PDA

View Full Version : Broncos collapse excuse thread - merged because they are all the same anyway

Noway
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
insert it here:

Northman
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Should of just titled the thread: Band-wagoners exit stage left.

SR
01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
^Please do. We as TRUE Bronco fans are better off without 'em.

Noway
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
^Please do. We as TRUE Bronco fans are better off without 'em.

without band-wagoners or excuses? There are plenty of both you know. I must say that as a Bronco hater (long story) most of you folks are pretty realistic about your team. About 90% of you tell it how it is while the others, that drive me nuts, see everything through orange colored glasses and think the Broncos are the best team in the world and will win the Super Bowl every year no matter what.

Dzone
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM
hoping to see SD play Arizona in the SB...

Id like to see more criticism of Mcdaniels...he was hired to be a head coach, not an apprentice...he appeared lost and confused at times.

getlynched47
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
The collapse is acceptable because Josh McDaniels is a rookie head coach :coffee:

Dzone
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
^we cant blame mcdaniels..he's only 33. We should be patient and let him learn on the job...he should be good after he has a couple more seasons to gain some experience.

pumpdoc
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
The collapse is acceptable because Josh McDaniels is a rookie head coach :coffee:

Typical...................................

Noway
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
:coffee:

WOW, REALLY? You're one of the 10%ers that think the Broncos can do no wrong. I'm sorry.

Dzone
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Mcdaniels hasnt shown anybody shit...Nolans defense got us to 6-0. Mcdonalds went 2-8 and out...hard to see much good with this clown in charge...

Northman
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
:coffee:

WOW, REALLY? You're one of the 10%ers that think the Broncos can do no wrong. I'm sorry.

He was being sarcastic. He's a rival fan.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Don't feed the trolls guys.

Ravage!!!
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
By Dave Krieger

On the bright side, players aren't pulling guns on each other in the locker room. The Broncos are clearly less dysfunctional than the Washington Wizards. So they've got that going for them.

On the other hand, they end the season pretty much as they started it, with a young coach who says he's all about team unity and manages to wreak havoc anyway.

For the first time, players are publicly acknowledging a division in the locker room. Tight end Tony Scheffler, deactivated along with receiver Brandon Marshall for today's regular-season finale, said the move "doesn't sit very well with me or some of my teammates."

Meanwhile, first-year coach Josh McDaniels insists that a team without Marshall and Scheffler gives the Broncos their "best opportunity to win" today, an analysis so dubious from a football standpoint that it suggests McDaniels would rather lose with players loyal to him than win with players who are not.

The locker room appears to have broken into two camps — the roughly 60 percent of the roster McDaniels brought in and the roughly 40 percent remaining from last season. McDaniels has now feuded publicly with Marshall, Scheffler and former quarterback Jay Cutler, while substantially reducing the roles of Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Peyton Hillis and Ben Hamilton, all holdovers from the Mike Shanahan regime.

Unfortunately for McDaniels, the best players on the team are mostly Shanahan holdovers. Of the six Broncos named Pro Bowl starters, reserves or alternates, five were here when McDaniels arrived. As he makes the case that his acquisitions — players such as Jabar Gaffney and Knowshon Moreno — give the Broncos their best chance to win, fans who actually watch the games begin to wonder if this is about ability or favoritism.

McDaniels has gone to great lengths, for example, to rationalize Moreno's declining production by blaming an offensive line dominated by Shanahan holdovers, even as other backs exceed Moreno's per-carry averages behind the same line.

The rift with Marshall, the team's most productive offensive player, is of the old-school variety. The coach wants the player to play through a hamstring injury after an MRI showed no major damage. The player, who submitted in a similar situation last season and wound up needing hip surgery, says he can't.

McDaniels chose to escalate this dispute by publicly questioning Marshall's injury. This reflects a rather dramatic double standard on the subject of team unity.

Last summer, Stokley criticized the treatment of long snapper Mike Leach, whom McDaniels cut for no apparent reason other than to bring in his own guy. Scheffler was unhappy with McDaniels' treatment of Cutler. Both players have been on the outs with their coach since, a status reflected in their decreased role in the offense.

In short, under McDaniels, criticism of the coach is destructive of team unity, but criticism of a top player is not.

In response, Marshall suggested McDaniels is seeking scapegoats for his team's collapse since starting the season 6-0. No one in the locker room would have said so publicly had McDaniels not opened the door with his shots at Marshall.

The upside of this divisive strategy for McDaniels is if the Broncos get past the 3-12 Chiefs today, it will be mostly his guys getting it done.

McDaniels' double standard is fairly typical of NFL coaches, but he has made his retribution against those he considers disloyal more visible than most.

It appears now that Marshall played McDaniels during the season. His public hugs of the coach, which so delighted McDaniels, were interpreted by some as a victory for McDaniels' stern discipline in training camp. In retrospect, they look more like Marshall understanding exactly what it took to get back in McDaniels' good graces long enough to put up another 100-catch season, which he did. Now, with the season unraveling, so is the pretense of any loyalty between them.

McDaniels' approach can work if he wins. There have been lots of autocratic NFL coaches, some of them very successful. But in order to win with players loyal to him, McDaniels is going to have to pick better players. Except for 36-year-old safety Brian Dawkins, few of McDaniels' 30-odd additions to the roster have turned heads this year.

He has little choice now but to clear out more of the Shanahan holdovers this offseason in an effort to make the entire locker room "his guys." It seems increasingly clear that it is not so much loyalty to the Broncos that Josh McDaniels requires as it is loyalty to Josh McDaniels.

getlynched47
He was being sarcastic. He's a rival fan.

Rival fan. What's your definition of a rival fan? A Denver Bronco fan who criticizes his team for what they do bad and praises his team for the good? That's a rival fan?

Screw off

Ravage!!!
Posted that in another thread, but I think it holds its proper place in both. I think its a good article, and right on the money.

Noway
Don't feed the trolls guys.

wow, how original

Noway
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
By Dave Krieger

On the bright side, players aren't pulling guns on each other in the locker room. The Broncos are clearly less dysfunctional than the Washington Wizards. So they've got that going for them.

On the other hand, they end the season pretty much as they started it, with a young coach who says he's all about team unity and manages to wreak havoc anyway.

For the first time, players are publicly acknowledging a division in the locker room. Tight end Tony Scheffler, deactivated along with receiver Brandon Marshall for today's regular-season finale, said the move "doesn't sit very well with me or some of my teammates."

Meanwhile, first-year coach Josh McDaniels insists that a team without Marshall and Scheffler gives the Broncos their "best opportunity to win" today, an analysis so dubious from a football standpoint that it suggests McDaniels would rather lose with players loyal to him than win with players who are not.

The locker room appears to have broken into two camps — the roughly 60 percent of the roster McDaniels brought in and the roughly 40 percent remaining from last season. McDaniels has now feuded publicly with Marshall, Scheffler and former quarterback Jay Cutler, while substantially reducing the roles of Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Peyton Hillis and Ben Hamilton, all holdovers from the Mike Shanahan regime.

Unfortunately for McDaniels, the best players on the team are mostly Shanahan holdovers. Of the six Broncos named Pro Bowl starters, reserves or alternates, five were here when McDaniels arrived. As he makes the case that his acquisitions — players such as Jabar Gaffney and Knowshon Moreno — give the Broncos their best chance to win, fans who actually watch the games begin to wonder if this is about ability or favoritism.

McDaniels has gone to great lengths, for example, to rationalize Moreno's declining production by blaming an offensive line dominated by Shanahan holdovers, even as other backs exceed Moreno's per-carry averages behind the same line.

The rift with Marshall, the team's most productive offensive player, is of the old-school variety. The coach wants the player to play through a hamstring injury after an MRI showed no major damage. The player, who submitted in a similar situation last season and wound up needing hip surgery, says he can't.

McDaniels chose to escalate this dispute by publicly questioning Marshall's injury. This reflects a rather dramatic double standard on the subject of team unity.

Last summer, Stokley criticized the treatment of long snapper Mike Leach, whom McDaniels cut for no apparent reason other than to bring in his own guy. Scheffler was unhappy with McDaniels' treatment of Cutler. Both players have been on the outs with their coach since, a status reflected in their decreased role in the offense.

In short, under McDaniels, criticism of the coach is destructive of team unity, but criticism of a top player is not.

In response, Marshall suggested McDaniels is seeking scapegoats for his team's collapse since starting the season 6-0. No one in the locker room would have said so publicly had McDaniels not opened the door with his shots at Marshall.

The upside of this divisive strategy for McDaniels is if the Broncos get past the 3-12 Chiefs today, it will be mostly his guys getting it done.

McDaniels' double standard is fairly typical of NFL coaches, but he has made his retribution against those he considers disloyal more visible than most.

It appears now that Marshall played McDaniels during the season. His public hugs of the coach, which so delighted McDaniels, were interpreted by some as a victory for McDaniels' stern discipline in training camp. In retrospect, they look more like Marshall understanding exactly what it took to get back in McDaniels' good graces long enough to put up another 100-catch season, which he did. Now, with the season unraveling, so is the pretense of any loyalty between them.

McDaniels' approach can work if he wins. There have been lots of autocratic NFL coaches, some of them very successful. But in order to win with players loyal to him, McDaniels is going to have to pick better players. Except for 36-year-old safety Brian Dawkins, few of McDaniels' 30-odd additions to the roster have turned heads this year.

He has little choice now but to clear out more of the Shanahan holdovers this offseason in an effort to make the entire locker room "his guys." It seems increasingly clear that it is not so much loyalty to the Broncos that Josh McDaniels requires as it is loyalty to Josh McDaniels.

Right on, baby and they did NOT get past the 3-12 Chefs

pumpdoc
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Orton, 2 count em 2 pick 6's nuff said

Overtime
01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Eh well McD did better in his first season with the Broncos than Belichick did in his first season with the Browns (1991, 6-10), and in his first season with the Patriots (2000, 5-11).

lot's of promise. If McDaniels worst effort rivals Shanny's best effort over the past couple seasons (06,07,08), then I can't wait to see what he does when he gets all the pieces in place.

It's a building process, and it will take time to get to where we want to go.

getlynched47
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Orton, 2 count em 2 pick 6's nuff said

Yup, that lost us the game.

Nevermind the 300 yards rushing we allowed :coffee:

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Eh well McD did better in his first season with the Broncos than Belichick did in his first season with the Browns (1991, 6-10), and in his first season with the Patriots (2000, 5-11).

lot's of promise. If McDaniels worst effort rivals Shanny's best effort over the past couple seasons (06,07,08), then I can't wait to see what he does when he gets all the pieces in place.

It's a building process, and it will take time to get to where we want to go.

Wow, of all the people who i thought "wouldnt" get it was you. Way to go OT. I like level thinking fans. :salute:

Overtime
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Wow, of all the people who i thought "wouldnt" get it was you. Way to go OT. I like level thinking fans. :salute:

gee Northman...thanks for the vote of confidence.

but as long as Orton doesn't come back I think we'll be alright.

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:18 PM
gee Northman...thanks for the vote of confidence.

but as long as Orton doesn't come back I think we'll be alright.

Depends. If we build up the trenches i think Orton will be ok. But we will need a strong running game and more talent on both sides of the ball to do that. I saw some passes down the field today that i liked. Still dont like Orton's accuracy issues so im not convinced that he is the longterm answer but until we can groom a true replacement i think he will suffice.

pumpdoc
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Depends. If we build up the trenches i think Orton will be ok. But we will need a strong running game and more talent on both sides of the ball to do that. I saw some passes down the field today that i liked. Still dont like Orton's accuracy issues so im not convinced that he is the longterm answer but until we can groom a true replacement i think he will suffice.

.......Yeah and a complete rebuild of the defense.(you can keep "doom")

Overtime
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM

if Orton's back next year, I'm going Tonya Harding on his throwing arm. :mad:

Orton is a pile of shit, and he needs to be CUT. not traded, but straight out CUT.

****, Tyler Thigpen is better than that sack of shit.

Noway
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
wow, the headline from tonight's halftime show is something like "Bronco's collapse is complete with loss at home to KC" how low can you go? Happy new year!!! I love it.

Noway
01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Cool, it's already started but let the infighting begin....:listen:

Dzone
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I cant help but feel sorry for Orton. He is no good as a qb, but he has been a true professional in every sense of the word...He tries hard, but he just doesnt have the athleticism to be a winning qb.He's a nice guy, but he needs to be replaced

Overtime
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I cant help but feel sorry for Orton. He is no good as a qb, but he has been a true professional in every sense of the word...He tries hard, but he just doesnt have the athleticism to be a winning qb.He's a nice guy, but he needs to be replaced

nice guys never finish first. we need an ******* as our QB...someone with some stones, someone who will get inside the other teams' QB's head, someone similar to a Philip Rivers.....but we don't need another ***** like Cutler...we need a damn leader.

this team has no leader. time to get a QB...it must be our priority. QB and defense.

Broncolingus
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm amazed at how much the past few seasons have ended so similarly...

Not sure, anymore, if I have a constructive solution but it's a valid question.

I honestly thought when Denver started 6-0 this year there was NO WAY they were going to miss the playoffs...figured a .500 finish at worst for the year.

I wasn't even expecting to get out of the Wild Card round, but I didn't think they'd blow it in almost the exact same fashion as the previous few years...

Amazing...

Don't think that Orton, McD, Marshall, etc. are singularly the problems...and while Doom had a great year (any sacks today?), I've never been sold that Denver's OLs and DLs - especially interior lines and thru the mid-late 2000s - were the answers to get deep into the playoffs...

Look there to start this offseason...

...I guess.

weazel
01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
sun was in their eyes...

topscribe
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
sun was in their eyes...

Except when it was cold.

Then it was too hard to breathe . . .

-----

Thnikkaman
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
wow, the headline from tonight's halftime show is something like "Bronco's collapse is complete with loss at home to KC" how low can you go? Happy new year!!! I love it.

May I ask, which bandwagon are you riding?

Realism is that McDaniels will get 1 maybe 2 more seasons in Denver to turn this thing around. Real fans can be patient. Real fans have had to watch the Nuggets be at the bottom of the barrel for decades. Real fans have rooted for the Rockies through 10 years of being the farm team for the Cubs and the Yankees.

Please leave your smack with the junkies unless you share with us the team you are a fan of and the message board you come from.

weazel
01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Except when it was cold.

Then it was too hard to breathe . . .

-----

man that is the funniest thing I read in a long time. "yeah, coach. I gotta get out of here early. This frigid air just makes it way to hard for me to, uh breathe."

I would have told him to get ******, that second.