest CB, is still a good CB, but is not worthy of the highest paid CB... and it may create an impasse, albeit a far less dramatic and public one I suspect.

Dumervil if he wants Ware money could be shipped for say a 2nd this year and 1st next year (idea being that because Washington won't give up their first... and Shanahan rarely has losing seasons, rather than give up a 1st and 3rd, they will agree to alternate compensation of a 2nd rd pick this year and 1st rd pick next year.

Brandon Stokely is likely to be gone, probably cut imo. Washington really has its 3rd WR in Randel El though... but if Dennison went to Houston, he could be a candidate there.

Brandon Marshall is not liked by Shanahan imo, everyone said the story was recanted, but it wasn't... it was changed... it was that Shanahan was going to look to TRADE Marshall.. not CUT him.. but he was still going to be moved and I think Shanahan was tired of the drama with him. I see him going to Indianapolis quite frankly... if Indy misses the Super Bowl... Manning will renew his friendship with Marshall and Marshall, not dealing with the wrist injury, will prove he isn't a drop machine like he was in the Pro Bowl. Wayne is going to be 32 and they need a star WR always for Manning and to return to having 2 star WRs like Wayne/Harrison... to team with a good TE.

Peyton Hillis could be traded for a 6th rd pick imo to Shanahan... we didn't do much to increase his value, but I suspect Shanahan would love to have him for his versatility.

Royal and Williams are safe i believe, as is Clady/Harris.

I could see one deal go down. Probably a minor one... similar to how Miami got Anthony Fasano. Something like that where Parcells brought enough of HIS guys over.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 06:53 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/sickpicsnfl/GYI0050901943102822_1024x768.jpg

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't see Shanahan doing a lot of trading with the Broncos purely because of the relationship he has with Bowlen and the organization. It would be a rocky trade, because it would be over criticized at all angles. I think Shanahan might get a couple guys like Stokely and Hillis....but I think those two will be cut from the team. They ight trade Hillis if they knew Shanahan would want him for a 7th.

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about :lol:

I just see the Broncos losing Marshall, Scheff, Hillis,Stokely...at least one OL... and IMO ....Bailey.

Of those.. I think Hillis and possibly Stokely in Washington (although Stokely has really really lost a lot, he will be a nice addition to have on the team to help the WRs out during practices).

spikerman
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't see Shanahan doing a lot of trading with the Broncos purely because of the relationship he has with Bowlen and the organization. It would be a rocky trade, because it would be over criticized at all angles. I think Shanahan might get a couple guys like Stokely and Hillis....but I think those two will be cut from the team. They ight trade Hillis if they knew Shanahan would want him for a 7th.

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about :lol:

I just see the Broncos losing Marshall, Scheff, Hillis,Stokely...at least one OL... and IMO ....Bailey.

Of those.. I think Hillis and possibly Stokely in Washington (although Stokely has really really lost a lot, he will be a nice addition to have on the team to help the WRs out during practices).
I think Stokley is still very effective. In fact, he was running wide open all day on Sunday against the Chiefs. For some reason Orton almost never looked at him. He only had eyes for Gaffney. I would like to see Stokley back and used in the Wes Welker role.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I think Stokley is still very effective. In fact, he was running wide open all day on Sunday against the Chiefs. For some reason Orton almost never looked at him. He only had eyes for Gaffney. I would like to see Stokley back and used in the Wes Welker role.

Don't see that happening. Stokely is not fast enough, is getting older and can't take that kind of role, and isn't one of McD's guys. He was rarely used throughout the season. I see him not being a part of this team next year. So being open and not being targeted isn't beng very effective.

Orton looks to the #1 guy, then checks down to the RB. #1 checks down... 1 then down.... thats why the 2nd most receptions on the team was 60 behind Marshall.

I like stokely, but the reality is his time is soon coming to an end. I think he'll make an excellent commentator, though.

Superchop 7
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Shanny worked with Xanders on the Lelie trade.

If the Broncos want them gone......they will deal.

nevcraw
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Not sure about the rest of you but if McD does unload these guys to washington or wherever, I will be none to pleased cuz the cupboard will once again be bare...

Bye Bye Kupe - then 2 quality guards will be needed not just one.
Marshall gone - howd do you feel about Gaffney and Royal as you starters?
Scheftler - is Quinn a pass catching tight end?
Hillis - I thought you can't have too many running backs???
Stokely - boy that Brandon lloyd (who was deactivated all season untill wk 17) is such a gamer..
Champ - Ty Law back as starter?

If Denny and Turner both depart then he's got to find theire replacements as well..
Just wonder when it will end..
as of now with no turnover he has to go get a back up QB, G, 2-3 DL, lb, and a CB.
would love to know if there is a plan... or a an effective well thought out plan..

bcbronc
01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Marshall, Scheff, and Hillis for ALL Washington's upcoming picks?

probably, right.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Marshall, Scheff, and Hillis for ALL Washington's upcoming picks?

probably, right.

LMFAO Like they'd give up their entire draft for that. :lol:

They're not as stupid as Mike Ditka.

bcbronc
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
LMFAO Like they'd give up their entire draft for that. :lol:

They're not as stupid as Mike Ditka.

what if we added Kupe?

:lol:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
what if we added Kupe?

:lol:

At this point, I'd give up the entire offense for Washington's entire draft.

spikerman
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Don't see that happening. Stokely is not fast enough, is getting older and can't take that kind of role, and isn't one of McD's guys. He was rarely used throughout the season. I see him not being a part of this team next year. So being open and not being targeted isn't beng very effective.

Orton looks to the #1 guy, then checks down to the RB. #1 checks down... 1 then down.... thats why the 2nd most receptions on the team was 60 behind Marshall.

I like stokely, but the reality is his time is soon coming to an end. I think he'll make an excellent commentator, though.
I believe Stokley is as fast as Welker and I also believe that Stokley not having more catches on Sunday says more about Orton than Stokley. I agree with you though. I don't think McDaniels sees a role for him. Just one more personnel decision that leaves me scratching my head.

WARHORSE
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I believe Stokley is as fast as Welker and I also believe that Stokley not having more catches on Sunday says more about Orton than Stokley. I agree with you though. I don't think McDaniels sees a role for him. Just one more personnel decision that leaves me scratching my head.

Stokely IS as fast as Welker..........in NFL 2001 game tape.:coffee:

spikerman
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Stokely IS as fast as Welker..........in NFL 2001 game tape.:coffee:

We can debate it until the cows come home. Neither is as fast as they used to be. It doesn't matter. The routes Welker runs and Stokley presumeably would run don't call for a lot of speed. Besides from what I saw Sunday he had plenty of whatever it takes to get the job done because he was WIDE open all day long.