PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker traded to Bucs?

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
The Bucs and Broncos are in trade discussions involving Javon Walker, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

The sides have done business in the past, but it'd be a surprise if a deal actually happens. Walker is almost certain to be cut before his $5.4 million option bonus comes due March 4. If healthy, he'd be an excellent fit in Jon Gruden's West Coast attack, but his balky knee makes Walker a huge risk.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Wonder if Michael Clayton would be involved?

slim
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
The Bucs and Broncos are in trade discussions involving Javon Walker, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

The sides have done business in the past, but it'd be a surprise if a deal actually happens. Walker is almost certain to be cut before his $5.4 million option bonus comes due March 4. If healthy, he'd be an excellent fit in Jon Gruden's West Coast attack, but his balky knee makes Walker a huge risk.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

Maybe we can get Jake back. :D

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/02/bucs-talk-trade.html

Here is the link for all you link people

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
It's for a 6th rounder, or a conditional 5th rounder. The two sides haven't decisded. No players wfrom TB will be involved.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
If we can get anything in return that would be good.

BeefStew25
02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
All the cap issues would then be the Bucs issue, right?

MyBroncosFootball
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Doesn't seem like a great deal. I know everyone hates Walker but late round picks?? And what, so what we can make plays on washed out D-lineman in the offseason.

Hoshdude7
02-21-2008, 07:54 PM
The Bucs will get JW's contract from Denver. He will be their problem

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Doesn't seem like a great deal. I know everyone hates Walker but late round picks?? And what, so what we can make plays on washed out D-lineman in the offseason.

You would rather just cut him and not get anything?

You don't honestly think Denver is going to get something better for him do you?

BeefStew25
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
The Bucs will get JW's contract from Denver. He will be their problem

Then they need to do the deal. If he is wiped off our books, that is a gift.

His knee is degenerative.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm loving the Bucs and Redskins, maybe we can throw in Ian Gold in the deal too.

underrated29
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I would have thought we would get more for him, but if we can get off without having any cap hits whatsoever thats cool with me.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
wow, i'd hoped we could get a little more than that. . . oh well. . . .

broncohead
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Should be a conditional 4th round pick. But as long as we get something from him is all that matters.

Drill-N-Fill
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
It's for a 6th rounder, or a conditional 5th rounder. The two sides haven't decisded. No players wfrom TB will be involved.

Can we send them Gold also?

underrated29
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I wonder how he is going to feel being a buc? Javon said he never wanted to be a bronco, no one asked him. Well no one is asking again javon. SO now you can go be the number 1 for a team with either a good old qb who will be gone soon, or have a young ok qb.

Just like asshely. Cutler is going to be way better and so would have your situation had you just chilled for a minute.

Watchthemiddle
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Walker wants to be reunited with Jake.

:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Walker wants to be reunited with Jake.

Lol, are you kidding?

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe TB wants the #7 back from Jake..

But there is always ATL he could have done worse..

TO bad that they do not have the bay series anymore.. He could have gotten to see his buddy Farve twice a year..

Buff
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
wow, i'd hoped we could get a little more than that. . . oh well. . . .

Me too, but with his salary and current knee condition... And with Shanahan on record saying he's going to need microfracture surgery in the future-- Getting anything for him would be a coup.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
BTW, on the BM GM Draft, I traded Javon to Tampa Bay, so let's make this look realistic now. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Me too, but with his salary and current knee condition... And with Shanahan on record saying he's going to need microfracture surgery in the future-- Getting anything for him would be a coup.

Tampa Bay has two conditional trades. Ours for Jake and another one for Sims in Kansas City.

I'm not even sure what picks they have. . . but we're not going to get a #3 out of this, but I'd take a 5th or something. . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I would take Michael Clayton from them straight up... Clayton just needs a new start somewhere else and Shanahan was high on him in the draft, but the Bucs beat us to him.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I would take Michael Clayton from them straight up... Clayton just needs a new start somewhere else and Shanahan was high on him in the draft, but the Bucs beat us to him.

Remember when Dallas gave us a 6th for Adams, but then he failed his physical? :(

I'll take anything right now.

Nomad
02-21-2008, 09:00 PM

I agree!

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Take the 5th. and then Bring D.J Hackett home..

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Take the 5th. and then Bring D.J Hackett home..

It would be really sweet if we could trade Walker for Clayton and also bring in Hackett. Marshall, Clayton, Hackett, and Stokely

We could really spread out defenses with that lineup.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Eh, I don't know. Draft a stud too. Make it even hotter. James Hardy please.

Walker, Hardy, Clayton. . . have fun DB's!

broncofanatic1987
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
All the cap issues would then be the Bucs issue, right?

The Broncos would still take a cap hit for any remaining part of Walker's signing bonus that is still on the books. What they would save is over five million dollars in a roster bonus they don't want to pay plus his scheduled base salary for the year. I don't remember what his signing bonus was but if the remainder is greater than his base salary for 2008 and the bonus together, they will take a cap hit. Hopefully it won't be a massive hit that restricts their ability to sign players that they need to sign, either in FA, contract extensions for current players, or draft picks.

I'm not a fan of the idea of trading or cutting Walker. I think the Broncos would be better with him than without him. They're currently more than $16 million under the cap, with his contract as is. They should just leave it that way and make him play. He has stated that he wouldn't mind staying if the team wants him. I say make him prove it. Let him stay with his contract as is and challenge him to put up or shut up. When he's healthy, he's the best receiver on the team. The Broncos shouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM

c'mon, the redfaces could use a big reciever-- don't tell me we lost that number! that shit should be on speed dial at dove valley. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Talent wise, he's worth more, BUT if we can get his numbers off the books we can get a more dependable Bryant Johnson for less money than what we would've paid JW...and still get a pick. Sign me up. A 5th or a 6th may sound weak, but sometimes it's those picks that help make other trades happen...and many of us want back into round 3.

WARHORSE
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM
For those who have stated otherwise, we dont just get to trade him without taking a hit capwise. His signing bonus is accelerated and thats why restructuring would make trading him easier.

Im wondering whether hes had his talk with Shanny yet, and if he has, Im wondering how it went.

We need someone to play opposite Brandon if our offense is going to be potent.

20yardline
02-21-2008, 10:51 PM

I wish we could keep Javon. I think there can be enough balls for both him and Marshall in 08. I hate to give him away like this.

ikillz0mbies
02-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Well I'm up for Walker being traded, I'd take Clayton from them in a straight out trade like what Boss said. But Gold should be in that package too since he was a Buc before. And bringing Hackett or Johnson would bring Cutler another piece of arsenal. This offseason has become rather interesting....

MyBroncosFootball
02-22-2008, 12:35 AM
I guess if Shanny and the staff shopped around and that's all we can get. I just don't think we go that deep at wideout. Martinez is not the answer

topscribe
02-22-2008, 12:53 AM
If we can get anything in return that would be good.

You think the Broncos are aware of Coleman?

-----

Stargazer
02-22-2008, 12:58 AM
If the Broncos can get any pick for Javon, take it and move on.

shank
02-22-2008, 01:08 AM
You think the Broncos are aware of Coleman?

-----

don't know about the broncos, but i guess that i'm not...

only coleman i can think of is rod.

what are you talking about top?

OB
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Maybe we can get Jake back. :D

oh the threads this comment would have created on another board

OB
02-22-2008, 01:21 AM
The Broncos would still take a cap hit for any remaining part of Walker's signing bonus that is still on the books. What they would save is over five million dollars in a roster bonus they don't want to pay plus his scheduled base salary for the year. I don't remember what his signing bonus was but if the remainder is greater than his base salary for 2008 and the bonus together, they will take a cap hit. Hopefully it won't be a massive hit that restricts their ability to sign players that they need to sign, either in FA, contract extensions for current players, or draft picks.

I'm not a fan of the idea of trading or cutting Walker. I think the Broncos would be better with him than without him. They're currently more than $16 million under the cap, with his contract as is. They should just leave it that way and make him play. He has stated that he wouldn't mind staying if the team wants him. I say make him prove it. Let him stay with his contract as is and challenge him to put up or shut up. When he's healthy, he's the best receiver on the team. The Broncos shouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him.

Im with you - i always had high hopes for JW even though he wasnt a popular player among the fans - i think he has talent - maybe he doesnt want to use it here - if thats the case - he needs to go - i would take a no name who gives 110% than a big name that gives 10 - but we shall see

This n rods future (or lack thereof) depresses me :sad:

#1bmarshfan
02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
man i knew i shouldnt of bught that javon walker jersey...

ChampWJ
02-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Don't give up yet. I personally hope the Broncos and Javon can work this out and he stays here. He's a dominant player when healthy.

Your post is funny though. I bought a Clinton Portis jersey less than a month before he was traded.

topscribe
02-22-2008, 01:52 AM
don't know about the broncos, but i guess that i'm not...

only coleman i can think of is rod.

what are you talking about top?

Rod Coleman is the guy. Plays the position of probably the Broncos' #1 need:

Walker isn't the only player on the Bucs radar. Allen said the team is pursuing Falcons defensive tackle Rod Coleman and tight end Alge Crumpler. One or both players could visit the Bucs training facility sometime next week. Allen met with Coleman's agent, Pat Dye, Jr., on Wednesday and will have talks with Crumpler's agent this weekend.

Allen predicted that Coleman could have a new team before the start of the free agent signing period Feb. 29.

Coleman, who has 58.5 career sacks, was plagued by an assortment of injuries last season and played in just five games before finishing the year on Injured Reserve.

But the Bucs are all too aware of how disruptive Coleman can be as a pass rusher and the Bucs are looking to put more pressure on the quarterback. Allen drafted Coleman with the Oakland Raiders in 1999.

""He's been quite a foe for us the last four years,'' Allen said. ""You've been to the games, you've noticed No. 75. We have talked to him. (His agent) is working out Rod's schedule where to do visits and physicals. We've just got to see where his health is and when Pat decides when to get serious.

""He's played very well against us. He has rushed our players...he is a good competitor. That's why he has a lot of interest and that's why we haven't heard when he's scheduled to visit yet.''

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/02/bucs-talk-trade.html

-----

JONtheBRONCO
02-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Screw Javon.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-22-2008, 05:13 AM
if we trade or cut walker we dont gain cap room just for you peoples info.

SR
02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
If we trade Walker, his salary won't count against the cap. If we cut him, it does.

PatricktheDookie
02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Getting anyone to pick up that contract is awesome. =)

claymore
02-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Getting anyone to pick up that contract is awesome. =)
I just hope that somehow Clayton is involved in the Trade. I know it isnt going to be happen, and I will be happy getting rid of Walkers contract for nothing. I might even give them one of our 4th rounders to take his contract. :eek:

PatricktheDookie
02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Ah, yes, I was mistaken as to the trading rules in the NFL. For salary-cap purposes, there is no difference between cutting Javon or trading him, unless we can make him restructure before trading (hey Javon, restructure or we'll trade you to Miami). Too many NBA trades have gotten my head all confused.

His remaining prorated signing bonus will be applied to this year's cap figure, but he should (theoretically) be off our books by 2009.

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
If he's traded or if he's cut we do not take a hit with his 2008 SALARY.

The unpaid portion of his signing bonus accelerates all to this year. The out of pocket expense does not get paid in terms of the signing bonus that is acclerated, but the cap space portion of the accelerated bonus does.

In numbers it looks like this...

Javon is due 3.0 million dollars salary for 2008. His bonus amount for the length of the contract remains 8.0 million dollars. Let's say there's 3 years left on the contract.

If he's cut or traded we will not pay him any more money, but we take the hit of 8.0 million dollars on the cap.

If he remains, he gets his 3.0 million dollar salary, plus 1/3 of the 8.0 million dollar bonus... roughly 3.0+2.66=5.66 cap hit plus actuall dollars out of pocket.

So, trading him or cutting him saves 5.66 million out of pocket, but costs an extra 2.34 million dollars in cap space.

Easy peasie Japanese...

PatricktheDookie
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
If he's traded or if he's cut we do not take a hit with his 2008 SALARY.

The unpaid portion of his signing bonus accelerates all to this year. The out of pocket expense does not get paid in terms of the signing bonus that is acclerated, but the cap space portion of the accelerated bonus does.

In numbers it looks like this...

Javon is due 3.0 million dollars salary for 2008. His bonus amount for the length of the contract remains 8.0 million dollars. Let's say there's 3 years left on the contract.

If he's cut or traded we will not pay him any more money, but we take the hit of 8.0 million dollars on the cap.

If he remains, he gets his 3.0 million dollar salary, plus 1/3 of the 8.0 million dollar bonus... roughly 3.0+2.66=5.66 cap hit plus actuall dollars out of pocket.

So, trading him or cutting him saves 5.66 million out of pocket, but costs an extra 2.34 million dollars in cap space.

Easy peasie Japanese...

My understanding is that his 2008 salary is closer to $7 million (though I could be mistaken).

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention hypothetical numbers were used in my example.

Scarface
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Hopefully this goes down. Then we can go after Donte Stallworth.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hopefully this goes down. Then we can go after Donte Stallworth.

Is he available?

Scarface
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Is he available?

Stallworth free to go
Patriots decline wideout’s option
By Karen Guregian and John Tomase / Patriots Notebook
Friday, February 22, 2008 - Updated 6h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(0) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(3) Rate

INDIANAPOLIS - The Patriots [team stats] have officially declined to pick up the option on Donte’ Stallworth.

The wide receiver was due $6 million on Sunday and another $2 million on March 1. Now he’s free to negotiate with anyone.

Stallworth caught 46 passes during the regular season, three for touchdowns. In the postseason, he caught eight passes, three in the Super Bowl loss against the New York Giants.

He was generally the third receiver behind Randy Moss and Wes Welker, but late in the season he was often replaced on the depth chart by Jabar Gaffney [stats], who is also set to become a free agent on Feb. 29.

The Pats entertained free agent wideout Marty Booker this week, but did not offer him a contract.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1075237&srvc=rss

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
No thanks on Stallworth... over-rated... Drops too many passes, and cost way to much for a #2.

SR
02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
x2. I like Stallworth, but not on my team as a #2. IMO, we'd be better suited to pursue the FA WR from Detroit. I can't remember his name. I think it's Rogers.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
x2. I like Stallworth, but not on my team as a #2. IMO, we'd be better suited to pursue the FA WR from Detroit. I can't remember his name. I think it's Rogers.

Rogers doesn't even play anymore does he? He was a bust big time. Maybe you are thinking of McDonald?

dogfish
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
No thanks on Stallworth... over-rated... Drops too many passes, and cost way to much for a #2.

and he has chronic hamstring problems. . . . if we're going to go after a WR in free agency, i'd prefer hackett or johnson. . . .

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Bryant Johnson is who we need as our #2.

Team-guy, great blocker, and is actually making a step-up from a #3 WR role...

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
another thing about Bryant Johnson, we won't have to worry about him whining about his role in two years...

right Ashley and Javon?

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
We need someone who won't break the bank, can block, and doesn't mind being #2 on the roster, but works hard.

Hackett, Johnson, Clayton

This looks like the best options right now.

Hopefully we can pull of Clayton in the Walker to Bucs deal some how. They will probably cut him anyways, if the deal happens, so they might as well throw him in the deal.

turftoad
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
another thing about Bryant Johnson, we won't have to worry about him whining about his role in two years...

right Ashley and Javon?

When Walker is gone, Johnson would be MY #1 option but I don't make the decisions.
Trade Walker, get Clayton in on the trade somehow and sign Johnson. I'd feel comfortible with that.

tubby
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
What about Quincy Black? :D

BroncoJoe
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM

That's exactly the reason why I don't buy jerseys.

dogfish
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Bucs Ready To Deal For Javon Walker?

By ROY CUMMINGS, The Tampa Tribune

Published: February 22, 2008

TAMPA - The first day of testing at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis provided at least one rumor involving the Bucs.

In an effort to solve their need for another impact wide receiver, the Bucs are believed to be talking to the Denver Broncos about a deal that would land them disgruntled wideout Javon Walker.

No one associated with either team or Walker would confirm the reports, but that doesn't mean a deal isn't in the works.

The Bucs are on the lookout this offseason for playmakers, and Walker is looking to get away from the Broncos, for whom he played in just eight games last year, catching 26 passes for 287 yards and no touchdowns.

One thing that could scuttle such a deal is the Bucs' inability to give the Broncos what they want in return.

The Bucs could offer draft picks for Walker, who is 29 and spent most of last year nursing a knee problem, but the Broncos are believed to be looking for an impact defensive tackle.

Though Jovan Haye gave them the best play they have had at that position in years, the Bucs are in the market for a defensive tackle themselves.

They have had brief discussions with the agent for Rod Coleman, and the Bucs could take a run at signing Justin Smith should he be let go by the Bengals.

The Bucs have also had brief discussions with the agent for tight end Alge Crumpler who, along with Coleman, was released by the Falcons last Friday.

__________________________________________________ ___

we should be talking to coleman ourselves. . . .

slim
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM

right Ashley and Javon?

At the end of last year Jerheme Urban was getting nearly as much playing time as Johnson. Urban was 5th on the depth chart (I think). In other words, Johnson had failed to distinguish himself from the #5 WR on the roster. Just sayin'

Requiem / The Dagda
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a good friend who used to have media access and worked for the newspaper down in Tampa Bay so I'm going to give him a call later this evening and see if he has heard anything about this. He actually might be at Indianapolis though. . . if I hear anything from him that's good, I'll post it.

turftoad
02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
At the end of last year Jerheme Urban was getting nearly as much playing time as Johnson. Urban was 5th on the depth chart (I think). In other words, Johnson had failed to distinguish himself from the #5 WR on the roster. Just sayin'

Both Fitz and Bolden were ailing. Johnson did a fine job when filling in for either one.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Think about this though Slim... if you know that you have a guy that will be a free agent next season... would you want to give the young guy on the roster who will eventually replace him more reps or would you keep the future free agent in the game and take away from the "future" players experience? Johnson had 46 receptions for 528 yards as a #3/4. That isn't bad at all.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I almost forgot about Ernest Wilford too... He would be an ok #2. Another big target with decent speed and great down field blocker.

MHCBill
02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I think we all agree that bringing in a #2 WR must be done through free agency.

I've never been a believer in drafting WR's high in the draft because they either don't work out or it takes a few years for them to pay off.

That's why BMarsh was a great pick. Fourth round selection that won't cost a ton and doesn't have the pressure to play right away like a #1.

Vets make much more sense to me to bring in as a WR.

With Javon on his way out, so many free agents franchised, WR is a position where we can sign someone to fill a major need and give us a nice passing corps of Marshall, Vet WR, Stokely, Scheffler, and Graham.

WARHORSE
02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Theres Stallworth and Williams. Those are some other possibilities. Stallworth doesnt impress me as a blocker, but he has that deep speed. ............Williams is on the block.

Astrass
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Theres Stallworth and Williams. Those are some other possibilities. Stallworth doesnt impress me as a blocker, but he has that deep speed. ............Williams is on the block.

Interesting you bring up Matt Jones. I believe most his career was with Byron Leftwich and he was not a good passer. Plus Leftwich was injured all the time so there was never any chemistry going on over there. I did see many talented catches from him though and a lot of hard work. That would actualy be some one of interest to me.

Broncospsycho77
02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Stallworth might have too much of a price tag for what we're looking for, and may not be content with a #2 slot... might be a glory hound after his stint with the Pats...

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Stallworth might have too much of a price tag for what we're looking for, and may not be content with a #2 slot... might be a glory hound after his stint with the Pats...

and the Eagles. He probably wants to be the #1 guy as well.

topscribe
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
and the Eagles. He probably wants to be the #1 guy as well.

I guess the day is past when a player earns his #1 status.

I want to go where someone has an extra silver platter . . .

-----

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I guess the day is past when a player earns his #1 status.

I want to go where someone has an extra silver platter . . .

-----

I think anymore it's better to draft a project in the later rounds..............Like Marshall, who wasn't much of a "project" but guys like that try alot harder than a player that was a top 10 pick...Rod Smith is a great example.

WARHORSE
02-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I can see why Walker is in the Bucs crosshairs. Their offense is predicated on a ton of short passing. A guy like Walker who can run after the catch is valuable in that system. All we need to do is convince them that we really want Javon, but Javon wants to be number one, and he cant be number one when Jay likes Brandon so much. Knee? Its fine. Honest.

Give us Clayton and a third rounder, call it even.

INDIANAPOLIS - More than a week before the start of free agency, the Bucs already are exploring a trade for a game-changing receiver and accelerating attempts to sign a Pro Bowl tight end and a pass-rushing tackle.
Other than that, it has been a quiet few days for general manager Bruce Allen.
The Bucs, though not saying so publicly, have had discussions with the Broncos about trading for receiver Javon Walker. The Denver Post also has reported the Broncos have expressed interest in dealing with the Bucs for Walker.
Denver has made no secret of its desire to part ways with Walker, who is owed abonus of $5.4-million on March 4. Walker said at the end of this past season he wanted to find a "better fit," elsewhere.
Walker, 29, was hampered by a knee injury last season and played in just eight games, catching 26 passes for 287 yards and no touchdowns. But the former Florida State standout has had 1,000-yard receiving seasons with the Broncos in 2006 and Packers in 2004.
The Bucs are looking to upgrade at receiver. Joey Galloway will be 37 next season. Ike Hilliard will be 32, and Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall have struggled to make a consistent impact.
At 6 feet 3, 215 pounds, Walker would give the Bucs a big target who can work the middle of the field and gain yards after the catch.
Thursday, during a rare break at the NFL scouting combine, Allen would neither confirm nor deny the Bucs had talks with the Broncos about Walker.
Following their loss to the Giants in the NFC wild-card game, the Bucs outlined their need to improve their speed and playmaking ability on offense.
"I don't think there's any doubt Michael Clayton will do that, and we feel good about Maurice Stovall. And Ike (Hilliard) had a really productive year for us," Allen said. "But like any position, we're looking to get better; for something to add to our team.
"If you're looking for a component, we need some more speed. That's why (running back) Michael Bennett was somewhat of a priority to re-sign because he brings some more speed to our offense because we need it."
Walker isn't the only player on the Bucs' radar. Allen said the team is pursuing Falcons defensive tackle Rod Coleman and tight end Alge Crumpler. One or both could visit the Bucs' training facility next week.
Allen met with Walker's agent, Pat Dye, on Wednesday and will have talks with Crumpler's agent as early as today.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I can see why Walker is in the Bucs crosshairs. Their offense is predicated on a ton of short passing. A guy like Walker who can run after the catch is valuable in that system. All we need to do is convince them that we really want Javon, but Javon wants to be number one, and he cant be number one when Jay likes Brandon so much. Knee? Its fine. Honest.

INDIANAPOLIS - More than a week before the start of free agency, the Bucs already are exploring a trade for a game-changing receiver and accelerating attempts to sign a Pro Bowl tight end and a pass-rushing tackle.
Other than that, it has been a quiet few days for general manager Bruce Allen.
The Bucs, though not saying so publicly, have had discussions with the Broncos about trading for receiver Javon Walker. The Denver Post also has reported the Broncos have expressed interest in dealing with the Bucs for Walker.
Denver has made no secret of its desire to part ways with Walker, who is owed abonus of $5.4-million on March 4. Walker said at the end of this past season he wanted to find a "better fit," elsewhere.
Walker, 29, was hampered by a knee injury last season and played in just eight games, catching 26 passes for 287 yards and no touchdowns. But the former Florida State standout has had 1,000-yard receiving seasons with the Broncos in 2006 and Packers in 2004.
The Bucs are looking to upgrade at receiver. Joey Galloway will be 37 next season. Ike Hilliard will be 32, and Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall have struggled to make a consistent impact.
At 6 feet 3, 215 pounds, Walker would give the Bucs a big target who can work the middle of the field and gain yards after the catch.
Thursday, during a rare break at the NFL scouting combine, Allen would neither confirm nor deny the Bucs had talks with the Broncos about Walker.
Following their loss to the Giants in the NFC wild-card game, the Bucs outlined their need to improve their speed and playmaking ability on offense.
"I don't think there's any doubt Michael Clayton will do that, and we feel good about Maurice Stovall. And Ike (Hilliard) had a really productive year for us," Allen said. "But like any position, we're looking to get better; for something to add to our team.
"If you're looking for a component, we need some more speed. That's why (running back) Michael Bennett was somewhat of a priority to re-sign because he brings some more speed to our offense because we need it."
Walker isn't the only player on the Bucs' radar. Allen said the team is pursuing Falcons defensive tackle Rod Coleman and tight end Alge Crumpler. One or both could visit the Bucs' training facility next week.
Allen met with Walker's agent, Pat Dye, on Wednesday and will have talks with Crumpler's agent as early as today.

Clayton would be a dream..............Tha guy reminds me alot of Rod........A great blocker too.............Clayton, Marshall, Stokely and Sheffler? ..............that would be killer.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Plus, imagine Marshall and Clayton blocking downfield for Young.

silkamilkamonico
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM

If Clayton was involved, I think we'd have to give up the third rounder. Walker alone isn't worth a third rounder.

turftoad
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
If Clayton was involved, I think we'd have to give up the third rounder. Walker alone isn't worth a third rounder.

What :confused: TB would probably take a 3rd straight up for Clayton right now (or less). They're about ready to give up on him. So Claytons worth a 3rd and Walker isn't. :confused:

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
What :confused: TB would probably take a 3rd straight up for Clayton right now (or less). They're about ready to give up on him. So Claytons worth a 3rd and Walker isn't. :confused:

If Walker was healthy, he's probably worth a 1st to be quite honest............he's that good. But with a knee injury, his value is questionable.

silkamilkamonico
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Clayton's worth more than Walker is. Walker has a big contract, a me first attitude, and an inability to stay healthy along with what possibly could be a degenerate knee. Clayton is young, has shown potential up until a turf toe injury which can be devastating for a WR, and has years to actually get better, unlike Walker.

I don't know what Clayton's worth is. But Walker alone isn't worth a third. A team isn't going to trade a third that isn't worth it for Walker, and throw in a young WR that has potential, despite how source full it is that they've given up on him.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Clayton's worth more than Walker is. Walker has a big contract, a me first attitude, and an inability to stay healthy along with what possibly could be a degenerate knee. Clayton is young, has shown potential up until a turf toe injury which can be devastating for a WR, and has years to actually get better, unlike Walker.

I don't know what Clayton's worth is. But Walker alone isn't worth a third. A team isn't going to trade a third that isn't worth it for Walker, and throw in a young WR that has potential, despite how source full it is that they've given up on him.

Clayton is in Gruden's dog house the past two seasons. Everyone knows that Galloway is the Bucs #1, but Clayton was #2 but quickly fell in Gruden's dog house and the following year the Bucs selected Maurice Stovall. They also added Ike Hillard to that line up and Clayton was way down on the depth chart. The Bucs then added Paris Warren to that WR core. Clayton would have been cut or traded if it wasn't for the injuries that hit the Bucs the past two seasons. I don't think that Gruden values Clayton for what he is truely worth. I wouldn't be surprised if he would do a trade straight up for Walker.

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Clayton is in Gruden's dog house the past two seasons. Everyone knows that Galloway is the Bucs #1, but Clayton was #2 but quickly fell in Gruden's dog house and the following year the Bucs selected Maurice Stovall. They also added Ike Hillard to that line up and Clayton was way down on the depth chart. The Bucs then added Paris Warren to that WR core. Clayton would have been cut or traded if it wasn't for the injuries that hit the Bucs the past two seasons. I don't think that Gruden values Clayton for what he is truely worth. I wouldn't be surprised if he would do a trade straight up for Walker.

Sounds good to me.............I've always liked Clayton............Remember when we played them in Tampa a few years ago? ............Clayton looked awesome.

topscribe
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM

That pretty well sums it up. If you consider what Walker has below the neck,
he may be worth a first. If you consider what he has above the neck, a third
may be too much. . . if he indeed wants #1 to be handed to him.

It's ironic he and Ashley were taken so close in the same round, and they
apparently both have the same "gimme number one" complex, isn't it?

Marshall seems to like Javon. I was hoping he and Shanny could talk some
sense into him. Maybe I still have that faint hope, but first an individual has
to get his mind off himself for a bit . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
02-22-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't think that Gruden values Clayton for what he is truely worth. I wouldn't be surprised if he would do a trade straight up for Walker.

That's possibly. But he sure as hell isn't throwing a 3rd round pick in along with Clayton.

topscribe
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
That's possibly. But he sure as hell isn't throwing a 3rd round pick in along with Clayton.

Yeah, what'ya think he is, the Redskins or somethin'?

-----

Drill-N-Fill
02-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Clayton has been a big bust. His value is no higher than a 6th. Kind of like the guy everybody was high on from the 49ers late in round 1...I forget his name.

Yes Shanny was high on him, but maybe he's not cut out for this league. What makes everybody so sure he will pan out in Denver. I'd rather take a 5th-6th for Javon and draft a dark horse WR.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
The Tampa Tribune doesn't expect the Bucs to execute a trade for Javon Walker.

Unless all Denver is asking for is a sixth- or seventh-round pick, the Bucs have no incentive to deal for Walker because he's likely to be released. The Broncos are believed to be offering Walker up to "just about anybody who will answer their phone calls." Walker's option bonus is due on March 4.
Source: Tampa Tribune

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Clayton had a great rookie year............I'm guessing he's been hurt.

Season Team(s) Games Receiving Rushing Fumbles Total
2004 TB 16 80 1,193 14.9 7 5 30 6.0 0 1 42
2005 TB 14 32 372 11.6 0 1 2 2.0 0 1 0
2006 TB 12 33 356 10.8 1 5 41 8.2 0 2 6
Career 42 145 1,921 13.2 8 11 73 6.6 0 4 48

HolyDiver
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Unless all Denver is asking for is a sixth- or seventh-round pick, the Bucs have no incentive to deal for Walker because he's likely to be released. The Broncos are believed to be offering Walker up to "just about anybody who will answer their phone calls." Walker's option bonus is due on March 4.

Dammit..............figures, all this talk for nothing. ..........Where's Nut, I'm feeling mean.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
if his bonus is higher then base salary our salary cap room goes down after we cut him or trade him..

dogfish
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM

and that, folks, is called negotiating through the newspapers. . . .

we're asking for more, and it looks like they're calling our bluff. . . .

topscribe
02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
and that, folks, is called negotiating through the newspapers. . . .

we're asking for more, and it looks like they're calling our bluff. . . .

Well, I hope the Broncos don't simply release Walker.

If they can't trade him, I hope they just tell him to stay and play.

But to fork over a second, then just toss him aside . . . :mad:

-----

Retired_Member_001
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I would be dissapointed if we didn't package Walker and someone and possibly someone else to so we could make a slightly bigger trade. I seriously think we are not going to get much for Walker on his own.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, just called my friend in Tampa (used to cover the Buccaneers, had media access, etc.) and the rumors about the Broncos and Buccaneers in regards to Javon are true. Tampa Bay already owes two conditional selections; so that's making things a little tough in the pick department. As mentioned earlier, Denver's looking for something more than what Tampa Bay has as far as selections to offer.

He didn't say whether or not a deal would get done soon, but that the two teams are genuinely interested in making something happen and have been talking; but then again he reminded me that these sort of things happen all the time.

I asked him why the Buccaneers would trade for him when they know we'll just cut him; and he replied, "Chances of him signing here if they were cut would probably be much less, because Walker would probably enjoy a more pass potent offense - and getting into a bidding war wouldn't help matters either."

That's all he really had to say. I just wouldn't expect something.

Hoshdude7
02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
ugh, i thought bringing Walker in here was a great idea. Man was I wrong.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2008, 10:34 PM
It still was a good idea. He carried the offense on his back in 2006. We did give up a #2 for him, but ya never know how that woulda turned out. Butterfly effect...IF he doesn't feel pressured to play while wanting a new deal in GB...do the boys go to that nightclub last NYE? Sometimes I think about stuff like that.

Stargazer
02-23-2008, 04:08 AM
ugh, i thought bringing Walker in here was a great idea. Man was I wrong.

Like to have 2nd round pick back.

Didn't like the trade when it went down for an injured player. Maybe Denver will learn...

WARHORSE
02-23-2008, 08:29 AM
We can work it out?
A Friday night dinner meeting between Broncos front-office folks and Javon Walker's representative was aimed at determining the receiver's future with the team.
"The goal is to see what we need to do to bring an end to the situation," agent Kennard McGuire said during a break in players-association meetings Friday afternoon.
Walker at times has expressed his unhappiness witha Broncos offense that continues to featuring emerging target Brandon Marshall and is perhaps too run-oriented to satiate his desire to catch passes.
Denver has a hefty investment in a player that can't seem to be happy, and it is trying to move him before two bonuses become due March 4.
Walker also is a candidate to be released.
There's only a slim chance that he'll stay, and virtually no shot of an agreement to restructure his contract.
There's also the issue of Walker's surgically repaired right knee to consider.
McGuire did admit that part of his role in Indianapolis, though he won't confirm or deny any trade talks or say that Walker's told him outright he wants out of Denver, is "to put to rest any level of concern that anybody would have about his ability to play football."
It's clear reading between the lines that is meantfor other teams, because no club would have a better read on Walker's health than Denver.

Scarface
02-23-2008, 08:33 AM
and he has chronic hamstring problems. . . . if we're going to go after a WR in free agency, i'd prefer hackett or johnson. . . .

Is that why he's played 16 of 16 games 3 of the last 4 years?

Scarface
02-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions. I haven't read anything about him demanding to be the #1 wr of being a glory hound. He just went thru the season as the #3 option and I didn't hear a peep from him.

And I keep seeing Michael Clayton's name....why? The guy is a bust. If you can't play WR for Jon Gruden and put up respectable numbers then somethings not right.