PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Article- Ryan Clady

Traveler
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
A word of warning to teams considering Ryan Clady with an early pick in April's draft.

Use him as a goal-line receiver at your own risk.

Boise State coaches learned that the hard way in November. To reward Clady for three stellar seasons, the Broncos called a tackle-eligible play during a 58-14 rout of Idaho. Clady caught the pass for an apparent touchdown, then began an end-zone celebration that would have made even Chad Johnson blush.

First, the normally soft-spoken Clady struck a pose that Boise State offensive line coach Scott Huff calls the "left tackle Heisman." The 6-foot-6, 316-pound Clady and several teammates then did their own version of the Lambeau Leap into the Bronco Stadium stands.

The scene was so wild that one Boise State player compared Clady to the husky lineman who breaks out wild dance moves in a Dr. Pepper commercial.

The touchdown was nullified because of a penalty and the Broncos were called for unsportsmanlike conduct because of Clady's post-score antics. But with the Broncos steamrolling toward a 58-14 blowout, Huff said Clady can be forgiven.

"After that play, that was as loud as I've ever heard our stadium," Huff said Tuesday. "Everyone was fired up. It was hilarious."

NFL teams are now set to take a serious look at Clady at the scouting combine, which will be held today through Tuesday in Indianapolis. The first early-entry Boise State junior in the draft, Clady also is set to become the school's inaugural first-round draft choice.

"I felt I accomplished everything I needed to (at Boise State)," Clady said. "I felt I had a great career there. After the season, I just had to sit down with my family and friends to talk about the situation.

"It is exciting to be the first Boise State player drafted in the first round and the first to leave early. It's crazy. But at the same time, it's an honor for the school and I'm thankful to be in this situation."

Clady worked himself into such a prestigious spot with standout performances the past two seasons at left tackle — a position he didn't play before arriving in Boise. Clady was a lightly recruited defensive tackle at Eisenhower High School in Rialto, Calif. He spent his freshman season with the Broncos at that spot while being redshirted. Clady was converted to right tackle the following year.

"I think I went under the radar (out of high school)," Clady said. "I thought I was a good defensive lineman, but everyone recruited me as an o-lineman. Maybe some colleges weren't interested just because I didn't play there in high school and they didn't think I would pan out. Boise State took a chance on me."

That gamble paid off. Clady received a slew of 2007 postseason honors while playing for an offense that finished fourth in scoring and 12th overall in NCAA rankings. Although he struggled at times in games against Washington and Hawaii, Clady notched an 82.2-percent blocking grade for the season.

"When we're reviewing plays on Sunday, we'll say things like, 'Oh my gosh. This is really impressive,'" Huff said of Boise State's coaching staff. "It becomes even more so over time when you watch all the different things Ryan can do. Whether he's pushing people out of the way or recovering in pass protection, his athletic ability just sets him apart."

Those skills could make some teams consider choosing Clady ahead of Michigan's Jake Long, who is regarded as the draft's other blue-chip left tackle. Long may get picked first because he faced a higher level of competition with the Wolverines than Clady did at Boise State.

Regardless, NFLdraftscout.com analyst Rob Rang said both will both be top 10 selections. Rang said Clady's style compares favorably to Washington left tackle Chris Samuels, who was voted to his fifth career Pro Bowl last season.

"Jake is the more hyped prospect of the two, but there is simply no comparing the athletic upside," Rang said. "Clady's quick feet and long arms make him arguably the best pass blocker in this draft. Long lacks Clady's athleticism but is far and away the more physical player."

A fan of Seattle's future Hall of Fame left tackle Walter Jones, Clady believes he would be well-suited for a team that uses a zone-blocking scheme. Clady describes himself as a "more athletic lineman who is able to cut and get into space."

Clady, though, is working to gain the strength needed to become a better in-line run blocker. The bench press has become a major area of emphasis during pre-draft workouts. Clady said he can now perform 28 repetitions with 230 pounds after being limited to 20 reps at 225 when he began training.

Clady also said he plans to perform in every combine drill, which will earn him brownie points among NFL clubs compared to other top prospects who are more selective.

"That's the best approach for the combine," Clady said. "Otherwise, there's really no reason to go."

Wherever he goes in the draft, Clady says he will be satisfied. He will have the financial means to help support his father, a custodian who raised four children after Clady's mother died while he was in the eighth grade.

"I'm just grateful to be in this situation," Clady said. "There's no certain team I hope to go to and what not. I'm not going to get messed up in this process. I really feel I'm blessed."

That alone is reason to celebrate.

Alex Marvez interviewed Clady while hosting Tuesday on Sirius NFL Radio (Channel 124). Alex and Vic Carucci will appear from noon to 3 p.m. ET Thursday and Friday on Sirius.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7820516/Clady-turned-into-quite-a-draft-catch

I would be a very happy camper if LT Clady & G Branden Albert were the Broncos 1st & 2nd round selections.