PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Should Draft Defensive Line, then Linebacker

20yardline
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I am not really sold on any linebacker in the top 12 picks of the NFL Draft. I think Denver should try and draft a defensive tackle, or a defensive end in Round 1. I think in round 2 and thereafter, they should select a linebacker and a safety.

What do you think they should do with their first picks?

lex
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I am not really sold on any linebacker in the top 12 picks of the NFL Draft. I think Denver should try and draft a defensive tackle, or a defensive end in Round 1. I think in round 2 and thereafter, they should select a linebacker and a safety.

Im not really sold on any of the DTs that are 1st round grade that will also be there at 12. Balmer is buyer beware big time. Any time a player doesnt really do anything until his senior year, you should proceed with caution. Pat Sims is in a similar situation but he's slotted to go later so it doesnt hurt as much. Still though, I would be even more pleased if we drafted either Laws, Moore, Bryant, or Harrison. Any of those guys might be had somewhere in the 3rd-4th rounds.

But I also agree with you on LB. I also dont feel comfortable taking Kenny Phillips due solely to the fact that he is the only S with a 1st round grade. I think that inflates his value and I wasnt all that impressed after the Oklahoma game. Perhaps he was a victim of blown assignments by others sometimes but still. At 12, I want to be sure and I dont get that with Phillips. I think the value is with Tackle, Running Back, or Branden Alberts whose main position is G.

shank
02-22-2008, 12:59 AM
what he said ^

i really like the idea of taking a lb in rd 2. i also feel the best value at 12 is OT or RB (although we won't be using it on a running back now). hopefully clady is around at 12

broncohead
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Trading up or down is always an option. But if we stayed where we are Rivers, Connor, Clady, and Phillips would be the targets IMO. I personally think that we could get better value in the later rounds LB, S, and OL.

gobroncsnv
02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
As long as we keep going with a large priority on Dline, then oline, I'm happy. We're much more ok with skill players than we are in the trenches. Pursue the best way possible to get a VERY good DT, then go with OT. I would follow then with LB. I'm just sure Shanny's gonna call me about this any day now.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 09:15 AM

I'm quite confident we will trade back several spots and pick up atleast a 3rd round pick.............Pat Sims and Trevor Laws, two DT's that could step in and start, will be there in the 2nd round...............We could get Connor much later in the 1st and be just fine.

lex
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm quite confident we will trade back several spots and pick up atleast a 3rd round pick.............Pat Sims and Trevor Laws, two DT's that could step in and start, will be there in the 2nd round...............We could get Connor much laqter in the 1st and be just fine.

That or trade up with the 2 4ths and 2 (or possibly 3) 5ths.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
That or trade up with the 2 4ths and 2 (or possibly 3) 5ths.

If that gets us Ellis or Dorsey, that would be great.

lex
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
If that gets us Ellis or Dorsey, that would be great.

I was talking about trading into the 3rd.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I was talking about trading into the 3rd.

Oh, you lost me.........

mclark
02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm quite confident we will trade back several spots and pick up atleast a 3rd round pick.............Pat Sims and Trevor Laws, two DT's that could step in and start, will be there in the 2nd round...............We could get Connor much later in the 1st and be just fine.

I could live with Sims and Connor. Especially if we get left tackle help in free agency. Flozell Adams anyone?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
At 12, KP, Connor or a RB...even Merling intiigues me.

Astrass
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Draft Ellis and Rivers!!! Make it happen Denver!! lol

SM19
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't really want a defensive end. With Ekuban returning, I think we're set there.

A defensive tackle would be nice, but there may not be one worth the pick available when we're on the clock. The value at OT is much better in that area.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't necessarily want DE either, but the story on Merling is that he can be a run stopping DE on rund downs and move inside as a pass rushing DT on pass downs...I'd love Moss, Elvis, a guy like Merling and Thomas getting after the QB on 3rd and long.

broncosfanscott
02-22-2008, 11:01 PM
As long as we keep going with a large priority on Dline, then oline, I'm happy. We're much more ok with skill players than we are in the trenches. Pursue the best way possible to get a VERY good DT, then go with OT. I would follow then with LB. I'm just sure Shanny's gonna call me about this any day now.

Pretty much. Draft athletes and get some depth that is so needed.

I would love for them to draft a guy like Atwater. Somebody WR will fear when running across the middle.