PDA

View Full Version : champ bailey interview

arapaho2
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1181516

from what i hear, champ pretty much states he never went to mcd and asked him to bench marshall ......was MCD lieing again?

ikillz0mbies
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't think the captains asked him to bench Marshall. Based on the reports, the captains asked him to take a hardline with players who aren't taking accountability for their actions.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think the captains asked him to bench Marshall. Based on the reports, the captains asked him to take a hardline with players who aren't taking accountability for their actions.

Exactly. Look at the time-line. McD said that some of the team leaders came to him on Monday and asked for him to take a hard line on accountability. That they felt there wasn't enough urgency among some of the players (my own paraphrasing there).

On Wednesday they had a team meeting, and made accountability the word for the week.

Then on Thursday or Friday (I can't remember), Marshall was 20 minutes late and McD deactivated him.

When the captains asked for McD to hold the team accountable it wasn't a specific player or players being called out. McD never said it was.

Tned-Mobile
01-05-2010, 10:16 PM

champ pretty much states he never went to mcd and asked him to bench marshall ......was MCD lieing again?

The whole "veterans went to McD and asked him to bench Marshall" is primarily a fan fabrication.

The veterans reportedly went to him and told him that the team needed to be more accountable in preparation for the upcoming game, but I have not seen anywhere where McDaniels said they said to bench Marshall.

arapaho2
01-05-2010, 10:17 PM

but thats exactly what every marshall hater is saying...Bailey and others met with mcd and told him to bench scheff and marshall

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
but thats exactly what every marshall hater is saying...Bailey and others met with mcd and told him to bench scheff and marshall

I haven't seen that on here - maybe I missed it.

dunk7
And here I thought Shanny was the teflon coach...I like how McD passing this off to the team captains

arapaho2
Exactly. Look at the time-line. McD said that some of the team leaders came to him on Monday and asked for him to take a hard line on accountability. That they felt there wasn't enough urgency among some of the players (my own paraphrasing there).

On Wednesday they had a team meeting, and made accountability the word for the week.

Then on Thursday or Friday (I can't remember), Marshall was 20 minutes late and McD deactivated him.

When the captains asked for McD to hold the team accountable it wasn't a specific player or players being called out. McD never said it was.

yet it was a convieniate orginizational leak that started the ...captains went to mcd about players who "dont wanna play"..and so scheff and marshall were de activated..rumor a day befor the game....but that wasnt a clever ruse to point the finger at those two players and away from mcd ?

Broncolingus
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Confident Orton, Bailey, Dawk(?), et al didn't 'ask' for any player to be benched, dismissed, or other...thats the coaches decision.

Captains and players provide input to the boss (coach) to make those decisions, and besides...

...seems like the 'hold players accountable' argument sounds logical and appropriate to me.

JMO...

arapaho2
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I haven't seen that on here - maybe I missed it.

like coach..you must read between the lines to see it

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
The whole "veterans went to McD and asked him to bench Marshall" is primarily a fan fabrication.

The veterans reportedly went to him and told him that the team needed to be more accountable in preparation for the upcoming game, but I have not seen anywhere where McDaniels said they said to bench Marshall.

I don't think it's a fan fabrication. I think it's a media fabrication. They've asked several of the players this exact question several different times, and of course they love getting that "no, we didn't ask for Marshall's benching" answer because it creates controversy and they get to sell more ads.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
yet it was a convieniate orginizational leak that started the ...captains went to mcd about players who "dont wanna play"..and so scheff and marshall were de activated..rumor a day befor the game....but that wasnt a clever ruse to point the finger at those two players and away from mcd ?

Who cares about leaks. Look at what McD has said from the first time he was directly asked about it and what his direct answer was.

You claim the Marshall haters are reading too much between the lines. . .well, I'd say you are doing much the same.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I am listening to Champ's interview now, and he definitely is saying in so many words that Coach McD had enough evidence to do what he did. Maybe you need to listen to it again.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM

So apparently it isn't McD who is lying........

It's the Marshall haters.

ikillz0mbies
01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
What I'm getting from this whole situation regarding the team captains is that they asked the Coach to take actions against players that either didn't want to be part of the team or players that weren't fulfilling the expectations of the Coach. Coach made the decision to bench Marshall and Scheffler because he felt they weren't up to par from what he wanted from his players. From what has come out from the media, it seems that McDaniels benching of the two players are justified.

I have never read any report from the media saying that the captains told him to bench Marshall and Scheffler. This was more of a "you have to put a tighter leash on players whose actions are distracting the team." If McDaniels felt that he had to bench Marshall and Scheffler in a crucial game because of their defiant actions, then so be it.

blamkin86
01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Instead of speculating, you can read the actual article here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792471

According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs.

GEM
01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I am listening to Champ's interview now, and he definitely is saying in so many words that Coach McD had enough evidence to do what he did. Maybe you need to listen to it again.

I was wondering when someone was going to say they actually listened to the interview. Bailey was very open and frank about alot of things in the interview. He didn't call out Marshall by name, but stated that you get paid to do a job and part of that job is showing up on time and working your tail off, both of which "some" players haven't done. He stated that it doesn't matter how talented you are, you are never afforded less work than your TEAMMATES.

Rather than just taking the small little portion that the original poster commented on, take a listen to the interview. Very interesting stuff.

GEM
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM

No...it was the MEDIA that blew it up. Just like they mixed up the Scheff and Marshall info and started all of this bullshit.

Brandon Marshall came out of treatment after being told he was being deactivated due to the injury and the Denver Post reporter Lindsey Jones said, "Would you like to defend yourself?" To which he said, "What?" She then went into him being benched to reasons outside of the injury. Brandon said it himself in last nights interview.

And this is how shit gets all mumbled, blown out of proportion and we lose players.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
No...it was the MEDIA that blew it up. Just like they mixed up the Scheff and Marshall info and started all of this bullshit.

Yeah mixing the two stories was either extremely poor investigative reporting or a deliberate fabrication to make the story jucier.

Either way extremely unprofessional journalism.

dogfish
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I kind of understand. . . You could tell that Brandon, it seemed like Brandon wasn't doing the things necessary for every player on the team to do to make us successful, so. . . he made his decision justifiable by the evidence he had.

As a professional, when you go in and you go to work, you be on time, that's being a professional, being accountable, and if you're late to this, late to that or you're laggin', you're not practicin' hard, regardless of how much talent you have those people have to be punished.

If he feels like he's not giving it his all, then yes, I don't care who you are, you gotta be punished.

I'm one of Shanahan's guys, and he didn't treat me like that. One thing I know is that when I go to work, I know what I put in, and I know the coaches know because I make it plain.

GEM
01-06-2010, 12:04 AM

I was in and out of a grocery store during the interview, he did call Brandon by name, my bad.

I just wish when an interview that telling comes out, people wouldn't post snippets that fit their argument, while completely leaving out the parts that detract from their argument.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I was in and out of a grocery store during the interview, he did call Brandon by name, my bad.

I just wish when an interview that telling comes out, people wouldn't post snippets that fit their argument, while completely leaving out the parts that detract from their argument.

i hope that doesn't mean you expected me to transcribe the whole thing. . . . :lol:

GEM
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
i hope that doesn't mean you expected me to transcribe the whole thing. . . . :lol:

You're damn right I do!! AND the Brandon Marshall from the night before.

Chop Chop!!

:D

camdisco24
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
IMO, alot of this Marshall and T-Scheff stuff got mixed together and the media blindly reported on the story with no real knowledge, just hearsay. I think the captains meeting was about players like Scheff more than players like Marshall. Not saying that Marshall wasnt at fault, but I think his issue got blown out of proportion. We'll just have to see....

(EDIT: Whoops, that was already brought up, i over looked that...)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Brandon Marshall came out of treatment after being told he was being deactivated due to the injury and the Denver Post reporter Lindsey Jones said, "How does it feel to be tossed under the bus by your coach?" To which he said, "What?" She then went into him being benched to reasons outside of the injury. Brandon said it himself in last nights interview.

And this is how shit gets all mumbled, blown out of proportion and we lose players.

Definitely the media messes things up. Last night, Brandon said after Coach got done with the Friday presser, Lindsey Jones IMMEDIATELY went to him, and the first thing she said was "would you like to defend yourself". Brandon said he had no clue what she was even talking about.

GEM
01-06-2010, 12:21 AM
So maybe it's time that we all start filling this Lindsey Jone's mailbox with thank you notes. Thanks for attempting to run Marshall out of town. She just might succeed. All for a story, huh bitch?

Superchop 7
01-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Teams highest paid player tows company line.

OK fine......expected it.

Superchop 7
01-06-2010, 12:38 AM
"Conflict coaching may be used in an organizational context, relationship matters and is one of many conflict management tools for helping people improve their conflict management skills and abilities. Like many other techniques of this nature, it is premised on the view that conflict provides an opportunity to improve relationships, to create mutually satisfactory solutions and attain other positive outcomes when differences arise between and among people."

ikillz0mbies
01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
It's pretty frustrating on how things aren't still clear yet. It could very well be that the issue with Scheffler got lumped in with Marshall's issue and now it all hit the fan. But no one within the organization hasn't cleared any of this up yet. As I've said before, I really want Marshall to stay on the team and it would suck hard if he was traded due to the media blowing it all out of proportion.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
"Conflict coaching may be used in an organizational context, relationship matters and is one of many conflict management tools for helping people improve their conflict management skills and abilities. Like many other techniques of this nature, it is premised on the view that conflict provides an opportunity to improve relationships, to create mutually satisfactory solutions and attain other positive outcomes when differences arise between and among people."

thanks dr. phil. . .

:D

Nomad
01-06-2010, 07:25 AM
It's pretty frustrating on how things aren't still clear yet. It could very well be that the issue with Scheffler got lumped in with Marshall's issue and now it all hit the fan. But no one within the organization hasn't cleared any of this up yet. As I've said before, I really want Marshall to stay on the team and it would suck hard if he was traded due to the media blowing it all out of proportion.

Will they ever be clear?? Probably not, it'll always be a he said- he said thing and I don't believe players will thrown their own under the bus or their coach under the bus. Actually, who gives a rat's ass anyway, the defense wasn't going to let us win that game anyway and Gaffney more than made up for Marshall!! But I believe Marshalls rap sheet doesn't help his defense and Mcdaniels is a first year head coach and Scheffs panties has been in a bunch since his 'boy wonder' moved on to his childhood dreamteam!!

Dirk
01-06-2010, 07:28 AM
So maybe it's time that we all start filling this Lindsey Jone's mailbox with thank you notes. Thanks for attempting to run Marshall out of town. She just might succeed. All for a story, huh bitch?

I love you Gem!! :listen:

Dirk
01-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Teams highest paid player tows company line.

OK fine......expected it.

Dude, do you ever think outside of your hatred for McD box?

claymore
01-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Dude, do you ever think outside of your hatred for McD box?

He's right. You will never hear anything but the company line out of Bailey. Is that bad? only if you want to hear negatives I guess.

I take what Elway, Bailey, Rod Smith say with a grain of salt. The arent going to say anything bad, they are only going to spew sunshine, or tow the line.

Not saying that is bad, it just might not always be the real truth.

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
jesus how the media makes peopel bite hook line and sinker....MCd never said the captians made him bench marshall or sheffler he stated he had a meeting with the capatains and they said take a hardline apporach with regards to preparation for the final game......the media hacks are the ones creating the link here thats why guys like champ are saying we never said that....

MCD never said that either...the DP citing inside sources says that...it just a media ploy people...wake up....

mcd benched marshall after weds stuff, the vet meeting was monday....the timelines dont coincide....otherwise why would he even be allowed to start practice wed...if MCd was told by the vets to bench marshalll....

wake-up people....marshall did something....no one has a clue the full extent, MCd went above the line a bit by saying stuff to the media, who clearly cant be trusted in denver....and now it blew out of proportion....

i mean for christ sakes they are making stories about how the DP cites inside sources that the broncos are actively shopping marshall....

WTF first marshall cant even be traded till march 1st 3 months away, how the hell are they actively shopping him....the media hacks are in full force and bronco fans need to stop biting...

MCD made mistakes, the vets made mistakes, Marshall made mistakes, the whole god damn team wasnt right the second half....

and MCd even took accountability for that saying we can just sit back hoping it will fix itself we have to get this thing fixed....

next year is a whole new year, thats what people need to worry about becasue MCd aint gonna nowhere......

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Definitely the media messes things up. Last night, Brandon said after Coach got done with the Friday presser, Lindsey Jones IMMEDIATELY went to him, and the first thing she said was "would you like to defend yourself". Brandon said he had no clue what she was even talking about.

Lindsey Jones and Frank Schwab have been two of the best Broncos reporters this year, both with good, timely coverage, and they have both been willing to take questions from fans and go to the coach to get them answered.

In this case, the reporters were surprised by Marshall's surprised reaction. They didn't realize they would be breaking this story to Marshall, based on the way McDaniels announced it. McDaniels from the podium, made it clear that Marshall wasn't being deactivated for injury, but as a coach's decision, and then went into his accountability comments.

The only fault here lies with the Broncos FO, as they should have kept internal matters internal. Once they decided to use the press to send a message to their players, then you can't expect the press to not report on it -- seek comment from Brandon.

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Lindsey Jones and Frank Schwab have been two of the best Broncos reporters this year, both with good, timely coverage, and they have both been willing to take questions from fans and go to the coach to get them answered.

In this case, the reporters were surprised by Marshall's surprised reaction. They didn't realize they would be breaking this story to Marshall, based on the way McDaniels announced it. McDaniels from the podium, made it clear that Marshall wasn't being deactivated for injury, but as a coach's decision, and then went into his accountability comments.

The only fault here lies with the Broncos FO, as they should have kept internal matters internal. Once they decided to use the press to send a message to their players, then you can't expect the press to not report on it -- seek comment from Brandon.

lindsey jones is a fraud who cares only about creating stories for propoganda, she doesnt actively report anything of substance....im sorry man she is a complete hack....

the media took this, spun it and ran with it, granted MCd errored in a big way letting the media even have a chnace at this by opening it in a presser, but the media is spinning this into oblivion right now...

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Sure glad the team captains influenced Mcd's coaching decisions, that "team players" team Mcd fielded on Sunday sure took it to the Chiefs.....wait....we were blown out...scratch that

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Just my observations...

I dont think it was ever printed anywhere that team leaders ASKED McD to bench Marshall and Sheff. At least I never saw it with that spin...

I HAVE seen posts here where that info was falsely typed. Cant recall by who, but I'll agree I've seen it posted by "Marshall haters" and "McD lovers"

I find it interesting that as soon as a respected veteran stands up for his coach and agrees with his actions, he's suddenly a corporate "yes" man.

Like I said before. NOTHING will make the McD haters look at him any differently. Everyone on the team, including Marshall could stand up and defend him and some fans will accuse the organization of making them do it

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Sure glad the team captains influenced Mcd's coaching decisions, that "team players" team Mcd fielded on Sunday sure took it to the Chiefs.....wait....we were blown out...scratch that

Players telling a coach what they'd like to see and the coach doing it are 2 different things. It's not like McD needs the leaders to tell him to make a decision to bench a player. If I recall...he's made that decision previously on his own.

Good grief

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM

those same team captains forgot how to play as well....orton, dj, champ and dawkins all had a terrible game....

Dirk
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM

Gaff's production was spot on IMO in replacement of BMarsh for that one game.

Could BMarsh have gotten some more YAC? Probably. The only way that BMarsh and Scheff being deactivated could have caused the Broncos to lose is if it got into the heads of the entire defense to where they just didn't tackle and allowed Charles to run wild on them.

Which I don't think it could have.

Outside of Orton throwing the INTs (which was crushing) the Offense did enough to win the game. The defense laid an egg.

Didn't matter anyway, if the Broncos would have won they still wouldn't have been in the playoffs right?

Now, hopefully they all put that behind them (along with the fans) and get to work on next year. Which will be a pivotal year to see how McD is going to do. They must show improvement. Period.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I am and have been very critical of Mcd but the critisim I have for him will be based on the 2009 season. I like what he has had to say about the future but proof will be in the pudding as the year progresses. It's two different subjects as far as I am concerned. If he keeps repeating the same mistakes then he's just digging his own grave and I'll be critical during that regression. If not, I'll eat my crow and love every minute of it. Until then I'll watch every press conference, read every story and watch every game..............

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 08:23 AM
lindsey jones is a fraud who cares only about creating stories for propoganda, she doesnt actively report anything of substance....im sorry man she is a complete hack....

the media took this, spun it and ran with it, granted MCd errored in a big way letting the media even have a chnace at this by opening it in a presser, but the media is spinning this into oblivion right now...

You expect the press to NOT run with a bombshell that McDaniels drops at a press conference? :confused:

This isn't like he slipped with one poorly chosen word that they then twisted and ran with, the guy took one of his players, through him under the bus, and then paid the bus driver to back up and run him over again.

As Schlereth and others have said, Coaches simply don't accuse/insinuate that their players are faking injuries.

I know for those that defend McD at all costs, it's easy to blame the media for McDaniel's mistake, but come on...

Dirk
01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Sure McD has made plenty of mistakes and I'm not a McD basher or banner waver.

I have critisized his thought of running it up the gut too often when they just couldn't do it.

But I give coach the benefit of the doubt when it comes to deactivations. I mean even if his ego is over inflated, he WANTS to win and if he felt that these 2 weren't in it to win it...then I back his decision to do what he did.

We all still don't know the complete story and probably never will.

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 08:31 AM

I have critisized his thought of running it up the gut too often when they just couldn't do it.

But I give coach the benefit of the doubt when it comes to deactivations. I mean even if his ego is over inflated, he WANTS to win and if he felt that these 2 weren't in it to win it...then I back his decision to do what he did.

For the most part, people that have been critical of McDanaiels this week (including ex-players) have been critical of him for airing dirtly laundry in public, not simply for deactivating two players.

Marshall was likely going to miss the game with injury, anyway. Schefler typically isn't used much, and the coach obviously decided he wasn't needed to win.

However, McDaniels and McDaniels alone decided to slam those players via the media, so nobody can give him a pass and blame the players/media for the blowup that followed.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I guess I just dont buy into the story that the guy that runs up the field pumping his fist when we make a great play, or the guy that chews out his team for playing poorly...would simply bench his best player because another player asked him to do it.

claymore
01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I guess I just dont buy into the story that the guy that runs up the field pumping his fist when we make a great play, or the guy that chews out his team for playing poorly...would simply bench his best player because another player asked him to do it.

I dont think he can control his emotions. He is to young.

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
You expect the press to NOT run with a bombshell that McDaniels drops at a press conference? :confused:

This isn't like he slipped with one poorly chosen word that they then twisted and ran with, the guy took one of his players, through him under the bus, and then paid the bus driver to back up and run him over again.

As Schlereth and others have said, Coaches simply don't accuse/insinuate that their players are faking injuries.

I know for those that defend McD at all costs, it's easy to blame the media for McDaniel's mistake, but come on...

i even said granted MCd messed up, how did you miss that....i dont blame the media for grabbing it thats there job, but i do blame them for spinning side stories with no bearing and creating hypothetical and non existent conspiracies surrounding team captains, trades and otehr crap.....

im dont take fault from MCd at all for airing dirty laundry in public, that was a no no. and i think he got that....

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
For the most part, people that have been critical of McDanaiels this week (including ex-players) have been critical of him for airing dirtly laundry in public, not simply for deactivating two players.

Marshall was likely going to miss the game with injury, anyway. Schefler typically isn't used much, and the coach obviously decided he wasn't needed to win.

However, McDaniels and McDaniels alone decided to slam those players via the media, so nobody can give him a pass and blame the players/media for the blowup that followed.

Did he "slam" them or bench them? If he had benched them...the media would have asked why. So what does he do? Lie and say it was injury or make the players accountable by telling the truth? It's only my opinion, but I think the players take it more seriously if they are not only held accountable by the team, but also publicly. I think the issue sinks a bit deeper.

How they choose to react after that is up to them. So far, it seems Marshall is handling it like a man.

claymore
01-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Deactivations are one thing but Deactivating a unstable player that you are TRADING/giving a high tender too and then opening your mouth about why you did it is RETARDEDDDDDDDDD.

Hide Marshall on the injury report and tell everyone what a great guy he is. It does the DENVER BRONCOS nothing by deactivating besmudging his charectar even further.

claymore
01-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Did he "slam" them or bench them? If he had benched them...the media would have asked why. So what does he do? Lie and say it was injury or make the players accountable by telling the truth? It's only my opinion, but I think the players take it more seriously if they are not only held accountable by the team, but also publicly. I think the issue sinks a bit deeper.

How they choose to react after that is up to them. So far, it seems Marshall is handling it like a man.

Hide him on the injury report. Above the turf injury. thats all that needed to be said.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Hide him on the injury report. Above the turf injury. thats all that needed to be said.

It's kind of like raising a kid. if I were in a restaurant, i could take my kid outside or in the bathroom and pop him in the ass if he was acting up. Might do good...might not. but I cant tell you how many times it worked better for me to look at them and say "keep it up and I'll pop your ass in front of all these people". Sometimes the embarrassment alone would work.

So what works better with prima donna football players? (Yes, Marshall fits this category)

Making their screw-ups public...or hiding their punishment on an injury report? Personally, I like that he makes the players accountable to the team AND the fans. But everyone has a different opinion on that and that's perfectly fine.

but at the end of the day, that's all it is...a difference of opinion. not a written in stone poor coaching decision

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:05 AM

With Marshall, there was no need to say anything beyond "he's getting treatment and it will be a game time decision." On Scheffler, who knows. He could have just made him a surprise deactivation on Sunday.

What McD should not have done (I don't have transcripts in front of me), is say that there are other players on the team playing with worse injuries than Marshall. He isn't being deactivated due to injury, but as a coaches decision, etc.

It simply does nothing to help the team. It creates a firestorm in the press that the other players have to deal with. It potentially hurts Marshall's trade value. And, as Schlereth and other ex-players have been saying, head coaches simply don't publicly question a player's injury.

So, in answer to your question, he slammed Marshall. If he felt, God knows why, that he must announce the deactivation on Friday, then he could simply have said, "Marshall will be inactive on Sunday." When asked why, he could have said, "as you know he has a hamstring injury, that and other factors led to my decision. Moving on." Or something like that.

I'm surprised that you think his public comments were ok.

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
It's kind of like raising a kid. if I were in a restaurant, i could take my kid outside or in the bathroom and pop him in the ass if he was acting up. Might do good...might not. but I cant tell you how many times it worked better for me to look at them and say "keep it up and I'll pop your ass in front of all these people". Sometimes the embarrassment alone would work.

So what works better with prima donna football players? (Yes, Marshall fits this category)

Making their screw-ups public...or hiding their punishment on an injury report? Personally, I like that he makes the players accountable to the team AND the fans. But everyone has a different opinion on that and that's perfectly fine.

but at the end of the day, that's all it is...a difference of opinion. not a written in stone poor coaching decision

For your analogy to work, rather than tell your kids you were going to pop them their in the restaraunt, you would have climbed on your chair, grabbed a knife and glass (or something to make noise) and then said, "excuse me. Ladies and gentlemen, excuse me. I have a short announcement. I wanted to let you know that my son is not acting the way he should. While plenty of your kids are behaving just fine, mine is not. If he continues to act up, I will pop him in the head, which he deserves. Before we came to the restaurant, I told him I expect him to behave, but as you can see, he isn't..."

Or something like that. The firestorm that happened wasn't just because Marshall was benched, it was because of how McDaniels did it. If it wasn't so unusual, it wouldn't have made national sports news so quickly.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
With Marshall, there was no need to say anything beyond "he's getting treatment and it will be a game time decision." On Scheffler, who knows. He could have just made him a surprise deactivation on Sunday.

What McD should not have done (I don't have transcripts in front of me), is say that there are other players on the team playing with worse injuries than Marshall. He isn't being deactivated due to injury, but as a coaches decision, etc.

It simply does nothing to help the team. It creates a firestorm in the press that the other players have to deal with. It potentially hurts Marshall's trade value. And, as Schlereth and other ex-players have been saying, head coaches simply don't publicly question a player's injury.

So, in answer to your question, he slammed Marshall. If he felt, God knows why, that he must announce the deactivation on Friday, then he could simply have said, "Marshall will be inactive on Sunday." When asked why, he could have said, "as you know he has a hamstring injury, that and other factors led to my decision. Moving on." Or something like that.

I'm surprised that you think his public comments were ok.

I'm not completely defending the entire situation. What I'm saying is I have no problem with a coach saying "this player will not be playing today due to conduct detrimental to the team".

If McD can be quoted somewhere as saying...in not so many words..."this player isnt playing because he lied about an injury, skipped out of practice early and was late to an appointment". if he said something along those lines directly to the media, I must have missed that article. Please direct me to it

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm not completely defending the entire situation. What I'm saying is I have no problem with a coach saying "this player will not be playing today due to conduct detrimental to the team".

If McD can be quoted somewhere as saying...in not so many words..."this player isnt playing because he lied about an injury, skipped out of practice early and was late to an appointment". if he said something along those lines directly to the media, I must have missed that article. Please direct me to it

I'll find the transcript. He said there are other players playing on Sunday that have worse injuries than Marshall. Give me a sec to find.

claymore
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM

If your trying to sell a car, you dont tell the potential buyer about the time you drank a 12 pack and smoked the transmission.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
For your analogy to work, rather than tell your kids you were going to pop them their in the restaraunt, you would have climbed on your chair, grabbed a knife and glass (or something to make noise) and then said, "excuse me. Ladies and gentlemen, excuse me. I have a short announcement. I wanted to let you know that my son is not acting the way he should. While plenty of your kids are behaving just fine, mine is not. If he continues to act up, I will pop him in the head, which he deserves. Before we came to the restaurant, I told him I expect him to behave, but as you can see, he isn't..."

Or something like that. The firestorm that happened wasn't just because Marshall was benched, it was because of how McDaniels did it. If it wasn't so unusual, it wouldn't have made national sports news so quickly.

If TO farts, Ochocino burps and Larry Johnson snores...it makes the national news. Like it or not...Marshall worked his way into being lumped with that group.

...and I dont think my analogy would need to go to that extreme. I'm still looking for the part where McD held a press conference to announce all this. I must have missed that part.

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Since it wasn't a Monday/Wednesday presser, DB.com doesn't have the transcripts, but here are a couple of the quotes:

"It will be a coaching decision," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels this morning. "There's a number of factors that go into that."

"There's a lot of players that play with things that are more difficult to play with than what he has," said McDaniels.

Dirk
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Deactivations are one thing but Deactivating a unstable player that you are TRADING/giving a high tender too and then opening your mouth about why you did it is RETARDEDDDDDDDDD.

Hide Marshall on the injury report and tell everyone what a great guy he is. It does the DENVER BRONCOS nothing by deactivating besmudging his charectar even further.

Maybe he did that to lesson his value in order to keep him for next year? :confused:

I know in my own twisted thinking that it wasn't that but....you never know. :lol:

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I I'm still looking for the part where McD held a press conference to announce all this. I must have missed that part.

Apparently, you did miss it. It was on New Years day. He said that Marshall was going to be deactivated. it wasn't, because of injury, it was a coaches decision. He said other players will be playing with injuries worse than Marshall's. He then went into his accountability thing.

claymore
01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe he did that to lesson his value in order to keep him for next year? :confused:

I know in my own twisted thinking that it wasn't that but....you never know. :lol:

Its a possibility, but as a fan, I dont want an immature HC, coupled with an HeadCase WR. Especially when BM is our whole game plan.

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Here's a little more:

He missed Thursday's practice, and when asked if his star receiver would work out Friday, McDaniels said Marshall would be deactivated for the game and noted it was "a coaching decision," not an injury issue."

"There's a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things that are much more difficult to deal with than what he has," McDaniels said, a phrase he repeated three times during his news conference.

"It's never going to be acceptable while I'm here and while this staff is here and while we're trying to build our staff with this philosophy. I don't know if it was acceptable before, but it isn't going to be now and it never will be. And this isn't about sending a message, it's about fielding a team that wants to go out there and win and give us the best opportunity to do that."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14106839#ixzz0bqHXNqQF

Dirk
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Its a possibility, but as a fan, I dont want an immature HC, coupled with an HeadCase WR. Especially when BM is our whole game plan.

I agree in part. BMarsh is a very valuable assest on the field, but Gaff showed that others can be also.

McD showed a lot of immature and questionable moves, but he also showed a lot of good things.

We have to remember that this was his first year being a HC. He will need to learn.

What will make him a great HC is if he can take the good and make it great and take the bad and improve on it.

Calling for his head after the first year is just rediculous. I wanted the playoffs as much as anyone, but being realistic I understand it was his first year.

He will get better and make adjustments. If not, he won't be in Denver long. But with his background and desire to win, I believe he will learn from this year and become a great HC.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Well, I am more informed...but at the end of the day...did it do any harm? Everyone talks about hurting his value...why are we assuming he'll be let go?

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Well, I am more informed...but at the end of the day...did it do any harm? Everyone talks about hurting his value...why are we assuming he'll be let go?

Here's the video. The first question is about Brandon and it being a "coaches" decision and about other players playing with worse injuries than Marshall.

Also, through the rest of the interview, it comes back to the topic multiple times.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3721&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

When asked about Marshall getting hut in practice, he repeats the "there are a lot of players that will play with much worse than that"

Plenty more backhanded digs at Marshall through rest of the interview, such as "other guys on the team dieing to get out their and play"

Tned-Mobile
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Also, in the video, when he is asked something like "what exactly did he or didn't he do to cause you to deactivate him"

McDaniels says, as I have said a number of times. "there are a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things much more difficult than he has." "not going into all that, I'm just telling you it is what it is and it isn't something we are going to accept".

This is why Schlereth and other players are calling him out. In the NFL, you simply don't accuse players of faking/milking an injury, which is basically what he's doing.

claymore
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Also, in the video, when he is asked something like "what exactly did he or didn't he do to cause you to deactivate him"

McDaniels says, as I have said a number of times. "there are a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things much more difficult than he has." "not going into all that, I'm just telling you it is what it is and it isn't something we are going to accept".

This is why Schlereth and other players are calling him out. In the NFL, you simply don't accuse players of faking/milking an injury, which is basically what he's doing.

Especially the last game of the year right before you try to unload him for picks.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Here's the thing though. Did he accuse Marshall of faking an injury?

I can see why that assumption was made. The press came into that press conference with Marshall's injury on their mind wondering if he'd be able to play, and then McDaniels says that he's been deactivated.

When asked why he says it was a coach's decision.

Then, understandably the reporters get very curious as to why. Ask more about the injury.

McDaniels gives a poorly worded, not well-thought out answer. He basically tries to say it's not the injury without trying to make a big deal out of it and says, not it's not the injury, other guys willl play with worse, which is very likely true since Marshall wasn't being benched for the injury, but instead for accountability.

McD goes into the team meeting on Wednesday, and how they made accountability the key word, and how players who didn't want to be accountable wouldn't play.

At this point, the press corps and even myself assume that McD is saying essentially that Marshall is faking an injury. . .well, when you really look at what he said, he didn't say that. However, his response in which he tried not to put the whole story out there led to that misunderstanding.

As it sits, the only thing I can see to be critical of is how McD handled the press on this one, and that it possibly hurt Brandon's trade value. However, I've said it before, I'm not ever going to get upset at someone when they are telling the truth, and it appears that McD was trying to be honest on the situation telling the press that BM was not being benched due to injury but instead due to a coach's decision. Unfortunately, without the whole story, the press (and us) made the assumption that McD was saying that BM was faking his injury. . . and looking back, he didn't say that. But if he would have chosen his words more carefully he could have avoided the misconception.

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Personally, I dont have a problem with this..."there are a number of players that are going to play on Sunday with things much more difficult than he has." "not going into all that, I'm just telling you it is what it is and it isn't something we are going to accept".

Hell...I think more coaches should do that. One of 2 things is going to happen. Either he'll be a man and step up and make sure this never happens again...or he'll be a 2 year old and pull a TO/Ochocinco.

Either way...I dont think McD has any intention of getting rid of him unless Marshall refuses to play. i havent heard that yet, so I dont think hurting trade value is an issue...and I dont think it hurts anything. If you tender him high...it doesnt matter

Traveler
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Both JMFMcD and Brandon share fault IMO.

This situation with BM reminds me of the incident with Bill Parcells and Terry Glenn. For those that don't remember, Glenn had been missing practice because of hamstring issues. Parcells has always been known to be intolerant of players that wouldn't play with sore hamstrings. So much so, he used to fine players for each day of practice missed due to such complaints. If it wasn't torn, you were expected to practice and play through it.

Anyway, when asked by the media about Glenn's status, he referred to Glenn as "she" and maintained that Glenn would continue to be evaluated. Glenn wasn't deactivated and played well IIRC. Parcells didn't get blasted by the media, but he also had the credentials to get away with something like that.

I mention this only because the only difference with the Marshall and Glenn situation was Marshall was benched and Glenn wasn't. Parcells calls the player out in the press the same as JMFMcD did. What JMFMcD said was true. There were players on this team that were playing with injuries more significant than BM's tweak of his hamstring.

Marshall has a history of not wanting to play with a sore hamstring. Shanahan at one point had to shame him into practicing in training camp because his hamstring was sore.

Anyway, all this won't matter in a couple of months since BM will no longer be here. Hopefully, we get full value in picks or players.

rationalfan
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
this is hilarious. people on a board that regularly misinterprets facts, spreads incorrect info and rarely reacts without bias are criticizing the media for audacious spin of a story. get real, people. everyone on this board (myself included) is guilty of what you're blaming the media for.

also, getting back to the topic, much of this debate has been about the semantics of who said what. the most important thing champ said in the interview is (i'm paraphrasing) "we need to make sure the players want to be on the team." take off fanboy goggles for a minute and think about it, do you really want to defend any player that doesn't want to play for or support the broncos?

going to back to the root of the McD/Cutler fiasco, so many people are still hung up on the idea that the coach drove the player out. but rarely does the idea that cutler didn't want to play for this team, its fan or the city come up. forget the he said/he said BS. loyalty and devotion should be the keywords of this offseason; not division and self-importance.

now, feel free to spin my comments to fit your needs, then complain about how i misquoted you.

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
this is hilarious. people on a board that regularly misinterprets facts, spreads incorrect info and rarely reacts without bias are criticizing the media for audacious spin of a story. get real, people. everyone on this board (myself included) is guilty of what you're blaming the media for.

also, getting back to the topic, much of this debate has been about the semantics of who said what. the most important thing champ said in the interview is (i'm paraphrasing) "we need to make sure the players want to be on the team." take off fanboy goggles for a minute and think about it, do you really want to defend any player that doesn't want to play for or support the broncos?

going to back to the root of the McD/Cutler fiasco, so many people are still hung up on the idea that the coach drove the player out. but rarely does the idea that cutler didn't want to play for this team, its fan or the city come up. forget the he said/he said BS. loyalty and devotion should be the keywords of this offseason; not division and self-importance.

now, feel free to spin my comments to fit your needs, then complain about how i misquoted you.

the media is also a direct reason for why people here spin stuff...so unless your woody paige i dont see your point....

and if i got paid like media heads do(WE dont so who cares what we say we arent in a position like they are)....i certainly would do my best to find legit stuff...but thats just my character i guess....

as for the rest of what you wrote...good points!!!!....

rationalfan
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
the media is also a direct reason for why people here spin stuff...so unless your woody paige i dont see your point....

and if i got paid like media heads do(WE dont so who cares what we say we arent in a position like they are)....i certainly would do my best to find legit stuff...but thats just my character i guess....

as for the rest of what you wrote...good points!!!!....

you're underscoring the idea that media doesn't present the "right" facts. as i see it, the problem sports fans have with the media is that people don't find their fandom represented in objective articles. meanwhile, subjective takes on issues from columnists/bloggers/radio goons are criticized for not mirroring a fan's opinions. thus, fans will never be happy.

another interesting item is that sports fans demand more breaking news and in-depth coverage than any other media-hungry demographic outside of the political spectrum. that is why sports writers often cite "unnamed sources" in stories, to spread the information to readers as fast as possible (getting that info on record could take days, weeks). yet, the people who want that news ASAP criticize it when the whole story wasn't presented during the process to appease them. it's a fun bit of irony.

and, back to your post, just because people on here aren't paid to write doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable when spreading incorrect information.

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
you're underscoring the idea that media doesn't present the "right" facts. as i see it, the problem sports fans have with the media is that people don't find their fandom represented in objective articles. meanwhile, subjective takes on issues from columnists/bloggers/radio goons are criticized for not mirroring a fan's opinions. thus, fans will never be happy.

another interesting item is that sports fans demand more breaking news and in-depth coverage than any other media-hungry demographic outside of the political spectrum. that is why sports writers often cite "unnamed sources" in stories, to spread the information to readers as fast as possible (getting that info on record could take days, weeks). yet, the people who want that news ASAP criticize it when the whole story wasn't presented during the process to appease them. it's a fun bit of irony.

and, back to your post, just because people on here aren't paid to write doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable when spreading incorrect information.

again good points, but that doesnt apply to everyone only a select minorit y have i seen that from here...and lately objectivity hasnt been normal when it comes to this consiparcy type stuff...

and yes people tend to twist stuff to fit there views, but i see media trying to find links that arent there simply becasue they no longer have anything football related to write about now that the season has ended and thats wrong and they should be accountable...

as for people on thsi board spreading wrong info....thats wrong as well ,b u tfor me its alot easier to ignore than a national media outlet....its easy to ignore a post here much more than not read news, look at the internet, or TV all day eventually if your a sports fan crap like whats going on now spreads out...

Traveler
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm just sad that we're already talking about the offeseason stuff when we had a really good opportunity to talk about our playoff opponent.

Just sayin'.....

Elevation inc
01-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm just sad that we're already talking about the offeseason stuff when we had a really good opportunity to talk about our playoff opponent.

Just sayin'.....

dont remind us...:tsk::lol:

LawDog
01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Here is my question regarding the whole Captains/Coach mtg on Monday. Coach comes into town, wants to set up Patriots West where everyone is loyal, team-oriented, etc. and brings in some old Patriots guys and other vets to instill that philosophy. Starts in camp, right? Why then are the team Captains getting together and saying "here we are in week 17 before the last game of the season, at home, against a divisional opponent, with playoff implications - let's go talk to Coach and make sure he takes a hard-line with the team this week and really prepare for this game"???

That's a head-scratcher. What have they been doing all season? They shouldn't have to have had that conversation at the end of the season at all. Where were they after Baltimore? After Pittsburgh? After Washington? The wheels had already flown off the cart by that point. The last game of the season? Nothing the Captains say, or the Coach does is going to have any real impact on the way the season turns out. And as it was, the "team" rolled over and gave it up.

Whatever happened after the Monday meeting with BMarsh and Scheff doesn't really make much difference to me. The real problem goes much deeper and started much earlier than that.

That's what bugs me about this whole story.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2010/01/13405/broncos-blog/champ-bailey-okay-with-marshall-benching/

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall’s idea of “clearing the air” Monday apparently left Mile High City with a bit of unsettled dust. Champ Bailey was happy to clean it up.

Appearing on FM 104.3 The Fan Tuesday, Bailey offered objective clarity to the Marshall-McDaniels situation. His message: Marshall had it coming.

“It seemed like Brandon wasn’t doing the things necessary for every player on the team to do to make us successful,” Bailey said.

Bailey was a Broncos team captain in 2009, and it was clear he wasn’t eager to criticize his teammate of four years. His tone wasn’t that of someone placing blame or pointing fingers, but he was offering honest candor.

For instance, when asked if the punishment fit the crime, Bailey paused before saying head coach Josh McDaniels certainly had the right to do something.

“I don’t know what the punishment should have been,” said Bailey. “He (McDaniels) has the decision to make, that’s why he’s the head coach. If he feels like (Marshall’s) not giving it his all, I don’t care who you are. You gotta be punished.”

Bailey also quickly dismissed the notion that McDaniels was singling out holdovers from the Mike Shanahan regime, pointing out that he and others got along fine with the rookie coach.

“I’m one of Shanahan’s guys, and he (McDaniels) didn’t treat me like that,” said Bailey. “One thing I know is that when I go to work, I know what I put in, and I know the coaches know because I make it seen.”

Finally, despite their issues, Bailey said he would welcome Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler back to the Broncos in 2010 if that was what they desired.

“You gotta make sure they want to be on the team If they do, that’s great.”

With no agenda of his own, Bailey’s interview was a refreshing, albeit short, no-BS look into what went wrong between receiver and coach late in the season. And since his motives weren’t twisted by self-serving PR rehabilitation, his words are the ones we choose to believe.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
that doesn't mean anything, mcD paid him to say that!

[/Claymore]

CoachChaz
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Here is my question regarding the whole Captains/Coach mtg on Monday. Coach comes into town, wants to set up Patriots West where everyone is loyal, team-oriented, etc. and brings in some old Patriots guys and other vets to instill that philosophy. Starts in camp, right? Why then are the team Captains getting together and saying "here we are in week 17 before the last game of the season, at home, against a divisional opponent, with playoff implications - let's go talk to Coach and make sure he takes a hard-line with the team this week and really prepare for this game"???

That's a head-scratcher. What have they been doing all season? They shouldn't have to have had that conversation at the end of the season at all. Where were they after Baltimore? After Pittsburgh? After Washington? The wheels had already flown off the cart by that point. The last game of the season? Nothing the Captains say, or the Coach does is going to have any real impact on the way the season turns out. And as it was, the "team" rolled over and gave it up.

Whatever happened after the Monday meeting with BMarsh and Scheff doesn't really make much difference to me. The real problem goes much deeper and started much earlier than that.

That's what bugs me about this whole story.

If I recall correctly, the team captains/leaders spoke with McD about taking a hardline approach as the team embarked on the playoffs. it would be kind of silly to make that specific request Week 1 or 7 or 10

claymore
01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
that doesn't mean anything, mcD paid him to say that!

[/Claymore]

He says the right things. Bailey is the ultimate company man.

LawDog
01-06-2010, 03:11 PM
If I recall correctly, the team captains/leaders spoke with McD about taking a hardline approach as the team embarked on the playoffs. it would be kind of silly to make that specific request Week 1 or 7 or 10

I could go back and dig up quotes, but I'm pretty sure that it was directed specifically at the Chiefs game.

GEM
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
He says the right things. Bailey is the ultimate company man.

It doesn't matter what anyone says. McD could say the sky was blue and you would say he was wrong, it's green.

That company guy isn't going to open up on air about anything that isn't true. He's a player and a teammate. If Bailey got let go tomorrow there would be teams lined up for his services. It isn't just some Joe Schmoe trying to make a name for himself with the company.

JDL
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, this is the last year of Bailey's deal.

He's due 12.5mil dollars in his final year.

Anyone think he is gonna be dealt? Maybe back to Washington where Shanahan absolutely adores the guy.

I personally hope not, the secondary is not one of the issues, but the Patriots weren't known for breaking the bank on players.... and so, a lot depends on the CBA... as to whether the team feels a need to make a decision now... or if they'll wait til next year... BUT if they feel like they can't meet his demands (the highest paid CB in the league most likely), then what would prevent them from trading him? rather than only getting 1 more year of service.

I've always said pay the guy, he isn't part of the problem - he hasn't been nearly as good the last 2 years between injuries and other things, but being the 10th-12th best CB isn't a bad thing and I'm sure he has plenty of football left and could conceivably regain his hall of fame form. Good leader (not team leader - he is no Dawkins, just more of a good vet presence) and you can't have enough of those guys, maybe he'll somehow find a way to get through to Alphonso Smith.

claymore
01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
It doesn't matter what anyone says. McD could say the sky was blue and you would say he was wrong, it's green.

That company guy isn't going to open up on air about anything that isn't true. He's a player and a teammate. If Bailey got let go tomorrow there would be teams lined up for his services. It isn't just some Joe Schmoe trying to make a name for himself with the company.

I didnt like bailey before I even knew who JMCD was. I know he will always say the right thing. So, I take what he says with a grain of salt. Same with Elway, Rod Smith etc...

LawDog
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Yep, directed at the Chiefs game...

"... team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, D.J. Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792471

arapaho2
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

if you know your motor needs oil...why wait until the thing starts knocking before adding some

GEM
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I didnt like bailey before I even knew who JMCD was. I know he will always say the right thing. So, I take what he says with a grain of salt. Same with Elway, Rod Smith etc...

Heaven forbid he isn't a drama king, he's a consummate professional and he answers questions without tiptoeing around like a ballerina. I'd call that professional, not a company man.

GEM
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
if you know your motor needs oil...why wait until the thing starts knocking before adding some

These guys can't win for losing in some eyes. Either way they're ******.

claymore
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Heaven forbid he isn't a drama king, he's a consummate professional and he answers questions without tiptoeing around like a ballerina. I'd call that professional, not a company man.

Call it whatever, but I know I will never get any perspective other than whats best for the Organization.

Thats fine. I want that. But when it comes to getting in the dirt and really find out whats going on, I know its not going to come from him.

Same when Shanahan was here.

I hated Plummer (not really hate but really dont like him) but I will stand up and listen to what he has to say cause I know he wont bite his tongue.

Elway, I never read what he has to say cause its all fluff pro organization shit that I can read anytime. And I love that SOB.

arapaho2
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
These guys can't win for losing in some eyes. Either way they're ******.

i dont know what your getting at

either way what im saying is...its not exactly like we been winning lately..we were 2-8 in the last ten weeks...if we had players taking it easy...not careing...that shoulda showed up weeks ago...like on our 4 game losing streak

if its the truth ...TO LITTLE..TO LATE if you ask me

LawDog
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
i dont know what your getting at

either way what im saying is...its not exactly like we been winning lately..we were 2-8 in the last ten weeks...if we had players taking it easy...not careing...that shoulda showed up weeks ago...like on our 4 game losing streak

if its the truth ...TO LITTLE..TO LATE if you ask me

That's the point I was trying to make...

rationalfan
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
regarding bailey's supposed "company line" attitude:

to preview champ's first game with the broncos after the portis trade espn ran a feature on the debate/merit of the trade. the feature ended on this champ quote (paraphrased from memory), "i know people are upset because they think denver traded a special player. but i think i'm pretty special too."

he said that in a relaxed tone, full of confidence but lacking hubris. that's bailey's attitude. he doesn't reach for hyperbole. he doesn't over-emote. he doesn't speak in cautious tones. i've always found his interviews to be very open and honest, but also polite and rational. if he sounds like a "company man" it's because he seems to think about the team as a whole, not just his contract or his stats.

Northman
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
All i know is, if Champ Bailey had come out and blasted McDaniels certain individuals would be saying he is just being honest. If it doesnt fit your agenda it must mean he is lying. lol

Ravage!!!
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
regarding bailey's supposed "company line" attitude:

to preview champ's first game with the broncos after the portis trade espn ran a feature on the debate/merit of the trade. the feature ended on this champ quote (paraphrased from memory), "i know people are upset because they think denver traded a special player. but i think i'm pretty special too."

he said that in a relaxed tone, full of confidence but lacking hubris. that's bailey's attitude. he doesn't reach for hyperbole. he doesn't over-emote. he doesn't speak in cautious tones. i've always found his interviews to be very open and honest, but also polite and rational. if he sounds like a "company man" it's because he seems to think about the team as a whole, not just his contract or his stats.

I agree.. Bailey is a class act. But... it wasn't that many years ago that we were able to trade FOR Champ because he was thinking about his contract.

arapaho2
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
All i know is, if Champ Bailey had come out and blasted McDaniels certain individuals would be saying he is just being honest. If it doesnt fit your agenda it must mean he is lying. lol

al i know is if bailey came out and blasted mcd...certain individules would be calling him a cancer

Northman
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
al i know is if bailey came out and blasted mcd...certain individules would be calling him a cancer

Nah, he doesnt have that kind of history. Nice try though.

arapaho2
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Nah, he doesnt have that kind of history. Nice try though.

wrong....it would be...the guy forced his way from the skins by wanting more money...last year he threw his teammates under the bus by saying they wernt trying hard as others

there would be a way ..its all in the eye of the beholder

Northman
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
wrong....it would be...the guy forced his way from the skins by wanting more money...last year he threw his teammates under the bus by saying they wernt trying hard as others

there would be a way ..its all in the eye of the beholder

Ok, so your making my arguement for me. That works. So, he was honest when he said he wanted to get paid. He was honest when he said his teammates needed to step up (just like he did when he went to McD recently). So, here we have two examples you have brought forth of Champ being honest and not towing company line yet he is doing the same thing here and all of a sudden he is not being honest? :lol: Um, ok. Like i said, you have an agenda and therefore are pretending that all of a sudden he is lying.

LawDog
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok, so your making my arguement for me. That works. So, he was honest when he said he wanted to get paid. He was honest when he said his teammates needed to step up (just like he did when he went to McD recently). So, here we have two examples you have brought forth of Champ being honest and not towing company line yet he is doing the same thing here and all of a sudden he is not being honest? :lol: Um, ok. Like i said, you have an agenda and therefore are pretending that all of a sudden he is lying.

/threadjack

Meghan Fox is the cause of global warming...

hotness

/off

carryon

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM

from what i hear, champ pretty much states he never went to mcd and asked him to bench marshall ......was MCD lieing again?

You should be a DJ. :coffee:

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Oh really?

Exaggerate much?

:rolleyes:

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
And here I thought Shanny was the teflon coach...I like how McD passing this off to the team captains

How'd he do that?

Last I saw, BM's benching was a "Coaches Decision".

But hey, Shanny's got a new team...and he'll need all the support he can muster!

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM

LMMFAO!!!!

All it takes is a little spinning, right?

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to say they actually listened to the interview. Bailey was very open and frank about alot of things in the interview. He didn't call out Marshall by name, but stated that you get paid to do a job and part of that job is showing up on time and working your tail off, both of which "some" players haven't done. He stated that it doesn't matter how talented you are, you are never afforded less work than your TEAMMATES.

Rather than just taking the small little portion that the original poster commented on, take a listen to the interview. Very interesting stuff.

Agreed!

Vonnie Holliday also said as much, on KOA.

He labeled the team as "immature".

Thats why 1 loss would lead to 3.

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Brandon Marshall came out of treatment after being told he was being deactivated due to the injury and the Denver Post reporter Lindsey Jones said, "Would you like to defend yourself?" To which he said, "What?" She then went into him being benched to reasons outside of the injury. Brandon said it himself in last nights interview.

LJones is a hack.

She belongs in the Entertainment section, writing revies on soaps.

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Media Matters gets away with it, for the most part......:rolleyes:

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I sure hope you're saving your fingers, and using the copy/paste.

Last I saw, NEITHER played defense.

And gaffney did just fine, thank you very much.

rcsodak
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Just my observations...

I dont think it was ever printed anywhere that team leaders ASKED McD to bench Marshall and Sheff. At least I never saw it with that spin...

I HAVE seen posts here where that info was falsely typed. Cant recall by who, but I'll agree I've seen it posted by "Marshall haters" and "McD lovers"

I find it interesting that as soon as a respected veteran stands up for his coach and agrees with his actions, he's suddenly a corporate "yes" man.

Like I said before. NOTHING will make the McD haters look at him any differently. Everyone on the team, including Marshall could stand up and defend him and some fans will accuse the organization of making them do it

Ummm.....

...I believe he DID! ;)

arapaho2
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Agreed!

Vonnie Holliday also said as much, on KOA.

He labeled the team as "immature".

Thats why 1 loss would lead to 3.

isnt it common belief that a team takes on the coaches persona?

roomemp
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM

If it were only that easy

Zweems56
01-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Considering most, if not all, of the immaturity issues were from holdovers? In this case, likely not yet. The maturity level of the players picked up far outweighs the maturity level of the holdovers from the previous regime.