PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis Speaks on his First Season with Josh McDaniels

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
http://ow.ly/16hCPz

In 2008, when the Denver Broncos endured the adversity of losing six running backs to injury, Peyton Hillis saw a window for his opportunity and he seized it. After former Bronco back Ryan Torain went down himself, Hillis rose to the occasion recording his first career 100-yard rushing game en route to leading the Broncos on the ground that season.

Although Hillis’ year was abruptly ended by an unfortunate hamstring injury incurred after making an acrobatic catch against Kansas City, the young prospect out of Arkansas was riding high in the knowledge he’d proven himself to Mike Shanahan.

The only problem: it wasn’t in the cards for Shanahan to return. Suddenly, once more, Hillis found himself weighed with uncertainty upon the arrival of the Broncos’ new head coach, Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels was a new coach bringing in his own players at Hillis’ position; namely: Knowshon Moreno, the new regime’s 1st round draft pick; and Correll Buckhalter, who McDaniels personally picked from the free agent crop. Unfortunately for Hillis, both players pocketed more money, and had more clout before one snap was even taken in the 2009 preseason.

Before you know it, in a blink of an eye, Hillis went from teetering on the cusp of his potential, to practically dropping off the radar.

Three days after the Denver Broncos’ 2009 season ended in an epic tailspin with a shocking 44-24 domination by the Kansas City Chiefs, Hillis agreed to a one-on-one interview with Fox31’s Josina Anderson to reflect on the past, the present, and the future.

Here is the transcript of their Q & A:

Josina Anderson: Your first season in the league you had 68 carries for 343 yards under Mike Shanahan. This season, under Josh McDaniels you logged 13 carries for 54 yards. Having said that, when you look back at this year, how do you feel this season went?

Peyton Hillis: Well, I was kind of like everybody else in that I was expecting a lot of good things to happen to me this year, especially after last season. Unfortunately, when the new coaching staff arrived it ended up not being that way. It really got me down for a little while. However, I just accepted it because I am really kind of used to it from my days at Arkansas being very similar. It’s been a rough road but I tend to overcome things like this and come out on top. With me not knowing what will happen next year, meaning whether I stay here or go somewhere else, it’s totally out of my hands. It’s up to the coaching staff and everybody else to really decide that for me. Wherever my opportunity is, I am going to be grateful and try to take advantage of it. If I stay here, I just got to prove to my coaches that I deserve to play and that I deserve to be here.

Josina: So with that, what do you think your future is with the Broncos? What can you tell Denver fans about the likelihood of whether you will stay in Denver?

Peyton: Well when you look at yourself and you realize that you’re not playing very much anything can happen. I have to anticipate that I might return, or that I that I might get cut. I have to keep everything up in the air right now so I am not caught off guard if it happens.

Josina: What do you think was the reason for your decline in playing time this season, and for your decrease in production? Some of your teammates that I talk to think it’s a combination of your preseason performance, your fumble against Cleveland early in the regular season, and the politics of McDaniels’ guys Moreno and Buckhalter being in front of you.

Peyton: Well yes, I did fumble one time against Cleveland and that was it. It does feel like all the opportunities I had or could have had demolished after that point, but I thought I had a really good preseason. I thought I was doing exceptionally well, but hey life is full of surprises.

Josina: So do you think politics played a part in how your season unraveled when you consider the fact you had only one fumble this season, and Moreno had four?

Peyton: Well when you get a new head coach, a new philosophy, a new scheme, and he brings all of his new guys, you’re probably going to have to accept that you might have to take a backseat. I’m just the type of guy that continues to work hard and the guy that continues to hope that eventually my coaches will see my potential and talent. When it comes to Knowshon, obviously (McDaniels) drafted him so he is going to get more opportunities.

Josina: As the season progressed, and the media and fans observed that you were not getting as much playing time, many of them assumed that you were in the doghouse. Did you ever feel like you were, was there ever any tension between you and McDaniels?

Peyton: Being the guy that I am, I’m not the one to ask a lot of questions or question the leader. I just kind of like to let things happen the way they will. I’m the one that is going to just put my head down and keep on working hard. Josh and I were always very friendly whenever we talked to one another. We didn’t talk a lot, but when we did it was very conversational.

Josina: But do you feel now in hindsight, given the way that you just described the nature of your personality that perhaps you should have spoke up more on your own behalf?

Peyton: I think not. I think that I am a smart enough guy to speak up if I feel like I can get something accomplished. But being a 7th round draft pick, I just realize that I am in less of a position to impose myself on any coach. So, there was really no reason in doing that.

Josina: But what about a case like your teammate Tony Carter? He was on the Broncos practice squad most of the season, and Josh promoted him to the active roster. Evidently your introductory status is not related to your ability to advance or progress, or so it would seem from that example. What’s the truth, or what was your truth?

Peyton: Tony (Carter) is still (McDaniels’) guy. They brought him in as (an undrafted free agent), so I feel like (McDaniels) still has more of a comfort level with a guy like Tony when it comes to integrating him into his own system. My experience in what I had to deal with individually was different, so there is really nothing different that I could have done about it.

Josina: So when you see all the drama that began under this new regime, and how it flared up again at the end of the season with the “McScheffler” and the latest “McMarshall” episodes, what goes through your head? When you combine what happen with you and those guys, is it your observation that the locker room is split between Shanahan’s guys and McDaniels’ guys?

Peyton: That could be the case. I really couldn’t say to tell you the truth. I don’t know the story behind Brandon (Marshall) and Tony (Scheffler). What I do know is that this is a business. As far as the guys that are left over from the Shanahan era, you can only hope that we are all on the same playing field; so in the end, what can you do?

Josina: So what did you hear about your future in your exit interview?

Peyton: I was told they just need to take some more time and go over everything to determine how they feel about me. I was fine with that. There’s nothing I can do about that. Time will tell.

Josina: So do you want to be here in Denver Peyton? Could you be happy if you had the same playing time next season? Obviously, Moreno will still be here, and there is a good chance Buckhalter will remain as well with how things currently stand.

Peyton: I guess it would all depend on if things would change. I don’t really know what will happen at this point. I love being here. I love being a Bronco, and I love this city.

Josina: So is your happiness dependant upon your playing time?

Peyton: Most definitely. I went from doing really good things for this team to not doing anything, and I would like to be a good teammate and contribute. Clearly, the overall success of this team is very important to me, but also within that I would like things to change because right now it’s all speculation what coach thinks about me. But to say once again, most definitely I would like things to change.

G_Money
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Poor Peyton. Gets stuck behind Felix Jones and D-Mac at Arkansas, then every other back we have, finally gets a chance and does well before getting hurt, then loses his coach and gets demoted to water boy after another golden boy gets drafted in the first and the new coach refuses to use him. Hillis seems sold on the idea that Josh has His Guys and Other Guys, and that's not helping him.

I'd say there's no way he gets cut, but in actuality, it seems there's a good chance. Whatever happens, I hope somebody gives him a chance to play. :salute:

~G

dogfish
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Poor Peyton. Gets stuck behind Felix Jones and D-Mac at Arkansas, then every other back we have, finally gets a chance and does well before getting hurt, then loses his coach and gets demoted to water boy after another golden boy gets drafted in the first and the new coach refuses to use him. Hillis seems sold on the idea that Josh has His Guys and Other Guys, and that's not helping him.

I'd say there's no way he gets cut, but in actuality, it seems there's a good chance. Whatever happens, I hope somebody gives him a chance to play. :salute:

~G

i'd say he's gone, and it pisses me off-- freakin' waste of a good, hard-nosed runner and all-around versatile guy. . .

honestly though, i'd almost rather see us cut him than keep him around and absolutely refuse to use him other than on kick returns-- a job for which he's clearly not well suited. . . how we can want to impliment a power running scheme and yet have no use for our most powerful runner is beyond me, but i think the guy deserves a chance-- and since he's obviously not going to get it here, i hope somebody else gives it to him. . .

watch new england pick him up to replace sammy morris, and get five or six hundred punishing all-purpose yards per year out of him. . . :tsk:

Tned
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I hate to say it, but I think McDaniels will cut him if for no other reason he likely is sick of questions about why Hillis isn't getting carries being the most asked question at the press conferences and by fans.

SR
01-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Maybe McDaniels should listen to the fans instead of cut a player out of spite of them.

bcbronc
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
keep him until Shanny gets hired at the least....;)

Poet
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Hillis is a good football player and a good runner. He has good power, adequate vision and good hands.

He'd look good in Bengal stripes, that's for sure.

BroncoWave
01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Maybe McDaniels should listen to the fans instead of cut a player out of spite of them.

If McDaniels did what the fans said he should do he'd have probably resigned at some point before the season started. He should do what he feels is best for the team based on what he and his fellow coaches see on the field, not based off of what some pissed off fans think.

Given the level of our blocking this year, I highly doubt Hillis would have done any better than Moreno or Buck.

Chris90210
01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
keep him until Shanny gets hired at the least....;)
he is hired to my understanding

Lonestar
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I think he stays as his contract is VERY cap friendly and I know Josh had great things to say about him in the spring practices..

what is the old adage you can never have to many good RB's..

Shazam!
01-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the Redskins Mr. Hillis.

shank
01-07-2010, 01:36 AM
:stillprettypissed:

sneakers
01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Welcome to the Redskins Mr. Hillis.

yup, unfortunately.

(But is Hillis still under contract or a FA?)

ikillz0mbies
01-07-2010, 01:53 AM
I think Hillis is under contract for the next 2 years....not sure though.

honz
01-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Hillis is a fine football player. I would like him to have a role on this team, but if he is not in the plans I would get over it pretty quick. Peyton Hillis = Quinton Ganther = Jason Snelling = Solid Backups.

Dirk
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
With Porti$ health in question somewhat, I can see Shanny thinking about going after Hillis.

Hillis isn't the most powerful RB we have IMO. I think that is Bucky. He runs hard and hits hard.

I would love to see Hillis stay in Denver because he is a fav of mine because I like the underdog story, but I really don't see that happening.

claymore
01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I dont see him back. 4th string RB 2nd String FB and 3rd string KR, he does nothing well in our HC eyes. We need to make room for all the punters we have. :drinking:

In-com-plete
01-07-2010, 07:47 AM
How many 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2's did we not pick up trying to run the ball up the middle?

I honestly hope they cut him. So he can atleast play somewhere.

No way Lamont Jordan is better. No way.

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
How many 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2's did we not pick up trying to run the ball up the middle?

I honestly hope they cut him. So he can atleast play somewhere.

No way Lamont Jordan is better. No way.

Most of the time that had nothing to do with the RB. When the defense is consistantly making contact with the runner at or behind the line of scrimage, the problem is not the RB.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Add this to yet another player feeling there are Josh's guys and Shanny's guys. It sure sounds as though there is division in the locker room. Credit Hillis for taking the high road as he knows he can play in this league as do a number of players and fans alike. Hillis said Mcd said he will evaluate and make decisions then but wtf can he evaluate from the 2009 season? ALL reports from camp were impressive, play in the preseason solid then nothing. He returned a kick and fumbled once but Buck and Moreno pretty much made a habit of fumbling, what gives? The simple fact of Jordan being slotted ahead of Hillis makes it easy to question Mcd's motives and reasoning. At the end of the season press conference Mcd implied he could have made better use of his resuorces and will evlaute that for 2010. I'm hoping Hillis falls into that "oops" and Mcd stops with the "my guys" "Shanny's guys" segregation and thinks off ALL of his players as a team because he wants "team players" afterall right? That was his battle cry when he put "his guys" on the field against KC and got blown out at home.
I would LOVE to see Hillis return IF he is going to get playing time. If not I hope we trade him to somebody and give him a chance to play in this league. Hillis is going to make in this league I just hope it is with us.

BroncoWave
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Most of the time that had nothing to do with the RB. When the defense is consistantly making contact with the runner at or behind the line of scrimage, the problem is not the RB.

THANK YOU! It baffles me why some people fail to see this. Our run blocking was so bad in short yardage this year we could have had Jerome Bettis in his prime back there and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Hillis did get a couple of short yardage carries this year and he didn't do any better than Buck or Moreno.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
THANK YOU! It baffles me why some people fail to see this. Our run blocking was so bad in short yardage this year we could have had Jerome Bettis in his prime back there and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Hillis did get a couple of short yardage carries this year and he didn't do any better than Buck or Moreno.

This thread is about Hillis not the Oline, Buck or Moreno. Granted all three failed to convert short yardage situations, Hillis's opportunties were limited. This interview touches on limited role in the 2009 Denver Broncos offense and his possible future with the team.

nevcraw
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9740
Monday Transcripts: McDaniels
On RB Peyton Hillis' role in the offense this season
"When you assemble a team, I think you put together the roster and you assume that there's going to be some things that are going to take place during the course of the season where you're going to need to use a lot of people at a lot of spots. I don't think anybody here last year would have said, 'Would it be okay to have a couple of running backs?' Not after what happened here last year. I went through six in New England. They went through seven here in Denver. You sit there and you say, 'My God. If we had nine backs on the roster, that probably would be enough.' You don't know. We kept the players we felt best about. He certainly was one of them.

"Again, it's hard to give everybody a bunch of carries in a game. As a running back, you feel like you try to get somebody going into a little bit of a rhythm, and we did quite a few times this year. There were other times we didn't, but the answer isn't necessarily always to just yank the back out of the game and throw the next back in because that would be shallow on our part in terms of identifying what the problem is. Certainly, the backs can do better. Everybody can, but I don't think that the answer is just to jerk them out of the game and say 'Well, you know, it's all his fault.' It would be really shallow for me to do that and our team knows better. Our team knows that our success is as a group and our failures are usually as a group, also.

"(Hillis) is the same guy I described earlier. He's got a lot of different talents and abilities, and we're glad he's on our team. We'll look forward to moving forward and seeing how his role can maybe be different and more productive next year."

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Hillis would be a good opportunity for the young coach to show he's not too full of himself to learn and change.. Make it an open competition in camp, give this guy a place to showcase his talents.. even if that means admitting you were wrong..

If you haven't seen this transcript it's a good read..

broncofaninfla
01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Monday Transcripts: McDaniels
On RB Peyton Hillis' role in the offense this season
"When you assemble a team, I think you put together the roster and you assume that there's going to be some things that are going to take place during the course of the season where you're going to need to use a lot of people at a lot of spots. I don't think anybody here last year would have said, 'Would it be okay to have a couple of running backs?' Not after what happened here last year. I went through six in New England. They went through seven here in Denver. You sit there and you say, 'My God. If we had nine backs on the roster, that probably would be enough.' You don't know. We kept the players we felt best about. He certainly was one of them.

"Again, it's hard to give everybody a bunch of carries in a game. As a running back, you feel like you try to get somebody going into a little bit of a rhythm, and we did quite a few times this year. There were other times we didn't, but the answer isn't necessarily always to just yank the back out of the game and throw the next back in because that would be shallow on our part in terms of identifying what the problem is. Certainly, the backs can do better. Everybody can, but I don't think that the answer is just to jerk them out of the game and say 'Well, you know, it's all his fault.' It would be really shallow for me to do that and our team knows better. Our team knows that our success is as a group and our failures are usually as a group, also.

"(Hillis) is the same guy I described earlier. He's got a lot of different talents and abilities, and we're glad he's on our team. We'll look forward to moving forward and seeing how his role can maybe be different and more productive next year."

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Hillis would be a good opportunity for the young coach to show he's not too full of himself to learn and change.. Make it an open competition in camp, give this guy a place to showcase his talents.. even if that means admitting you were wrong..

If you haven't seen this transcript it's a good read..

This is one of the reasons I am somewhat optimistic for 2010, thanks for posting. :beer:

GEM
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, well, well.....some people should take a lesson from Mr. Hillis. He's definitely not a "company guy" and he's saying all the right things.

I feel bad for the guy and just want him to have a chance to succeed. I also am not specific to that being with the Broncos. I don't want him wasted on our depth chart when he could be successful elsewhere. This sucks. :(

claymore
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Well, well, well.....some people should take a lesson from Mr. Hillis. He's definitely not a "company guy" and he's saying all the right things.

I feel bad for the guy and just want him to have a chance to succeed. I also am not specific to that being with the Broncos. I don't want him wasted on our depth chart when he could be successful elsewhere. This sucks. :(

Please dont take offense or find this negative. But he is a 7th rd pick on the bubble. This may be his last year in the NFL.

He isnt going to rock the boat...

There is 3 sides to the story. Once Marshall is gone, I want to hear what him and Sheffler say. Then I want to see if current players dispute it.

G_Money
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM

If you have a line that can't make a hole and a back that can't get yards after contact, perhaps you should at least TRY the back that has 35 extra pounds of muscle on him and can carry a 350+ pounder on his back for a first down on 4th and 2 - after he gets hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Just a thought.

Or use one of your stupid blocking TEs at fullback, if you don't like your fullbacks there, to try to crack a bigger hole.

SOMETHING.

"It wasn't Moreno/Buckhalter's fault they weren't getting yardage, so I kept doing the exact same thing and hoping for different results" isn't brilliance.

It's Dan-Reeves level stubbornness.

"Sure Sammy Winder is getting 3.2 ypc and I've run this play 17 times today, but I'm sure the 18th will be the charm. Sammy on 3rd and 4 behind the right guard. Why are you cussing at me, Elway, you back-talking SOB? Get out there and run the play!"

:rolleyes:

~G

Lonestar
01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
As I have always said unless he is dumber than a rock or tried to bed Joshes wife. He will be kept through his rookie contract.

We can never have to many RBs and his contract is way to cheap to be allowed to leave. Unless they get really great value in a trade.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

claymore
01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
If you have a line that can't make a hole and a back that can't get yards after contact, perhaps you should at least TRY the back that has 35 extra pounds of muscle on him and can carry a 350+ pounder on his back for a first down on 4th and 2 - after he gets hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Just a thought.

Or use one of your stupid blocking TEs at fullback, if you don't like your fullbacks there, to try to crack a bigger hole.

SOMETHING.

"It wasn't Moreno/Buckhalter's fault they weren't getting yardage, so I kept doing the exact same thing and hoping for different results" isn't brilliance.

"Sure Sammy Winder is getting 3.2 ypc and I've run this play 17 times today, but I'm sure the 18th will be the charm. Sammy on 3rd and 4 behind the right guard. Why are you cussing at me, Elway, you back-talking SOB? Get out there and run the play!"

~G

Im more pissed about the playcalling on 3rd and long. Its 3rd and 8, so we throw a screen to Marshall that happens 3 yards behind the LOS, so he actually has to go 11 yards for a 1st. FML.

claymore
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
As I have always said unless he is dumber than a rock or tried to bed Joshes wife. He will be kept through his rookie contract.

We can never have to many RBs and his contract is way to cheap to be allowed to leave. Unless they get really great value in a trade.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Thats what I thought about Jack Williams.

**Edit, the Broncos had way more invested in Williams.

G_Money
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
The Broncos can always add another 7th rounder/UDFA to put in the rotation as the 4th-5th RB. They don't need Hillis for that. If he's never gonna see the field and doesn't fit what McDaniels wants to do, why would they keep him?

Peyton has 2 years left. The position with the most turnover is RB because there are a ton of them coming out of college every year and they have one of the "easiest" jobs on the field. Hillis came out as a pass-catcher and hard-nosed runner - he was not the best blocking FB. If we want one of those blocking backs, we can draft one or add one as an undrafted. If we want a runner/receiver we'll use a couple of games a year, there are any number of late-round and FA guys. Shanny surfed that wave every year. For a RB so low on the depth chart, why not?

Yeah, I can see us cutting Hillis as a "bad fit for our offense" and moving on.

~G

weazel
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

~G

It doesn't matter what team he would be on. No matter what team he would be on, there would be better backs in front of him. The fact of the matter is, he is not an NFL starting running back. He's a third down back, nothing more.

G_Money
01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
It doesn't matter what team he would be on. No matter what team he would be on, there would be better backs in front of him. The fact of the matter is, he is not an NFL starting running back. He's a third down back, nothing more.

Which is an absolutely fine thing for a minimum-wage player to be - but he wasn't that for us. We had 215 3rd downs this year. Hillis had 13 carries (not all on 3rd down). He had 4 attempts in September, and 9 in December. That's it. He had 4 receptions total.

He probably is a situational back and receiver in this league, not a 20+ carry starter. We also seem to suck at using situational players, as we only really used 2 backs this year (Moreno and Buckhalter) - nobody else had more than 25 carries.

10 people caught passes this year, and all of them had more receptions than Hillis.

We simply did not use him, at all, for anything. Not even blocking.

It's not a tragedy, but it is a waste of the talent we saw last year. Hillis has great hands, is hard to tackle, can wear down defenses and get tough, short yards, etc. He has things going for him that we could have used and chose not to.

Watching defensive players flinch when going to tackle him was a lot more fun than watching Moreno fall down at contact. And more productive.

It doesn't make sense to have a backup you will never use, no matter the down, distance, injury status of the OL, failure of the more prominent players and gameplans, etc.

If he cannot get off the bench, ever, then why have him? Trade him in for someone the coach will believe in, who CAN get on the field when Buckhalter gets injured again (he will) and Moreno can't crack a hole for himself with the sad effort of the interior OL.

Fixing that interior OL is an admirable Plan A.

But if Hillis once again won't be Plan B, C or D if Plan A fails, then get a more usable backup plan.

~G

weazel
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Which is an absolutely fine thing for a minimum-wage player to be - but he wasn't that for us. We had 215 3rd downs this year. Hillis had 13 carries (not all on 3rd down). He had 4 attempts in September, and 9 in December. That's it. He had 4 receptions total.

He probably is a situational back and receiver in this league, not a 20+ carry starter. We also seem to suck at using situational players, as we only really used 2 backs this year (Moreno and Buckhalter) - nobody else had more than 25 carries.

10 people caught passes this year, and all of them had more receptions than Hillis.

We simply did not use him, at all, for anything. Not even blocking.

It's not a tragedy, but it is a waste of the talent we saw last year. Hillis has great hands, is hard to tackle, can wear down defenses and get tough, short yards, etc. He has things going for him that we could have used and chose not to.

Watching defensive players flinch when going to tackle him was a lot more fun than watching Moreno fall down at contact. And more productive.

It doesn't make sense to have a backup you will never use, no matter the down, distance, injury status of the OL, failure of the more prominent players and gameplans, etc.

If he cannot get off the bench, ever, then why have him? Trade him in for someone the coach will believe in, who CAN get on the field when Buckhalter gets injured again (he will) and Moreno can't crack a hole for himself with the sad effort of the interior OL.

Fixing that interior OL is an admirable Plan A.

But if Hillis once again won't be Plan B, C or D if Plan A fails, then get a more usable backup plan.

~G

I agree that he maybe should have been used more for catching out of the backfield, as that is what he is good at. I'm not trying to defend McD, I think the guy is a total douchebag, but I just don't see Hillis as that great of a player.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
This is one of the reasons I am somewhat optimistic for 2010, thanks for posting. :beer:

that is one of the reasons im pessimistic about 2010...our coach said the same thing about royal

it doesnt take a genious to read between the lines of what hillis says....he believes mcd gives more time to players he brought in....even if the shanny guys have showed more promise

i think hillis if used right could have been one of the star players and draft successes from his class....going into the season, knowing the mainly dink and dunk pats offense we would be running..i thought that would be a pefect fit for hillis, running the ball in a 2 back set, passing the ball in a 2 back set...and slipping out and probably covered by a DE in the flat....i was gung ho

then to see him...just sit there...week after week...game after game and watch jordon come in in certain situations.

i guess what im saying...besides stateing im not attempting to hijack this thread

is...hearing our coach stress after a dismall failure of a season...______ player is a good player and were gonna see how we can use them more...shouldnt have taken 17 weeks to figure out..specially ones thats showed so much promise as hillis and royal......makes me think...is our coach extremely pigheaded to the point he will hurt a team in order to play his guys...or is he just a tad slow?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I see Hillis being much more than that. I saw a guy that could do it all. No reason to believe for amoment that he is worse than Brandon Jacobs... but with better hands. But then, it took a couple years for the Giants to start using Jacobs as well.

I hope he goes to Washington. At least in Washington, they welcome a Big, Brusing, white guy as the RB. :cheers:

claymore
01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I said durring training camp we should trade hillis for two #7's. Everyone laughed at me. NOW we would kill to get two 7's for him!!!!

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

and you know this by what?...you vast expirience in working with nfl rbs for over twenty years.....or is it just your unfounded opinion

cause before he tore a hammy catching a high ball....as a starting back i see a 5.0 YPC average...thats good

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I said durring training camp we should trade hillis for two #7's. Everyone laughed at me. NOW we would kill to get two 7's for him!!!!

Then again, if he was used like he was in 2008, we could probably get more. But who woulda thunk it?

I bet Shanahan would give up a 7th for him, gladly

weazel
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
and you know this by what?...you vast expirience in working with nfl rbs for over twenty years.....or is it just your unfounded opinion

cause before he tore a hammy catching a high ball....as a starting back i see a 5.0 YPC average...thats good

you still here pissing people off arapaho?

Because
1. he wasn't good enough in college to be a starter.
2. He wasn't good enough to be a backup this season. He was given a chance to gain 1 or 2 yards a few times, he couldn't do it, and actually fumbled as well.

He was put in on 3rd down two games ago, dive left was called and he failed. Moreno came in and ran the same exact play for 3 yards. It's not rocket science, smart ass.

He obviously isn't starting RB material when in every place he has been he has been a backup. Are you smarter than his college and NFL coaches, is it from "you vast expirience in working with nfl rbs for over twenty years". BTW, use spell check.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah.. TD didn't start in front of Garrison Hearst, and Hillis didn't start in frong of McFadden and Felix Jones. Thats really putting the guy down :coffee:

weazel
01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah.. TD didn't start in front of Garrison Hearst, and Hillis didn't start in frong of McFadden and Felix Jones. Thats really putting the guy down :coffee:

If he was the star you guys make him out to be, he would have had other schools after him. He could have transferred if he wanted to.

BTW, Jones and McFadden don't look all that impressive.

Even taking college out of the equation, he never did enough when given the chance this season. He made himself look good by making some runs on a team that had already quit with 4 minutes left in a 4th quarter. The same game in which we already had two other RB's run all over the team.

weazel
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM

so now you're comparing Hillis to TD...
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Lonestar
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Hillis is the perfect Kevin Faulk who has been the 3rd and short/goal line guy and pass catcher for almost a decade now..

I'm totally surprised he was not used in that matter here..

Tned
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Just a thought.

SOMETHING.

~G

How does that quote go? Something like: "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
If he was the star you guys make him out to be, he would have had other schools after him. He could have transferred if he wanted to.

BTW, Jones and McFadden don't look all that impressive.

Even taking college out of the equation, he never did enough when given the chance this season. He made himself look good by making some runs on a team that had already quit with 4 minutes left in a 4th quarter. The same game in which we already had two other RB's run all over the team.

You aren't making your point, at all.

There are a TON of Arkansas fans that would tell you now, that Hillis was the best player on that team... period. McFaden was rated as the best back in the NFL .. and Felix Jones is looking VERY GOOD right now in the NFL. Perhaps the problem is, you don't really watch much football outside the Denver games? Why is it that TD didn't transfer or have a ton of schools after him? WHy is it he wasn't drafted until the 6th round again?? Thats just one RB, or one player, used as an example. You make no points here with that statement.

Hillis was known as a stud and a BEAST for that Arkansas team. He was the fan favorite because of his abilities and the way he played. Saying he didn't "do enough" shows just how little about the player you are talking about.

In regards to this season. He didn't get the chance to take advantage of anything. Getting a play here.. and a play there... doesn't showcase much.

You can feel how you want but I'm going to feel you are wrong on this, regardless. McD didn't use him and wanted to use HIS guys..as we've all seen all season long. Not surprising, not shocking, and not new to the NFL.

But that in NO WAY shows me that Hillis wsn't good enough to be on that field.... not in the very least.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Because
2. He wasn't good enough to be a backup this season. He was given a chance to gain 1 or 2 yards a few times, he couldn't do it, and actually fumbled as well.

He was put in on 3rd down two games ago, dive left was called and he failed. Moreno came in and ran the same exact play for 3 yards. It's not rocket science, smart ass.

He obviously isn't starting RB material when in every place he has been he has been a backup. Are you smarter than his college and NFL coaches, is it from "you vast expirience in working with nfl rbs for over twenty years". BTW, use spell check.

so getting checked..pisses you off does it?

he was a starter in college...he was the starting full back...
but as a sr fb blocking for a heisman winner and felix jones
he had 62 rushes...348 yrds...5.6 ave..2 tds,
49 rec...539yrds..11ypc..5td

and it was a run as a fb under kuper ...who is rg...not LEFT..so it wasnt a dive left
and there was a wall there...moreno got the 1st on a off RT outside..with a FB leading
your obviously never gonna be confused for a scientist if you cant figure out theres a differance

its commonly known among message boards...when you pull out spelling smack...your already whipped

claymore
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
so getting checked..pisses you off does it?

he was a starter in college...he was the starting full back...
but as a sr fb blocking for a heisman winner and felix jones
he had 62 rushes...348 yrds...5.6 ave..2 tds,
49 rec...539yrds..11ypc..5td

and it was a run as a fb under kuper ...who is rg...not LEFT..so it wasnt a dive left
and there was a wall there...moreno got the 1st on a off RT outside..with a FB leading
your obviously never gonna be confused for a scientist if you cant figure out theres a differance

its commonly known among message boards...when you pull out spelling smack...your already whippedSpelling is for women. Men build fence and mis spell shit.

Poet
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Please dont take offense or find this negative. But he is a 7th rd pick on the bubble. This may be his last year in the NFL.

He isnt going to rock the boat...

There is 3 sides to the story. Once Marshall is gone, I want to hear what him and Sheffler say. Then I want to see if current players dispute it.

This won't be his last year in the NFL. He showed that he can run the ball with power and catch the ball. He can play FB and RB. Is he Jim Brown? No. But he's not Rasham Salaam either.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
so now you're comparing Hillis to TD...
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

No... you don't seem to know the difference between a comparison, and the use of an example.

The point is simple. I'll try to type slow. Terrell Davis didn't get to play in college because he was behind great players. Did that mean, because he didn't transfer, wasn't picked up by other colleges, or wasn't drfted high, that he wasn't a good/great player? Because, those seem to be the catagories you are using against Hillis.

Using the ridiculous facts (or supposed facts, you don't really know) that Hillis didn't transfer, or sat behind both McFadden and Jones, proves he wasn't a good player. Just doesn't hold water.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
No... you don't seem to know the difference between a comparison, and the use of an example.

The point is simple. I'll try to type slow. Terrell Davis didn't get to play in college because he was behind great players. Did that mean, because he didn't transfer, wasn't picked up by other colleges, or wasn't drfted high, that he wasn't a good/great player? Because, those seem to be the catagories you are using against Hillis.

Using the ridiculous facts (or supposed facts, you don't really know) that Hillis didn't transfer, or sat behind both McFadden and Jones, proves he wasn't a good player. Just doesn't hold water.

but he used dancing elephants so he must be right:coffee:

claymore
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
This won't be his last year in the NFL. He showed that he can run the ball with power and catch the ball. He can play FB and RB. Is he Jim Brown? No. But he's not Rasham Salaam either.

Maybe. There are a ton of 3rd and 4th string guys out there. All of them just as hungry. If he was good at FB, JMCD wouldnt have put a backup LB ahead of him on the depth chart.

There are no gurentees. Especially for a 7th rd huy that gets cut. (if that were to happen).

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Spelling is for women. Men build fence and mis spell shit.

and break shit.........:musicus:

Poet
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe. There are a ton of 3rd and 4th string guys out there. All of them just as hungry. If he was good at FB, JMCD wouldnt have put a backup LB ahead of him on the depth chart.

There are no gurentees. Especially for a 7th rd huy that gets cut. (if that were to happen).

No, Claymore, there's really not. I can go through the list of number three guys on teams, and most of them I wouldn't take over Hillis, because most of them aren't as versatile as Hillis.

Claymore, why is it that everything McD does sux except this?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
No, Claymore, there's really not. I can go through the list of number three guys on teams, and most of them I wouldn't take over Hillis, because most of them aren't as versatile as Hillis.

OH oh.. Me ME.. MEEEEE .. I know the answer to this.. pick meeeeee!!

Poet
01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
OH oh.. Me ME.. MEEEEE .. I know the answer to this.. pick meeeeee!!

Ravage, would you like to answer my question? :lol:

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Why would you take hillis over those guys? Tatum bell had more carries for mare yards last year and he isnt working. Why not take him?

And why do people care so much about a guy thats sniffing 3-4th string on every position he plays?

Gimpygod
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Hillis is a fine football player. I would like him to have a role on this team, but if he is not in the plans I would get over it pretty quick. Peyton Hillis = Quinton Ganther = Jason Snelling = Solid Backups.

and Jordan = none of those yet is above Hillis :shocked:

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Ravage, would you like to answer my question? :lol:

Yes... thank you.

*stepping up on the chair so that everyone may admire me as I speak*

Although I love clay as a poster...

We all know that clay is a BIG TIME Knowshon fan/ backer. Thus, when the running game was going knowwhere... uhmm.. nowhere, most of the knowshon fans took the defensive stance against those screaming for Hillis! It was bothersome to see people bang on KNowshon, thus the defensive wall was built, and trenches were dug. In addition to the defensive parallel, the KM crowd set off its anti-Hillis campaign to slam Hillis..dumping flyers from big planes, otherwise known as the "RB counter-attack" (we saw ths tactic used many times prior.. namely the Plummer/Cutler battle, and the following Cutler/Orton War of 2008)

Now that its obvious that the coach isn't going to use Hillis and is going to stick with his first round pick... the KM crowd can ease off their "aggressive" attack tactics, and fall back into more of a "he's not that good and will probably not be in the league because he's a 7th round pick" formation. Knowing that the shells of the Hillis army are empty, because general McD had already decommissioned the soldier!

Thus.. McD is RIGHT on this one (from clay's perspective) ! :salute:

Poet
01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Why would you take hillis over those guys? Tatum bell had more carries for mare yards last year and he isnt working. Why not take him?

And why do people care so much about a guy thats sniffing 3-4th string on every position he plays?

Because it was very obvious that Bell was a product of the system. Bell was pure speed that was a poor man's version of Willie Parker. It was clear that any back with speed could probably do what he did.

Hillis knocked people over and is talented at catching balls out of the backfield. Neither of those things are products of the system.

Gimpygod
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM

the problem is an atrocious play scheme which forces opposing defenses up to the line of scrimmage. Another problem is changing the blocking scheme that works famously for the last 15 years and finally a major problem is having a quarterback with the escape ability of a beached manatee. So let's recap: always eight or nine defensive guys at the line of scrimmage(yet somehow safeties always played deep;):rolleyes: , vast majority of passes being called encourage the defense to stay in position to defend the run and a quarterback who topples over easier than a guy with one leg and an inner ear infection during an 8.5 earthquake. Seriously, Orton got tackled by guys who didn't even touch him... watch the footage.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM

come on, josh, that's horseshit! no one ever suggested you should bench one of those guys for hillis. . . it's called taking advantage of the different skill sets in your stable of backs-- something they do QUITE well in new england, so it should'nt be alien or anathema to you. . .

no. . . G was right, he's a situational or complementary back, which isn't the same thing. . . you can say that it's still not a fulltime starter, but a backup is a guy that only comes in when somebody else is hurt or needs a breather-- hillis has more to offer than that, which should be easy to see for anyone who watched him play last year. . . the guy has an excellent combo of size with solid running skills and very good hands that you don't see all that often. . . he would make a very good, bruising change of pace to a speed guy like chris johnson or jamaal charles, and he can be a weapon catching balls out of the backfield. . . he could easily get 100-150 touches a season in the right offense and excell in that role-- he's not just some 20-30 touches a year third down back, although he is well suited for that role as well. . .

matt cassell hadn't played a freakin' snap since high school, but that didn't stop him from having a damn fine season last year-- good enough for a highly respected talent evaluator who saw him play first hand every week to give him sixty million dollars. . . :lol:

Gamechanger
01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
any team would kill to have Hillis' versatility

if he walks, that's your loss Denver

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
any team would kill to have Hillis' versatility

if he walks, that's your loss Denver

If that was the truth dont you think JMCD would find a way to use him?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
matt cassell hadn't played a freakin' snap since high school, but that didn't stop him from having a damn fine season last year-- good enough for a highly respected talent evaluator who saw him play first hand every week to give him sixty million dollars. . . :lol:

Exactly, and he didn't get a chance to play UNTIL the player ahead of him (another 6th round choice) was hurt, thus allowing him into the lineup!!

Kurt Warner, continued to fight for positions just to stay on the team. Vermeil even let him un-protected so that the expansion teams could pick him off their team for free if they wanted (neither the Panthers or Jaguars did).. and didn't get a chance to start until Trent Green tore his achillies.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Exactly, and he didn't get a chance to play UNTIL the player ahead of him (another 6th round choice) was hurt, thus allowing him into the lineup!!

Kurt Warner, continued to fight for positions just to stay on the team. Vermeil even let him un-protected so that the expansion teams could pick him off their team for free if they wanted (neither the Panthers or Jaguars did).. and didn't get a chance to start until Trent Green tore his achillies.

this guy was a late round pick/UDFA for a reason-- people need to understand that he's just not that good

if he was any good, he'd have earned some playing time

he couldn't win a spot here, so he's probably not good enough to play anywhere

this guy will never be anything more than an afterthought in the NFL

i'm sure people said the same things about james harrison back when he was getting cut from the steelers and ravens practice squads, if he was even on the radar enough to be talked about at all. . .

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Because it was very obvious that Bell was a product of the system. Bell was pure speed that was a poor man's version of Willie Parker. It was clear that any back with speed could probably do what he did.

Hillis knocked people over and is talented at catching balls out of the backfield. Neither of those things are products of the system.

Oh when Bell did it, it was the system. How about when Selvin young did it too? And who is he playing for?

dogfish
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

no. . . JMFMCD is blind, stubborn and stupid, and he hates shanny's guys-- remember?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:27 PM

yeah.. ... you would think he would.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh when Bell did it, it was the system. How about when Selvin young did it too? And who is he playing for?

Selvin Young was a systems back, as well.

claymore
i'm sure people said the same things about james harrison back when he was getting cut from the steelers and ravens practice squads, if he was even on the radar enough to be talked about at all. . .

So you guys think that Hillis is the once in a lifetime underevaluated guy like R Smith, TD, Sharpe, W Parker, Harrison etc?

Ravage!!!
Wait wait... I have to use this line.. 'cause its so cool.

"clay, your knowshon is showing"

dogfish
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
So you guys think that Hillis is the once in a lifetime underevaluated guy like R Smith, TD, Sharpe, W Parker, Harrison etc?

nope-- i think he's a solid player, good enough to play and contribute in this league-- i think he showed that in '08, and will show it again somewhere next year. . . .

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM

No. Saying that people stated the same thing about THOSE players, and they turned out to be GREAT! What if Hillis only turned out to be really good? You can't make judgements on a player based purely on the "he was a 6th/7th round pick, this coach didn't use him, he didn't win the battle in college" Junk.

We've all seen him play and know that he is MUCH MUCH better than this 4th round RB crap that is spewing. Hell, we have posters that are fans of other teams that see and are saying this!

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
no. . . JMFMCD is blind, stubborn and stupid, and he hates shanny's guys-- remember?
I think tere is some truth to that. But I dont see how hillis is the only guys he hates or misutilizes on the team. Nor do I see how he has so much talent that alot of the posters here only care about him, but brush all the other shit to the side.

Selvin Young was a systems back, as well.

I think Bobby turner could teach a young hillis how to run thru holes. I dont think the holes went away when Hillis was taking snaps.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I think tere is some truth to that. But I dont see how hillis is the only guys he hates or misutilizes on the team. Nor do I see how he has so much talent that alot of the posters here only care about him, but brush all the other shit to the side.

I think Bobby turner could teach a young hillis how to run thru holes. I dont think the holes went away when Hillis was taking snaps.

How many snaps??

Again.. we've seen over and over again how other players int eh league were taken late in the rounds of the draft, sat behind playrs in the NFL, were told they coudln't be ANY good because the coach didn't use them. Were said to be 4th in the line-up because the coach WOULD have used them if they were better..... blah blah blah. But just because McD didn't use him doesn't prove squat. Just because he sat behind McFadden and Jones in college, doesn't prove squat. The fact is, this kid showed as a rookie that he was a PLAYER when he was on the field. Catching and running hard. Making acrobatic catches and jumping oVER standing guys .. while on the field.... all this at 250 lbs...and NOT slow. Why McD doesn't use him, is still astonishing. I think we have to be honest and say that he wanted to be sure KM justified the draft pick. Thats about as good of a guess as saying "Hillis isn't any good" after watching him BE good the prior year.

G_Money
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
What dog said.

Hillis can help our team. I don't think he's the next Jim Brown or anything, but he has a skillset both as a runner and a receiver that is welcome in many packages. We have a 250 pound bruiser who runs a 4.5 and has hands like soft pillows, eats up cornerbacks like appetizers and with a head of steam behind him can knock out LBs, and with the short passing game and screen pass system McDaniels uses we NEVER let Hillis try to run over a CB in the open field?

There's a disconnect there. And if he doesn't help our team, he'll be around to help someone's.

~G

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
How many snaps??

Again.. we've seen over and over again how other players int eh league were taken late in the rounds of the draft, sat behind playrs in the NFL, were told they coudln't be ANY good because the coach didn't use them. Were said to be 4th in the line-up because the coach WOULD have used them if they were better..... blah blah blah. But just because McD didn't use him doesn't prove squat. Just because he sat behind McFadden and Jones in college, doesn't prove squat. The fact is, this kid showed as a rookie that he was a PLAYER when he was on the field. Catching and running hard. Making acrobatic catches and jumping oVER standing guys .. while on the field.... all this at 250 lbs...and NOT slow. Why McD doesn't use him, is still astonishing. I think we have to be honest and say that he wanted to be sure KM justified the draft pick. Thats about as good of a guess as saying "Hillis isn't any good" after watching him BE good the prior year.Hillis was a system guy.

GEM
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
nope-- i think he's a solid player, good enough to play and contribute in this league-- i think he showed that in '08, and will show it again somewhere next year. . . .

And this is where the breakdown happens. NOBODY is saying he's the next coming of anyone. Based on the year he was utilized he was shown to be an asset in the short running game. Just because Josh McDaniels doesn't see it doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. I think we've had 2 or 3 rival fans who have said if we drop him they would love to have him on their team. If a couple of posters see it, you are damn sure some other scouting team can see it.

claymore
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
The raiders will pick him up when we cut him.

KCL
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
To be honest I don't know much about him but from reading through this thread...he would be a worthy pickup for the Chiefs...he could share carries with Charles perhaps...something in the back of my mind tells me that Charles is going to get injured..god I hope not...thought he may have gotten injured when he was slammed down in the game last week but he came back in...of course we do have our FB Mike Cox who gets some carries as well...not even sure KC would be interested but who knows what will happen in the off season.

Tony Richardson was one of the best blocking FB IMO and Herm got rid of him when he took over coaching...I hated to see him go..went to the Vikes and I don't even know if he is playing anymore.Last I heard he was with the Jets but I never hear his name mentioned anymore.He was a good blocker for Priest Holmes.

claymore
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
To be honest I don't know much about him but from reading through this thread...he would be a worthy pickup for the Chiefs...he could share carries with Charles perhaps...something in the back of my mind tells me that Charles is going to get injured..god I hope not...thought he may have gotten injured when he was slammed down in the game last week but he came back in...of course we do have our FB Mike Cox who gets some carries as well...not even sure KC would be interested but who knows what will happen in the off season.

Tony Richardson was one of the best blocking FB IMO and Herm got rid of him when he took over coaching...I hated to see him go..went to the Vikes and I don't even know if he is playing anymore.Last I heard he was with the Jets but I never hear his name mentioned anymore.He was a good blocker for Priest Holmes.

I guess Hillis cant block. I havent seen that but supposedly he cant.

Buff
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd be shocked if we cut Hillis. I'm sure Shanahan would give up another 7th rounder to acquire him again in a heartbeat.

Northman
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Spelling might be for women but some of you guys are just absolutely butchering the english language. Wow. lol

shank
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd be shocked if we cut Hillis. I'm sure Shanahan would give up another 7th rounder to acquire him again in a heartbeat.

but to do that, it would be like McD admitting that peyton hillis has value.

claymore
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I hope Hillis knows how to sell Cell Phones.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Hillis was a system guy.

Yeah.... people say the same thing about TD as well. Sad some can't see past that.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I hope Hillis knows how to sell Cell Phones.

hillis only knows how to do two things, kick ass and drink beer. . .

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

and he hates beer. :beer:

KCL
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

does he know how to spell? :lol:

dogfish
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM

no. . .

claymore
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah.... people say the same thing about TD as well. Sad some can't see past that.
I like Hillis, I just like giving all the Pro JMCD/Stunned Hillis fans shit.

One thing I cant wrap my mind around is why Hillis makes everyone more upset than any of the other gaffes?

:mad:

KCL
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
:mad:

:kiss:

:hug:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM

SoCalImport
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd love to see Hillis stay a Bronco and return to something like the player we were all so excited about in 08.
BUT. In his limited touches I haven't seen that player at all. Probably a combination of the rust due to inactivity, the first season back from a pretty badly torn achilles (I think), and the probable lessend confidence due to items 1 and 2.

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/mcdaniels-cutler-jersey.jpg

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I love Hillis... I just dont see it being a very strong chance of him being here next season. I honestly hope he's not,because I LIKE him. I want him to go somewhere, that the coach will actually put him on the field and let him do what he does best... run, catch, and plow over people. He won't get that here, and it would be just another year of us saying the same things, and watching yet another year of Hillis not getting to play. A 7th round player, with 2 years wasted on the bench.. could be a problem.

I want him to go somewhere that he can be used. If Chicago hires Bates...If Houston is looking for another RB.. if Shanahan has the chance...these are the places taht are at the top of the list...because they are familiar with him (Houston because they know he is familiar with the system, not because Kubs has coached him).

Tons of teams would love to have the use of this kind of versatility and talent. I just find it a shame its not with my favorite team.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I guess Hillis cant block. I havent seen that but supposedly he cant.

Hillis was rated the No. 1 fullback in the nation by Phil Steele's (http://www.broncosforums.com/wiki/Phil_Steele%27s) College Football, he was also recognized as the best blocking back in the Southeastern Conference by The Birmingham News (http://www.broncosforums.com/wiki/The_Birmingham_News).

i think the dude can block

KCL
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Hillis was rated the No. 1 fullback in the nation by Phil Steele's (http://www.broncosforums.com/wiki/Phil_Steele%27s) College Football, he was also recognized as the best blocking back in the Southeastern Conference by The Birmingham News (http://www.broncosforums.com/wiki/The_Birmingham_News).

I think you took clay's post wrong...:lol:

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 03:47 PM

cause tater had hands of stone...tater couldnt line up like the way the bolts used to use lo-neal or the way they use hester or tolbert now as a blocking back...which puts a de or OLb on him as he slips into the flat

tater could lead block....theres a differance here..your compareing strictly rushing...thats all tater could do..hillis is more versatile

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I think you took clay's post wrong...:lol:

oh well...any way he can block...mcd doesnt let him and preferrs to use a TE or linebacker over someone that got drafted to do it

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM

JMCD doesnt. Thats the issue. JMCD thinks he is the 4th best RB, 2nd best FB, and 3rd best KR.

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
cause tater had hands of stone...tater couldnt line up like the way the bolts used to use lo-neal or the way they use hester or tolbert now as a blocking back...which puts a de or OLb on him as he slips into the flat

tater could lead block....theres a differance here..your compareing strictly rushing...thats all tater could do..hillis is more versatile

Talk to JMCD. He doesnt think that about hillis. We do.

Northman
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Hillis makes a pretty fine water boy. I dont see the big deal here.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

sounds an awful lot like what he said about hillis before the start of this season-- i sincerely hope he means it this time, because i would LOVE to see that nasty 250 pounder hammering defenses in the second halves of games next year. . . hopefully behind a couple of mean, ugly smelly young interior linemen. . .

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
sounds an awful lot like what he said about hillis before the start of this season-- i sincerely hope he means it this time, because i would LOVE to see that nasty 250 pounder hammering defenses in the second halves of games next year. . . hopefully behind a couple of mean, ugly smelly young interior linemen. . .

Your post reads like a gay romance novel. Im not gonna lie, it gotta kind of hot in here for a second. :drinking:

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
JMCD doesnt. Thats the issue. JMCD thinks he is the 4th best RB, 2nd best FB, and 3rd best KR.

clay i know this maaaaaannn!!! im not saying he isnt good because he didnt start...he will be a weapon ...and i believe a star or at least one of the best most versatile fbs in the league for a coach whos smart enought to see it...sadly mcd isnt that guy

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
clay i know this maaaaaannn!!! im not saying he isnt good because he didnt start...he will be a weapon ...and i believe a star or at least one of the best most versatile fbs in the league for a coach whos smart enought to see it...sadly mcd isnt that guy

The only thing I am confused on is that people are so upset about this, and not the other shit JMCD does. maybe this is their outlet which everyone can agree.

NameUsedBefore
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
McDaniels is a dumbass for never using Hillis in short yardage situations, much less in the passing game.

Seriously, is there an argument against it? Because I sure would like to meet a person not named Josh McDaniels who thought using Moreno for no gain over and over on crucial downs was a better idea.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
The only thing I am confused on is that people are so upset about this, and not the other shit JMCD does. maybe this is their outlet which everyone can agree.

Im surprised that people from this board havent Lynched McDaniels yet. This is serious business G!!!!!!

KCL
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Your post reads like a gay romance novel. Im not gonna lie, it gotta kind of hot in here for a second. :drinking:

KCL
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Im surprised that people from this board havent Lynched McDaniels yet. This is serious business G!!!!!!

You mean they haven't...I need to go reread some threads...:listen:

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
McDaniels is a dumbass for never using Hillis in short yardage situations, much less in the passing game.

Seriously, is there an argument against it? Because I sure would like to meet a person not named Josh McDaniels who thought using Moreno for no gain over and over on crucial downs was a better idea.

I blame playcalling not the RB.

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:02 PM

If he makes similar mistakes in year 2 it will get nasty!

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM

not me im upset with every thing he does...from cutting a cheap long time bronco LS who never missed a snap.....so he can sign the pats LS and make him the highest paid LS in the game

to the cutler fiasco

to the putrid offense

to sitting more talented players for his personal picks or pats players

to the putrid offense

to being fnn predictable

to not using royal, hillis and scheffler as he should have

to thowing his line under the bus

to the 2-8 in the last 10 games

for his childish attempts at being a belichk clone....instead of being josh mcdanials football coach

to marshall

i got alot to be upset about

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
You mean they haven't...I need to go reread some threads...:listen:

Oh no, thats just the huffing and puffing. Im waiting for the torches and pitchforks pictures to be released from Dove Valley yet. :lol:

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:05 PM
If he makes similar mistakes in year 2 it will get nasty!

Hell brother, the guy couldnt catch a break at the beginning of this season. We been removed from the final game for what, a week? And we already have the hatred continueing. Its going to be a long offseason i can tell you that. Good thing ill be paying attention to my music because this board will get downright pathetic as time goes on. :lol:

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:05 PM
not me im upset with every thing he does...from cutting a cheap long time bronco LS who never missed a snap.....so he can sign the pats LS and make him the highest paid LS in the game

to the cutler fiasco

to the putrid offense

to sitting more talented players for his personal picks or pats players

to the putrid offense

to being fnn predictable

to not using royal, hillis and scheffler as he should have

to thowing his line under the bus

to the 2-8 in the last 10 games

for his childish attempts at being a belichk clone....instead of being josh mcdanials football coach

to marshall

i got alot to be upset about
Lots of stuff left out but hell yeah! If I get enough coffee in me Im going to do a fancy timeline of the crazyness so I can point back to silly stuff.

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Hell brother, the guy couldnt catch a break at the beginning of this season. We been removed from the final game for what, a week? And we already have the hatred continueing. Its going to be a long offseason i can tell you that. Good thing ill be paying attention to my music because this board will get downright pathetic as time goes on. :lol:

Well, Im pretty much over everything. I think the final blow will be when I see who was picked with our #14. Then It will all be over.

But this is the first offseason i havent been bummed.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, Im pretty much over everything. I think the final blow will be when I see who was picked with our #14. Then It will all be over.

But this is the first offseason i havent been bummed.

I believe we have the #11 unless its changed since. Never the less, i do hope this draft goes much better than the last. Not that Moreno and Ayers are bad but i think we could of done a lot better. Giving up those draft picks to move up really didnt sit well with me.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I blame playcalling not the RB.

play calling had a thing to do with it

but so did not calling the guy who has almost identical numbers as moreno..but has 30 pounds of muscle more

............40 yd.........10yrd split.......vert.......BJ...
PH........4.58.............1.59..............35... ...9.09
Km........4.55.............1.53..............35... ...9.09

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe we have the #11 unless its changed since. Never the less, i do hope this draft goes much better than the last. Not that Moreno and Ayers are bad but i think we could of done a lot better. Giving up those draft picks to move up really didnt sit well with me.

I mean the pick we gave to Seattle. Once I see who they select I can let go.

I liked our draft On paper at the time. I really tried to be positive about the Smit and Quinn trades, but.... geez....

Anyway, Hopefully Ayers has a better year. I am still high on Moreno.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Lots of stuff left out but hell yeah! If I get enough coffee in me Im going to do a fancy timeline of the crazyness so I can point back to silly stuff.

thats just the stuff i thought of in a few seconds

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
play calling had a thing to do with it

but so did not calling the guy who has almost identical numbers as moreno..but has 30 pounds of muscle more

............40 yd.........10yrd split.......vert.......BJ...
PH........4.58.............1.59..............35... ...9.09
Km........4.55.............1.53..............35... ...9.09

My point is I dont think a bulldozer would have made it the extra yard. We knew we couldnt push it in, why not use a screen then!!!!!! on 3rd and 1 vs 3rd and 8!

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
My point is I dont think a bulldozer would have made it the extra yard. We knew we couldnt push it in, why not use a screen then!!!!!! on 3rd and 1 vs 3rd and 8!

I agree. The scheme that McD used this year clearly didnt benefit the team in the long run. Despite how much more weight Hillis has doesnt mean he is going to succeed where the others failed. The problem was the line couldnt even create the holes for them to begin with. McDaniels is going to have to look at possibly going back to the ZBS if he wants to have success with this line which works well for them and the backs. If not, he will have to add and rebuild the line to fit his needs. But, he said he would evaluate that issue and go from there.

arapaho2
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM

True but last year our 3rd and short was terrible also until hillis came on... im not saying playselection isnt critical...but sometimes that heavier load will get her done

but your correct on play calling sometimes in the failed 1st an goals..id be screaming ..they know its comeing up the gut..fake it..bootleg,

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree. The scheme that McD used this year clearly didnt benefit the team in the long run. Despite how much more weight Hillis has doesnt mean he is going to succeed where the others failed. The problem was the line couldnt even create the holes for them to begin with. McDaniels is going to have to look at possibly going back to the ZBS if he wants to have success with this line which works well for them and the backs. If not, he will have to add and rebuild the line to fit his needs. But, he said he would evaluate that issue and go from there.

Hell yeah. Its a precarious situation though. If you continue with this scheme, you need to get rid of dennison and Turner IMO. You will also need new lineman, and are limited in the draft because "you need new lineman".

If He goes back to the ZBS(which he wont), I think he needs a new QB, someone more like Cutler, or Plummer (puke), who can run and throw. And he can concentrate more on defense, possibly even re-sign marshall. Doing this is the most cost effective because you only have to replace the QB, and not the coaches, and lineman.

But Shanahan could have done that too. So we will continue to see the patriots offense that I hate. (GOsh dang, Ive always hated this NE offense)!!!!!!

Just a thought, but

KCL
01-07-2010, 04:27 PM

rap2 meet clay.....:coffee:

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
True but last year our 3rd and short was terrible also until hillis came on... im not saying playselection isnt critical...but sometimes that heavier load will get her done

but your correct on play calling sometimes in the failed 1st an goals..id be screaming ..they know its comeing up the gut..fake it..bootleg,

Other than the KC game hillis went 6-7 1 TD 1 Fumble. Ive never been more certain that we wouldnt convert a first down before this year.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Hell yeah. Its a precarious situation though. If you continue with this scheme, you need to get rid of dennison and Turner IMO. You will also need new lineman, and are limited in the draft because "you need new lineman".

If He goes back to the ZBS(which he wont), I think he needs a new QB, someone more like Cutler, or Plummer (puke), who can run and throw. And he can concentrate more on defense, possibly even re-sign marshall. Doing this is the most cost effective because you only have to replace the QB, and not the coaches, and lineman.

But Shanahan could have done that too. So we will continue to see the patriots offense that I hate. (GOsh dang, Ive always hated this NE offense)!!!!!!

Just a thought, but

And thats really my only gripe about letting Shanahan go when we did. I thought he and the Goodman's were on a roll and probably would have addressed the defense a lot better this past season. But, i blame that ******* hack Slowik, he is the anti-christ.

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
And thats really my only gripe about letting Shanahan go when we did. I thought he and the Goodman's were on a roll and probably would have addressed the defense a lot better this past season. But, i blame that ******* hack Slowik, he is the anti-christ.

Me too. I blame Sundquist for allot. I would also like to say I was FURIOUS with the Goodmans getting fired. Right before the draft no less.

Thats why I seem negative. Everytime the scab starts healing, something weird as hell goes down and rips it off.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM

heaven help mcdaniels if he doesn't draft the players people want. . . . :lol:

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
heaven help mcdaniels if he doesn't draft the players people want. . . . :lol:

Imagine if we lose Doom, Marshall, Hillis, Sheff, and have a shitty draft! Whoo Weeee!!!!!

KCL
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Imagine if we lose Doom, Marshall, Hillis, Sheff, and have a shitty draft! Whoo Weeee!!!!!

and lose to the Chiefs AND Raiders...oh wait that already happened...:lol:

LMAO...Sorry guys...but paybacks are a Mofo and esp at your place and the look on McD's face was priceless:laugh:...you all weren't suppose to lose those games.

I love you clay and dog...

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:45 PM

LMAO...Sorry guys...but paybacks are a Mofo and esp at your place and the look on McD's face was priceless:laugh:...you all weren't suppose to lose those games.

You almsot got a "SUCK IT"!

KCL
01-07-2010, 04:45 PM
You almsot got a "SUCK IT"!

You love me and you know it.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Suck it. :D

dogfish
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM

what if he trades clady and harris?

claymore
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
what if he trades clady and harris?

I could give 2 squirts about Harris, but at this point I would laugh. I own no ones jersey on this team! Trade them all!

nevcraw
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Because

this type of post is exactly why people get into pissing matches.. Stop speaking like you know something.. You are assuming your conjecture is true because the all knowing coach did not play him. He with all his wisdom and experience could not possibly be wrong or stubborn.
Hillis made everything of his opportunity before getting hurt last year. He looked like a starting running back to anyone that watched. go back and look at the cleveland game, the ATL, the dolphins game..
Soo.. no college back-ups became starters in the NFL?? :tsk:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
The only coach hilils has ever proved himself to is one of the worst personnel coaches in history.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM

I agreed that he should have been used as a 3rd down back. I just don't see him as the superstar you guys are making him out to be. He won't be a starter anywhere else in the league, unless whoever is in front of him gets injured.

I understand the man crush, I guess... but having a crush on him doesn't make him a #1 back. Like I stated previously in the thread, I think he should have been used as 3rd down back but you instead of accepting someones opinion, you get your feelings hurt and need to press on about holding water and such.

If I agree with you, will you stop the whining?

Hillis is the best back I have seen in years. Nobody can measure up to the pure skills that he possesses. I just wish they could clone him because every team could have a Hillis!

there you go, CLOSE THREAD, we're in agreement that he rules.

JDL
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
The only coach hilils has ever proved himself to is one of the worst personnel coaches in history.

This has to be one of the worst statements ever made on this forum.

Yup, he made some mistakes... but that is a ridiculous statement... Clady, Royal, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, Dumervil never did anything for us either??? .. they should be demoted because they were similarly drafted by Shanahan... never mind the fact that the guy that is starting in front of him at FB was ALSO drafted by Shanahan as a LB in Spencer Larsen.

Shanahan had his hits and misses with talent evaluation, BUT when he found a guy he knew how to take advantage of his strengths... McDaniels hasn't really shown he get DRAFT or effectively utilize offensive talent, now has he? But, you are going to give him a greater benefit of the doubt than a coach that routinely selected and coached good to great offensive players? :shocked:

Ravage!!!
I agreed that he should have been used as a 3rd down back. I just don't see him as the superstar you guys are making him out to be. He won't be a starter anywhere else in the league, unless whoever is in front of him gets injured.

I understand the man crush, I guess... but having a crush on him doesn't make him a #1 back. Like I stated previously in the thread, I think he should have been used as 3rd down back but you instead of accepting someones opinion, you get your feelings hurt and need to press on about holding water and such.

Hillis is the best back I have seen in years. Nobody can measure up to the pure skills that he possesses. I just wish they could clone him because every team could have a Hillis!

The reason we keep disagreeing with you, is because you can't stop exaggerating our opinions for us.

We can't say we think he's a solid, stud, player without you stating we said he was a 'super star.'

But now.. when someone disagrees with, what you believe to be your correct and authority opinion, its whining??? I think you and McD are related. :coffee:

shank
I could give 2 squirts about Harris, but at this point I would laugh. I own no ones jersey on this team! Trade them all!

how are you still 'not sold' on harris. did you not witness the huge step our line took backwards when he was out of the lineup?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
This has to be one of the worst statements ever made on this forum.

Yup, he made some mistakes... but that is a ridiculous statement... Clady, Royal, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, Dumervil never did anything for us either??? .. they should be demoted because they were similarly drafted by Shanahan... never mind the fact that the guy that is starting in front of him at FB was ALSO drafted by Shanahan as a LB in Spencer Larsen.

Shanahan had his hits and misses with talent evaluation, BUT when he found a guy he knew how to take advantage of his strengths... McDaniels hasn't really shown he get DRAFT or effectively utilize offensive talent, now has he? But, you are going to give him a greater benefit of the doubt than a coach that routinely selected and coached good to great offensive players? :shocked:

Not to mention Shanahan had a tendency to NAIL RBs in the draft and be able to succeed with those backs.

You are right, that really was one of the dumbest statements ever made on the board.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
The reason we keep disagreeing with you, is because you can't stop exaggerating our opinions for us.

We can't say we think he's a solid, stud, player without you stating we said he was a 'super star.'

But now.. when someone disagrees with, what you believe to be your correct and authority opinion, its whining??? I think you and McD are related. :coffee:

you just did exactly what you said I was doing. Hypocrisy... it rules.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that I already stated that I am not a big fan of McD, and think he's a douche bag.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Not to mention Shanahan had a tendency to NAIL RBs in the draft and be able to succeed with those backs.

You are right, that really was one of the dumbest statements ever made on the board.

did he really NAIL all of those RB's? Or was it the OL we had that made half decent backs looks better?

What did those RB's do after they left Denver? Did they last more than a year or 2?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
you just did exactly what you said I was doing. Hypocrisy... it rules.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that I already stated that I am not a big fan of McD, and think he's a douche bag.

If you are going to use that word and call me a hypocrite, you might want to look up the definition of it, first.

Saying you are related to McD doesn't make me a hypocrite simply because you said you think he's a douche.

Just sayin' :coffee:

JDL
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

I think the point would be that he had attributes that could have been utilized to encourage a more creative offense and change of pace from Moreno/Buck... the issue I see that most people have had is that even when Jordan and Buck were hurt ... McD wouldn't play Hillis... how does that make ANY logical sense whatsoever... Moreno was out there visibility exhausted in the one game and he couldn't even throw (or more to the point.. McD WOULD NOT) give even a handful of carries, if nothing more to rest his freaking starting RB and allow him to be more effective down the stretch... nevermind he is a rookie, was hitting the rookie wall at the time after a much longer season than he's ever had.

It simply isn't about Hillis being the starter or even the backup, it is that there were times when he CLEARLY should have been used and McD refused to, to the CLEAR detriment of the team and his starter - Moreno. I think that shows a great deal of stubborness and says all I need to know about his opinion of Hillis... everyone can be wrong... sometimes I think some fans sit around and act like their team can do no wrong... everything they do is right... because their team did it and they are just smarter than us... which I find downright ridiculous... if the world worked that way, we wouldn't have democracies... I'm sure no one here ever DARED to question a President!!! But, that's fine... a football coach??? OMG the horror... :eek:

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I hope you guys are right and McD keeps the guy around. I would LOVE to see a guy be able to pound through the opposition and help our run game. If he's as good as you guys think, I don't want to see him running against us. Because from the last couple games against KC and OAK, we would let him run for 400 yds on us.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
If you are going to use that word and call me a hypocrite, you might want to look up the definition of it, first.

Saying you are related to McD doesn't make me a hypocrite simply because you said you think he's a douche.

Just sayin' :coffee:

nope, what makes you a hypocrite, is calling me out on posting things that have no bearing on the argument and then saying something as ignorant as that.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
nope, what makes you a hypocrite, is calling me out on posting things that have no bearing on the argument and then saying something as ignorant as that.

:lol: No

Saying you have the same characteristics as someone else doesn't make me a hypocrite.

I pointed out that your problem with the discussion, is that you kept exaggerating our stance on Hillis, thus, taking everything we had completely out of context. You kept arguing that we were putting him in Super Star status. An incorrect exaggeration that only brought more heat your direction.That's not saying you are posting things that have no bearing on the discussion, either.

Saying something ignorant, as you put it, doesn't have a single thing to do with hypocrisy.

See, I told you that you needed to look up the definition before calling someone that name.

weazel
01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
:lol: No

Saying you have the same characteristics as someone else doesn't make me a hypocrite.

I pointed out that your problem with the discussion, is that you kept exaggerating our stance on Hillis, thus, taking everything we had completely out of context. You kept arguing that we were putting him in Super Star status. An incorrect exaggeration that only brought more heat your direction.That's not saying you are posting things that have no bearing on the discussion, either.

Saying something ignorant, as you put it, doesn't have a single thing to do with hypocrisy.

See, I told you that you needed to look up the definition before calling someone that name.

are you really that stupid? You called me out on something than did the same thing. You're a hypocrite.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
are you really that stupid? You called me out on something than did the same thing. You're a hypocrite.

Ok, weazel... you are right. I'm really that stupid and you nailed me on it.

Tned
01-07-2010, 06:58 PM

What other personell issue should people be upset about? Maybe his refusal to start/play Marshall much in the early games. Short of that, and maybe Scheffler's spotty play, there isn't an equivalent situation.

shank
01-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I think the point would be that he had attributes that could have been utilized to encourage a more creative offense and change of pace from Moreno/Buck... the issue I see that most people have had is that even when Jordan and Buck were hurt ... McD wouldn't play Hillis... how does that make ANY logical sense whatsoever... Moreno was out there visibility exhausted in the one game and he couldn't even throw (or more to the point.. McD WOULD NOT) give even a handful of carries, if nothing more to rest his freaking starting RB and allow him to be more effective down the stretch... nevermind he is a rookie, was hitting the rookie wall at the time after a much longer season than he's ever had.

It simply isn't about Hillis being the starter or even the backup, it is that there were times when he CLEARLY should have been used and McD refused to, to the CLEAR detriment of the team and his starter - Moreno. I think that shows a great deal of stubborness and says all I need to know about his opinion of Hillis... everyone can be wrong... sometimes I think some fans sit around and act like their team can do no wrong... everything they do is right... because their team did it and they are just smarter than us... which I find downright ridiculous... if the world worked that way, we wouldn't have democracies... I'm sure no one here ever DARED to question a President!!! But, that's fine... a football coach??? OMG the horror... :eek:

qft. 659 high fives.

Tned-Mobile
01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
qft. 659 high fives.

JDL was dead on in the post about the game where Moreno was visibly exhausted and at times almost stumbling/falling into the line. If I remember, Hillis went in as tailback for one series in that game, and don't remember him getting a carry, maybe one.

A bruiser that rarely fumbles and has among the best hands on the TV (based on his teammates comments).

shank
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM

JDL was dead on in the post about the game where Moreno was visibly exhausted and at times almost stumbling/falling into the line. If I remember, Hillis went in as tailback for one series in that game, and don't remember him getting a carry, maybe one.

A bruiser that rarely fumbles and has among the best hands on the TV (based on his teammates comments).

he got one carry that game, and it was when moreno asked to be taken out.

Poet
01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
JDL > thread.

Lonestar
01-08-2010, 01:26 AM

Actually IIRC hillis was the leading rusher last year..

Broncolingus
01-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Comments are lukewarm to say the least...can't say I blame him.

What do I know, but seems like Hillis is a 'team-first,' selfless player who gives his all and can contribute.

Plus, he's clearly a fan favorite.

Would hate to see him go...

Northman
01-08-2010, 06:57 AM
qft. 659 high fives.

How come not 660?

Dirk
01-08-2010, 08:59 AM
It's hard for me to take anything you say to heart North.....

I can't read anything you say without bouncing my eyes up to your AVI...Wow! :eek:

Just sayin' :D

claymore
01-08-2010, 09:16 AM
What other personell issue should people be upset about? Maybe his refusal to start/play Marshall much in the early games. Short of that, and maybe Scheffler's spotty play, there isn't an equivalent situation.

Leach, Cutler, Royal, Simms/Brandstetter/Orton thing durring the San diego game, JMFW, Colquitt, Berger, Law, Sheffler Benching,,,,,, Im sure I forgot something.

Not to mention the media leaks, play calling, Quinn trade, Smith trade etc...

Like I said... Why people waited for the Hillis thing to get pissed baffles me. The Hillis thing is just another blip on the radar.

Actually IIRC hillis was the leading rusher last year..

And he started like 2 games. That tells me we had alot of injuries last year.

arapaho2
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
this type of post is exactly why people get into pissing matches.. Stop speaking like you know something.. You are assuming your conjecture is true because the all knowing coach did not play him. He with all his wisdom and experience could not possibly be wrong or stubborn.
Hillis made everything of his opportunity before getting hurt last year. He looked like a starting running back to anyone that watched. go back and look at the cleveland game, the ATL, the dolphins game..
Soo.. no college back-ups became starters in the NFL?? :tsk:

earth to nevcraw...come in nevcraw..over

nevcraw
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
earth to nevcraw...come in nevcraw..over

I don't follow.. come again?

Ravage!!!
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't follow.. come again?

thats what she said!!!

(sorry sorry... :tsk:)

Tned
01-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Leach, Cutler, Royal, Simms/Brandstetter/Orton thing durring the San diego game, JMFW, Colquitt, Berger, Law, Sheffler Benching,,,,,, Im sure I forgot something.

Not to mention the media leaks, play calling, Quinn trade, Smith trade etc...

Like I said... Why people waited for the Hillis thing to get pissed baffles me. The Hillis thing is just another blip on the radar.

Well, on Cutler, that discussion was hashed to death in the offseason, so people aren't focusing on it anymore.

As to Simms and Brandstater, what's their to discuss? Other than people that though BVP should be the starter a few years ago, nobody is foolish enough to think Brandstater was ready to start. Simms bombed when he came in for Orton when Orton was hurt.

JMFW, Colquit and berger? What's to discuss? Non issues.

Law, as it turned out it was a good signing, because Smith wasn't ready for prime time.

On Quinn and Smith. It's too early to know on Quinn, but many agree that trading a first for a second was a rookie coaching mistake, but again, this was beat to death in the offseason and is old news.

Scheffler benching (along with Marshall fallout) was the main topic of discussion the last week. Scheffler's lack of production isn't surprising, because McDaniels system uses TE's for blocking more than receiving, which is likely why Scheffler is upset.

Royal started, but didn't produce. That might be partially on Orton and McDaniels, but also on Royal, as he wasn't getting open. My personal opinion, as I have said before, is that what has hurt Royal is McDaniels compressing the secondary and linebackers in regards to the LOS, due to all of his screens and short passes. Royal needs the field to be stretched, so that he can utilize his quickness in a little space, as he isn't big enough to produce in traffic. However, he has played all season.

Hills is a unique situation, because he was arguably one of our most productive runners last season, and while our running game struggled this season, especially in short yardage, McDaniels refused to give Hillis a shot in that role.

None of your examples are even remotely similar to the Hillis situation.