PDA

View Full Version : Shefter report on another site

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Saw this on another site. Didnt see it anywhere else and found it interesting.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/7335708291

Adam Schefter reports that a first and third round picks offer from an NFL team means that the Broncos will say goodbye to WR Brandon Marshall.

Marshall is among 212 NFL players that will lose unrestricted status because the league and its union can't agree on a new labor contract.

I'm curious where the info came from first of all. The other things that interested me were the comments by the posters...none of which are Broncos fans. notice none of them have ANYTHING to do with anything McD did in the final week.

"great deal for his talent.. horrible deal for his attitude"

"If i were a team looking for Wide Receiver Talent I'd look elsewhere before giving up those picks. If he doesn't like where he is at he will be a headache and a distraction for a team. Why not use the picks for two quality guys that you can build your team around. He is great but I don't think he can make any team into a superbowl contender overnight so just pass on that deal."

"Definitely not worth it."

"I'm unsure if the Ravens should make a deal. I dont like the idea of a 1st and a 3rd. I'd do it for 2 2nds but the dude has an atttude problem. He really is T. Owens v2.0"

"When his head is focused, he is practically unstoppable. If he did move to another team he would be so good initially. The risk of course is that when the going gets tough he will do/say something that you just can't allow. Another big issue is how he reacts when he gets paid, because he certainly doesn't strike me as the integral type"

"For his talent, the Ravens should be all over this. But they are also getting his attitude.

He is immature and childish who doesnt know how to handle adversity.

The Ravens or whoever pulls the trigger need to realize this."

"Arrests, acting like a child in practice by punting balls and refusing to catch them, telling his HC he isn't fit to play on Sunday despite an MRI showing no damage, being late for therapy for said injury, moping around on the field when the ball isn't thrown his way enough - that is literally off the top of my head.

Brandon is so talented and 'the beast' couldn't be a more appropriate nickname. But there is a reason he has had such a troubled few years, and its not because he's unlucky."

"He has always had a pretty bad attitude. Acting like he doesnt is ignorant"

...there was more, but you get the idea

claymore
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I cant wait till he isnt our problem. Love him on the field,,,,,,, but thats about it.

MadMax
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Sounds good to me, we could use another CB and a blocking tight-end. :D:D

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I know it's a joke to some, but we will need another CB to groom with Smith. Goody and Champ will be 32 next season.

claymore
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
i know it's a joke to some, but we will need another cb to groom with smith. Goody and champ will be 32 next season.

bpa!!!!!!

WARHORSE
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Teams are going to be in play for the guy, and there will be a bidding war.

He will fetch a first and a third if the pick is above the fifteenth selection, and more if its not.

Thats my opium. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I think Champ will be gone, so I do think we need another corner for sure

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Honestly.. and I know this is making me sound like a 'hater'.. but reading these comments absolutely makes you see why going to the media with the comments that were made, was a HUGE mistake. Its the last thing remembered, and when you want to trade away a commodity, the last thing you want is a negative image of the product.

GEM
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Honestly.. and I know this is making me sound like a 'hater'.. but reading these comments absolutely makes you see why going to the media with the comments that were made, was a HUGE mistake. Its the last thing remembered, and when you want to trade away a commodity, the last thing you want is a negative image of the product.

His image to the outside world wasn't built overnight and it wasn't built just under this coach. Freaking Shanahan was ready to ship him out...and that says something. Gardner, Clarrett, etc... he gave just about anyone a chance, so for him to be ready to ship Marshall's butt out the door really says something about Marshall.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
His image to the outside world wasn't built overnight and it wasn't built just under this coach. Freaking Shanahan was ready to ship him out...and that says something. Gardner, Clarrett, etc... he gave just about anyone a chance, so for him to be ready to ship Marshall's butt out the door really says something about Marshall.

Those rumors were dispelled by shanahan himself.

But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Marshall didn't ahve problems BEFORE McD... but Marshall did go the entire season without incident, had some BIG TIME games on national TV, and caught over 100 balls again for the third time. SO instead of THOSE images being to the forefront when thinking of the player, the LATEST press conference about him is....and if you are going to trade away a player, thats not what you want.

Buff
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM

But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Marshall didn't ahve problems BEFORE McD... but Marshall did go the entire season without incident, had some BIG TIME games on national TV, and caught over 100 balls again for the third time. SO instead of THOSE images being to the forefront when thinking of the player, the LATEST press conference about him is....and if you are going to trade away a player, thats not what you want.

It's definitely not ideal, but after hearing more and more details about the situation and hearing Champ and Marshall comment--I can't fault McD for doing what he did. No one is above the team--if veterans like B-Dawk and Champ were questioning his committment, that's proof enough for me that McD needed to do something.

I am in complete agreement that you don't want to devalue your asset, but I also think McD's hand was forced on this one.

Northman
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Honestly, TO is known to be a lockeroom cancer and its NEVER stopped him from being traded or getting paid. Regardless of whether McD let the cat out of the bag Marshall's stock wont fall. Some team will be desperate enough to bite and give up the farm for him because he has the talent to make them better. They will just say that the "risk" is worth it and let it ride from there.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
It's definitely not ideal, but after hearing more and more details about the situation and hearing Champ and Marshall comment--I can't fault McD for doing what he did. No one is above the team--if veterans like B-Dawk and Champ were questioning his committment, that's proof enough for me that McD needed to do something.

I am in complete agreement that you don't want to devalue your asset, but I also think McD's hand was forced on this one.

Sitting hm, and going to the media and publically doubting Marshall's toughness are completely different things.

I'm not wanting to hijack the thread, although I find it relevant. Although we'll never know, I would be curious to know just how much these comments would have been different if this last incident hadn't of happened. I personally believe a lot of the negative comments wouldn't have been typed out.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Honestly, TO is known to be a lockeroom cancer and its NEVER stopped him from being traded or getting paid. Regardless of whether McD let the cat out of the bag Marshall's stock wont fall. Some team will be desperate enough to bite and give up the farm for him because he has the talent to make them better. They will just say that the "risk" is worth it and let it ride from there.

I don't disagree with that. A team would be foolish not to trade for him. You don't find that kind of talent often... he can dominate any DB in the NFL. A team WILL absolutely trade for him, I mean, look what was given up for Williams in Dallas. He NEVER had the kind of dominating season Marshall has had for three straight years now.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I am sure this has already been posted in another thread, but felt it was applicable here also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792471

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels decided to bench wide receiver Brandon Marshall for the regular-season finale after he was late to a scheduled therapy session with the Denver medical staff for treatment of a hamstring injury the team already believed he was exaggerating, according to multiple team sources.

Both Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler were not permitted on the sideline or in the locker room when the Broncos lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 44-24 on Sunday, ending their playoff hopes. It is the team's policy not to allow inactive players on the sideline or in the locker room.

The Broncos sent Marshall for an MRI on his hamstring after he complained of the injury during Wednesday's practice. According to team sources, the test indicated that Marshall's hamstring was healthy.

The latest showdown between the head coach and the Pro Bowl receiver actually began the week before when Marshall excused himself from practice, complaining the cold weather was making it difficult for him to breathe.

Then, as the team reviewed tape of its loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, in which Marshall dropped several passes, McDaniels mentioned that certain plays had to be made. Marshall apparently felt he was being unfairly singled out for criticism.

According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, D.J. Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs.

"We had the guys that wanted to play in the huddle,'' Orton told the Denver Post. "I appreciate coach for his decision. We're trying to win games and we're trying to build something special. And sometimes you have to make tough decisions. And I stand behind him and I know the other guys do as well.''

That development, combined with a home loss to the Raiders, compelled McDaniels to emphasize the need for accountability in a full team meeting Wednesday. It was later that day when Marshall complained about his hamstring.

Scheffler was presumably demoted to the scout team after he was overheard telling teammates that he couldn't wait for Denver's season to end.

The Broncos do not think it's a coincidence that Marshall became a distraction almost immediately after achieving several personal goals, including having another 100-catch season and making the Pro Bowl. McDaniels has been implementing a team-first mentality similar to that he experienced while part of Bill Belichick's staff with the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

It's possible Marshall has played his last game with the Broncos, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Marshall is scheduled to be a free agent this offseason, and will be a restricted free agent if next season is uncapped, as is expected.

In an uncapped year, the Broncos would be expected to tender Marshall at the highest level possible -- one worth a first- and third-round draft choice. If another team signed Marshall to an offer sheet, Denver would have seven days to match it. If Denver opted not to match the offer -- and the Broncos have shown little inclination of signing him to a long-term deal -- then Marshall would become the other teams' property and Denver would get back first- and third-round draft choices.

Because Marshall would be a free agent, Denver could not trade Marshall without his signing an offer sheet with another team.

Ed Werder is an NFL reporter for ESPN. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

GEM
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

He's never had an issue staying clean during the season. His issues have always happened in the offseason. So him staying clear since August isn't a huge accomplishment that we can build anything out of.

And it's Coach McD's fault that he showed up late to a treatment, skipped a meeting, and decided that he was too injured to play even though the MRI showed he was clear. Wow....McD sure has a lot of power.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
... but Marshall did go the entire season without incident,

Considering this was a contract year for him basically, and he did not have a choice from a professional standpoint but not act up means absolutely nothing to me. The fact that the season went without incident being sandwiched between a 7 year old temper tantrum and what happened during the last wekk only shows me he doesn't, in the least interest, think about the team concept whatsoever.

Considering what's happened with Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler, Shanahan really drafted some talented headcases.

CrazyHorse
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Hmm this sucks instead of being able to build from what we've got we have to start fresh... we need to draft a wide receiver now. How about another Brandon... Lafell?

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
And it's Coach McD's fault that he showed up late to a treatment, skipped a meeting, and decided that he was too injured to play even though the MRI showed he was clear. Wow....McD sure has a lot of power.

I don't know where you got ANY of that from my post.

But I'll say this.....

ONE... he didn't say he was too injured to play. He said he didn't know if he could go, on WEDNESDAY. The coach made that decision to sit him, THEN said (to the media) that the decision to sit him had NOTHING to do with his injury.

TWO. The MRI thing, doesn't mean squat. The MRI didn't show Rod Smith's injury as being severe. Al Wilson, was mis-diagnosed by this med staff because THEIR tests and MRI's showed nothing, it cost him his career. Marshall last season, played through pain because, this staff, said that nothing on the MRI showed it was serious... he then finds out it was serious enough that it could have ended his career. So the MRI, absolutely has NOTHING to do with this, whatsoever, as far as anyone is concerned. That shows absolutely NO proof of injury, as THIS med-staff has repeatedly proved.

Regardless.. I'm not even going there, didn't go there, and don't know why you took my post to go there.

I'll stick with the point I DID make, however. Going to the media, and questioning Marshall's reasons for saying he wasn't sure about playing, and questioning the player's toughness TO the media was NOT the smartest, most mature, or most intelligent thing to do considering its a player that you will either have to sign, or trade away. If you are going to sit him, then as a coach, follow your OWN advice and keep it IN HOUSE...... IN HOUSE does not mean spilling the crap to the media. Thats just taking the shine off your shiniest used car and then telling everyone its a clunk. Doesn't make sense when you would want caddy prices for him.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Considering this was a contract year for him basically, and he did not have a choice from a professional standpoint but not act up means absolutely nothing to me. The fact that the season went without incident being sandwiched between a 7 year old temper tantrum and what happened during the last wekk only shows me he doesn't, in the least interest, think about the team concept whatsoever.

Considering what's happened with Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler, Shanahan really drafted some talented headcases.

Uhmmmm. they sure weren't problems when the other coach was here, at least certainly not on the field on in the locker room whatsoever. :whoknows: But, he drafted talented enough players to bring multiple 1st round picks from other teams seeing how talented they are.

But that wasn't even the point.. again. The point was, if you are going to trade away your product, DO NOT brighten the TURD in the store window right before the sale hits the stands.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Sitting hm, and going to the media and publically doubting Marshall's toughness are completely different things.

I'm not wanting to hijack the thread, although I find it relevant. Although we'll never know, I would be curious to know just how much these comments would have been different if this last incident hadn't of happened. I personally believe a lot of the negative comments wouldn't have been typed out.

Really? The comments reference arrests, and punting balls in practice. . .lots of stuff that happened before this last week.

No way could it have helped, but I don't think last week made that much difference anyway. Everyone pretty well knows what kind of product Brandon Marshall is before last week.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Uhmmmm. they sure weren't problems when the other coach was here, .

When the other coach was here, the Marshall's of the team didn't feel "threatened".

I didn't see him kicking any footballs around like a 7 year old either when Shanahan was he.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Really? The comments reference arrests, and punting balls in practice. . .lots of stuff that happened before this last week.

No way could it have helped, but I don't think last week made that much difference anyway. Everyone pretty well knows what kind of product Brandon Marshall is before last week.

Not sure if it hurt or not.. but considering you want to trade him away, do you think it was the wisest thing to take that direction instead of keeping it in house? Sure seems like a lot of the (ex) football players that talk about this sure seem to think that questioning a players toughness or accusations of faking an injury are the worst things you can say to/about a player to the media. Even Schlereth who has been a BIG TIME criticizer of Marshall, can't believe McD didn't keep that in house.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
When the other coach was here, the Marshall's of the team didn't feel "threatened".

I didn't see him kicking any footballs around like a 7 year old either when Shanahan was he.

Exactly..........

BroncoWave
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Yes, because Shanahan's player coddling led us to SO much success in the last decade! :lol:

Of course Marshall didn't do that stuff under Shanahan, Shanahan was known for signing any thug/locker room cancer with talent (Clarett, Henry, tried to get T.O.) and he coddled them all when they played for Denver. He didn't get tough with him until they gave him no other choice, which was usually much too late.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Thats not what Portis says in the article posted on this site, just today. :confused:

So it makes sense to think that if the palyers were NOT acting up with Shanahan while he was here, that HIS lax is the cause of it, yet....they didn't act up? hMm...

Shanahan didn't get tough with them until they gave him no other choice... and McD did what that was different???

Clarett made the team? Henry was a LOCKER room cancer? Parcells said he was going to draft Clarett right after shanahan, didn't he? Hmmm.. weird

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM

You didn't need the disclaimer. Your words pretty much refute it by themselves.

I'm sure NOBODY saw the replays, ad nauseum, from last summer.

I'm sure NOBODY has heard of his multiple flirts with the law.

I highly DOUBT benching him the last game of the season, after he said he was hurt, is going to do anymore damage to his cred.

Your.....eh, never mind. :coffee:

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Hmm this sucks instead of being able to build from what we've got we have to start fresh... we need to draft a wide receiver now. How about another Brandon... Lafell?

They don't need another one.

They've already got Brandon......Lloyd.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
If we do opt to let him go don't be surprised to see several teams contact Denver to seek out a trade before free agency starts. Could benefit Denver if a bidding war develops and a trade would be contingent on Marshall agreeing to a contract before the deal is finalized. There are going to be plenty of teams trying to get him because he is worth the risk. He has stayed out of trouble for a while and is a bonifide stud WR. The right coach and franchise could make this work for them and Marshall.

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Uhmmmm. they sure weren't problems when the other coach was here, at least certainly not on the field on in the locker room whatsoever. :whoknows: But, he drafted talented enough players to bring multiple 1st round picks from other teams seeing how talented they are.

But that wasn't even the point.. again. The point was, if you are going to trade away your product, DO NOT brighten the TURD in the store window right before the sale hits the stands.

A turd's a turd, no matter HOW shiny you try to make it.

And your 3 favorite players are really nothing more than 'full of potential'.

Cutler is a flatliner. If things aren't going good, he self-destructs. Blames everybody else.

Shefler hasn't done ANYTHING on the field. Sometimes I think it's just because he's white. Seriously.

Marshall is a ME player. He's shown it publicly. He said it in his interview after the latest hoopla.

If we could have the BM from games 2-15, I'd say KEEP HIM!

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Thats not what Portis says in the article posted on this site, just today. :confused:

That the same poortiss that liked to dress in drag, and then said he didn't see anything wrong with dog-fighting?

JONtheBRONCO
01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I think Champ will be gone, so I do think we need another corner for sure

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels confirmed that he wants Champ Bailey back.
Bailey, who will be 32 next season, is entering the final year of his contract and is due $12.5 million. "I love Champ," McDaniels said. "He's a captain. He's been a Bronco for a while, and I hope he's going to be a Bronco as long as I'm here."

Source: Denver Post

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM

You need to listen to Jeb Putz's interview he did a while back on the fan to see what his impression was of Cutler. Also, you don't feel Cutler was a problem on the field and in the locker room - yelling at Eddie Royal last year during a game, never sitting with the players on the bench, never eating with the players after a game????????

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
You need to listen to Jeb Putz's interview he did a while back on the fan to see what his impression was of Cutler. Also, you don't feel Cutler was a problem on the field and in the locker room - yelling at Eddie Royal last year during a game, never sitting with the players on the bench, never eating with the players after a game????????

Apparently you just don't get it.

Jay Cutler has a stronger arm than John Elway. Who cares who he yells at, how many interceptions he throws, or how many more losing seasons he's going to have.

He has a stronger arm than John Elway!

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
You need to listen to Jeb Putz's interview he did a while back on the fan to see what his impression was of Cutler.

I missed that tidbit. Can you try to find that again, carol? :beer:

claymore
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Shanahan denied that.

JONtheBRONCO
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
$1,000,000 arm, $2 head. Guy has all the talent in the world, too bad he comes off as smugish. There's no doubt Cutler is a good quarterback, because he is, despite the 26 INT's... He's going to end up winning for Chicago... But will he win the big one? Who knows. Is he a leader? Nope. Pretty selfish if you ask me... I'll say NO to Cutler after the little antics he's pulled, same with Marshall. No use sticking up for them when they could give a crap about the team you root for.

JONtheBRONCO
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Shanahan denied that.

Bill Clinton denied a BJ. Sorry, had to say it.

claymore
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Bill Clinton denied a BJ. Sorry, had to say it.

Hater!

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels confirmed that he wants Champ Bailey back.
Bailey, who will be 32 next season, is entering the final year of his contract and is due $12.5 million. "I love Champ," McDaniels said. "He's a captain. He's been a Bronco for a while, and I hope he's going to be a Bronco as long as I'm here."

Source: Denver Post

Uhmmmm... he said the same things about Hillis ove rand over again throughout the year as well. This doesn't say anything, to be honest.

"I HOPE he's going to be a Bronco as long as I'm here."

Ok... he HOPES that Bailey is willing to sign a new, cap friend, inexpensive contract. He HOPES that Bailey won't want his BIG bonus that is due to him this coming season. He HOPES that if they can work those things out, Bailey will still be here. All those things have to happen, and it is a HOPE. I'm not saying its not going to happen, I said I'm GUESSING that Bailey is gone.

McD has shown that he likes to follow the Belicheck way of doing things. Belicheck got rid of both Milloy and Law when they were getting at the end of their careers, and due big bonuses. Don't be surprised if this is the same path McD chooses for Bailey. Its been a question mark about Bailey for a long time, and his quote does NOT, in ANY WAY, suggest any different.

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Who? Putz? Ohhhhh..... I remember that guy... kinda. He was on the field every once in a while.

BroncoWave
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Who? Putz? Ohhhhh..... I remember that guy... kinda. He was on the field every once in a while.

So a player's opinion only matters if he's a star? :lol::lol::lol:

You really aren't helping your argument any.

JDL
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Uhmmmm... he said the same things about Hillis ove rand over again throughout the year as well. This doesn't say anything, to be honest.

Ok... he HOPES that Bailey is willing to sign a new, cap friend, inexpensive contract. He HOPES that Bailey won't want his BIG bonus that is due to him this coming season. He HOPES that if they can work those things out, Bailey will still be here. All those things have to happen, and it is a HOPE. I'm not saying its not going to happen, I said I'm GUESSING that Bailey is gone.

McD has shown that he likes to follow the Belicheck way of doing things. Belicheck got rid of both Milloy and Law when they were getting at the end of their careers, and due big bonuses. Don't be surprised if this is the same path McD chooses for Bailey. Its been a question mark about Bailey for a long time, and his quote does NOT, in ANY WAY, suggest any different.

Don't forget Asante Samuel. Elite CB entering his prime... want more money... boom you're gone. It's a business, one thing I like about Bailey is he gets it and Bailey will never make a big deal out negotiations or being shopped. He will tell McD and management that unless he gets the deal he wants he will pass on renegotiating his deal. Then Bowlen, McD and management will have to consider the monetary and any cap (if there is one) implications.

If Denver management and McD (sort of redundant but he really shouldn't have so many GM responsibilities) really want him, you'll see a new deal get done... I'm not sure I believe McDaniels will do that... it is a horrible mistake because it has been a long time since our pass D was so good and it is at least 1 small nugget to build on.

roomemp
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

He was just kicking women around

Elevation inc
01-07-2010, 04:34 AM
im not quite sure why everyone is harping this trade value crap....First he isnt likely to get traded, why??? becasue a team would have to give a huge contract thats doubtful becasue of his lengthy histroy which some are now justifying simply to make MCd look bad........but why do that when you andther team can just sign him to a higher 1 year tender for cheap than the broncos offer....you give up a 1st and third draft pick and you limit the risk.....

he is a RFA a trade is unlikely, whats more likely is we offer him a 1 year tender of 3 million....he solicits a offer from say baltimore for 3.5 million....he then goes to baltimore for 1 year on 3.5 million and we get there first and third draft picks.....

his value becomes moot becasue a trade was never really liklely to begin with...if he doesnt get picked up by anotehr team he plays for money than this year or he sits on the bench getting fined....

WE HOLD ALL THE CARDS...ENOUGH WITH THE WACK ASS TRADE VALUE ARGUEMENT!!!!!

marshalls has been a headcase for years here....1 call out by MCd didnt change his so called value....3 years of transgressions and a lengthy nutcase history did......

Elevation inc
01-07-2010, 04:38 AM

his quotes also dont suggest bailey will be gone so the arguement bailey will be gone is moot as well....

GEM
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
his quotes also dont suggest bailey will be gone so the arguement bailey will be gone is moot as well....

I think he knows where his bread is buttered and he knows that he needs to keep his veterans that have bought into his system. I don't think Bailey is going anywhere.

SOCALORADO.
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I think he knows where his bread is buttered and he knows that he needs to keep his veterans that have bought into his system. I don't think Bailey is going anywhere.

Hopefully Bailey doesnt go anywhere, but DEN should not pay or extend him any further on his current contract.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Inc.. I don't know what ruffled your feathers, but you are better than this.

Thats why I said I THINK, Inc.. its nothing more and nothing less than a guess. I said I THINK that he'll be gone BECAUSE Of the money and roster bonus that is due to him. My guess is as good as yours, and as good as your guesses on the draft picks.

So the guess is NOT moot..... it is what it is.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
So a player's opinion only matters if he's a star? :lol::lol::lol:

You really aren't helping your argument any.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I'll pick players that I believe we both have respect for... Royal and Stokely?? Want to hear the words they continue to say about Cutler? or are we only picking the players that fit your perspective?

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Inc.. I don't know what ruffled your feathers, but you are better than this.

Thats why I said I THINK, Inc.. its nothing more and nothing less than a guess. I said that. I THINK that he'll be gone BECAUSE Of the money and signing bonus that is due to him. My guess is as good as yours, and as good as your guesses on the draft picks.

So the guess is NOT moot..... it is what it is.

I think its safer to say Bailey wont make 12.5 mill next year. He will probably be back. Unless we can trade him..

KCL
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Perhaps but it didn't keep LJ from being signed right away...of course he signed for the league minimum I believe....but he still got signed...hope Cincy isn't stupid like Carl to sign him to much...IMO LJ is nothing now!

sorry off topic.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I think its safer to say Bailey wont make 12.5 mill next year. He will probably be back. Unless we can trade him..

Players generally aren't just willing to give up the money that is owed to him. So if the broncos are going to keep him, they will need to make up that money somewhere.. becaues that bonus is guaranteed money to him if he's on the roster. The only other guaranteed money that is given in the NFL is signing bonuses. So I guess we could sign him for another 5 years, with the 12.5 being included in his signing bonus, then pay him less money per season as salary.

But didn't he turn 31 this year?

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Perhaps but it didn't keep LJ from being signed right away...of course he signed for the league minimum I believe....but he still got signed...hope Cincy isn't stupid like Carl to sign him to much...IMO LJ is nothing now!

sorry off topic.

exactly..... great point and example using LJ. LJ was much more of a malcontent than Brandon. Nice points, KCL.

Oh... grats on getting Weis. How do you think this will effect the HC? I mean, he fired your OC just weeks before the season this last year because he wanted more control of the offense. How do you think this will play out?

KCL
01-07-2010, 03:39 PM
exactly..... great point and example using LJ. LJ was much more of a malcontent than Brandon. Nice points, KCL.

Oh... grats on getting Weis. How do you think this will effect the HC? I mean, he fired your OC just weeks before the season this last year because he wanted more control of the offense. How do you think this will play out?

Not wanting to get off topic here but I am glad Haley won't be calling the plays...although he did a good job last week :whistle:

I think him and Haley will be okay...of course I don't know that for sure but he does bring some good OC experience to the team...dude has some years on him...he's not as old as I thought he was...:eek:

claymore
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Players generally aren't just willing to give up the money that is owed to him. So if the broncos are going to keep him, they will need to make up that money somewhere.. becaues that bonus is guaranteed money to him if he's on the roster. The only other guaranteed money that is given in the NFL is signing bonuses. So I guess we could sign him for another 5 years, with the 12.5 being included in his signing bonus, then pay him less money per season as salary.

But didn't he turn 31 this year?

This is where all those years of being professional and saying Pro Team stuff comes in. I think we would pay more than most teams because Bailey has been a professional, and frankly, it would be another controversey. But I highly doubt we pay him anything near 12.5 mill.

Cugel
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Teams are going to be in play for the guy, and there will be a bidding war.

He will fetch a first and a third if the pick is above the fifteenth selection, and more if its not.

Thats my opium. :coffee:

Pro-bowl WRs who break the NFL pass catching record for a single game are NOT just falling off the trees. No matter what ignorant fans might think, NFL GMs will offer at least a #1 draft pick for Marshall -- unless they think the Broncos will have to cut him so they can wait and pick him up for cheap because the team has burned its' bridges.

Teams might balk at a 1st and a 3rd though.

That's another reason why benching Marshall was so abysmally stupid! It undercuts his value! They could have dressed him for game-day or placed him quietly on the inactive roster for injury and kept this quiet.

That would have been the smart way to handle things, but of course nobody ever accused McDaniels of excessive maturity!

What was the point of picking a very public fight with Marshall in his last game as a Bronco? How could this help the team?

McDaniels is just one of those people who has a huge chip on his shoulder and who is constantly daring people to knock it off and then get into a pointless fight with them.

He's hyper-sensitive to "challenges to his authority" and has clearly inherited the Belichek paranoia in full measure.

Great! The paranoid attitude without the brilliance or judgment or maturity to go with it!

SOCALORADO.
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Marshall will fetch a 1st and a 3rd. Watch, it will happen.
BALT, SF(which has 2 1sts in this years draft) or NYG are
all teams with plenty of ammo. Also, dont be suprised if teams
offer players and picks in a deal as well.

Northman
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Marshall will fetch a 1st and a 3rd. Watch, it will happen.
BALT, SF(which has 2 1sts in this years draft) or NYG are
all teams with plenty of ammo. Also, dont be suprised if teams
offer players and picks in a deal as well.

Hell, we got 2 1sts, a 5th, (or was it a 3rd?), and a Qb for Cutler so i know damn well we can get at least a 1st and 3rd for Marshall.

Buff
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Pro-bowl WRs who break the NFL pass catching record for a single game are NOT just falling off the trees. No matter what ignorant fans might think, NFL GMs will offer at least a #1 draft pick for Marshall -- unless they think the Broncos will have to cut him so they can wait and pick him up for cheap because the team has burned its' bridges.

Teams might balk at a 1st and a 3rd though.

That's another reason why benching Marshall was so abysmally stupid! It undercuts his value! They could have dressed him for game-day or placed him quietly on the inactive roster for injury and kept this quiet.

That would have been the smart way to handle things, but of course nobody ever accused McDaniels of excessive maturity!

What was the point of picking a very public fight with Marshall in his last game as a Bronco? How could this help the team?

McDaniels is just one of those people who has a huge chip on his shoulder and who is constantly daring people to knock it off and then get into a pointless fight with them.

He's hyper-sensitive to "challenges to his authority" and has clearly inherited the Belichek paranoia in full measure.

Great! The paranoid attitude without the brilliance or judgment or maturity to go with it!

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=876273&postcount=11

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
People keep mentioning SF as a possible interest grouop.... but they just went though a huge ordeal and spent top money on a WR this last year. They aren't going to dedicate that much money to ONE position. Not when they have a big #1 on the team. IMO, San Fran would be stupid to go after Marshall considering the money they have spent on that position already.

I think its more likely a team like the Jets, Ravens, Titans, or the Jaguars go after Marshall. Maybe Buffalo or the Giants. All seem more likely to go after Marshall than San Fran.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=876273&postcount=11

again.. choosing to sit him and choosing to publically question his toughness are TWO different things. Thats what you ar missing, Buff. You said you agree with the benching, and thats fine, but he's saying that telling the media and not keeping it In House wasn't the smart move. Your post keeps poiting out that you agree with the benching, but there wasn't any reason to go to the podium and negatively talk about the player when nothing benefits the team that way.

Elevation inc
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
meh your right rav my bad.... just tired over the bickering of a player who said he didnt even want to be here 4 months ago...like he magically fixed himself fter 3 years of transgressions....im a huge fan of his but lets get real....

its time for some players to grow up and get a reality check...it was a sore hammy for christs sake...bmarshes own words in a interview were that he could go but he just wouldnt be 100%...well guess what 90 percent of the nfl players arent 100% in week 16....if bmarsh was so tough he wouldnt have bailed out about a sore hammy in the most important game of the season...but hey he got his stats so he is good right...its all MCd faults...lol

im glad bmarsh fights hard in games and does all these things like play through injuries but 3 months of solid work dont outweigh 3 years of transgressions just becasue you smile hug the coach and get your stats...

SOCALORADO.
01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
People keep mentioning SF as a possible interest grouop.... but they just went though a huge ordeal and spent top money on a WR this last year. They aren't going to dedicate that much money to ONE position. Not when they have a big #1 on the team. IMO, San Fran would be stupid to go after Marshall considering the money they have spent on that position already.

I think its more likely a team like the Jets, Ravens, Titans, or the Jaguars go after Marshall. Maybe Buffalo or the Giants. All seem more likely to go after Marshall than San Fran.

We''ll see, we'll see. Anything can happen and SF could offer up some interesting options in regards to picks and players which could offset their books as well. They are in a transition, and paying 2 1st rounders is expensive no matter what. I wouldnt be suprised if SF was at least in the hunt, but yeah, hell, 3/4 of the NFL teams should be somewhat interested in Marshall, for cryin out loud!!
I would just love for DEN to aquire JAX 1st rounder this year. Jeez, theres some firepower to play with! Of course, a 3rd as well.
The 10th and 11th pick in the draft. Man, that would be expensive, but the players available......;)

Buff
01-07-2010, 06:59 PM
again.. choosing to sit him and choosing to publically question his toughness are TWO different things. Thats what you ar missing, Buff. You said you agree with the benching, and thats fine, but he's saying that telling the media and not keeping it In House wasn't the smart move. Your post keeps poiting out that you agree with the benching, but there wasn't any reason to go to the podium and negatively talk about the player when nothing benefits the team that way.

It's an issue of accountability and integrity... Sure, maybe biting his tongue would have helped his trade value--but what message does that send to his team and B-Marsh when he goes up there and covers for his ass. He owes it to his team NOT to sweep it under the rug. Not to mention it puts all the other guys on notice to shape up.

So I revert back to my previous post where I say that in a perfect world maybe he wouldn't have announced to the world that accountability was an issue... But I have no problem with the fact that he did now that I've heard the rest of the story.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
It's an issue of accountability and integrity... Sure, maybe biting his tongue would have helped his trade value--but what message does that send to his team and B-Marsh when he goes up there and covers for his ass. He owes it to his team NOT to sweep it under the rug. Not to mention it puts all the other guys on notice to shape up.

So I revert back to my previous post where I say that in a perfect world maybe he wouldn't have announced to the world that accountability was an issue... But I have no problem with the fact that he did now that I've heard the rest of the story.

But the benching to his TEAM could have been the same. It would have been no different.... just a difference of going to media.

I guess I don't understand what you are saying, Buff. I'm not intentionally hashing over the same stuff over and over... I just dont' understand. How is it that going to the media is telling the team something that wouldn't be understsood IN the locker room already without having to broadcast it to the talking heads?

**edit**... sorry.. just read the last sentence of yours again.

Buff
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
But the benching to his TEAM could have been the same. It would have been no different.... just a difference of going to media.

Fair enough, I think you have a valid argument... That's the same thing I said when this first happened: "What can we possibly gain by airing our dirty laundry via the media?"

But, I think at some point McD just said "enough is enough, I don't care if I throw him under the bus, I don't care about the trade implications, I'm done with the BS and I'm letting everyone know here and now."

Maybe not ideal, but I certainly don't begrudge him for it.