PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Marshall, Scheffler say their goodbyes

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14119473

Wrestling with the idea their 6-0 start dissolved into the team's fourth consecutive playoff miss, the Broncos players packed up their things this morning, traded autographs and headed into an offseason that figures to be filled with change.

"I don't know what's going to happen," said cornerback Champ Bailey. "Nothing's definite."

The Broncos filed out of the locker room after a short team meeting knowing that many new faces will likely be arriving during the coming weeks and months.

Two players who figure to have played in their last games as Broncos players are wide receiver Brandon Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler. Both were benched for Sunday's season finale against the Chiefs and barred from the Broncos sideline.

Marshall had said a hamstring injury would have kept him out of the 44-24 loss to the Chiefs, but head coach Josh McDaniels said Friday it was simply a "coaching decision" and that other players were set to play with more serious injuries.

Marshall was punished for being late for a treatment session on the hamstring on Friday. Scheffler was benched for what were described as attitude issues, McDaniels said last week.

Today, both players sounded as if they are ready to move on.

"I've grown a lot and appreciate the opportunity to be here for four years and the opportunity still to play football," Marshall said. "I'm excited about the opportunity."

Asked if he wanted to be back, Marshall said: "Not my decision." He then added, "I just want to let my agent handle all that stuff and I'll just go from there."

Both players said they had not spoken to McDaniels since last week and Scheffler said he was still uncertain why he has not allowed to play Sunday.

"I haven't talked to him and I don't think I will," Scheffler said. "I guess that's just the way things are going to be handled and something I've got to live with and just kind of know in my mind what happened."

Marshall and Scheffler are among the Broncos' restricted free agents, which means they can receive offers from other teams and the Broncos then have seven days to match an offer or let the player go to a new team.

"Obviously there's a lot of opportunities elsewhere," Scheffler said. "I'm still wondering (what was said), obviously I haven't talked to the head coach. I would think my reputation in this league is as a hard-working guy that will stretch the field. I think there's a place for me somewhere else."

CoachChaz
01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Adios

In-com-plete
01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
In 1 years time we will have pretty much gotten rid of most of the players that were in probably the Broncos best draft ever.

:shocked:

Northman
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Peace out bitches!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Bye Marsh.

You're just one in the long line that will and will continue to vacate Denver as fast as you can.

I don't blame ya one bit. Good luck wherever you end up!

Northman
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Dont let the door hit ya on the way out pussies!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
In 1 years time we will have pretty much gotten rid of most of the players that were in probably the Broncos best draft ever.

:shocked:

We're trying to reach Detroit Lion level of futility here... stop it.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Bye fellas, thanks for the memories and highlight reel footage. Good luck to you in the future.

:salute:

claymore
01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Take McDaniels with you!

SOCALORADO.
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Take McDaniels with you!

And Claymore! :D

In-com-plete
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM

I don't really think that's what we're trying to do.

But not playing Scheff and Marshall did not give the Broncos a better chance of winning yesterday. I know that for sure.

What else I know is that McD was trying to get rid of Scheff as soon as he signed on.

jrelway
01-04-2010, 02:35 PM
goodbye marshall. wish things were different. another jersey to pack away in the back of the closet.

EMB6903
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Marshall isnt going anywhere.

RedFalcon
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
That's just too bad. Two good players will leave because one egomaniac head coach!

UnderArmour
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Marshall isnt going anywhere.

I don't think so either. I think everything is worked out and he's back next season. If a new CBA is signed, we're definitely tagging him.

camdisco24
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I dont want guys on OUR team that dont want to be here.
See ya! Hope they both end up on 1-15 teams.

BroncoHusker
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I hope things can be worked out with Marshall. He's a great receiver and not easily replaceable imo.

Tony is a good TE, but not irreplaceable.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/marshall-91724-scheffler-telling.html

ENGLEWOOD -- Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler shared a going-away hug in the locker room that was symbolic and telling. More telling might have been Marshall’s locker, which he completely cleaned out – including the nameplate and the stickers that signified his No. 15, leaving only a small sticker players wore on their helmets earlier this season for breast cancer awareness.

After what transpired the past week, both seem destined to play somewhere else next year. Marshall was called out for the severity of his hamstring injury Friday by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and was inactive Sunday, and Scheffler was a healthy scratch for Sunday’s game. Both are free agents this offseason.

Marshall stopped to talk to the media as players checked out for the offseason today, and was asked if he thinks he’ll be back with the Broncos “I’m not sure, that’s not my decision,” Marshall said. “It’s up to my agent and the Broncos.

“I love playing football and I love being a Bronco. I’m going to take these next couple of months and enjoy my family.”

Marshall also didn’t get into whether he could have played Sunday and the rift with McDaniels, saying, “That’s all in the past now.” He said he hadn’t spoken to McDaniels.

Scheffler hadn’t spoken to McDaniels either.

“I haven’t talked to him and I don’t think I will,” Scheffler said. “I guess that’s the way things are going to be handled and that’s something I have to live with and know in my own mind what happened and move on.”

Scheffler said he gave 100 percent all year, bought into the system and he played the best he could. He was benched for Sunday’s game, but denied he ever said that he wanted the season to be over after the Philadelphia game, as some reports indicated.

Scheffler did address whether there is a disconnect between McDaniels and the players, like himself and Marshall, who were brought in while Mike Shanahan was coach.

“Any locker room is going to have its issues with a new coach and 60 percent new guys and 40 percent holdovers from the old regime the old system – there’s obviously going to be issues," Scheffler said. "I think coach is working on taking those issues away. If that means moving players out of here and getting his own deal going, that’s the NFL and that’s something you have to live with. That’s why there’s 32 teams.”

Scheffler was asked if Shanahan’s holdovers were treated fairly.

“No comment on that,” Scheffler said.

Scheffler seems very unlikely to be back, but wouldn’t close the door on that.

“If something works out here then so be it, but it’s too hard to tell right now,” Scheffler said.

Gamechanger
01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
we'll take Scheffler's injured ass =/

/sarcasm

lameduck33
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
well, marshall would look good in a redskins or bears uni, moss and marshall would pose some seriouse issues for defenses.

BCJ
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM

please leave then. Nothing here is for you except crying. I am sure their is a team near the Canadian border that you can latch onto. Just because Bowlen is from your area, doesnt mean you have to be a "diehard fan" like you state under your name.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
this thread is about marshall-scheffler

Watchthemiddle
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
That's just too bad. Two good players will leave because one egomaniac head coach!

Has anyone posted or mentioned that some veteran players went to McDaniels this week and told him he needed to take a stand??

Heard it this morning on the Rome Show....he was saying reports are out that Veteran leaders of the team said to McDaniels that he needed to take a stand and put his foot down.

SO blame McD all you want, it looks like there were some leaders on the team tired of the SHeffler/Marshall act as well.

Watchthemiddle
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I dont want guys on OUR team that dont want to be here.
See ya! Hope they both end up on 1-15 teams.

Maybe they can both end up with CUtler and all the predictions point to them going to the super bowl again only to end up 7-9....:laugh:

We might have not finished well in our re-building year this year, but atleast we weren't picked by many to go to the Bowl.

weazel
01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
“I love playing football and I love being a Bronco. I’m going to take these next couple of months and enjoy my family.”

when he's not slapping them around, that is.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think so either. I think everything is worked out and he's back next season. If a new CBA is signed, we're definitely tagging him.

We tag him so that we can trade him. NO WAY.. this coach wants anyone on the team that doesn't show complete 'loyalty' to Him... thats considered "not taking accountability."

Marshall won't be here, nor will Sheff. They won't get it worked out, neither wants to get it worked out. Marshall wants gone, McD think he wants him gone.

Northman
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
We tag him so that we can trade him. NO WAY.. this coach wants anyone on the team that doesn't show complete 'loyalty' to Him... thats considered "not taking accountability."

Marshall won't be here, nor will Sheff. They won't get it worked out, neither wants to get it worked out. Marshall wants gone, McD think he wants him gone.

I agree.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Has anyone posted or mentioned that some veteran players went to McDaniels this week and told him he needed to take a stand??

Heard it this morning on the Rome Show....he was saying reports are out that Veteran leaders of the team said to McDaniels that he needed to take a stand and put his foot down.

SO blame McD all you want, it looks like there were some leaders on the team tired of the SHeffler/Marshall act as well.

Yeah.. then our leader, Dawkins, was SURE to point out multible times during his press interview that he had NOTHING to do with such claims. Weird that the most vocal, and most respected of the leaders on this team are being sure to say they DIDN'T have such a stand or statement to McD.

I would say its more likely, that this was leaked by the coaching staff to get the fans on his side.

Northman
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah.. then our leader, Dawkins, was SURE to point out multible times during his press interview that he had NOTHING to do with such claims. Weird that the most vocal, and most respected of the leaders on this team are being sure to say they DIDN'T have such a stand or statement to McD.

I would say its more likely, that this was leaked by the coaching staff to get the fans on his side.

You have a link for that presser? I want to view or read it as i havent heard anything about that.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
You have a link for that presser? I want to view or read it as i havent heard anything about that.

I can get it for you later. I'm at the work computer and can't log into the other message board from here, for some reason. But they were showing it there. Dawkins looked right into the camera, twice, and said he had NOTHING to do with such a discussion with McDaniels (after being asked about the 'captains' going to McDaniels).

Broncolingus
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I dont know if I have a problem with either of these dudes per se - both did contribute to the team over there time here - and I certainly dont know where the blame is for what this all has come to now (probably some on both sides), but it's obvious neither want to play in Denver anymore and thus (and bottom line), it's time to say adios gentlemen...

rcsodak
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM

THE SKY IS FALLING......THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Medford Bronco
01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
goodbye marshall. wish things were different. another jersey to pack away in the back of the closet.

you dont have to do that, I still wear my Clinton Portis jersey with pride:beer:

rcsodak
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't really think that's what we're trying to do.

But not playing Scheff and Marshall did not give the Broncos a better chance of winning yesterday. I know that for sure.

What else I know is that McD was trying to get rid of Scheff as soon as he signed on.

I guess I must've missed all the ProBowls on his resume.

And the 16gm seasons he played.

I'm sure Gates is feeling better about his chances, already.

:coffee:

rcsodak
01-04-2010, 09:16 PM

At least we know why you love him so much.

I believe Gaffney proved BM won't be missed that much.

He's a great wr with a pisspoor attitude.

If he'd change his attitude, he'd be a keeper. Imo.

rcsodak
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Link?

Serious didn't see this.

shank
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
i remember dawk saying that marshall and scheffler not playing had nothing to do with why they lost.

until i see a link, i'm going to assume that you are re-contextualizing that quote... i looked for this vid, but can't find it.

dogfish
01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
yea, rav, i need to see that one myself. . .

pnbronco
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
i remember dawk saying that marshall and scheffler not playing had nothing to do with why they lost.

That's what I heard Dawk saying, he repeated it several times.

sneakers
01-05-2010, 12:19 AM
After what happened last offseason, I would be pretty frightened too, but then again.....how could it get worse than last offseason?