PDA

View Full Version : Lynch to play else where?

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 11:03 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — There is a chance veteran safety John Lynch doesn't retire, yet doesn't play with the Broncos in 2008.

The Broncos have offered Lynch a revised contract for the upcoming season. Lynch has three options: return to Denver, retire or decline the new contract and sign elsewhere.

Lynch has one season left on his contract at $3 million. The Broncos are offering a reduced deal. The two sides are continuing to negotiate and the talks remain amicable.

Lynch, 36, is highly regarded at Dove Valley, and the Broncos want him back.

The situation likely will be resolved by March 4, when Lynch is due a roster bonus. Regardless of whether Lynch returns or not, the safety is expected to be a priority position for Denver in free agency.

Looking at Rogers.

According to two sources close to the situation, Denver is in the exploration process of looking at Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. Lions general manager Matt Millen said Friday he would listen to offers for Rogers, who has been seeking a trade. At least a handful of teams are expected to be in play for him.

Denver long has been an admirer of Rogers, who last season had one of his better games against the Broncos. The Broncos are looking for help at defensive tackle, which may be their greatest area of need along with a safety. Denver could look at defensive tackle Rod Coleman, who recently was cut by Atlanta.

Walker update.

Kennard McGuire, who represents Denver receiver Javon Walker, had a meeting Friday with the Broncos to hash out Walker's situation. Denver is expected to trade or release Walker.

Tampa Bay is among the teams showing interest in Walker. The Jets, who could make linebacker Jonathan Vilma available, also could be in play for Walker. McGuire made it clear Walker is healthy enough to play in 2008.

Any deal involving Walker likely would involve a conditional draft pick. If he's not traded by March 4, Denver likely would cut Walker, who is due $5.4 million in bonuses this year. Deals can't be finalized until the new league season starts Friday.

Receivers coach update.

Denver has interviewed four candidates for the receivers coaching job. The Broncos may interview more candidates before making a hire in a couple of weeks. The team is looking for a coach to help in the wake of Jeremy Bates' promotion to passing game coordinator.

Denver has interviewed Jedd Fisch (formerly of Baltimore), LSU receivers coach D.J. McCarthy (coached Brandon Marshall at Central Florida), Alabama State receivers coach Reggie Barlow and Denver offensive quality control coach Joe Baker. He was the team's linebackers coach last year. Barlow no longer is a candidate.

Linebacker talk.

The Broncos are considering moving D.J. Williams from middle linebacker to weakside linebacker if they find a middle linebacker they like.

With a need for another starter — Ian Gold is likely to be cut — Denver is open-minded to finding the best fit and then adjusting from that point. The Broncos liked Zach Thomas, but talks ended before he signed with Dallas on Saturday.

Footnotes.

Travis Henry's base salary was slashed to $1 million a year, but the Denver running back does have incentives based on yardage where he can make up parts of the five-year, $22.5 million deal he signed last year. . . . Offensive tackle Erik Pears signed his exclusive rights free agency tender. . . . Tight end Stephen Alexander is expected to soon file his retirement papers. . . . The team is making progress in contract talks with place-kicker Jason Elam and defensive end John Engelberger. . . . If Denver pursues a veteran punter, Matt Turk is a possibility.

Staff writer Mike Klis contributed to this report.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Trade hin straight for Vilma and be done with it.

turftoad
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Trade hin straight for Vilma and be done with it.

He's not worth what Vilma is. Lynch probably only has one decent year left in him.
If we had had a couple of good young safteys, this wouldn't bother me at all. We'd miss his leadership thats about it.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
He's not worth what Vilma is. Lynch probably only has one decent year left in him.
If we had had a couple of good young safteys, this wouldn't bother me at all. We'd miss his leadership thats about it.

Sorry...I meant trade Walker for Vilma...not Lynch.

HolyDiver
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM

I think he was talking about Walker.

Medford Bronco
02-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry...I meant trade Walker for Vilma...not Lynch.

I would drive Walker to the airport if they could do that trade

:wave: Walker be greedy about catches playing for Eric I have no clue on who my QB is Mangini

mclark
02-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Give Vilma a physical first and see if he's really damaged goods, like the Jets were saying earlier this year.

If he can play, yes, I agree, make the trade for Walker.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Give Vilma a physical first and see if he's really damaged goods, like the Jets were saying earlier this year.

If he can play, yes, I agree, make the trade for Walker.

Does it matter? It's not like Walker has much of a career ahead of him with that knee. If it's even remotely as degenerative as mine, he'll be done by 32

mclark
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Does it matter? It's not like Walker has much of a career ahead of him with that knee. If it's even remotely as degenerative as mine, he'll be done by 32

Maybe we can get Vilma for a 5th round pick and trade Walker to someone else for a 3rd rounder!

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Maybe we can get Vilma for a 5th round pick and trade Walker to someone else for a 3rd rounder!

My suggestion was Walker and #108 to Jax for #58 and a 2009 4th rounder...then send the Jets that 4th rounder and #117 for Vilma. We would then gain a 2nd round pick and a LB for the price of two 4th rounders.

mclark
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
My suggestion was Walker and #108 to Jax for #58 and a 2009 4th rounder...then send the Jets that 4th rounder and #117 for Vilma. We would then gain a 2nd round pick and a LB for the price of two 4th rounders.

I like it. We should also talk with Tennessee about Walker. They currently have NO receivers.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I like it. We should also talk with Tennessee about Walker. They currently have NO receivers.

Either way is fine with me.

turftoad
02-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Even with his injured knee there no way the Jets let Vilma go for a 5th rounder.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't see how the Jets can say he isn't physically capable of performing and then have a demand for a high pick for him.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Vilma is already jogging... he said he will be running before the draft... The Jets won't make a trade until draft day anyways, because they want Vilma to run and get a better pick or player in return.

DenBronx
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Vilma is already jogging... he said he will be running before the draft... The Jets won't make a trade until draft day anyways, because they want Vilma to run and get a better pick or player in return.

isnt walker running too? walker for vilma isnt a bad idea.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Vilma already had his surgery... Walker hasn't and some say he needs it.

G_Money
02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Vilma already had his surgery... Walker hasn't and some say he needs it.

Walker had surgery - it just wasn't microfracture. He had a scope job done to clean out debris and says he's fine.

I just don't believe him, that's all.

~G

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Walker had surgery - it just wasn't microfracture. He had a scope job done to clean out debris and says he's fine.

I just don't believe him, that's all.

~G

I had 3 scopes done within 5 years after my surgery. People don't realize...when you blow up your knee...it's NEVER the same.

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Vilma is a high character guy.

Walker is a......whiny character guy.

We may have to throw in a late round pick with the ole Walker for Vilma trade.

HolyDiver
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Vilma is a high character guy.

Walker is a......whiny character guy.

We may have to throw in a late round pick with the ole Walker for Vilma trade.

Can Vilma play Strongside?

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Can Vilma play Strongside?

Vilma is all MLB. If he can play 16 games at all, I suspect it will have to be in the middle

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Vilma is a monster in the middle! Pair him up with D.J. at WILL and we will have an elite linebacker core again. Think Gold and Wilson or Romo and Mobley.

HolyDiver
02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Vilma is all MLB. If he can play 16 games at all, I suspect it will have to be in the middle

That would be fine.............then just put DJ back at Will.

G_Money
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Vilma makes the Mike better and the Will better. He'll make DJ a better Will than he was even in his rookie year, because he understands what DJ can and can't do - they played together for years.

If Vilma will be healthy, he's a better Mike than any we can get in the draft, and he starts off that good immediately. He'll also add some much needed leadership.

I'd definitely add him if it's possible - and he passes the physical.

~G