01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
jim armstrong
Armstrong: Broncos play same song to end season — "Wipeout"
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/04/2010 01:24:06 AM MST
Updated: 01/04/2010 01:24:20 AM MST

Paige: No need for review: Broncos flat-out quit

What's one more loss at this point? One more embarrassing, incomprehensible loss?

Hey, Shanny, you sure you want that Washington gig? Pat Bowlen didn't mean all that stuff he said when he canned you.

OK, so it's not that bad. So the Broncos aren't that desperate. But they're close.

The only difference between their 44-24 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday and several that preceded it was that this one finally, officially sealed the Broncos' fate in 2009.

There's no joy in Mile Highville, and no playoffs, either.

Don't look now, but Josh McDaniels, the leader in the clubhouse for NFL coach of the year midway through the season, is doing the same kind of stuff that got Shanahan fired. Sunday's loss marked the third time in four seasons that the Broncos needed to win their season finale to have a chance at the playoffs. Their record in those three games? That would be 0-3.

Wait, there's more embarrassment where that came from. The Broncos became the third team since the AFL-NFL merger to start a season unbeaten through six games and miss the playoffs. Their 8-8 record, the same as Shanahan's last season, tied the 1978 Redskins for the worst among teams unbeaten after six games since the merger.

The beat goes on and on for the Broncos. The brain damage too. To wit: Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler were told their presence wasn't needed at Invesco Field at Mile High. Neither was on the sideline to watch Denver's eighth loss in 10 games.

At this point, it would be shocking to see either Marshall or Scheffler back next season. And trust me, the changes won't end there. McDaniels obviously doesn't have much time for, or much faith in, all those Shanahan holdovers.

Can you say housecleaning? Yes. In fact, feel free to shout it from high atop Mount Evans. If you thought bodies were flying after last season, there will be at least as many this offseason.

Talk about a pathetic effort. The Broncos, two weeks after allowing 241 rushing yards to the Raiders, watched helplessly as Chiefs tailback Jamaal Charles went for a franchise-record 259.

The Broncos finished the season 4-4 at Invesco Field. So what else is new? They were .500 at home last season too. The sad-but-true fact: Denver, once the proud possessor of the NFL's No. 1 home-field advantage, is 17-15 at home since the end of the 2005 season.

So it is that a once-promising season has gone down the drain. And it's not like the Broncos didn't catch a break here and there. They simply weren't good enough to make the playoffs in McDaniels' first season on the sideline.

Did I just say they weren't good enough? Hey, it's the holidays, and I'm trying to be nice. The truth is, the Broncos since their six-game winning streak have the 30th-best record in the league. Only the Rams and Lions, at 1-9, have been worse than the Broncos' 2-8 mark.

This is where I'm supposed to look for a silver lining, a hint of optimism, a whiff of positive news. Um, did I mention Kyle Orton hit Derrick Johnson in stride on both of Johnson's interception returns for touchdowns?

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14115811#ixzz0bthZOwS7

dogfish
01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
wow, great analysis there jim-- maybe for your next piece you can tell us how grass is green, and water is wet. . .

Dirk
01-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I guess he has to type something out. As if no one knew all that already.

I

claymore
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Its not Armstrongs fault he has nothing positive to write about.

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
It's funny how he's whining about the same old yearly collapse of the Broncos, and then how McD wants to change out the players that have all contributed to that same yearly collapse.

missingnumber7
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
McDaniels obviously doesn't have much time for, or much faith in, all those Shanahan holdovers.

Lines like this from the media and fans in general are getting beyond old. If this were honestly the case McD would've cut/traded the whole group and moved on in the beginning. Whats neglected is that there is still a large group of players on the team that are Shanny not only holdovers, but shanny picked players. But they aren't really Shanny's guys nor are they McD's guys...They are Broncos.

Decent article none the less.

weazel
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
jim armstrong
Armstrong: Broncos play same song to end season — "Wipeout"
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/04/2010 01:24:06 AM MST
Updated: 01/04/2010 01:24:20 AM MST

Paige: No need for review: Broncos flat-out quit

What's one more loss at this point? One more embarrassing, incomprehensible loss?

Hey, Shanny, you sure you want that Washington gig? Pat Bowlen didn't mean all that stuff he said when he canned you.

OK, so it's not that bad. So the Broncos aren't that desperate. But they're close.

The only difference between their 44-24 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday and several that preceded it was that this one finally, officially sealed the Broncos' fate in 2009.

There's no joy in Mile Highville, and no playoffs, either.

Don't look now, but Josh McDaniels, the leader in the clubhouse for NFL coach of the year midway through the season, is doing the same kind of stuff that got Shanahan fired. Sunday's loss marked the third time in four seasons that the Broncos needed to win their season finale to have a chance at the playoffs. Their record in those three games? That would be 0-3.

Wait, there's more embarrassment where that came from. The Broncos became the third team since the AFL-NFL merger to start a season unbeaten through six games and miss the playoffs. Their 8-8 record, the same as Shanahan's last season, tied the 1978 Redskins for the worst among teams unbeaten after six games since the merger.

The beat goes on and on for the Broncos. The brain damage too. To wit: Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler were told their presence wasn't needed at Invesco Field at Mile High. Neither was on the sideline to watch Denver's eighth loss in 10 games.

At this point, it would be shocking to see either Marshall or Scheffler back next season. And trust me, the changes won't end there. McDaniels obviously doesn't have much time for, or much faith in, all those Shanahan holdovers.

Can you say housecleaning? Yes. In fact, feel free to shout it from high atop Mount Evans. If you thought bodies were flying after last season, there will be at least as many this offseason.

Talk about a pathetic effort. The Broncos, two weeks after allowing 241 rushing yards to the Raiders, watched helplessly as Chiefs tailback Jamaal Charles went for a franchise-record 259.

The Broncos finished the season 4-4 at Invesco Field. So what else is new? They were .500 at home last season too. The sad-but-true fact: Denver, once the proud possessor of the NFL's No. 1 home-field advantage, is 17-15 at home since the end of the 2005 season.

So it is that a once-promising season has gone down the drain. And it's not like the Broncos didn't catch a break here and there. They simply weren't good enough to make the playoffs in McDaniels' first season on the sideline.

Did I just say they weren't good enough? Hey, it's the holidays, and I'm trying to be nice. The truth is, the Broncos since their six-game winning streak have the 30th-best record in the league. Only the Rams and Lions, at 1-9, have been worse than the Broncos' 2-8 mark.

This is where I'm supposed to look for a silver lining, a hint of optimism, a whiff of positive news. Um, did I mention Kyle Orton hit Derrick Johnson in stride on both of Johnson's interception returns for touchdowns?

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14115811#ixzz0bthZOwS7

wow, very insightful. :rolleyes:

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
It's funny how he's whining about the same old yearly collapse of the Broncos, and then how McD wants to change out the players that have all contributed to that same yearly collapse.

explain how marshall and schefler contributed to that collapse....i mean marshall had 10 tds and a 100 rec?

coaching had a bigger factor in the collapse then any single player

scheffler had 31 rec....grahm 28...scheff had 416 yards...2 tds....grahn 289..1...scheff had 19 of his 31 rec for 1st downs...grahm 14

scheff had 21 rec and 2 tds in our wins...only 10 rec in the 8 losses...doesnt take a scientist to think...maybe we should try to open up the field with this guy

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey, but at least we were better than the Rams and the Lions the last 10 games of the year!!!

topscribe
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Looks to me as if ol' Jim had a job requirement, so he just typed up something and went home . . .

-----

Shazam!
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
What a groundbreaking article. Nothing that hasn't been said here.

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Good catch Top.

claymore
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Guys,

Im Jim Armstrong. Dont tell anyone.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Looks to me as if ol' Jim had a job requirement, so he just typed up something and went home . . .

-----

kinda what top does huh?

oooooo burn!!!! just kidding top:beer:

topscribe
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
kinda what top does huh?

oooooo burn!!!! just kidding top:beer:

I am home!!

I wake up in the morning 36" away from work. Eat your heart out. :D

-----

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
yet..... nothing he said was wrong. The beauty of journalism. Although nothing was groundbreaking.... it laid it out. Gave some interesting facts, and let the rest speak for itself...... which is exactly what he's saying. The season speaks for itself.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
yet..... nothing he said was wrong. The beauty of journalism. Although nothing was groundbreaking.... it laid it out. Gave some interesting facts, and let the rest speak for itself...... which is exactly what he's saying. The season speaks for itself.

they why does it need jim to speak for it?

:lol:

BroncoNut
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Its not Armstrongs fault he has nothing positive to write about.

We did stink it up pretty good the last half of the season. Only 2 or 3 games stick out as entertaining and fun to watch. Yeah, yeah, I know, better than expected at the start of the season.,, buy why? why do we lose games we should win. I don't get that.!!!!!!!!

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM

that is a twisted form of irony :confused:

missingnumber7
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Everyone's gotta do something to get a little $$...at least its not the garbage that woody puts in print.

Cugel
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Looks to me as if ol' Jim had a job requirement, so he just typed up something and went home . . .-----

What exactly is he supposed to say after an epic collapse of these proportions -- and for the third year in a row? That the grass is always greener and next season we'll surely get-em? :coffee:

Is there any doubt in anybody's mind that they bitterly missed Marshall and Sheffler out there? Did you not see those balls bouncing helplessly off Daniel Graham's hands.

That's why he's a blocking TE. Because you can't count on him to make the tough catch with the game on the line.

That interception thrown into double-coverage around the goal-line? Marshall makes those kinds of catches -- or at least he manages to break up the pass so it's not intercepted.

He draws constant double-teams freeing up other players in single coverage.

Now of course he'll be doing it for another team and we'll see just how great Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney are without Marshall in the lineup.

The Broncos are now left without a true #1 WR OR a pass-catching TE, all because McDaniels' ego can't stand the strain of coaching and he just HAS to get into power fights with his star players.

It's not as if this is the first time! He's now done it THREE times in ONE season! That's a character flaw, not a sign of great coaching! Great coaches find the way to get along with their players -- even prima-donnas. Notice Belichek feuding with Randy Moss?

And was there ever a player with a bigger ego or sense of entitlement than Randy Moss? I mean EVER? :coffee:

Seriously, I defy you to name one. Not Ocho Cincho, not T.O., nobody! I mean the guy ran over a meter-maid because she DARED to write him a ticket! "Doesn't she know who I AM?!" :coffee:

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I am home!!

I wake up in the morning 36" away from work. Eat your heart out. :D

-----

wait....now wait a cotton picken minute...you mean someone PAYS YOU TO WRITE SENSLESS BANTER ON MESSAGE BOARDS???

:cool:

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
wow, great analysis there jim-- maybe for your next piece you can tell us how grass is green, and water is wet. . .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:25 PM

I thought it was funny how he compared our record this year to Shanny's last year and then in the same sentenced asked if Shanny could come back. :lol:

topscribe
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
wait....now wait a cotton picken minute...you mean someone PAYS YOU TO WRITE SENSLESS BANTER ON MESSAGE BOARDS???

:cool:

Listen, the only reason I even post here is because I get to say shit . . . :coffee:

-----

Superchop 7
01-08-2010, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=topscribe;877358]Listen, the only reason I even post here is because I get to say shit . . . :coffee:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________-

shit=Orton

Top, you need to check out Snead, all the tools, needs some coaching up, but thats Josh's specialty, but for a 3rd rd pick, no expectations, can be brought along slowly without pressuring Orton. Dropped in value, could have been a 1st rounder, the value is very good, best chance for gold past the top 3 QB's. Best comparison in skill set is Plummer.

topscribe
01-09-2010, 12:00 AM
shit=Orton

Top, you need to check out Snead, all the tools, needs some coaching up, but thats Josh's specialty, but for a 3rd rd pick, no expectations, can be brought along slowly without pressuring Orton. Dropped in value, could have been a 1st rounder, the value is very good, best chance for gold past the top 3 QB's. Best comparison in skill set is Plummer.

Chop, I love ya, man. But I do not find your demonstrated erstwhile taste in
quarterbacks encouraging to me in valuing your recommendations . . . :coffee:

-----

Broncolingus
01-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Interesting observation...

rcsodak
01-09-2010, 03:08 PM
explain how marshall and schefler contributed to that collapse....i mean marshall had 10 tds and a 100 rec?

coaching had a bigger factor in the collapse then any single player

scheffler had 31 rec....grahm 28...scheff had 416 yards...2 tds....grahn 289..1...scheff had 19 of his 31 rec for 1st downs...grahm 14

scheff had 21 rec and 2 tds in our wins...only 10 rec in the 8 losses...doesnt take a scientist to think...maybe we should try to open up the field with this guy

Yea, cuz he's Gates/Gonzalez/Witten all wrapped up in one. :rolleyes:

G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD
2009 15 9 31 416 13.4 52 2
2008 13 7 40 645 16.1 72 3
2007 16 7 49 549 11.2 41 5
2006 13 5 18 286 15.9 29 4
TOTAL 138 1,896 13.7 72 14

Maybe he should make a better effort of getting open.

And while he's at it, possibly catch/hold-onto the ball.

Finally, how about reminding himself he's a TIGHT END! A position that constitutes BLOCKING.

Germaine Gresham from OU would make everybody here say "tony who?"

I liked Shef when he was picked in '06, but players need to be TEAM players. It's one thing for a superstar to mouth off, but for an average, non game-deciding player to do it, they should be jettisoned and/or used as an example, imo.

arapaho2
01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Yea, cuz he's Gates/Gonzalez/Witten all wrapped up in one. :rolleyes:

G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD
2009 15 9 31 416 13.4 52 2
2008 13 7 40 645 16.1 72 3
2007 16 7 49 549 11.2 41 5
2006 13 5 18 286 15.9 29 4
TOTAL 138 1,896 13.7 72 14

Maybe he should make a better effort of getting open.

And while he's at it, possibly catch/hold-onto the ball.

Finally, how about reminding himself he's a TIGHT END! A position that constitutes BLOCKING.

Germaine Gresham from OU would make everybody here say "tony who?"

I liked Shef when he was picked in '06, but players need to be TEAM players. It's one thing for a superstar to mouth off, but for an average, non game-deciding player to do it, they should be jettisoned and/or used as an example, imo.

that explains why gates , sharpe, gonzalos have or were probowl regulars...because they 're Tes and got in for the superb blocking :coffee: