PDA

View Full Version : My Updated Broncos Mock

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Here is what I would like to see for Denver on draft day. Henry is restructured. JWalk is as good as gone. Shanny obviously is looking at WR via FA and I also think we can get a solid DT via trade/FA as well.

Forgive me if I don't have all the picks in the exact rounds as I have yet to find any sites which list the proper choices. So I'm going w/ 2 #4s, 2 #5s, NO #6 and a #7. Some of my mid round choices can be altered to fit whatever is correct...

Round 1-Dan Connor, OLB/MLB, Penn State
Connor's ability to play inside and out adds flexibility to the Denver LB corps. It also gives Shanny more time to decide what rto do with DJ. He is a sound tackler and a great field general. A blue collar player who will bring the lunch pail for the next 8-12 years...and leave the attitude at the door. Another option is Keith Rivers, OLB, USC.

Round 2-DaJuan Morgan, Safety, North Carolina State
Finally the Safety that I have been coveting. With Phillips' "value" at 12 apparently slipping, Morgan is a very solid option who is quickly climbing the draft charts. Comes from a very highly respected defense for the Wolfpack. Another option is Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma.

Round 4a-Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
Some will say this is too late for him to go, but he is a project and may last this long w/ the influx of junior talent in this draft. This kid is a horse w/ loads of potential. He's more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher, but isn't that what we need after 2007? Another option is Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State.

Round 4b-Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Here is the large, pile moving Tackle that many folks seem to want. At 6'7" 330, he is massive, but also has excellent footwork. May need a season or 2 to develop...but the same was said about Marcus McNeil. Another option is Kirk Barton, OT, Ohio State.

Round 5a-Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
Butler is the big, physical OLB that we have been needing but is also athletic enough for our style of play. Ian is gonzo and I've said for months this should be a 2 LB draft. Butler and Dan Connor along side DJ should be a formidable LB corps. Another option is J Leman, MLB, Illinois.

Round 5b-Darius Reynaud, WR, West Virginia
My sleeper of the whole draft. I loved watching this guy at WVU. Short, but tough. At 200lbs, he is a stocky sparkplug who produced great numbers considering the style of O he played in. Also a solid return option for us. Another option is Dexter Jackson, QB/WR, Appalachian State.

Round 7-Chris Brown, FB/TE, Tennessee
Your consumate team player. Brown can excel at either FB or TE and has done so at both vs SEC competition. Has great hands, which plays nicely with how Shanny likes to use his FBs on the goalline. Call me a homer, but if we draft this guy, nobody will be upset when it's all said and done.

SOOOO...this would give us 2 LBs, 1 DT, 1 OT, 1 Safety, 1 WR and a TE/FB. Assuming Shanny lands a DT and WR via FA, I'd say this addresses most of the team's areas of concern.

Bash away...:beer:

Fan in Exile
02-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I like the draft but I really don't think that we'll get two linebackers. They seem to be pretty high on Winborn and with Webster we've got plenty of back ups and special teamers.

I would hope that we would pick up another DT.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't mind Connor and Morgan 1-2. I just do not want Connor at 12. Trade back if we want him.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/LB/56520597.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah...I don't really wanna get into the pick trading speculation...so I just went w/ where we are at. Personally, screw value. If you have a pick at 12 and want a guy who may be projected to go at 20, you may look for a trade partner...but if ya can't find one...you take the guy you want at 12. Ya don't take the best "value" to avoid the criticism. You get the guy you want. I always look at the Bengals when they drafted Levie Jones. They got laughed off the stage...how'd that work out? BRILLIANTLY. Could he have been had later on? Sure. Did they get the guy they wanted? Aboslutely. And he's been awesome for em.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah...I don't really wanna get into the pick trading speculation...so I just went w/ where we are at. Personally, screw value. If you have a pick at 12 and want a guy who may be projected to go at 20, you may look for a trade partner...but if ya can't find one...you take the guy you want at 12. Ya don't take the best "value" to avoid the criticism. You get the guy you want. I always look at the Bengals when they drafted Levie Jones. They got laughed off the stage...how'd that work out? BRILLIANTLY. Could he have been had later on? Sure. Did they get the guy they wanted? Aboslutely. And he's been awesome for em.

I know what you're saying but he's not even considered a solid 1st rd pick. He could slide to RD2 like your boy Poz. If we can take Connor (who I like) and add another player I'd rather do that.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Overview
Joe Paterno's first perfect season came in 1968, his third year of coaching the Nittany Lions. Ever since, the Penn State coaching staff has produced an incredible number of NFL-quality linebackers who had success at the next level.

From Dennis Onkotz in 1968 to Paul Posluszny in 2006, Penn State boasted 16 linebackers garnering All-American first-team honors, with Onkontz ('68-69), Shane Conlan (1985-86), LaVar Arrington (1998-99) and Posluszny ('05-06) receiving that prestigious honor twice.

At the end of his standout '07 season, Dan Connor became Joe Pa's Sweet 17th.

In addition to his All-American selection, the PSU middle linebacker was the recipient of the Bednarik Award (top defensive player), was a finalist for the Butkus Award and set the school record with 419 career tackles while his 145 tackles in 2007 led the Big Ten Conference and ranked seventh in the nation.

Connor comes from a family of football players. The Crime, Law and Justice major learned from his older brothers and became the third sibling to play in the collegiate ranks. Jim played football at Boston College and Mike played at Lehigh. But even before he stepped on the field at Penn State, Dan Connor earned national attention.

At Strath Haven High School, Connor was a consensus All-American, and the four-year starter was selected the nation's top prep linebacker by Parade. He earned first-team All-American accolades from USA Today, Super Prep and numerous other media outlets. The 2003 Associated Press Big School Player-of-the-Year, Connor was named first-team All-State three times. He also earned All-Region, All-City, All-County and All-League honors.

The captain and MVP of his team, Connor also won the Maxwell Football Club's prestigious Jim Henry Award as the Philadelphia Area Player-of-the-Year and was the Philadelphia Inquirer Southeastern Pennsylvania Player-of-the-Year as a senior. He totaled 4,556 rushing yards and 77 touchdowns during his prep career. Defensively, he made 451 tackles, 18 sacks, 16 interceptions and six fumble recoveries.

As a senior, Connor rushed for 1,807 yards on 251 carries, for a spectacular 7.2-yard average, scoring 28 touchdowns. He was instrumental in Strath Haven winning the 2000 Pennsylvania Class AAA state championship and played in the AAA state title game in 2001 and '02. He played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in 2004 and also lettered in basketball and track, where he participated in the high jump, javelin, discus and shot put.

Connor enrolled at Penn State in 2004, appearing in 10 games while earning four starting assignments.

After lining up at outside linebacker most of the season, the Freshman All-American shifted to middle linebacker for the season's final three games, leading the team in tackles in each of those contests. In 558 plays, he finished second on the team with 85 tackles (50 solo), adding a sack, 4 1/2 stops for losses and an interception.

During the 2005 offseason, Connor was charged with making prank phone calls to a former PSU assistant coach. Joe Paterno suspended the linebacker in August for his involvement in the incident, keeping him out of the lineup for the team's first three games. He started six of the nine contests in which he played, posting 76 tackles (38 solo), 1 1/2 sacks and 5 1/2 stops for losses, to go along with eight quarterback pressures from his right outside linebacker position. He also recovered a fumble that he returned for a score.

In 2006, Connor gained national attention for his exploits on the football field, walking away with All-American and All-Big Ten Conference first-team honors. He combined with fellow All-American Paul Posluszny (116 tackles) to become the first Penn State tandem since Andre Collins (130) and Brian Chizmar (110) in 1989 to record more than 100 tackles in a season.

The right linebacker started all 13 games, participating in 908 snaps. He finished second to Posluszny with 113 tackles (70 solo), adding five sacks, nine stops for losses and three forced fumbles. He also deflected a pair of passes and intercepted two others.

Connor and Posluszny will be forever linked. The two star linebackers squared off against each other in the 2002 PIAA Class AAA championship game. Posluszny, then a senior, led Hopewell High School to a 21-10 victory against Connor's Strath Haven team. I was at that game

Posluszny later served as Connor's host for his official visit to Penn State. Both broke into the starting lineup as freshmen at Penn State, albeit a year apart. "If you ask me, I'd say Paul's better," Connor said. "If you ask him, he'd probably say the opposite."

Connor joined Posluszny as one of three finalists for the Bednarik Award in 2006, as Connor became the 13th Penn State linebacker to earn first-team All-American honors under Paterno. He was the 77th Penn State player selected a first-team All-American.

Connor moved back inside to middle linebacker as a senior. He finished seventh in the nation in tackles and led the conference with a career-high 145 stops (69 solo). He delivered 6 1/2 sacks with 15 stops for losses and two fumble recoveries. He also picked off a pass and deflected six others. He would record at least 10 tackles in eight contests, giving him 20 games during his career that he reached double digits.

Connor started 36 of 45 games in which he played at Penn State, including 16 contests at middle linebacker. He holds the school's career record with 419 tackles (227 solo), produced 14 sacks for minus-101 yards and 34 stops for losses totaling 141 yards. He recovered three fumbles, returning one 18 yards for a touchdown and had three forced fumbles. He deflected eight passes, gained five yards on four interception returns and registered one safety.

Career Notes
Holds the school record with 419 tackles, topping the previous mark of 372 by Paul Posluszny (2003-06)...That duo joined Greg Buttle (343, 1973-75) and Brian Gelzheiser (315, 1991-94) as the only players in school history to record over 300 tackles in a career...Registered 145 tackles in 2007, the second-best season total in school history, topped only by Greg Buttle (165 in 1974), marking only the fourth time in school history a player posted 140 or more tackles in a season (Buttle had 140 in 1975 and Shawn Mayer made 144 in 2002)...Recorded at least 10 tackles in 20 of the 45 games he played in...His 14 sacks rank eighth in school annals among PSU linebackers (16th overall) and his 34 stops for losses rank sixth among Nittany Lions linebackers (13th overall)...Recorded 18 tackles twice -- in the '07 Ohio State and Temple games -- the second-highest total by a Penn State player in the last 22 seasons (Paul Posluszny posted 22 vs. Northwestern in 2005. The previous high was 21 by Trey Bauer vs. Rutgers in 1985 and the school record is 24 by Greg Buttle vs. West Virginia in 1974 and matched by Bill Banks vs. North Carolina State in 1977).

High School
Attended Strath Haven (Pa.) High School, playing football for head coach Kevin Clancy...Consensus All-American...The four-year starter was selected the nation's top prep line-backer by Parade...Earned first-team All-American notice from USA Today, Super Prep and numerous other media outlets...2003 Associated Press Big School Player-of-the-Year and named first-team All-State three times...Earned All-Region, All-City, All-County and All-League honors...Captain and MVP of his team...Won the Maxwell Football Club's prestigious Jim Henry Award as the Philadelphia Area Player of the Year and was the Philadelphia Inquirer Southeastern Pennsylvania Player of the Year as a senior...Totaled 4,556 rushing yards and 77 touchdowns during his prep career...Defensively, he made 451 tackles, 18 sacks, 16 interceptions and six fumble recoveries...As a senior, Connor rushed for 1,807 yards on 251 carries, for a spectacular 7.2-yard average, scoring 28 touchdowns...Instrumental in Strath Haven winning the 2000 Pennsylvania Class AAA state championship and playing in the AAA state title game in 2001 and '02...Played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in 2004..Lettered in basketball and track, where he participated in the high jump, javelin, discus and shot put.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 09:36 AM
I know what you're saying but he's not even considered a solid 1st rd pick. He could slide to RD2 like your boy Poz. If we can take Connor (who I like) and add another player I'd rather do that.

That in and of itself was unfathomable. Buffalo made out HUGE on that one. Hey, if we have a trade partner, great. If San Fran wants to give us their pick from Indy and their #2...or if Dallas wants to give us their 2 #1s...GREAT. I just don't see that happening. 12 is an ugly spot to be in this year if ya don't need a RB or CB. We may simply be stuck. And if we are...Connor would be one of the guys I want.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
That in and of itself was unfathomable. Buffalo made out HUGE on that one. Hey, if we have a trade partner, great. If San Fran wants to give us their pick from Indy and their #2...or if Dallas wants to give us their 2 #1s...GREAT. I just don't see that happening. 12 is an ugly spot to be in this year if ya don't need a RB or CB. We may simply be stuck. And if we are...Connor would be one of the guys I want.

That remains to be seen. If he can stay healthy they're going to remember their '07 draft for a long time.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 10:19 AM
His overall health isn't an issue. It was a broken bone. Simply a direct hit to a body part that can heal on it's own and still allow him to be successful. He doesn't have that nagging/recurring ailment that some do. Most of us saw his knee injury in the Orange Bowl...another direct hit on the knee which caused hyperextension...didn't even need surgery...just rehab.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Staying healthy's been an issue.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 10:34 AM
He missed zero games after "blowing out his knee" and he missed his first action EVER after having his arm broken...I still don't see it as something to be concerned about...JMHO.

aberdien
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Dan Connor is a guy who i'd be happy with.