PDA

View Full Version : sad just thinking bout it

#1bmarshfan
02-24-2008, 06:54 AM
just sittin here then 2 years ago popped in my head 13-3 one game away from the superbowl and now the shit has hit the fan how has it come to this.........:confused:

ktrain
02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
but, that team was old and lacked a star QB, and was not good enough to win a SB.

CHIN-UP

The current team is young with talent but lacks character and leadership. As guys like Cutler develop, the character and leadership will come. This team has quite a few pieces missing (LT, RT, DT, OLB and S) but is young and talented everywhere else. This team is literally 5 starters and a couple of back-ups away from being unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

The great thing about the NFL is that things change quickly. a couple of years ago the Bears went from a below-average defense to a dominant one in one year. all of a sudden, young players emerged on the defensive line that made them a brick wall on defense. Not saying that IS going to happen here but it COULD happen here as it did in Chicago, New Orleans, Jax and Minn all within the last couple of years

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I know how you feel I was thinking this just the other day

gobroncsnv
02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
but, that team was old and lacked a star QB, and was not good enough to win a SB.

Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer = star QB's???

To me, the most amazing thing was how far the 05 Broncos got without a decent Dline, and we keep trying that. Insanity demonstrated is attempting the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Maybe the last couple of years is evidence that we're trying a new method, but the next couple of months will tell us what we need to know. We need to stop trying to build a virtual pass rush, and get some studs. No LOS, No Rings...

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-24-2008, 01:18 PM
05 broncos were almost just as old as we are now.

back then our run offense was basicly number 1. 2nd but only behind by like 6 yards to vick and the falcons.

and our Defensive line wasnt a good pass rushing line but it was a great run stuffing line. Some teams had a hard time running against trevor pryce with Al Wilson right behind them.

what made us good was very good run offense. good run defense
and a very good turn over difference ratio.

we need those 3 things back in denver.
especialy the run defense.

MHCBill
02-24-2008, 01:20 PM
We could stop the run in '05, now we can't.

Dline avg. weight in '05... 298lbs.

Dline avg. weight in '07... 280lbs.

silkamilkamonico
02-24-2008, 01:54 PM
All teams go through a low period.

Denver has avoided it since Shanahan came.

Unfortunately I think now is our time.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-24-2008, 02:45 PM
We could stop the run in '05, now we can't.

Dline avg. weight in '05... 298lbs.

Dline avg. weight in '07... 280lbs.

i dont know why you took the time to average the weight out because that doesnt matter

Nature Boy
02-24-2008, 08:38 PM

CHIN-UP

The current team is young with talent but lacks character and leadership. As guys like Cutler develop, the character and leadership will come. This team has quite a few pieces missing (LT, RT, DT, OLB and S) but is young and talented everywhere else. This team is literally 5 starters and a couple of back-ups away from being unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

The great thing about the NFL is that things change quickly. a couple of years ago the Bears went from a below-average defense to a dominant one in one year. all of a sudden, young players emerged on the defensive line that made them a brick wall on defense. Not saying that IS going to happen here but it COULD happen here as it did in Chicago, New Orleans, Jax and Minn all within the last couple of years

Talk about a glass half empty in referring the 2005 team w/ Plummer and a glass half full w/ Cutler. Let me guess, you were the driver in "Plummer sucks bandwagon?" Don't worry, so was 95% of all Broncos fans.

Well that 05' team, whom you said was "too old and lacked a star QB" did go 13-3 in the regular season, did beat Tom Brady and the Patsies, was only 1 game away from a Super Bowl and probably winning it, who lost only to the eventual 05-06' Super Bowl Champs, the Steelers. Mind you, it wasn't totally Plummer's fault they lost that AFC Championship game. The defense had zero answer for Big Ben Rothfinburger* who hung 34 pts on the Broncos D'. In fact, I thought Plummer did pretty well, considering his RB was Tatum Bell with an over the hill Rod Smith at WR.

The following year, the Offensive line was decimated. Plummer barely had 2 seconds to throw the ball and yet the 06' Broncos would have made the playoffs if only Plummer was not benched prematurely. Obviously, we can see why Plummer is upset and non cooperative. He does not want to give the Broncos the satisfaction of recuperating draft picks from the Bucs.

Those Plummer years were pretty exciting years in fact. I forget the exact stats but Plummer's win/lost ratio was a little lower than 4:1. That ain't too shabby is it?

broncosfanscott
02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
just sittin here then 2 years ago popped in my head 13-3 one game away from the superbowl and now the shit has hit the fan how has it come to this.........:confused:

That crosses my mind every now and than bums me out. With the players we have and if we continue to draft better like the last two years we will be back.

It's a big "if", however I think we would beat Seattle had we got past the Steelers. Oh well, it's all in the past now.

Like people say, every team has down years and now it's are turn. I would like it to be a very short time though.

Nature Boy
02-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Major difference here is with Plummer and without Plummer. I'm not saying Plummer is better than Cutler but the records speak for themselves.

We traded experience for youth and potential. So far, that potential have not panned out. In a sense, I saw that once Shanahan decided to put Cutler in for Plummer, the Broncos were in a rebuilding stage and rebuilding we are for the foreseeable future.

Lonestar
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
That year our run defense was great because we could not stop the passing game..

Very few teams needed to run on us..

PIT almost set a record on third and longs conversions rate in the championship game.

While Jake did not have a good game at all, the OLINE, tater and pass rush had worse games..

Then to have the total team collapse last year do to injuries and ZERO DLINE play..

Hopefully mikey will get the hint Pat threw out to build this team with QUALITY draft choices.. Instead of patching major hole with FA because of first day failures since forever.. Outside of LB's first day has been a huge disaster..

Nature Boy
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I know how you feel I was thinking this just the other day

Thought this as soon as I knew the Broncos wern't gonna make the playoffs in 2007. Actually, I knew this was gonna happen as soon as Shanny made the flip to Young JC.

It all depends on how the Broncos do in 2008 and 09. They have to at least make the playoffs in 08. Go far in 09 and win a Super Bowl by 2011 or at least contend every yr here on out or the Cutler era will be a failure.

If the Broncos miss the playoffs the next 2 yrs, Shanahan will be coaching in college somewhere.

Nature Boy
02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Sam Adams is 350+lbs. I don't think weight had as much to do with the butter soft run defense as it did with the scheme. We can all thank Jim Bates for that. Another thing the 2005 team had in common with was Larry Coyer. Coyer did a great job with the talent he had to work with. Remember those Cleveland Browns castoffs?

gobroncsnv
02-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Ok, but we've tried differing schemes, and none have really worked out vis-a-vis getting us to the promised land. Any chance we could finally FINALLY start looking at improving the personnel???

Watchthemiddle
02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
05 broncos were almost just as old as we are now.

back then our run offense was basicly number 1. 2nd but only behind by like 6 yards to vick and the falcons.

and our Defensive line wasnt a good pass rushing line but it was a great run stuffing line. Some teams had a hard time running against trevor pryce with Al Wilson right behind them.

what made us good was very good run offense. good run defense
and a very good turn over difference ratio.

we need those 3 things back in denver.
especialy the run defense.

You forgot to mention that we had very good strong leaders on the team. Plummer, Wilson, Lynch, Rod, Nalen, etc.

I would take a group of older, experienced, leaders into battle any day over a bunch of youngsters that don't know if they are coming or going.

Lonestar
02-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Ok, but we've tried differing schemes, and none have really worked out vis-a-vis getting us to the promised land. Any chance we could finally FINALLY start looking at improving the personnel???

Get on your knees and pray that mikey has seen the light after watching he Superbowl..

In-com-plete
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Yep! Then we're sitting at 7-2 in '06.

2 weeks later is when the "shit hit the fan" my friend.

ktrain
02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Major difference here is with Plummer and without Plummer. I'm not saying Plummer is better than Cutler but the records speak for themselves.

We traded experience for youth and potential. So far, that potential have not panned out. In a sense, I saw that once Shanahan decided to put Cutler in for Plummer, the Broncos were in a rebuilding stage and rebuilding we are for the foreseeable future.

Uh...I like all these people who just judge QB;s by W-L without taking their talent and individual performance into account. Cutler is twice the QB less than two years into his career than plummer was 10 years into his career.

Yes plummer has a much better w-l record (at least with the broncos) but you can't compare Plummer's tenure with Cutler's because the supporting cast and COACHING staff has changed significantly:

Fact: Kubes left after 2005 season and the offense hasn't done shit since, with either plummer of cutler

Fact: the running game has gotten progressively worse over the two year period

Fact: The offensive line was on the decline by 2006 (plummer struggeled with this line too) and decimated by injuries last year

Fact: The offensive production was HIGHER in the 5 games after the rookie Cutler started verses the first 11 games with Plummer (same coaching staff and supporting casts) in 2006

Fact: The defensive collapse is the real reason we missed the playoffs in 2006 and was a huge reason we finished 7-9 last year.

You need to look deeper than just wins & losses, we are way better off with cutler than plummer.

Lonestar
02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Uh...I like all these people who just judge QB;s by W-L without taking their talent and individual performance into account. Cutler is twice the QB less than two years into his career than plummer was 10 years into his career.

Yes plummer has a much better w-l record (at least with the broncos) but you can't compare Plummer's tenure with Cutler's because the supporting cast and COACHING staff has changed significantly:

Fact: Kubes left after 2005 season and the offense hasn't done shit since, with either plummer of cutler

Fact: The offensive line was on the decline by 2006 (plummer struggeled with this line too) and decimated by injuries last year

Fact: The offensive production was HIGHER in the 5 games after the rookie Cutler started verses the first 11 games with Plummer (same coaching staff and supporting casts) in 2006

Fact: The defensive collapse is the real reason we missed the playoffs in 2006 and was a huge reason we finished 7-9 last year.

You need to look deeper than just wins & losses, we are way better off with cutler than plummer.

Now you might be right about Jay being better than Jake. time will tell for sure but for right now it is looking that way.

The defensive total collapse started in the PIT playoff game and has back slid since..

Jay had a good final five games because Scheffler and Marshall final figured out were the doors were and how to read and understand a changing playbook.

Jake was and is not a drop back passer they were trying to make him not when Dinger came to town. It is like trying to make manning into option QB or only roll outs.

Agreed on the OLINE and RB fiasco's we have had since MA left town and frankly that was marginal at best.

But the facts are win and loss records do count no coach will ever deny that statement

Nature Boy
02-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Fact: Plummer would have taken the Broncos to the post season in 2006 had he not prematurely get benched. Plummer was better when Cutler took his 1st NFL snap. Remember the pick-6 in Seattle?

Fact: The Broncos have sucked since Cutler taken the reigns.

and yes, I blame the O-Line's weak play for the lousy running game and overall offense. The replacement LT, C and G suck.

and yes, wins and lost do count. They count the most actually. Everyone plays to win, not to look good doing it.

nevcraw
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Except for a couple of nifty scrambles, Plummer was the teams achillies heel in 06'. The team was winning inspite of him certainly not b/c of him. Whenever Plummer was responsible for leading the team to end of game victory, everyone just held their breath ala Griese waiting for the mortal mistake, and it would come.. Atleast now we are holding are breath in anticipation of watching greatness unfold. I'll take the latter...

They were 7-2 thanks to a kick ass Defense and some great plays by Walker.

Nature Boy
02-28-2008, 04:22 AM
And missed the playoffs in 2006 thanks to the premature benching of Jake Plummer, thanks in part to a lousy WR corps, an inconsistent Running game . Stemming from; O-line sucked that yr, starting with Matt Lepsis's injury and have since in 07 with Ben Hamilton then Tom Nalen going out. I hope Nalen and Hamilton comes back and performs at their former pro-bowl level and we get a dream LT for somewhere, anywhere. and Erik Pears makes a giant leap on his 3rd yr.

PatricktheDookie
02-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Denver - youth at QB, RB, WR, TE, some OL, and DL.

Definitely a big difference from 2007. The Broncos have been rebuilding for the past two years, only they've done it so smoothly, we haven't dropped off the map.