View Full Version : Broncos, Thomas end talks

BroncoLee
02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Great news guys, IMO... :beer:

Broncos, Thomas end talks
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 02:43:33 PM MST

INDIANAPOLIS — The Zach Thomas-to-Denver talk is dead.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Thursday afternoon at the NFL combine that Thomas will not visit Denver. Rosenhaus did say he and the Broncos had preliminary talks about the middle linebacker but they will not continue dialogue.

"It's not going to happen in Denver," Rosenhaus said.

Denver was one of six teams to make contact with Rosenhaus after Thomas was cut last week by Miami. He already has visited New England and New Orleans, and the Patriots have an offer out to Thomas, who will visit Dallas and Houston next week.

Denver is looking for a linebacker. If the Broncos pursue a middle linebacker, DJ Williams would move to weakside linebacker. Rosenhaus said the Broncos asked about Dan Morgan, who was cut by Carolina two weeks ago, but no serious talks have occurred.

BroncoLee
02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
What do you guys think about Dan Morgan?

MHCBill
02-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Dan Morgan

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

BroncoLee
02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I honestly have not kept up with the Panthers to know much about him.

Slick
02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I honestly have not kept up with the Panthers to know much about him.

Six concussions before the 2006 season, and he's missed extensive playing time in the last two. I'm sure he's been concussed since then.

No thanks.

mclark
02-21-2008, 06:15 PM
What do you guys think about Dan Morgan?

Good player but chronic concussions make him a long-shot to make it back and play regularly I'd think.

Hoshdude7
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Noo!!

mclark
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Ok; there's still an unwanted linebacker on the New York Jets roster who the Jets have said is not physically able to play. I wonder if he is?

BroncoLee
02-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Sounds like he's a big risk. At this point we cannot take any more risks washed up FA's or any player with baggage.

tubby
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Curtis Lofton. He can play inside and outside. Let DJ pick what he wants to play.

BeefStew25
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
We need a mean cuss. Someone real bitter.

Slick
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM

On both sides of the ball.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
How about Jonathan Vilma?

mclark
02-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Hillary Clinton?

turftoad
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM

How about Al Wilson. He's probably just as healthy as every other name brought up in THIS thread so far.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm all for Vilma. I'd love another player with a degenerative knee on our team. We seem to have a lot of 'em pass through

roomemp
02-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Check it out Boss :beer:

Eric Mangini makes a special hire
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 4:00 AM

It took nearly two months, but the Jets finally found a replacement for longtime special teams coach Mike Westhoff, who left for medical reasons after the season. On Wednesday, Eric Mangini hired Kevin O'Dea, who spent the last two seasons as the Chicago Bears' special teams assistant.

The Bears, led by all-world kick returner Devin Hester, ranked No. 1 in the NFL in overall special teams the last two seasons, which helped O'Dea's stock after being fired by the Cardinals.

In 2004 and 2005, the only time in his career he was in charge of the entire special-teams unit, O'Dea achieved mixed results. Placekicker Neil Rackers set three field-goal records in 2005, but the Cards' coverage units allowed six touchdowns in those two seasons - one more than Westhoff's yielded in his seven years as the Jets' special teams boss.

Mangini also made two minor moves on his coaching staff, elevating Jerome Henderson from assistant secondary coach to secondary coach and moving offensive line coach Mike Devlin to tight ends/assistant offensive line coach. Recently hired Bill Callahan is now coaching the line.

JETTING OFF? LB Jonathan Vilma admits on his Web site that he's in the dark about his future with the Jets. "As for playing in 2008, I have no idea what is in store for me as far as what the Jets are thinking," he writes. Vilma, who has one year remaining on his contract, could be dangled in trade talks, perhaps as soon as this weekend at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. Three months removed from major knee surgery, he says he has started jogging and hopes to be sprinting in about a month. Vilma, rehabbing in Miami, visited team doctors last week and "things went well." He expects to be 100% by training camp in July.

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
We need to sign Jonathan Vilma and Lance Briggs, and then make a trade for Adalius Thomas from the Pats. Then we would be stakced at LB.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
i think we should get morgan AND vilma. . . . then we can change the name of the team-- do you guys prefer "denver gimps" or "denver cripples?"

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Non related thought of the night - It would almost be comical for the Pats to sign Wilson just to see some of you guys spin off the planet..

dogfish
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Non related thought of the night - It would almost be comical for the Pats to sign Wilson just to see some of you guys spin off the planet..

man, that was just cold. . . . :tsk:

WARHORSE
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Morgan had a staggering 25 tackles in their superbowl.

And almost as many concussions. It serves absolutely no purpose to have a player come in and sit on the bench.

As for Vilma, Id love to see him play the middle for us and DJ the outside. Vilma actually has some hands to intercept some passes.

It of course would depend on the status of his knee......but if its ok, hes the guy I would go after. Him and DJ can reunite to take over our new defense. Vilma will be an elite MLB, and DJ will be an elite OLB.

BTW......DJ had 141 tackles last year. Second only to Patrick WIllis.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-21-2008, 10:38 PM
yippee

topscribe
02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
i think we should get morgan AND vilma. . . . then we can change the name of the team-- do you guys prefer "denver gimps" or "denver cripples?"

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

In the true western tradition, they will all walk like John Wayne . . .

-----

DenBronx
02-22-2008, 12:17 AM
id love to see vilma as a bronco....but i hate seeing dj bounce around like this every year. it would be sweet to see them playing together again though. if vilma comes back 100% then that would be a sick duo. what would the jets ask for him??? 3rd rounder? walker?

Stargazer
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Yay, some of you want Denver trading a draft pick for Vilma coming back from major knee surgery. Yay!

Scarface
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
How about Al Wilson. He's probably just as healthy as every other name brought up in THIS thread so far.

There's rumors he flunked a physical with Detroit.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
These rumors show us one thing for sure... Denver is looking to move D.J. back to WILL. That is two MLB we have been rumored to look at now... Thomas and Morgan... both are middle linebackers. Obviously Denver is looking for a MLB.

weazel
02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
We need to sign Jonathan Vilma and Lance Briggs, and then make a trade for Adalius Thomas from the Pats. Then we would be stakced at LB.

I think the Broncos should sign every free agent available! They could bring all of them to camp and just keep the ones that they like!

actually, they should sign every retired player as well, and let them try to make the roster as well!

even better, they should sign all the free agents and retired players from the other major sports as well! That would be the best option ever!!!! I cant wait to see the 4 billion dollar cap the team would have, it would be magic!

:banghead:

weazel
02-22-2008, 12:12 PM
These rumors show us one thing for sure... Denver is looking to move D.J. back to WILL. That is two MLB we have been rumored to look at now... Thomas and Morgan... both are middle linebackers. Obviously Denver is looking for a MLB.

I guess Shanny seen what most of us seen last season. Where are the "DJ was great at Mike" guys hanging out right now?

shank
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I guess Shanny seen what most of us seen last season. Where are the "DJ was great at Mike" guys hanging out right now?

right here. DJ was very good at the end of the season and could develop into a great MLB with a chance to do so (which he will never get i suppose). I won't be upset if we move him again, but i do get a little upset when people shortchange DJ like that. If we fix up the DL and get a good Mike, DJ will be in the pro bowl at Will.

sneakers
02-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I am glad, we don't need anymore passed their prime overpaid defensive players on our team anymore.

Stargazer
02-24-2008, 06:05 AM
I am glad, we don't need anymore passed their prime overpaid defensive players on our team anymore.

Agree 100%!

Bronco9798
02-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I love the off-season. Every FA and even non-FA's get their own "How About" thread!!

Retired_Member_001
02-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm glad they ended the talks and I hope they never come up again...

EVER!

CoachChaz
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I love the off-season. Every FA and even non-FA's get their own "How About" thread!!

It's almost warranted since Denver seems to inquire about every one of them.

BeefStew25
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Is Marty Booker a turd?