PDA

View Full Version : Game observations

Superchop 7
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I was there...

Defense looked like they were out of it all game.

Physically beat up ?

Mentally ?

Not sure, but even Dawkins wasn't himself.

Best effort was Holliday.

But 1 guy can only do so much.

Offensively.....

Same old Orton.

Did not see a wide open (by 20 yards) Hillis for an easy score. (3rd qtr)

Can't throw on the run.

Missed throws when tired.

Run game ?

The difference between Buck and Mo is this.

Buck heads to "whatever" hole is open.

Mo heads to where the play is designed.

Fuel for thought.

WARHORSE
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I think our Dline is beat up. As well as our LBers.

And safeties.

Defenses that spend lots of time on the field get beat up.

Lonestar
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
What I saw today in the game with limited replays as it was on local TV and NO DVR on that..

I saw a team fighting till the last even after all hope was gone..

Orton had a personal best day IIRC.. more pass attempts than ever more completions more yards.. and unfortunately because they were behind most of the day two more Picks than was necessary.. Orton kept plays alive today stepping up in the pocket a bunch of times today, only to have a lot of in the hands drops.. He hit several players on more than 20 yard deep plays IIRC there were 6 or more if I read the graphic correctly..

Graham wow what a lack of performance out there today dropped at least 3 ball he should have caught and one that he did catch late in the game about 5 minutes to go he opted for an extra yard verses going out of bounds to save time on the clock.. dumb move by a veteran really dumb move..

Champ was burned several times by nobodies that there is NO FILM on, not sure what happened there but he go beat up today..

Nobody could stop a RB AGAIN seems when RB want to set records either NFL or club records they wait for our D to show up or in these case NOT SHOW UP.. 300 plus yard on the ground how can any offensive team win a game giving up that kind of yardage..

Gaffney lit it up today is it a sign for the future or was he having a contract game?

Moreno showed what he has all year flashes on greatness.

Bucky tried but running for daylight was about all he had..

our Oline showed what it has the latter part of the year can't open a hole for a RB to save their lives...

not sure why Hillis was returning kicks unless the barrel is that empty..

our punter nailed a couple of great inside the red zone punts today and would have had one more if momentum would have helped us out on the Barret one late in the game..

defense had a melt down.. I suspect it is a combo being massively undersized on the D line Fields our NT is or at least started the season at 305.. come one folks that is so weak it is funny..

the other DE's are about the right size but whether they are any good I can't tell you ..

What I did not see was a couple of petulant kids on the field today causing an issue, going through the motions until the season is over..

there is more but those are thing I saw today..

what I see soon:
marshal being tendered a high RFA tender, which will make him about $3.3 mil next year. that is 50% more than this years contract.. if someone wants to make him an offer we get a first and a third I'll take that in a heart beat..

Scheffler will be traded IF someone will offer something for him as he will also be a RFA. if not We will get a 2nd or less for him.. I would think he will get somewhere near 800K from us if not..

Orton will be resigned to a longer term contract that is friendly to our cap..

Doom will be resigned or get the same high tender that marshall gets.. that mean 50% more salary than he got this year.. not a deal breaker..

I would think that someone will be a franchise tag.. not sure whom as it could be Marshall or Doom.. still a bargain for us because there is not guarantee and no long term cap implications..

I think I was right along about Marshall much to my dismay I really thought he had grownup during the year.. but almost to the minute of him getting a Pro bowl invite he turned in his I'm greater than the team routine..

sorry as he has all the tools to be a great one.. but I suspect he will bounce all over the league going from team to team until his welcome runs out.. Baby TO redux

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
OL - Sucks.

QB - Sucks.

WR - Playing with scrubs except for Gaffney

RB's - keyed on.. Suck. KnoMo is the RB of the future here... knowing this franchise they'll trade him for a used jock.

DL - Sucks

LB's - Suck except for Doom

DB's - Off game. Champ has lost a step, Dawk sucked today.

Can't win with that much suck.

What am I forgetting?

This team doesn't deserve more effort than that.

A lot of changes need to be made for next season. They didn't have their heads in the game today and it showed to me at least.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Regarding your NT comment Jr. It seems to me that this last half of the year when we've gotten hurt in the running game is runs to the outside. I think Fields has done a fine job in the middle. . .not pro-bowl, but a decent job.

It's on the outside where we're getting gashed. Our ends and OLB aren't getting the job done imo.

Day1BroncoFan
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM
I saw the D start off slow. They were burned early for two critical plays that ended in a TD. I saw them get burned for some penalties that kept a drive alive and led to a score. They cannot stop a good running back.

The O faultered as they have done all year. More three and outs than I care to remember. I saw Orton throw two pick 6's by making bad decisions. Our O line cannot block for some reason. Is Harris that critical to our O'line? I saw several dropped passed by our recievers.

I saw a team in disarray that looked like they shouldn't have even had a chance to be in the playoffs.

Take away the two pick 6 and it was a lot closer.

Lonestar
01-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Regarding your NT comment Jr. It seems to me that this last half of the year when we've gotten hurt in the running game is runs to the outside. I think Fields has done a fine job in the middle. . .not pro-bowl, but a decent job.

It's on the outside where we're getting gashed. Our ends and OLB aren't getting the job done imo.

could be but if the NT is not being moved around the DE's can stay home more and not be doubled because the NT is being singled..

IIRC most of this guys yards today where inside the OT's but I might have missed that as I could not TIVO it and replay at will..

I think overall he has done a yeomans job at it, but I guess I'd like more let him back up a stud NT does that make sense..

I'm a firm believer that NT need to be 330 plus

I also know there are exceptions to that rule but not many.. the really good ones are usually in the 340+ range..

Lonestar
01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
I saw the D start off slow. They were burned early for two critical plays that ended in a TD. I saw them get burned for some penalties that kept a drive alive and led to a score. They cannot stop a good running back.

The O faultered as they have done all year. More three and outs than I care to remember. I saw Orton throw two pick 6's by making bad decisions. Our O line cannot block for some reason. Is Harris that critical to our O'line? I saw several dropped passed by our recievers.

I saw a team in disarray that looked like they shouldn't have even had a chance to be in the playoffs.

Take away the two pick 6 and it was a lot closer.

one of those pick sixes was a brilliant play by derrick hiding in the weeds behind the two OLine guys C and OG and one of their DT's no way Orton could have seen him behind them he was throwing to a wide open Graham who would have most likely dropped it anyway.

that was the back breaker IMHO.. but they were fight back when the last one happened.. and frankly they WR should have made sure the defender did not get it.. not excusing Orton but rule two is WR class is if you can't get the ball make sure the DB does not..

When you playing from behind all game the DL is coming to get you.. Speaking of which Hali owns Clady ..

We all forget that KC has sucked for 4-5 years and has been sucking up top draft choice and they have a lot of talent on the field there major problem was coaching and that may be fixed now..

Overtime
01-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I

Same old Orton.

Did not see a wide open (by 20 yards) Hillis for an easy score. (3rd qtr)

Can't throw on the run.

Missed throws when tired.

but BaileyTheBest would have you believe Orton has been solid all year long....:rolleyes:

Tned-Mobile
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM

you are correct, tonight, and recent games, it has been runs to the outside. Not sure if the LB's aren't setting the edge, or what is happening, but they bust a slow developing run to the outside, and then wammo, they bust out for 10-20 yeards.

As to the Champ, i didn't get much replay, because I was in the stadium, but most of the big plays I saw were to Goodman's side. I think there was a PI on champ, in addition to the one that they waved off, but can't remember (drank a lot after the game to forget).

As Chop said, Orton missed a wide open Hillis, but it seemed clear that Orton didn't scan the field, but instead mostly went to one receiver, and at best one half of the field when he got flushed out of pocket.

Saying that, other than Hillis being wide open for a TD when he was lined up out wide, for the most part our receivers were well covered.

As to Orton having a good game but for a few late picks, NOT.

The handful of big gains he had were bad throws and GREAT catches by WR's,. including the short throw to Stokely in the endzone.

The first two picks were awful, especially the first one, and the third was the closest thing to a "from behind throw" which was a jump ball in the endzone that our WR never really had a play on. Orton may have put up big yards, but he did NOT have a great or career night, he really stunk it up. Even a lot of the receptions were WR's bailing him out with great catches.

I will have to watch it on my DVR, but I don't remember Cassel ever hitting the dirt, and orton only a couple times.

Day1BroncoFan
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
one of those pick sixes was a brilliant play by derrick hiding in the weeds behind the two OLine guys C and OG and one of their DT's no way Orton could have seen him behind them he was throwing to a wide open Graham who would have most likely dropped it anyway.

that was the back breaker IMHO.. but they were fight back when the last one happened.. and frankly they WR should have made sure the defender did not get it.. not excusing Orton but rule two is WR class is if you can't get the ball make sure the DB does not..

When you playing from behind all game the DL is coming to get you.. Speaking of which Hali owns Clady ..

We all forget that KC has sucked for 4-5 years and has been sucking up top draft choice and they have a lot of talent on the field there major problem was coaching and that may be fixed now..

Both of those passes were right in the chest of the defender. The first one looked to me like he had a good look. I agree with you on the fact that Clady was not doing well. I mentioned that our O'line wasn't blocking.

Easy out to say that the reciever would have dropped it anyway, probably true though. Like I said our offense has faultered all year not just this game. I think they did actually manage to mount two decent drives during the whole game.

It wasn't like they were all that behind either, at least until Orton threw the second int.

You can make excuses if you want but they played like crap today and for the most part all year on offense. The only reason we went 8-8 was because of the defense in my opinion.

missingnumber7
01-04-2010, 09:17 AM
but BaileyTheBest would have you believe Orton has been solid all year long....:rolleyes:

yea solidly underthrowing recievers down the field all year long.

spikerman
01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I originally posted this in another thread but it seems to fit here.....

Ok, I just got back to my hotel after the game (and dinner) and here's what I saw. I want to caveat this by saying I haven't read through ANY of the threads so sorry if I repeat something.

1. It was friggin' cold in the stands today.
2. There was a distinct lack of energy from both the fans and the team. This was definitely NOT a rockin' NFL stadium. It was extremely quiet (well quieter than I would have expected anyway).
3. I'm an old slow white guy and I could have run through the holes Charles and the rest of the Chiefs had today. Not only was nobody in position to make a play on him, but when somebody finally got a chance they made a piss poor attempt at tackling.
4. This team (especially on defense) was not ready to play today.
5. It was friggin' cold in the stands today.
6. Brandon Stokley was running open all day today, but Orton rarely looked at him. Orton was zeroed in on Gaffney today.
7. Orton's first intereception was a terrible throw. The second one was not a great throw, but it was a great play by the linebacker.
8. From the stadium scoreboard it looked like McDaniels should have challenged the possible TD pass right before Stokley caught his. It looked like the knee was down in the end zone.
9. Josh McDaniels picks VERY odd times to call timeouts. It made no sense to call the timeouts when he did at the end of the game.
10. It was friggin' cold in the stands today.

I think that's about it for now. Just my observations from the scene.

I'm sure there's more, but it was a very frustrating day.

missingnumber7
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok...so here's my take on the game...it sucked...but I'll go position by position.

Offense: I'm gonna do the same thing I've been doing all year long...Rip on the play calling. I don't know if Orton is Audibling out of good plays, making wrong decisions in certain settings or McDaniels doesn't understand how to string a group of plays together, but it just don't make sense some times.

QB: Orton isn't the answer to this system, the system uses short passes to draw the safeties up and open up the deep game. But Orton can't hit the deep throw. He is consistenly short with the throw. He was behind recievers all day today. Yes he had a great statistical day, because we were throwing the ball the whole game. The two picks by Johnson were bad, but not horrendous. He made great moves on the ball. The first throw if it had been placed where it should have been, leading Lloyd into the deep, would've been a great play, instead he underthrows it and it gets picked. The second one was an out...if he puts it out infront of Graham...catch in run...instead thrown behind...great move by Johnson...INT.

RB: Buck and Know had decent games considering they had no holes to run through. Know can't run in a zone blocking scheme. He can't find the cutback lane and stays to close to the line. I actually think if you put Knowshon behind a FB he's gonna be a stud. Buck is a good change of pace, and I hope he is here for a long time. He had 2 nice runs through holes that weren't there. And WTF is Hillis doing returning kicks.

TE: Graham looked disinterested in being there. Saw quite a bit of Quinn on the field which was nice and frustrating at the same time. I think we have seen the last of Scheff.

WR: Gaffney is a stud, not a #1 WR, but a stud none the less. Ditto for Stokely, both fit similar roles in this system. With a health Royal and hopefully a resigned Marshall we are set because the Mckinley kid looks to have a future here too. Lloyd played really well yesterday for only suiting up for 2 games. I also think that we have seen the last of Marshall however.

OL: Something was up with these guys. They protected the QB decently in definite passing situations, but they didn't run block worth a lick. The stretch/zone plays were a joke. I think this is a major area of overhaul in the offseason.

Defense: I'm a huge Nolan fan...I think he is the reason we were 6-0 and he bears a portion of the load for us going 2-8.

DL: Did not control the LOS. If the DL don't control the LOS the LB's get their butts handed to them. There were OL from the chefs blocking LB's and even getting off to safeties on run plays. This shouldn't happen. I like Fields as a nose, but we need someone to occupy blocks.

LB: Has anyone seen Elvis? Paging Elvis Doomervil. Another player that I kept waiting to make a big play and it never happened. He had pressure on the QB, but no one else was close enough to make Cassel work. Davis didn't keep gap responsibility at all. He would guess and cheat and get beat. On the last run he was responsible for the Gap the Charles ran through...he cheated and tried to get their by running through the gap next to it and got caught in the wash. DJ looked like he would've rather been chillin with Marshall watching on TV. He didn't give up, but he half assed it several times. Thats not the DJ I'm used to seeing. He's usually the guy jumping on the pile or making a hit on a pile that hasn't stopped yet. IMHO he is done in Denver if we stick with the 3-4. He has been screwed by the constant change in defense scheme and moved more than a military family. I mean Ian Gold basically is given a second chance and they move the future of the defense at the time? DJ is an amazing weak side LB in a 4-3 scheme.

Secondary: I keep seeing people say Champ got burned, but I don't remember seeing him get burned. He is getting thrown at a lot more than he ever has, which means he works alot harder to get where he needs to be. His in the position to make the play 99% of the time. However that being said, tackleing against the run needs to be improved, but all members of the secondary. Goodman disappears during the game until someone tries to sneak a throw or two in against him. I think he has a future oppposite a quality CB but don't think he can be on that island alone. Law had a pick...nuf said. And why is Smith back returning kicks...he sucks worse than Hillis. Dawkins...umm...what can I say...he makes big plays...and he gives up big plays. Honestly over the course of the year I think he made more than he gave up. He's a beast back there, but he leaves his feet and misses tackles on a regular basis. I think that it was the first time I have ever seen a runner slip out of his grasp all year though.

Special Teams: Prater needs to stay for a long time. His KO's for TB's are a huge benefit and it doesn't just happen at Mile High. Berger had a decent game for his last one in a bronco uni. I hope that Colquitt can put it together in the offseason. WE NEED A KICK RETURNER.

Finally here is a list of players that I forsee being gone:
Hamilton
Weigman
DJ Williams
Marshall
Hillis
Scheffler
Graham
Berger
Simms
Jordan
Moss