PDA

View Full Version : Main Defensive Concern: Stop the RUN

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Slowik's top priority will be stopping run

By Lee Rasizer (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/staff/lee-rasizer/), Rocky Mountain News (Contact (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/staff/lee-rasizer/contact/))

Monday, February 25, 2008

There's a laundry list of items that Bob Slowik wants to accomplish as the new defensive coordinator of the Broncos.
But there's one matter above all that can keep the group from being hampered.
"That's pretty easy: stopping the run," Slowik said in his first public comments since replacing Jim Bates.
Slowik believes in an eight-man front to accomplish that goal and make opponents one-dimensional.
"I think you start there and if you have that aspect of the game under control and teams are throwing the ball, you can move in the other direction. It's hard to go the other way."
That's exactly the scenario that unfolded last season for Denver's 30th-ranked run defense when it converted from a seven-man front in the middle of the season.
Slowik's previous experience overseeing an eight-man alignment prompted speculation he was actually running the defense for the second half in 2007. But Slowik insisted that while he provided input, his involvement related more specifically to his job as secondary coach at the time, with "no play-calling, no installing, no anything of that nature."
There's no doubt now whose task it will be as he takes over for the fourth time as a coordinator after stints with Chicago, Cleveland and Green Bay.
The opportunity is one he hoped eventually would come, either in Denver or elsewhere in the future ever since the Broncos hired him in 2005.
"I enjoy coaching a position and the fundamental aspects," he said of his transition from guiding the team's safeties and cornerbacks. "But I really enjoy the tactical aspect and calling plays."
Slowik doesn't want to limit himself by saying exactly what kind of stamp he'll put on Denver's defense.
"I'm not going to make a proclamation that we're going to be a blitz team or name-me-a-team. It all depends on how the game is, what our guys are comfortable with," he said. "And we'll have a good mix."
MIDDLE MEN: With free agency thin at defensive tackle, the Broncos have expressed an interest in acquiring Detroit's talented but enigmatic Shaun Rogers, who's on the trade block. But one other name to watch via that route is the New York Jets'
Dewayne Robertson, who is only 26 years old and five years removed from being a top-10 pick.
Robertson has a balky contract that includes a high base salary and cap figure in excess of $11 million that will need restructuring if he's ultimately dealt.
But the feelers the Jets are putting out at the combine to gauge the market, which certainly has piqued the Broncos' interest, has more to do with the defensive tackle's lack of a fit within New York's 3-4 scheme than finances.
Robinson is regarded as a high-character performer and would be a solid acquisition as an experienced player in his prime at a need position with Denver.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I like that better than the Shaun Rogers move. DeWayne Robertson is a beast.

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I'd be happy with either one. Statistically, they're the same player.

turftoad
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I like that better than the Shaun Rogers move. DeWayne Robertson is a beast.

Me too. I like the tems "high-character performer" which does not seem to be attached to Roger's name very much.

DenBronx
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
maybe we can swing a blockbuster deal with the jets to get robertson AND vilma. walker, foxy and a late 3rd.

MHCBill
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
What late 3rd?

DenBronx
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
What late 3rd?

we have two 3rd round picks....send them our later one.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
we have two 3rd round picks....send them our later one.

We don't have any third round picks.

DenBronx
02-25-2008, 12:52 PM
We don't have any third round picks.

huh? what planet am i on? is it the 4th round that we have two picks?

MHCBill
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
yes... two 4th round

DenBronx
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
i think we traded our 3rd last year for moss.

BOSSHOGG30
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
I would give them our 1st round pick and Walker for Robertson, Vilma, and their 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Do you think they would do that?

HolyDiver
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
8 man fronts...............good to even hear that again..............Remember the Philly game from 2005? Our Defense looked incredible.........McNabb didn't know WHAT to do. We had 8...9 even 10 man fronts that game......I would love it if Slowick brings that back...............Last year was such a disapointment, mostly because before the 2007 season, we DID have a very good run Defense.

WARHORSE
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I would give them our 1st round pick and Walker for Robertson, Vilma, and their 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Do you think they would do that?

Of course they will, we just have to ask! :beer:

;)

tubby
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/jribbens02/al.jpg