PDA

View Full Version : Elway: Team Doesn't Have Good Home Field Advantage

Lonestar
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
DENVER (CBS4) - What's the morning like after losing a game that ends the season? Is there sadness? Is there a sense of relief that it's over? John Elway said it's mostly just disappointment.

"It's more disappointment because the season doesn't really start in August, it starts in April in the off-season program, especially with all the changes that the Broncos went through this year with the coaching change and everything in the front office and the player changes."

Elway said it's even more disappointing when the team had a good chance to get in the playoffs and then didn't play well down the stretch.

"I think the way that they finished the season is the most disappointing thing," Elway said. "There's a lot of disappointment there because you put so much work into it."

He said the most disappointing loss he's ever experienced was when the Broncos lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 1996-97 playoffs.

"We had home field wrapped up and got beat by Jacksonville (in Denver) in the first round. That was definitely the most disappointing."

The Broncos lost that game 30-27 after they couldn't stop Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell.

"We couldn't stop him. It was one of those days where it wasn't meant to be. The hopes were so high because we had such a good year."

He said it was an especially hard loss because he was nearing the end of his career and wasn't sure if he would get another chance being on a team that was so good.

"We really thought we had a chance to win it that year. We just didn't play well enough that day to get it done ... but I think that it also added a lot of fuel to the fire to get it done next year."

It seems to be like a broken record with the Broncos in recent years -- the team falls apart in the second half of the season. Elway thinks the Broncos don't have a good home field advantage anymore, and that could be a big reason for second half collapses.

"We used to have the home field advantage and therefore, if you're on a bad run, if you've got a home game, we could come home and put an end to the streak, start playing better and get over the hump. ... You can't lose to the Raiders and the Chiefs at home."

He said he thinks it's mystifying as to why the Broncos aren't playing better at home considering the advantage of playing at a higher altitude.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Average organizations don't have good HFA. With the exception of a handful of years under Elway, we've never had good HFA.

Unfortunately, Denver is one of those organizations that always has been, and probably always will be average.

At least we're not Detroit Lions bad.

T.K.O.
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Average organizations don't have good HFA. With the exception of a handful of years under Elway, we've never had good HFA.

Unfortunately, Denver is one of those organizations that always has been, and probably always will be average.

huh ?:confused:i'm assuming that was a joke,or have only been watching the broncos for 4 years?

G_Money
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Apparently he missed the "greatest home field advantage since 1960-whatever" stat that used to be regularly flashed at every home game.

Nobody wanted to come play here. NOBODY. And that's not the case anymore. Part of it is better-conditioned athletes helping to nullify the thin air as the year goes on, part of it is the re-working of the stadium, part of it is a lack of talent making it tougher to win period.

But we definitely HAD a home-field advantage that was second to none, and we don't have it any more.

Of course, better teams tend to have better home-field advantages, but the Broncos had a great one with some pretty sorry teams.

~G

claymore
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM

I disagree a 100%. Saying that, good HFA is not built on losing MNF games, and key divisional games year after year.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 02:49 PM
huh ?:confused:i'm assuming that was a joke,or have only been watching the broncos for 4 years?

Elaborate.

I've only been watching Denver since Elway was a rookie, but other than an Elway inspired play in the 8-'s and early 90's, and a stretch of 3 or so years during their SuperBowl runs, Denver's been anything but exceptional or good in it's existence, in the last 25 years or so at least.

Unless you're claiming success on the fact that "Hey, at least Denver hasn't had any top 10 picks", which is bs in my book.

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
0-3 vs AFC west at home.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I disagree a 100%. Saying that, good HFA is not built on losing MNF games, and key divisional games year after year.

Something we've done every year basically since Elway retired, except for the one year when Larry Coyer was our best coach.

Since Rivers has been starting, SD has owned Denver worse than Shanahan has owned Oakland. And that's a legitimate beatdown.

G_Money
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

The Broncos have had the best home record in pro football over the past 32 years (1974–2006, 191–65–1)

So yeah, even including the decade before Elway got here and 8 years after he left, we still had the #1 home field record.

It was ALWAYS good, not never good.

~G

Buff
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't understand the lack of homefield advantage... The air is just as thin and the fans are just as loud. I know Invesco will never be another Mile High... But we should still win more games than we lose at home.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
So yeah, even including the decade before Elway got here and 8 years after he left, we still had the #1 home field record.

It was ALWAYS good, not never good.

~G

I was wrong then.

That's terrible. How do you have a record like that in a season of 16 games, and have nothing to show for it?

Apparently for as good as we've been at home, we must be equally bad on the road.

Ravage!!!
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Notice how Elway didn't mention San Diego in his quote? :lol: He's like me, still doesn't consider SD a rival. Even if they are better now, they are still the outside team.

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
60's 24-43-3
70's 43-25-4* only played 7 home games prior to 77
80's 58-19* only played 5 home games in 82 due to strike ^1 8-0 season 81
90's 63-17 ^ 3 8-0 seasons 96-98
00's 54-26 ^ 1 8-0 season 05

Last 4 years
4-4
4-4
5-3
4-4
worst 4 year streak since 1971-1974

I think HFA still exists.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Notice how Elway didn't mention San Diego in his quote? :lol: He's like me, still doesn't consider SD a rival. Even if they are better now, they are still the outside team.

I think at this point in time they really don't consider us a rival either.

It's just too easy for them.

T.K.O.
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Elaborate.

I've only been watching Denver since Elway was a rookie, but other than an Elway inspired play in the 8-'s and early 90's, and a stretch of 3 or so years during their SuperBowl runs, Denver's been anything but exceptional or good in it's existence, in the last 25 years or so at least.

Unless you're claiming success on the fact that "Hey, at least Denver hasn't had any top 10 picks", which is bs in my book.

what nfl team has the most wins since 1984 ?(this only goes through 06' but you can do the math since then and i would say your statement about the broncos always have been and will be average at best is pretty silly.....
Including the 1984 season and excluding playoffs and the 2006 season:
1. San Fransico 49ers = 226 wins
2. Denver Broncos = 219 wins
3. Miami Dolphins = 205 wins
4. Pittsburgh Steelers = 201 wins
5. New York Giants = 194 wins
6. Kansas City Chiefs = 193 wins
T7. Philadelphia Eagles = 194 wins
Minnesota Vikings = 194 wins
8. Green Bay Packers = 189 wins
9. Chicago Bears = 186 wins
T10. Wasington Redskins = 184 wins
New England Patriots = 184 wins

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
what nfl team has the most wins since 1984 ?(this only goes through 06' but you can do the math since then and i would say your statement about the broncos always have been and will be average at best is pretty silly.....
Including the 1984 season and excluding playoffs and the 2006 season:
1. San Fransico 49ers = 226 wins
2. Denver Broncos = 219 wins
3. Miami Dolphins = 205 wins
4. Pittsburgh Steelers = 201 wins
5. New York Giants = 194 wins
6. Kansas City Chiefs = 193 wins
T7. Philadelphia Eagles = 194 wins
Minnesota Vikings = 194 wins
8. Green Bay Packers = 189 wins
9. Chicago Bears = 186 wins
T10. Wasington Redskins = 184 wins
New England Patriots = 184 wins

Denver Broncos = kings of the regular season. I find it funny that San Fransisco and Miami are up there too. In this day and age, they are irrelevant as well. And actually, both of them haven't really been relevant in the NFL scene since the eary 90's, which was a shade earlier in the Denver's relevance in the NFL.

1 playoff win in 11 years. Philip Rivers has more than that in a span of 8 days.

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Denver Broncos = kings of the regular season. I find it funny that San Fransisco and Miami are up there too. In this day and age, they are irrelevant as well. And actually, both of them haven't really been relevant in the NFL scene since the eary 90's, which was a shade earlier in the Denver's relevance in the NFL.

1 playoff win in 11 years. Philip Rivers has more than that in a span of 8 days.

2 super bowl rings and 5 appearances...more than Philip Rivers has in his entire career.

Or the Chargers have in his lifetime.

T.K.O.
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM

uhhhh.....ok so the 5 sb appearances with 2 wins in that time span make us the reg season kings and an average at best team ?always have been...always will be?
c'mon you gotta admit that statement is way out in left field and is completely false unless you cherry pick seasons since elway left....i'm not saying we have been a powerhouse but well above average in wins ,its really been the last 4 years that sucked and i give the team somewhat of a pass this year with all the transition.
but to each his own....just letting you know that because you say the franchise has and will always be mediocre does'nt make it so.
i will watch how the next couple years unfold before saying that they are headed nowhere.and or lump them in with the bottom dwellers of the league

G_Money
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
We are/were the kings of the regular season, agreed. It was the achilles of both Reeves and Shanahan. Shanahan conquered it when he had a defense and some HOFers on both sides of the ball. Reeves could never get the talent around Elway to pull it off on offense.

After Elway, Shanahan could roll in the regular season but never step it up the necessary notch in the playoffs. He was too used to expecting vets to inspire and lead themselves and the rest of the team, I think.

So far, McDaniels doesn't strike me as a lot different than Shanahan: control freak, absolutely positive that his offensive system is the greatest thing ever, leaves the locker room stuff to the players to manage, plays favorites, does things on draft day that make me scratch my head and then start investigating voodoo, etc.

But Shanahan DID own the regular season (certainly the first half of it always, the second half sometimes). From what I've seen of the system Josh wants to run, I don't see us winning big as an offense-first unit, or at home like we used to if we try it that way.

Shanahan used to be able to take advantage of the altitude. I'm not sure that McDaniels can or will. Perhaps if we fix the D we can play some hurry-up so that all those short passes eventually wear out the defense. The defense has to be able to be on the field longer in that case though - or able to get off it regularly.

I don't mind shifting from the Shanahan Broncos/Martz-led St. Louis Rams offensive led teams to a more Ravens/Steelers like attack with man blocking schemes and crushing D leading the way.

Just don't get stuck in the middle. Average O and average D never won anything. Aim for and manufacture greatness somewhere, and home field might come back. Part of home field is the expectation of seeing great things, and the response from having those expectations met. Broncos games tend to start off loud and cool off quickly these days.

Some form of greatness would help keep the energy in the building.

~G

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
2 super bowl rings and 5 appearances...more than Philip Rivers has in his entire career.

Or the Chargers have in his lifetime.

Ahh.....Denver Broncos....the good ol days. Thank god for our 11+ year old scrap books to keep us in the Denver Bronco good time lime light huh....

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
uhhhh.....ok so the 5 sb appearances with 2 wins in that time span make us the reg season kings and an average at best team ?always have been...always will be?
c'mon you gotta admit that statement is way out in left field and is completely false unless you cherry pick seasons since elway left....i'm not saying we have been a powerhouse but well above average in wins ,its really been the last 4 years that sucked and i give the team somewhat of a pass this year with all the transition.
but to each his own....just letting you know that because you say the franchise has and will always be mediocre does'nt make it so.
i will watch how the next couple years unfold before saying that they are headed nowhere.and or lump them in with the bottom dwellers of the league

Again.

Nebreska Cornhuskers, Miami Hurricances, and Notre Dame Fighting Irish once dominated college football once too.

My kid brother's still laughing at that one.

OrangeHoof
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Before Elway, the Broncos were a great HFA team in the "Orange Crush" years. We not only won home games with talent but we had a knack for flukey wins that made us seem unbeatable at home. We could hang around for three quarters and then make some key plays in the 4th and walk out with a win.

So, yeah, it wasn't just Elway. I think the old Mile High had a greater intimidation factor than the new one. Teams just hated coming up here.

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Ahh.....Denver Broncos....the good ol days. Thank god for our 11+ year old scrap books to keep us in the Denver Bronco good time lime light huh....

Still more than 75% of the league has to hang there hat on. This being the first decade since the merger that the Broncos haven't been in the superbowl, but have still been to an AFC championship game. You can have your piss filled cherios bowl back.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Still more than 75% of the league has to hang there hat on. This being the first decade since the merger that the Broncos haven't been in the superbowl, but have still been to an AFC championship game. You can have your piss filled cherios bowl back.

Yea, an AFC Championship game that ended in a blowout loss at home.

Keep your orange colored arguments going, I need all the sunshine I can get.

I mean, who cares about winning any time now in this era, when we can go back to the 1900's and remember the good times, right?

Shazam!
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Silk, I think you've been drinking in the afternoon. I thought you only started after 7?

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Silk, I think you've been drinking in the afternoon. I thought you only started after 7?

I started in 1999, and haven't stopped since.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I think home field advantage has different shapes.

You can have "home field advantage" based on location and weather conditions. Nobody really wants to play in the mile high air of Denver or the cold of Lambeau, Soldier Field, or Gillette in winter. Tradition plays a little bit in it, too.

The real reason home field advantage ain't what it used to be (not just for the Broncos, but for everyone) is the current problem with the NFL - money.

No longer is the crowd that packs (or doesn't) a stadium on Sunday to see their "favorite" team the die-hard lunch-pail crowd. Live sporting events have begun to cater to the rich, not necessarily the fans. I don't know how many times I talked with season ticket holders who are disgusted with the amount of "non" fans that just go to the games because their business has some tickets or because it's the "cool thing to do", not because they're actually die hard fans that cheer for the team. A huge part of that home field advantage is crowd noise. Any Southstanders out there from the old Mile-High know exactly what I'm talking about. That crowd noise just isn't like it used to be, especially when half the people in the stands aren't cheering because they're only there because they didn't have anything better to do and got some tickets. I know a lot of posters were straight pissed off at the MNF football game vs Pittsburgh because there were so many Steelers fans that there wasn't really even a "home field" feel to it. It was almost like playing at a neutral site. Even if there's a sellout, if the crowd isn't cheering, there might as well be nobody there.

On top of that, the average American family of 4 will spend around $500+ just to see one game for nose bleed seats when you add in parking and something as simple as some popcorn or drinks for the kids. That is outrageous and with the invent of NFL Sunday Ticket, the money is better spent getting to see all 16 games in the comfort of your own home and saving a couple hundred bucks.

Then, you throw in the fact that all of the new stadiums are larger (size wise, not seating) and it also cuts down on the crowd noise. Mile High stadium was a smaller, louder stadium that actually seated more people than Invesco does.

Qwest Field in Seattle was actually built to enhance crowd noise and the combination of that and the weather still makes it a very formidable place to play. The fans there take pride in their "12th man" moniker and do get into the whole home field advantage thing. Many other cities just don't. It really has nothing to do with the record of the team (unless they've just been terrible forever) but the pride of the fans. Old Mile High had it. Invesco doesn't. At least we're not the Sparklers who only sell out when a good team comes to town that other fans want to see or if the game is on prime-time. 13-3 and they can't sell out consistently, that sucks!

GEM
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't understand the lack of homefield advantage... The air is just as thin and the fans are just as loud. I know Invesco will never be another Mile High... But we should still win more games than we lose at home.

Yea...except that about a quarter more of the fans are loud for the rival team. :yardog:

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM

I mean, who cares about winning any time now in this era, when we can go back to the 1900's and remember the good times, right?

Yup I live in the past. I enjoy watching all the replays of bronco super bowl appearances during the run up to the super bowl. I enjoy hearing the Broncos listed with teams with lots of appearances. I enjoy knowing that we are one of a select group with back to back super bowl wins...but yes I care about winning now too. See the only reason you piss and moan about the situation now is because we have an established history of winning. And some people need to be reminded of that from time to time and remember that it wasn't always that way. There are lots of fans around that can remember alot worse dry spells than what is going on now. And at least when we aren't top of the heap we can still contend for playoffs and make a run at a super bowl. At least we are making AFC Championship games.

I mean we could all be like Raider fans and have to look back to the early 80's for our last super bowl win...or Chiefs fans to the 60s or Charger fans to never. No team in the AFC west has been as sucessful as we were in the 80's and 90's and it was due to Elway. And since Elway left every QB has had to struggle with the #7 that is in the ring of fame, that sits in a luxury suite every game, that is worn by a large number of fans in the stands.

e-Lou-sive1
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I am new to this site and one of the reasons I left the last one because most of the fans only were familiar with Broncos during and after the Elway years. When I would comment about previous seasons making comparisons to this one then I was attacked and people thought I was being too harsh.I am originally from Loveland,born and raised then moved to Texas but still a loyal Colorado sports fan. I never did consider San Diego to be a rival even now because "we" the team allowed them to succeed and become an AFC power house.San Diego uses us as a measuring stick for their success how flattering and Rivers is the new media hype.Notice how the media twists things around to benefit their stories "San Diego is the only team to win 16 games in December an NFL record and become an AFC Superbowl contender.Just a few years ago it was rumoured that the San Diego Chargers maybe moved to San Antonio because the fans wouldn't back a new stadium they almost got blacked out on a few games this season.At the beginning of this season Norv's job was on the line and the players were publicly calllout by the GM.I honestly think we can be the best AFC west team and a Superbowl contender If we can get some kind of unity and direction going and stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

56crash
01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
He said he thinks it's mystifying as to why the Broncos aren't playing better at home considering the advantage of playing at a higher altitude.

Well here is the deal all them roll outs all game long like elway use to do are gone they totaly gased other teams .

Ravage!!!
01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

Well here is the deal all them roll outs all game long like elway use to do are gone they totaly gased other teams .

I think our lack of 3rd down efficiency also hurt wearing their defense down. But I sure do miss the naked bootleg

Medford Bronco
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Didnt Denver own the best home field record form 1977 through PLummers years?

spikerman
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't understand why the Broncos don't come out in the first quarter of home games and run the "no huddle" offense. They could "gas" the opposing defense in no time. It takes teams a while to adjust to the oxygen level, so don't give them time to do it. Wear them out right away. For some reason the Broncos refuse to do it.

Medford Bronco
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't understand why the Broncos don't come out in the first quarter of home games and run the "no huddle" offense. They could "gas" the opposing defense in no time. It takes teams a while to adjust to the oxygen level, so don't give them time to do it. Wear them out right away. For some reason the Broncos refuse to do it.

The old Jim Kelly "k Gun" offense would be good.

Nomad
01-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Didnt Denver own the best home field record form 1977 through PLummers years?

I know as long as I have been watching and following the BRONCOS (since late 80s), home field advantage meant home field advantage for the BRONCOS!!

honz
01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Why is John Elway stating the obvious news?

arapaho2
01-05-2010, 09:16 PM

when the majority of your attempts are under ten yards

it dont take an defense with an extreme amount of endurance to stay in the game

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Yup I live in the past. I enjoy watching all the replays of bronco super bowl appearances during the run up to the super bowl. I enjoy hearing the Broncos listed with teams with lots of appearances. I enjoy knowing that we are one of a select group with back to back super bowl wins...but yes I care about winning now too. See the only reason you piss and moan about the situation now is because we have an established history of winning. And some people need to be reminded of that from time to time and remember that it wasn't always that way. There are lots of fans around that can remember alot worse dry spells than what is going on now. And at least when we aren't top of the heap we can still contend for playoffs and make a run at a super bowl. At least we are making AFC Championship games.

When haven't seen "AFC Championship game(s)" since the 1990's. I'll give you your blowout loss at home in 2005 because I know your content on winning the only playoff game since 1998.

I mean we could all be like Raider fans and have to look back to the early 80's for our last super bowl win...or Chiefs fans to the 60s or Charger fans to never. No team in the AFC west has been as sucessful as we were in the 80's and 90's and it was due to Elway. And since Elway left every QB has had to struggle with the #7 that is in the ring of fame, that sits in a luxury suite every game, that is worn by a large number of fans in the stands.

LMAO

"Hey, I know it's 2010 and we suck. But at least we have 1998."

LMAO

Broncolingus
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't usually like to (or like those that) make 'absolute' statements, but the mystic that Mile High (not the diaphragm) had for us who've followed the team for the past 20-30 years is long gone...

...seems to have died with the move from the 'old' stadium.

Quite sad actually...

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't usually like to (or like those that) make 'absolute' statements, but the mystic that Mile High (not the diaphragm) had for us who've followed the team for the past 20-30 years is long gone...

...seems to ahve died with the move from the 'old' stadium.

Quite sad actually...

Yep. The "Mile High Magic" that I grew up counting on disappeared with the old Mile High.

The other day during the game I remember thinking in the 3rd quarter. . ."here's where our Mile High Magic comes back to us." Nope. I miss it.

Broncolingus
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Yep. The "Mile High Magic" that I grew up counting on disappeared with the old Mile High.

The other day during the game I remember thinking in the 3rd quarter. . ."here's where our Mile High Magic comes back to us." Nope. I miss it.

...me too brother.

Ziggy
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM

I'm guessing that as often as our offense goes 3 and out, that it would be a real bad idea. It would just put the defense on the field that much longer during the game. Now if we had a good, efficient offense that could crank out first downs, the no-huddle is a great idea.

dogfish
01-06-2010, 02:34 AM

what, so we have to go to the super bowl every few years to be a good franchise? don't expect much, do ya?

JDL
01-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Apparently he missed the "greatest home field advantage since 1960-whatever" stat that used to be regularly flashed at every home game.

Nobody wanted to come play here. NOBODY. And that's not the case anymore. Part of it is better-conditioned athletes helping to nullify the thin air as the year goes on, part of it is the re-working of the stadium, part of it is a lack of talent making it tougher to win period.

But we definitely HAD a home-field advantage that was second to none, and we don't have it any more.

Of course, better teams tend to have better home-field advantages, but the Broncos had a great one with some pretty sorry teams.

~G

Sometimes the younger fans (and I'm only 32 lol) simply don't get what it WAS like... Elway said exactly what I've been probably too rudely reaming people on... it is ABSOLUTELY ... UNEQUIVOCALLY ... UNACCEPTABLE to lose at home to both the Raiders and Chiefs... everyone talks about all the other things they want... division title, playoffs, super bowls... but in any given year, the very first thing you want ... is to kick your hated rivals @ss in your own house.... why do you think we have been so terrible in Arrowhead... the fans get up for those games, the team gets up for those games... it is like this year it was status quo for every other AFC West franchise... they get up to play US... but we simply for whatever reason (maybe thought it was easy early in the season when we beat them on the road) ... but we treated those games like any other game and got our @sses handed to us. You don't step into Mile High and not defend that place against your bitter rivals... you just don't f-ing do it. That's about the only thing that really gets my blood boiling about this season, I could accept the rest, but the way we laid down at home and just got butchered in our own house... embarrassing.

Some of it might be the fans very own fault... there really wasn't a big Raiders or Chiefs week here for either game and it is almost like the Broncos (fans, players, coaches) really failed to understand the rivalry...maybe don't get up for it as much as they once did and don't make the atmosphere as disruptive...but those other teams didn't come in unprepared and we sure gave KC's new organization a reason to be ready... when we ran up the score on them the first time... you better be prepared for a team the next time when you do that!

That is one of the things that truly endeared Mike Shanahan to this fan base and bought him loyalty... from the fans and owner and why Wade Phillips had such a short run... in particular if you can't beat the Raiders ... you better get your @ss out of town and it is really that simple. Chiefs are bad enough to lose to, but you simply cannot lose to Oakland... it got Dan Reeves fired and it got Wade Phillips fired ... and really, probably the final straw for Shanahan wasn't coughing up the division... it was having a team that got its @ss handed to it in a critical game at home against the Oakland Raiders.

Believe me, the leash in Denver is NOT long for coaches who can't get the job done at home.. that's where the money is made and that where the fans loyalties are earned. The fans should demand NOTHING less of its coaches than to respect and restore Denver's long-standing dominance at home. Because once you have that... the rest will follow.

Lonestar
01-06-2010, 03:53 AM
One of his stated goals coming in the door was to win all home games.. was also get bigger, stronger and smarter.

guess rome was not built in a day..

I suspect those that played like they did not give a damn will be trade bait or cut lose ASAP.

I guess that the expectations we set to high after winning the first SIX..

for those "NEW" that come because they get freebie tickets and are not full blown fans, shame on them.. it is not a social event.. it is a football game that requires the 12th man to suit up.. and since the move to incest it has not been an advantage with our fans..

OrangeHoof
01-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Kinda hard to really hate AFC West rivals when you've spent most of your career in another division. To them, it IS just another game. Seriously, other than D.J. Williams, who's been a Bronco long enough to really HATE the Raiders or Chiefs? I'm guessing more of McD's Broncos hate the Jets than hate the Raiders.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2010, 06:45 AM
what, so we have to go to the super bowl every few years to be a good franchise? don't expect much, do ya?

SuperBowl is not a necessity. A couple playoff games isn't too much to ask though, is it?

1 playoff win since 1999. I'm suprised more people overlook that because we won 2 SuperBowls 12 years ago.

Here's a real good question, and be honest.

When will Denver win another playoff game? Hell, when will they make the playoffs?

If McDaniels doesn't get through is immaturity, we could be looking at another 3-5+ years of no playoffs.

Then I'll really start trashing the organization. And it will be justified.

Medford Bronco
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM

...seems to have died with the move from the 'old' stadium.

Quite sad actually...

I think 'mystique' comes with being a good team.
The Pats had at one point won 24 in a row at Gillette Stadium.

Our 2005 team went 8-0 (9-0 in the playoffs before losing to Pitt in the AFCC game)

If you have a great team then the advantage is there.