PDA

View Full Version : If a top flight OT is our choice at #12, does he start right away?

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I think everyone is in agreement that getting a top flight offensive tackle (whether it's protecting the left side or right side) is a priority of this team. Given the past history, rookie tackles for the Broncos regardless of drafting position usually sit a year and learn the ropes. Given the lack of quality depth at the position; and the inexperience overall - would a selection of someone such as Ryan Clady (or another tackle) if selected in the first round reverse that trend?

There is probably more to it than a yes or no, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Nomad
02-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Drafting is gambling IMO! Who knows how these guys will perform at the pro level. I say let him earn the job like everyone else even though he'd be a #1 pick. And let's hope he's not a Robert Gallery- big and heavy for nothing!

GEM
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I think everyone is in agreement that getting a top flight offensive tackle (whether it's protecting the left side or right side) is a priority of this team. Given the past history, rookie tackles for the Broncos regardless of drafting position usually sit a year and learn the ropes. Given the lack of quality depth at the position; and the inexperience overall - would a selection of someone such as Ryan Clady (or another tackle) if selected in the first round reverse that trend?

There is probably more to it than a yes or no, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

If he's Joe Thomas caliber....he could be making the Pro Bowl his first year....On MERIT, not popularity! Jay did pretty well with a crap line.....imagine what he could do with a good line......hang on a second, something just got wet. LMAO!

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
If he's Joe Thomas caliber....he could be making the Pro Bowl his first year....On MERIT, not popularity! Jay did pretty well with a crap line.....imagine what he could do with a good line......hang on a second, something just got wet. LMAO!

I hear you GEM. I think a lot of people don't see OT as a "sexy pick" but I think it's an absolute must. You're right about Jay, he did well given his circumstances - and it's time we improve what he has around him. Quarterbacks usually get paired with a best friend (WR or TE) the same year they're drafted. Almost immediately after, their guardian is found. Perhaps Harris can be the guy on one side; but I know Pears isn't the guy for the other.

It's time to find Jay a big man to help him out. :salute:

lex
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Honestly, I wouldnt rule out a 4th round player cracking the starting lineup when looking at who we have now. We have a 3rd rounder from last year who has back problems and hasnt played and a UFA who stunk it up a year ago. And being a 3rd round pick last year might equate to a lower round pick this year, though thats impossible to know for certain...I happen to think the tackles are deeper this year but maybe not. So, yeah, its not mutually exclusive. I wouldnt say taking one later means he wont start but at the same time we cant just get anyone and make it work. We need to look at skill set.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I think everyone is in agreement that getting a top flight offensive tackle (whether it's protecting the left side or right side) is a priority of this team.

yea, probably everyone except the front office. . . . :laugh:

obviously no one can answer that question definitively, but for starters i would say it depends on who that rookie tackle is. . . . a guy like cherilus or baker is probably a lot more ready than, say, otah. . . one thing we know for sure is that any rookie OT we bring in would have exactly as much NFL playing time as ryan harris, unless maybe he logged some snaps on special teams last year. . . i would be surprised if a rook started from day one, but how hard would it really be to take pears' job away from him? we've seen some rookie OTs play very well recently (not only thomas, but marcus mcneil and charles spencer immediately come to mind as well), so it's not like there isn't any precedent. . . .

mclark
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Part of what makes this difficult to know is whether Ryan Harris is any good. We haven't had a chance to see him play much. The staff says they believe in him; but is he ready (any more than Clady would be)?

My take is that if we draft Clady, he'll start. If we draft Clady (or any offensive tackle early), I guess we could understand this as meaning that the Ryan Harris buzz was just a ruse, and he's probably another reach in the draft.

What about signing Flozell Adams, who is now a free agent, as our left tackle for next season?

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Clady doesn't start IMO. He plays RT or sits the bench untill his pass protection catches up with his run blocking and learns the ZBS

UnderArmour
02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
If we are taking an OT with the #12 pick, his ass better be starting right away. Sitting behind a Pears or Harris? Are you freaking kidding me? Why would we waste a #12 pick on a loser who would sit behind those 2?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I vote no.

lex
02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
If that Sporting News mock is true, which has us taking Jake Long at 12, and if we keep our 4th round picks, I wouldnt mind taking Duane Brown with one of them and then we'd have depth and Jake could focus on RT.

WARHORSE
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Nothing is guaranteed in the draft.

As I stated earlier, thats why we select Jared Allen with the 12th pick.

Stargazer
02-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Denver has already spent a 3rd round pick on an OT last year. And now Denver will select one in the 1st? I just don't see it.

Stargazer
02-22-2008, 01:03 AM
As I stated earlier, thats why we select Jared Allen with the 12th pick.

Barf. Two #1's and a huge contract with a huge signing bonus. I don't see Pat Bowlen whipping out huge checks this offseason. This team is building through the draft. Fantasy trades or huge signings is not happening this year.

WARHORSE
02-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Barf. Two #1's and a huge contract with a huge signing bonus. I don't see Pat Bowlen whipping out huge checks this offseason. This team is building through the draft. Fantasy trades or huge signings is not happening this year.

Barf. Who isnt worth a big contract if not the guys who earn it?

Besides, at 12, theres a big chunk of change going out anyway.

Denver trades its 12 for the Cowboys 22 and 28, and gives em to KC for Jared. How many firsts did we lose?:coffee:

BroncoBJ
02-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Yea your right about an OT not being a sexy pick. But our Oline is pretty bad right now and a top prospect would be better then what we have now IMO. I dont know if they would start right away but I'd say they would have to earn it in camp or maybe after a few games even. Theres nothing to nifty about drafting a linemen. A lot of people want playmakers like a Medenhall or Stewart, or maybe a Phillips. But games are won and lost in the trenches. :salute:

Plus thats our weakest link right now.

BOSSHOGG30
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm not as concerned about our current group of guys on the offensive line as most. I think we have a lot of talent and most of our guys are just young and still learning. We are going through some growing pains. I think we will see a much better line this year. We do need some depth though, so some later round picks would be nice.

With this said, I hope Harris put on some weight during the off-season. Our line is still too small. We need another beefer in there. It would be nice if Harris could get up to the 300 mark.

Harris (290), Hamilton (280), Myers (295), Holland (322), Kuper (302) and Pears (305)...

Average: 299

Hamilton really brings us down at center, but it would be nice if we were averaging about 302-305.

Retired_Member_001
02-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes I think a top flight OT should start straight away.

Why?

Because our offensive line is THAT bad at the moment. I honestly think whoever we draft will be better than Erik Pears and I think if we were to draft a top flight OT, he should start in front of Ryan Harris unless Ryan Harris is amazing in Training Camp. It will take the young OT some time to get used to the NFL but the more he plays, the quicker he will learn and adapt. Look at Joe Thomas or Tony Ugoh, they have both started from the start and have been impressive. You have to have trust that the guy will adapt and learn. However I doubt that Shanny would start a rookie OT from the beggining, unless the OT is exceptional.

BOSSHOGG30
02-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Flozell Adams, Michigan State
Walter Jones, Florida State
Leonard Davis, Texas
Steve Hutchinson, Michigan
Andre Gurode, Colorado
Shawn Andrews, Georgia
Matt Birk, Harvard
Chris Samuels, Alabama
Chad Clifton, Tennessee
Matt Light, Purdue
Jason Peters, Arkansas
Alan Faneca, LSU
Logan Mankins, Fresno State
Jeff Saturday, UNC
Kris Dielman, Indiana
Dan Koppen, Boston College
Jonathan Odgen, UCLA
Marcus McNeil, Auburn
Joe Thomas, Wisconsin

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Our line wasn't THAT bad during the whole...is simply was emarrassed on national TV vs San Diego when it had a) a bad night and b) some key players injured. I agree a Tackle is a need, but Shanny sings the praises of Harris, so who am I to disagree?

dogfish
02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
it was embarrassed by houston and detroit also. . . .

Hoshdude7
02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Face it we get embarrassed all the time

nevcraw
02-24-2008, 09:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3258420

Long list of prospective left tackles in draft
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The fascinating part of the 2008 scouting combine is the abundance of offensive tackles. As many as seven tackles -- even those that might need to be converted to the left side -- could be candidates for first-round consideration.

Jake Long of Michigan got the proceedings started Thursday by checking in at 6-foot-7 and 313 pounds. The long arms of Long, plus his 11-inch hands, make him a candidate for the Miami Dolphins' pick at No. 1. Left tackles often are on an island solo blocking an opponent's best pass-rushing defender.

Long arms and great footwork allow the great left tackles to handle those duties without the help of a tight end or a blocking back. For a decade, NFL offenses had the luxury of spreading the field with an extra receiver because left tackles such as Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, William (Tra) Thomas and others sealed off the right-handed quarterbacks' blind side with blocks.

If the prospect ratings hold up come the April 26-27 draft, offenses could replenish one of the most important -- and expensive -- positions.

"It's the best group I've seen in 24 years collectively," said Kevin Colbert, the Pittsburgh Steelers' director of football operations. "It was a good group before the juniors were added to it. Those guys enhanced what we really think is a strong group. The majority of them can play on the left side or play both sides. It's unusual to have that many guys that big and that athletic and that productive."

Long, Chris Williams from Vanderbilt, Jeff Otah of Pitt, Sam Baker of Southern Cal and Gosder Cherilus of Boston College comprised an already impressive class of senior tackles. Each stands between 6-5 and 6-7. Each weighs in excess of 308 pounds.

Then Ryan Clady of Boise State and Anthony Collins of Kansas were added to the mix when the underclassmen declared. Offensive line coaches drooled at the prospects. Clady played left and right tackle in Boise State's creative passing offense. He also seems to have a sense of where he fits in as an NFL tackle.

"We were primarily a zone team, and I'm kind of like a Denver Broncos-type offensive lineman,'' Clady said. "We cut a lot and position block and stuff like that."

Let's see … Broncos left tackle Matt Lepsis retired. You get the picture.

Collins is the sleeper, a bonus tackle in the group. He played basketball in high school and stumbled onto the football team for only his senior year, just to be with his friends. Coming out of high school, he was 6-4, 220 pounds, but Kansas headed a list of colleges interested in him. He ended up playing left and right tackle there.

After checking with an NFL draft advisory committee, Collins learned he had second- and third-round grades. With only 15 hours of classes left for graduation and coming off a 12-1 season, Collins decided to turn pro even though this might be one of the richest tackles classes in NFL history.

"There are a lot of great tackles here, but I feel like I'm one of the best ones," Collins said. "I just have to show it at this combine."

Had NFL teams known there would be this many quality tackles available in 2008, that knowledge might have affected some of the moves in the 2007 draft.

The Indianapolis Colts traded away a 2008 first-round choice for left tackle Tony Ugoh, but they won't look back on that move. To their surprise, Pro Bowl left tackle Tarik Glenn retired before camp opened. Despite some injuries that held him out of five games, Ugoh played the left tackle position without the help of a tight end, allowing Peyton Manning to run his normal offense.

The San Francisco 49ers reached a year ahead of schedule to grab Joe Staley, their left tackle of the future. Staley did well at right tackle and has a year of experience behind him.

Niners general manager Scot McCloughan doesn't look back on the move, even though he might have plucked a higher-graded tackle with what's become the seventh pick in this draft, a selection now owned by the New England Patriots. Staley (the third tackle selected overall in the 2007 draft) and the Colts' Ugoh (the fourth tackle picked) have proven to be wise investments so far for their respective teams.

"When you look at both of those guys and how it played out this year, they were good players and you got bang for the buck where you took them," McCloughan said. "I think this year at tackle, it's one of the better years I've seen probably in 10 years. It will be interesting to see how many of them go in the first and second rounds, but it will be a handful."

That's a Jake Long-sized handful.

What will be interesting to see this week is where Long lands in the draft. New executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells cleaned house on the Dolphins' offensive line. He hired a head coach, Tony Sparano, who worked his offensive line in Dallas. You see where this is heading.

Long considered turning pro a year ago, but elected to stay at Michigan for his senior season.

[+] EnlargePaul Spinelli/Getty Images

Cleveland's Joe Thomas (No. 73), the first left tackle selected in the 2007 draft, made the Pro Bowl roster as a rookie.

"It has helped me a lot," Long said. "Last year, I didn't feel I was good enough to come out. I wanted to improve on things and those things I improved on. I feel I'm a smarter and better player than I was last year. I'm smarter in identifying the defenses. I worked on the little things in my game and I've gotten a lot better."

The Cleveland Browns turned their fortunes around after drafting left tackle Joe Thomas third overall last spring and signing left guard Eric Steinbach last season. Thomas went to the Pro Bowl and Steinbach was a first alternate. Long, who followed Thomas' career after leaving Wisconsin, knows the impact of a good left tackle.

"He's a great player and represents his school in the Big Ten very well," Long said. "He had a great rookie season. I'm going to have to follow in his footsteps and represent the Big Ten. He showed me and all the other rookies that you can come in and make a huge impact."

Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings clearly was the Rookie of the Year, but Thomas made as much of an impact at left tackle in turning around the Browns' offense in a 10-win season.

If you've watched the headlines over the past few days, you've seen the price of tackles escalate. Travelle Wharton of the Carolina Panthers re-signed for $6 million a year. Seattle Seahawks right tackle Sean Locklear signed a five-year, $32 million contract. Over the past two years, six guards received close to $7 million a year, and future star left tackles will go for $8 million to $9 million a year.

Drafting a tackle might not be as exciting as grabbing a top running back or smooth wide receiver. But again, look at Thomas' influence on the Browns in just one season. Clearly the Dolphins, who need everything, will be trying to trade down from the first pick in the draft to acquire more draft choices or veterans.

But in a tackle-rich draft, it's not out of the question for Long to grab top billing. Meanwhile, other offenses will be getting bargains at the position. Good tackles will be available even in the third round.

It's a Long list.

BOSSHOGG30
02-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris Williams, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker

Not much of a drop off from Ryan Clady and Jake Long..... We would be wise to by pass Clady in the 1st if he is still there and take an OT in the 2nd round or trade back and take one in the later 1st.

dogfish
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
i think collins could end up being a great value for us in the 2nd. . . he may be a bit raw still, but he has a ton of potential, and reportedly plays with some attitude. . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Clady hurt his peck... do you guys still want him at 12?

MOtorboat
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Will it heal?

dogfish
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM

as much as i did before, sure-- a little pec strain at the combine does nothing to change my view of him. . . i prefer stewart or mendenhall, but if they're gone i'd take clady over guys like connor, rivers, phillips or desean jackson-- you say clady would be rated lower in another class, but i think the same thing can be said just as easily about any of those guys as well. . .

Simple Jaded
02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
All he'd have to do is be better than Harris and Pears......How hard could that be?

If Denver can't get by with starting a rookie at OT, then there is something wrong with the coaching (Either way, there is something wrong with the coaching)......

Bronco9798
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Whoever is picked at 12 has to be a 1st year impact type player. If not, trade down and get more picks.

dogfish
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
All he'd have to do is be better than Harris and Pears......How hard could that be?

If Denver can't get by with starting a rookie at OT, then there is something wrong with the coaching (Either way, there is something wrong with the coaching)......

dude, you know you love all 298 pounds of ryan harris. . . . :lol:

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:55 PM
03/03/2008 9:20 PM
By Rob Rang
Senior Analyst
NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.mysportspage.com/news/home/index.html?article_id=120797

Less than a week after an estimated 40 scouts attended the University of Miami's Pro Day, more than 50 attended Boise State's workout.
My, how things have changed.
The scouts flocked to Boise to have an opportunity to view junior offensive tackle Ryan Clady. While Clady may lack the name recognition of other elite talents in this draft, some scouts consider him to be a better long-term left tackle prospect for than Michigan's Jake Long.
Clady measured in at a shade more than 6-feet-6 and 309 pounds. His arms were measured at 36 3/4 inches, tying him with late-round prospect Franklin Dunbar from Middle Tennessee State as the offensive lineman with the longest arms in this year's draft class.
Clady was timed between 5.15 and 5.23 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to scouts in attendance. He also posted a 31-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot broad jump. Clady's lateral agility and strong hands were obvious during drills.
The Carolina Panthers, owners of the 13th overall pick, met with Clady on Sunday night. He has a private meeting scheduled with the Chicago Bears, who have the 14th pick, next week. The Kansas City Chiefs (fifth), Baltimore Ravens (eighth) and Cincinnati Bengals (ninth) are also thought to have shown extra interest.
Clady elected not to participate in the bench press after posting 24 repetitions at 225 pounds at the Combine. While completing the bench press drill in Indianapolis, Clady strained his pectoral muscle, forcing the rest of the workout to be postponed until Monday. The day before sustaining the injury, he had informed media at the Combine that he planned to do the full workout.
Boise State's other likely draft choice -- cornerback Orlando Scandrick -- elected not to run Monday after posting a 4.33 at the Combine, good for second among all cornerbacks. He did perform in defensive back drills, showing a smooth backpedal, easy flip and turn and good agility in and out of his breaks.

Superchop 7
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
You don't draft a guy that high to sit on the bench.