PDA

View Full Version : Broncos target WR Bryant Johnson

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
The Broncos are reportedly considering free agents Bryant Johnson and Bernard Berrian to pair with Brandon Marshall in 2008.

Johnson will come considerably cheaper than Berrian. Randy Moss is also said to be on Denver's radar, though he's not expected to leave Foxborough.
Source: Denver Post

Drill-N-Fill
02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Johnson would make me say "screw you, Javon"

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
The Broncos are reportedly considering free agents Bryant Johnson and Bernard Berrian to pair with Brandon Marshall in 2008.

Johnson will come considerably cheaper than Berrian. Randy Moss is also said to be on Denver's radar, though he's not expected to leave Foxborough.
Source: Denver Post

That would be a damn good signing...........Get rid of Walker and Gold....sign Johnson and draft all Defense, with the exception of a Tackle maybe in the 5th.

SR
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Johnson would make me say "screw you, Javon"

Two times. Johnson is a badass. Being a Cards fan, I've seen him play plenty and he is starting material on most teams in the league.

turftoad
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! This would be a huge signing for us. We still need more, esspecially if Walker is indeed gone.

WARHORSE
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Randy Moss?

Drill-N-Fill
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Two times. Johnson is a badass. Being a Cards fan, I've seen him play plenty and he is starting material on most teams in the league.

I haven't seen him much. He would def be starting here. I hear he is a good blocker. Is he a position guy/deep threat? Whats his height/weight. All I know he has really come on the last year and half.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I haven't seen him much. He would def be starting here. I hear he is a good blocker. Is he a position guy/deep threat? Whats his height/weight. All I know he has really come on the last year and half.

6'3'' 215

silkamilkamonico
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
How high of a contract are we willing to go? It's going to turn into a bidding war for free agents like Johnson. I don't wanna spend too much money on him.

lex
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/807761,CST-SPT-bearnt22.article

Bears in Brief: Berrian a goner? Not yet

February 22, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- Don't count out the return of Bernard Berrian just yet.

As the deadline to place the franchise tag on players passed Thursday afternoon, agent Drew Rosenhaus was huddling with Bears general manager Jerry Angelo at the combine.

RELATED STORIES
Future definitely is now for Gabriel
Bears already Rex-messaging The Bears have made what Angelo called ''aggressive'' offers to Berrian, linebacker Lance Briggs and defensive tackle Tommie Harris -- all three represented by Rosenhaus -- and Angelo said there is room for negotiating. The Bears also want to retain Pro Bowl special-teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Berrian is believed to be seeking a whopper of a contract: more than $20million over the first three years of a deal.

That's Plan A.

''It's certainly going to leave some holes in terms of having experienced people,'' Angelo said of the prospect of not re-signing Berrian. ''We've been in that situation before. We do have younger players, obviously without the experience. If things don't work out, we have a Plan B that we can go to. We're prepared to go one way or the other.''

That second option casts Mark Bradley, the second-round pick in 2005, in an important role. The Bears have not talked up Bradley like this since drafting him three years ago.

''Mark Bradley has been very productive when given an opportunity to play,'' coach Lovie Smith said. ''From his rookie year on, he's fought injuries and things like that.''

He didn't get much of a chance last season, when he caught just six balls. Angelo said the coaching staff admitted that was a mistake.

Part of the alternative approach might include the draft. With an influx of early entrants, Angelo said wide receiver is a strong position. But in retooling the offense, he'll likely need some experience, maybe someone such as Arizona's Bryant Johnson.

Then there's Bradley again, plus the hope that Devin Hester can blossom as a No. 1 receiver.

''If you grade the flashes, you like what you see because when [Bradley] is on the field, big plays happen,'' Angelo said. ''But he's got to do it on a consistent basis.

''Do we feel good about him? Are we going to have other people competing? Certainly.''

Back of 'Lach
Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher is rehabilitating from neck surgery in Phoenix, while safety Mike Brown is working his way back from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament in San Diego. Smith downplayed the significance of Urlacher's surgery, noting that Urlacher finished the season playing some of his best football of the year. But Urlacher now has at least a minor neck injury to recover from, to go with a chronic back ailment.

''I know, whenever you say 'minor' and you're talking neck, that is a little bit different,'' Smith said. ''But Brian will be fine. We all get older. How did he finish the season? Look at his play.''

Smith and Angelo both said they want to bring back Brown, who turned 30 this month. That likely will require a reworked contract. Brown is scheduled to earn $2.44million and has a cap figure of $3.16 million. He might get that pay, but it probably would require playing-time incentives.

Extra points
The Bears wasted little time replacing assistant special-teams coach Kevin O'Dea, hiring Chris Tabor from Western Michigan, where he coached running backs and special teams. Tabor worked previously with special-teams coordinator Dave Toub at Missouri.

• • Here's one draft scenario that could play out: The Bears trade down from No. 14 and pick an offensive tackle while adding depth in later rounds. There should be enough tackles to go around. The tale of the tape Thursday showed Michigan's Jake Long at 6-7, 313 pounds; Boise State's Ryan Clady at 6-6, 309; and Vanderbilt's Chris Williams at 6-6, 315.

• • The Bears chose the busiest day of the offseason so far to announce an across-the-board hike of ticket prices. All non-club seats will go up $3 or $4 and now range from $68 to $108. Club seats increase $10 each and range from $245 to $350. Invoices to season-ticket holders will be mailed March 7.

The Bears have 30 mil of cap space. The Broncos have a little over half that. There's no way Denver is signing Berrian.

lex
02-22-2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/800856,CST-SPT-bear19.article

Bears to Muhsin: Vamoose
Re-sign Brown, offer deals to Briggs, Berrian, Harris

February 19, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
The contracts the Bears proposed Monday could reverberate long after the moves they made are forgotten.

General manager Jerry Angelo began the team's offseason reshaping with a flurry of offers, sending contract proposals to linebacker Lance Briggs, defensive tackle Tommie Harris, wide receiver Bernard Berrian and special-teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo.

» Click to enlarge image

The Bears released veteran wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, who turns 35 in May.
(AP)

CAST YOUR VOTE
Should the Bears bring back Rex Grossman?

Yes

No

RELATED STORIES
Q&A with Jerry Angelo: Optimistic about Urlacher

Keep-your-own-talent philosophy remains intact
Bears RB Wolfe shocked, saddened
Inside the Bears: Updates from our blog

Vote: Should the Bears bring back Rex Grossman?
That came on the same day the team cut ties with right tackle Fred Miller, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad and defensive tackle Darwin Walker and re-signed defensive end Alex Brown to a two-year, $15.5 million extension.

And the whirlwind of activity occurred two days before the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where team officials are expected to meet with the agent for quarterback Rex Grossman regarding a new deal.

Whew.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus represents the four players the Bears are trying to keep, and it's believed each offer is under consideration with free agency set to open in nine days. All but Harris, who's signed through the 2008 season, will be unrestricted free agents. It has been thought that Briggs was long gone, but an offer at this stage signals a serious commitment to keeping the three-time Pro Bowl selection.
The Bears began the day with $20 million in available salary-cap room, and that number is now near $30 million. Angelo could knock out the majority of his free-agent spending before the market opens if he can find common ground with Rosenhaus and his clients. The Bears then could proceed with a plan to draft an offensive tackle in the first two rounds, add a defensive tackle as insurance for Dusty Dvoracek and be poised to make a third playoff run in four years.

Re-signing Berrian is an important step, considering Devin Hester, Mark Bradley and Mike Hass are the only wide receivers under contract. Berrian had a career-high 71 receptions for 951 yards last season. While most view him as a No. 2 receiver, he could command big bucks in a market thin on wideouts.

Brown didn't have to be coaxed into an extension with two years left on a contract that now has him in place through 2011. He had stated his desire for an extension or trade at the end of the season and was prepared to boycott the offseason program before a deal was brokered by Joel Segal, who also represents Muhammad.

Brown will arrive from Puerto Rico today to sign the contract, which will pay him $5 million up front with salaries of $5 million in 2010 and $5.5 million in 2011.

''Half the battle when you're trying to get a team better is that everyone is happy,'' Brown said. ''I'm definitely happy.''

He lost his starting job to Mark Anderson last season but was considered a third starter by the team. With Anderson sidelined for the last two games, Brown had two sacks, a forced fumble, an interception and four passes defended. Before agreeing to the deal, he spoke with coach Lovie Smith and came away satisfied.

''Nothing has been promised,'' Brown said. ''I will have an opportunity to go in and compete for the job.''

Muhammad turns 35 in May, and while he might have some productive seasons left, it's unlikely he'll be a starter. He had a $500,000 roster bonus due March 4 and was to earn $1.6 million next season. Segal commended the team for the early release.

Muhammad's departure creates an opening for Bradley but doesn't signal an opening for Marty Booker. The ex-Bear will visit the New England Patriots today and could sign before leaving.

Walker was done in by finances; there was no way the team was going to pay him a $5.2 million roster bonus. Miller gutted out an injury-plagued season that required ankle surgery, but the Bears decided to get younger on the line.

MOVING DAY

Tebow4Ever
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Are there no Brandon Stokely fans around? He is still pretty decent as a slot receiver isnt he?

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Are there no Brandon Stokely fans around? He is still pretty decent as a slot receiver isnt he?

The point of getting another receiver is so we can move and keep Stokely in as a slot receiver.

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
This should be the only "major" free agent signing we should pursue.

I've been begging for it for weeks. This would be ideal. To me, if we sign Bryant Johnson we basically have in place the same offense for the next 3-5 years outside of the rotating running back and Nalen.

It would be so nice to have a WR tandem that will be content in their roles and play with passion.

Here's hoping we get this done!

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
It will be nice to have another good down field blocker. Stokely is good in the slot and shouldn't have to be the #2 who struggles to maintain down field blocks. This will not only help Cutler, but our running game.

atwater27
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Bryant Johnson would be a fine aquisition

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
johnson is ok. i wouldnt mind having him.
his stats could get a huge boost since he wont be having to play behind 2 all pro recievers.

lex
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
johnson is ok. i wouldnt mind having him.
his stats could get a huge boost since he wont be having to play behind 2 all pro recievers.

I think it depends on how often he's on the field with Stokley and Scheffler. When either of them are on the field, I wouldnt be shocked if they are an option ahead of Johnson. He does sound like he has a little Rod Smith in him (get your minds out of the gutter).

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I think it depends on how often he's on the field with Stokley and Scheffler. When either of them are on the field, I wouldnt be shocked if they are an option ahead of Johnson.

i shouldnt of said huge boost but i expect more touchdowns then only 2.

Slick
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Johnson would be nice. I'd settle for Clayton from TB as well. Either one when paired with Marshall could get us back to the days when we had Rod and Eddie laying people out on running plays.

Then we could look for a speed guy in the draft for the deep threat/special teams need. Let Stokley show him the ropes.

Escobar
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
yall like game winning touchdown drops? go for it then :laugh:

RiversSucks
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
yall like game winning touchdown drops? go for it then :laugh:

No, we just don't like receivers who kick and scream, talk about themselves in the third person, injury proned player, and who just want more cash.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I like this news...but it's all about the follow thru

Hoshdude7
02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
How tall is he? We need big, tough receivers

mopatt24
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I would love this move.

He'll be a nice complement to B. Marsh with Stoke in the slot.

Make it happen FO

Requiem / The Dagda
02-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I think this was pretty much expected. Drop Javon, you need a legitimate #2 or at least someone who has potential. I'd assume that we'd toss in another young rookie after this, but I like the prospect these guys on the squad.

threefolddead
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
No, we just don't like receivers who kick and scream, talk about themselves in the third person, injury proned player, and who just want more cash.

And I thought we all loved Lelie... Hehe

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Get a 5th for Javon. Sign Bryant Johnson and use that 5th rounder on Darius Reynaud, WR, West Virginia.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Get a 5th for Javon. Sign Bryant Johnson and use that 5th rounder on Darius Reynaud, WR, West Virginia.

Gives us a legitimate slot/sub package threat in Reynaud, as well as a returner. I'd love liked to see what he could have done in a more pass orientated offense. He was the go to receiver there, and did quite well given the circumstances with the offense. Nice idea dude. :beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I LOVE Reynaud. He's my sleeper of the draft. Strong as an ox even though he's a smaller WR. Makes plays...like you said...in a running O. He's more short at 5'10 than small at 200lbs.

Watchthemiddle
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
How tall is he? We need big, tough receivers

6'3 about 215.

shank
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
6'3 about 215.

truth. he def fits the 'denver receiver' mold. i'd love to have him.

JONtheBRONCO
02-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I really, really, really hope this happens.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Johnson flew under the radar once again this season, but those in the know consider him fairly talented. He’s been over-shadowed by star receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, but Johnson runs great routes, has good hands, and at 6’3” his size makes him an appealing option. He’s caught at least 35 passes in each of his five seasons, including 49 receptions in 2004, and has a touchdown scored in each season, with four coming in ’06. Although he had a slight drop-off in production this season, Johnson will likely find a bigger role in another offense in ’08.

Timmy!
02-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Johnson would be almost perfect as our #2.

Stargazer
02-23-2008, 03:34 AM
I hope Denver signs him and cut/trade Javon Walker.

lex
02-23-2008, 05:28 AM
How much does everyone think he will cost?

Scarface
02-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Either one would be a good pick-up. I kind of prefer to get a speedster on the edge to stretch the defense. We already have the beastly receiver that can do it all, the perfect slot WR, and a TE that can stretch the middle of the field. Berrian's speed and Cutler's arm would go together like a booger to a nose.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 08:59 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/bryant-johnson.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/PNP115_Brown_Cardin_7473785.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/01222007_002.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL/72156715.jpg

BOSSHOGG30
02-23-2008, 07:15 PM
What do you guys think about Devery Henderson of the Saints.... He might be a decent and cheap #2 guy. He would give the Broncos that speedy down field threat that a lot of you are asking for.

claymore
02-23-2008, 07:21 PM
What do you guys think about Devery Henderson of the Saints.... He might be a decent and cheap #2 guy. He would give the Broncos that speedy down field threat that a lot of you are asking for.

I think he is a cheap Berrian. He has definite potential.

BOSSHOGG30
02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I still like Johnson, Hackett, or Wilford, but Henderson would be the #1 speed threat if we are looking for speed instead of big targets that lack speed.

claymore
02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I still like Johnson, Hackett, or Wilford, but Henderson would be the #1 speed threat if we are looking for speed instead of big targets that lack speed.

I agree. We need to be able to stretch the field this year. And to be honest the way things worked out. I wish we would have never cut Lelie and got Walker. He would put up some numbers with Cutler.

Hoshdude7
02-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I agree. We need to be able to stretch the field this year. And to be honest the way things worked out. I wish we would have never cut Lelie and got Walker. He would put up some numbers with Cutler.

Your hilarious.
:lol:

aberdien
02-24-2008, 12:35 AM
I'd be happy with either of them, but I really wish the Raiders would release Ronald Curry for no reason, because he has great hands and I want him. Or Jason Avant, although they both aren't really speed receivers.

shank
02-24-2008, 12:41 AM
i have 0 interest in berrian.

my roommate is a huge bears fan and isn't even very sad to see him go (despite having a terrible group of receivers). he's a one trick pony just like lelie was and you can clearly see that his head is just as big. you guys realize berrian's asking price is 8m/yr right? he's not even an option.

i'm still very on board with johnson. he's a big guy just like marshall, but both are still able to go deep damned well for their size. someone like devry would be a nice addition, but i don't think he's near complete enough of a wideout to be a #2.

aberdien
02-24-2008, 12:48 AM
i have 0 interest in berrian.

my roommate is a huge bears fan and isn't even very sad to see him go (despite having a terrible group of receivers). he's a one trick pony just like lelie was and you can clearly see that his head is just as big. you guys realize berrian's asking price is 8m/yr right? he's not even an option.

i'm still very on board with johnson. he's a big guy just like marshall, but both are still able to go deep damned well for their size. someone like devry would be a nice addition, but i don't think he's near complete enough of a wideout to be a #2.

But Berrian did return kicks at Fresno State, but we still get someone cheaper for that.

shank
02-24-2008, 01:19 AM
But Berrian did return kicks at Fresno State, but we still get someone cheaper for that.

rossum got released from the steelers...

i still don't give a rat's ascot (it's a hat...) who we put back there, even if we spend a freaking 12 on deshaun jackson, we are not going to get productivity out of our returners until we get better at blocking for them.

and i don't care if berrian is a servicable punter, place holder, and water boy too, he's not worth the 8 million he wants. ( to put it in perspective, i've heard many people who expect randy moss to get around 8 million per if he remains in NE)

Stargazer
02-24-2008, 06:08 AM
and i don't care if berrian is a servicable punter, place holder, and water boy too, he's not worth the 8 million he wants.

He's not, and because of his price tag, don't expect Denver to sign him.

WARHORSE
02-24-2008, 06:43 AM
NO WRs in round one.

If Walker goes, I'll take Johnson.