PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Changes to Broncos' coaching staff likely on the way

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Analysis: Changes to Broncos' coaching staff likely on the way

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post (jlegwold@denverpost.com?subject=The%20Denver%20Po st:%20Analysis:%20Changes%20to%20Broncos'%20coachi ng%20staff%20likely%20on%20the%20way)
Posted: 01/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 01/06/2010 01:01:10 AM MST

After the way November, December and the first Sunday in January transpired for the Broncos, it's clear change again will be the watchword at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.
And while plenty of changes to the roster are expected, it will be stunning if there are not some changes to Josh McDaniels' coaching staff as well.
Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison and running backs coach Bobby Turner will draw interest elsewhere in the NFL. They are holdovers from the Mike Shanahan staff, along with special-teams assistant Keith Burns. Those three were the only Shanahan assistants retained by McDaniels for the Broncos' on-field coaching staff in 2009.
Strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten and his assistant, Greg Saporta, also are holdovers from the Shanahan era in Denver. All will likely be in play when Shanahan formally gets rolling with the Washington Redskins.
Shanahan is expected to hire his son, Kyle, as his offensive coordinator. Dennison will be one of the first people Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak calls to replace Kyle as the Texans' offensive coordinator. Kubiak is looking for a strong voice to coordinate the Texans' running game, and that is something Dennison did on Shanahan's staff in Denver.
Turner was one of Shanahan's longest-tenured assistants, having joined the Broncos in 1995 when Shanahan took over as the team's coach. Shanahan is fond of Turner and considers him the best running backs coach in the NFL, so he will inquire about Turner's availability.
McDaniels has said he would look at whether or not his assistants could take new jobs on a "case-by-case basis."
If Kubiak, who was rebuffed by Shanahan when he tried to hire Dennison in early 2006 to come to the Texans, offers Dennison the job this time around, it would be difficult for the Broncos to say no, because it would be a promotion for their longtime assistant.
Dennison, a Broncos linebacker from 1982-90, interviewed for the team's head coaching job before Denver hired McDaniels.
With the struggles of the Broncos' running game, especially in short-yardage situations, there could be some new faces trying to fix it in 2010.
Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com (jlegwold@denverpost.com)

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14127935#ixzz0bqYAlZHw (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14127935#ixzz0bqYAlZHw)

Traveler
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Wonder who's the best available coach we can get to teach our OL the techniques for the power running scheme JMFMcD wants to install?

EastCoastBronco
01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Wonder who's the best available coach we can get to teach our OL the techniques for the power running scheme JMFMcD wants to install?

Pat should throw the 7 million he's going to save on the Shanny hire and throw it at Alex Gibbs. We'll have a SB caliber O-Line again in 2 years. Money well spent if you ask me. Gibbs and the O-Line are the real reason there are 2 Lombardi's at Dove Valley...

Traveler
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Pat should throw the 7 million he's going to save on the Shanny hire and throw it at Alex Gibbs. We'll have a SB caliber O-Line again in 2 years. Money well spent if you ask me. Gibbs and the O-Line are the real reason there are 2 Lombardi's at Dove Valley...

Why Gibbs? He's a zone blocking guru and can't maintain the daily grind required by coaches in the era of football.

underrated29
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
i HOPe we keep turner. I agree that he is probably the best RB coach in the biz. I dont care that knowshon didnt break 1k or bucky or anything else. He teaches the kids the fundamentals and the right way.....

Almost always the RB under turner became a stud in denver (if starting) their second year....he just needs a year to instill the right things, then the next year they are released......

Not saying knowshon didnt get it this year, because we dont know, he was constantly being attacked 5 yards in the backfield.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
i HOPe we keep turner. I agree that he is probably the best RB coach in the biz. I dont care that knowshon didnt break 1k or bucky or anything else. He teaches the kids the fundamentals and the right way.....

Almost always the RB under turner became a stud in denver (if starting) their second year....he just needs a year to instill the right things, then the next year they are released......

Not saying knowshon didnt get it this year, because we dont know, he was constantly being attacked 5 yards in the backfield.

One thing that concerns me with Moreno though, and I swear I'm not trying to turn this into a Moreno bashing thread, is his vision. Time and time again he seemed to run into a crowd instead of a cutback lane or to the outside. Given Turners success with lesser talent throughout the years I feel confident this isn't on him. Maybe Moreno is running to where the play is designed and not feeling comfortable enough just yet to freelance or even see what is available to him? It seems as though he doesn't have great vision, hopefully this can be learned. I do know Turner has to be considered one of the best, if not the best RB coaches in the league. Maybe he is best suited to coach ZBS running schemes not sure but I certainly am glad he is coaching our RB's and hope he continues in that role.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
One thing that concerns me with Moreno though, and I swear I'm not trying to turn this into a Moreno bashing thread, is his vision. Time and time again he seemed to run into a crowd instead of a cutback lane or to the outside. Given Turners success with lesser talent throughout the years I feel confident this isn't on him. Maybe Moreno is running to where the play is designed and not feeling comfortable enough just yet to freelance or even see what is available to him? It seems as though he doesn't have great vision, hopefully this can be learned. I do know Turner has to be considered one of the best, if not the best RB coaches in the league. Maybe he is best suited to coach ZBS running schemes not sure but I certainly am glad he is coaching our RB's and hope he continues in that role.

I agree. The other thing that bothers me is his tendency to take a hit straight on instead fo turning his shoulders. That seemed to improve as the season went on and I expect that and his vision to improve even more next season

underrated29
01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Its funny because i have seen that too. And the thing that MOST impressed me with knowshon coming out of college was his vision. I thought his vision was superior to pretty much anyone we have seen in a long long long long time.....

I dont know the reason for this lack of vision and suspect we wont find out unless we talk to him about it.....(hey saw him at lodos one time, maybe see him again) if so i will ask.

But its odd no doubt....

My guess is its nerves, or fear of coach yelling at him or something. Nerves, its got to be nerves. I can almost feel it.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM

amen to that, but i don't know that gibbs is interested in being a fulltime coach again. . . if shanahan asks us about bobby turner, mcD should say no-- i know it's selfish and turner has probably earned more from the organization, but he's too much an asset to be let go to make a lateral move. . .

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I dont think Gibbs has been interested in being a full time coach for about 15 years now

honz
01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Fire Nolan.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Steelers fire offensive line coach (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 6, 2010 2:10 PM ET
While offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' fate remains up in the air (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/report-arians-leaked-word-of-his-coming-demise/), the Steelers have reportedly made a decision on another offensive coach.

According to Mike Lombardi of NFL Network, the Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.
(http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-o-line-coach-zierlein/)
The move makes sense; Zierlein's unit has consistently struggled during his three-year tenure as line coach.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is expected to continue meeting with his staff during the week. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson has retired (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach/).

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Steelers fire offensive line coach (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach

/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 6, 2010 2:10 PM ET
While offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' fate remains up in the air (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/report-arians-leaked-word-of-his-coming-demise/), the Steelers have reportedly made a decision on another offensive coach.

According to Mike Lombardi of NFL Network, the Steelers have fired offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.
(http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-o-line-coach-zierlein/)
The move makes sense; Zierlein's unit has consistently struggled during his three-year tenure as line coach.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is expected to continue meeting with his staff during the week. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson has retired (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach/).

:rolleyes:
Do you actually think your titles through, before you type them? Serious question.

Unless I'm DREAMING, Big Ben has been one of the MOST SACKED QB's in the league, the last 3yrs.

You want Orton to succceed or get pummeled?

Wait! Don't answer ^^^. :tsk:

dogfish
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
if shanahan brings gibbs or dennison to the skins, we should go after joe bugel-- dude coached up those hogs lines, he definitely knows how to put together an effective power running game! he obviously hasn't been nearly as successful in his second stint with the team, but they haven't given him jack shit to work with, either. . . in the last five years, they've spent a grand total of ONE pick in the first three rounds on the O-line. . .

it's not a given just yet that they'll let him go, but with joe gibbs long gone and now another coaching change with a more established guy coming in, i'd say there's a decent chance he'll be available. . . it's something to keep an eye on, for sure. . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Do you actually think your titles through, before you type them? Serious question.

Unless I'm DREAMING, Big Ben has been one of the MOST SACKED QB's in the league, the last 3yrs.

That's because he likes to **** around in the pocket and pump fake 800 times in a row, that's his unorthadox style.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM

I pasted this because of the possible Dennison departure and a just became available Oline coach who runs the scheme Mcd likes and won a Super bowl just last season. Not saying he is the perfect candidate, just mentioning his availability.
As for thinking my titles through, there was no title posted to this addition to the thread. Do you think before you type or have you been drinking? Serious question.

Ziggy
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
if shanahan brings gibbs or dennison to the skins, we should go after joe bugel-- dude coached up those hogs lines, he definitely knows how to put together an effective power running game! he obviously hasn't been nearly as successful in his second stint with the team, but they haven't given him jack shit to work with, either. . . in the last five years, they've spent a grand total of ONE pick in the first three rounds on the O-line. . .

it's not a given just yet that they'll let him go, but with joe gibbs long gone and now another coaching change with a more established guy coming in, i'd say there's a decent chance he'll be available. . . it's something to keep an eye on, for sure. . .

Nice call Dog. Bugel has always been one of the best. The Hogs always used to pull those guards around to, which McD loves to do. It would be a nice fit. The Broncos need some serious help along the O-line themselves though. Best case scenario, we need 2 new starters at G and C. If Kuper isn't re-signed, then 3.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice call Dog. Bugel has always been one of the best. The Hogs always used to pull those guards around to, which McD loves to do. It would be a nice fit. The Broncos need some serious help along the O-line themselves though. Best case scenario, we need 2 new starters at G and C. If Kuper isn't re-signed, then 3.

i think bugel coaching up iupati would be a real nice step towards revamping our interior line. . . :D

Lonestar
01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Many here think that we are struggling to run the ball, and that we should do all possible to get back to run first.. Well folks that is not going to happen we will be under Josh a Pass first and pass a lot team, so get used to it.. we will run just enough to keep the D honest.. but when we do run it will be for short yardage situations and ball control when we have a lead..

Time to get used to it.. NE has been successful with running only when they had to, I see no reason to think that will not be carried on here.

Yes, I know that we wasted a#12 on Moreno if that is the case, but when we do run it will be after the passing game has set it up.

the Broncos are not mikes old running team. From this point on.. Moreno was the BAP and they wanted to take some heat off of Orton's first year..

Now that he has a year along with most of the other Offensive players they should rely on the run less...

Dennison and Bobby are both probably gone to be replaced with a real OLINE coach..:eek:

EastCoastBronco
01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
NE always has game planned their offence to the weaknesses of the D they will be facing each week. They aren't a static, this is who we are, try and stop us kind of team. They hit you where you are weak. If the team they are playing has a shitty run D, they pound the damn ball with Maroney, Morris, Taylor and Faulk. If they have a shit pass D, they hit you with Welker, Moss and Aiken. They do what has to be done on a weekly basis. That is why they are elite.

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
i think bugel coaching up iupati would be a real nice step towards revamping our interior line. . . :D

When it's all said and done, I think Iupati will be going in the mid to late first round area. There's no way he drops to our pick in the second unless he comes up with an unjury, arrest, or negative drug test between now and the draft. The only way the Broncos get him is if we trade down in the first. As bad as we need lineman, passing up McClain if he was there at our pick would be a mistake.

dogfish
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
When it's all said and done, I think Iupati will be going in the mid to late first round area. There's no way he drops to our pick in the second unless he comes up with an unjury, arrest, or negative drug test between now and the draft. The only way the Broncos get him is if we trade down in the first. As bad as we need lineman, passing up McClain if he was there at our pick would be a mistake.

this is true-- but by the time the draft rolls around, there's a good chance we'll be in possession of another first courtesy of mr. marshall-- say, maybe a pick in the twenties from the jets or vultures. . . .

claymore
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Your McDaniels is showing.