PDA

View Full Version : Mort with new info on the Marshall situation

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
He was saying on ESPN just now that the VETERAN PLAYERS on the team were the ones who made "accountability" the theme of the week, he said that Marshall was late for treatment sessions, and he said the players he talked to were behind the decision to bench him. So those on here who are thinking there will be a revolt against McD in the locker room seem to be wrong.

Northman
01-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Uh oh, did i just hear a turtle get flushed? lol

Nomad
01-03-2010, 10:32 AM
The 'TEAM' has spoken, now that speaks volumes of what kind of teammate Marshall is!!

Ziggy
01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Graham has already come out and said that the coach did what was best for the team. I've posted the quote and link in 2 different threads. I have no doubt that what he's reporting is true, only because it's been stated in so many words by a team captain. Mort is useless. Graham however, is a reliable source.

Nomad
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Graham has already come out and said that the coach did what was best for the team. I've posted the quote and link in 2 different threads. I have no doubt that what he's reporting is true, only because it's been stated in so many words by a team captain. Mort is useless. Graham however, is a reliable source.

And usually a team keeps this under wraps!! It's not like they're all going to come out individually and throw Marshall or McDaniels under the bus. Graham answered the question as PC as he could.!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 10:51 AM
He was saying on ESPN just now that the VETERAN PLAYERS on the team were the ones who made "accountability" the theme of the week, he said that Marshall was late for treatment sessions, and he said the players he talked to were behind the decision to bench him. So those on here who are thinking there will be a revolt against McD in the locker room seem to be wrong.

I question the validity of this report just like I don't completely buy Bill Williams' "irked" veterans one. I just don't think you can trust these guys. I look at what Marshall said and what McD said and make my decisions based on that. The media spin is just too much these days. 4 conflicting reports in 2 days means guys aren't doing their homework and nobody is telling the whole truth.

broncofaninfla
01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah because Mort has been so accurate in the past.....

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Well i doubt he just woke up and made it up off the top of his head so I'm sure there is at least some truth to it. People like to always pound home the times he's been wrong, but he is right a vast majority of the time, or he wouldn't still have the job he has.

Ziggy
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Of course he has. That's why Chiefs fans are so happy with thier new coach Mike Shanahan. I doubt either Marshall or McD are telling all of the truth. I defer to the co-captain on this one.

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Of course he has. That's why Chiefs fans are so happy with thier new coach Mike Shanahan. I doubt either Marshall or McD are telling all of the truth. I defer to the co-captain on this one.

Proving my point about people liking to pound home one of the rare times he's gotten something bad wrong and ignoring the fact that most of the time, he is right.

Ziggy
01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Proving my point about people liking to pound home one of the rare times he's gotten something bad wrong and ignoring the fact that most of the time, he is right.

Are we talking about the same Chris Mortenson here?

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
This report at least has some specifics in it. Not just some nameless players being "irked", but specifics about the reasoning behind the benching.

If this is true (note I said "if"), Marshall has no excuse. Late to treatment during a week when everything's on the line, and an injury that may or may not keep you from playing? Please. If that's true, Marshall has proven once again what he's all about. . .and dammit I like the guy.

Putting all the pieces together, this certainly fits with everything that happened this week. . .unfortunately.

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Are we talking about the same Chris Mortenson here?

Mort makes hundreds and hundreds of reports ever year and has made thousands in his career. I bet you can't name 10 times that he's been wrong. You can name the big examples that everyone mentions all the time, but the fact is that if he was wrong as often as some claim, he wouldn't still have a job.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Mort makes hundreds and hundreds of reports ever year and has made thousands in his career. I bet you can't name 10 times that he's been wrong. You can name the big examples that everyone mentions all the time, but the fact is that if he was wrong as often as some claim, he wouldn't still have a job.

True, but in Ziggy's defense, Mortensen often seems late to the party. If his reports are acurrate, he's the last one reporting. If he's the first he's usually wrong. Usually he just poaches Adam Schefter's work for his own and puts his own 2 cents in that gives the story spin.

BroncoAV06
01-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Its just bad all around. Marshall is one of my favorite players because he is actualy a playmaker. But in the end this looks just to not be a good enviroment for him because what ever he does is going to be under a microscope and easy for the coach to bench him for. McD is trying to change things, I hope he does, I will support him, but I question things like others as well. And I hope he realizes that a team full of Rudys will only get so far.

Looks like another exciting offseason.

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
And Schefter just said on ESPN that Marshall and Scheffler aren't even allowed in the stadium today and their status for a potential playoff game would be uncertain.

JONtheBRONCO
01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Lol, and all the drama at the Post talking about how the locker room was split. BS. This is great news. Good to see we have some TEAM players who are about the TEAM! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JONtheBRONCO
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I question the validity of this report just like I don't completely buy Bill Williams' "irked" veterans one. I just don't think you can trust these guys. I look at what Marshall said and what McD said and make my decisions based on that. The media spin is just too much these days. 4 conflicting reports in 2 days means guys aren't doing their homework and nobody is telling the whole truth.

Lol.

This is what your saying.

I can't trust Mcdaniels, the veteran leaders, the rest of the team and the team captain.

But hey, I trust Marshall. Dude, get real.

JONtheBRONCO
01-03-2010, 11:48 AM
From ESPN.com

"The Broncos sent Marshall for an MRI on his hamstring after he complained of the injury during Wednesday's practice. According to team sources, the test indicated that Marshall's hamstring was healthy.

The latest showdown between the head coach and the Pro Bowl receiver actually began the week before when Marshall excused himself from practice, complaining the cold weather was making it difficult for him to breathe."

Then, as the team reviewed tape of its loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, in which Marshall dropped several passes, McDaniels mentioned that certain plays had to be made. Marshall apparently felt he was being unfairly singled out for criticism.

"According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs."

"The Broncos do not think it's a coincidence that Marshall became a distraction almost immediately after achieving several personal goals, including having another 100-catch season and making the Pro Bowl. McDaniels has been implementing a team-first mentality similar to that he experienced while part of Bill Belichick's staff with the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

Scheffler was presumably demoted to the scout team after he was overheard telling teammates that he couldn't wait for Denver's season to end."

And we have fans actually sticking up for these guys....?

BroncoAV06
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
From ESPN.com

"The Broncos sent Marshall for an MRI on his hamstring after he complained of the injury during Wednesday's practice. According to team sources, the test indicated that Marshall's hamstring was healthy.

The latest showdown between the head coach and the Pro Bowl receiver actually began the week before when Marshall excused himself from practice, complaining the cold weather was making it difficult for him to breathe."

Then, as the team reviewed tape of its loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, in which Marshall dropped several passes, McDaniels mentioned that certain plays had to be made. Marshall apparently felt he was being unfairly singled out for criticism.

"According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs."

"The Broncos do not think it's a coincidence that Marshall became a distraction almost immediately after achieving several personal goals, including having another 100-catch season and making the Pro Bowl. McDaniels has been implementing a team-first mentality similar to that he experienced while part of Bill Belichick's staff with the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

Scheffler was presumably demoted to the scout team after he was overheard telling teammates that he couldn't wait for Denver's season to end."

Wait Mort works for ESPN, people automaticly don't belive what is coming out from the other side, but these reports are gold?

Its a goverment cover up and aliens are real.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Lol.

This is what your saying.

I can't trust Mcdaniels, the veteran leaders, the rest of the team and the team captain.

But hey, I trust Marshall. Dude, get real.

No, i said I don't trust the media.

topscribe
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM

I don't know how you can make any decisions solely off what McDaniels said
vs. what Marshall said. That is obviously a "he said - he said" situation.

-----

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
And Schefter just said on ESPN that Marshall and Scheffler aren't even allowed in the stadium today and their status for a potential playoff game would be uncertain.

Just saw his tweet on this. Definitely playing hardball.

JONtheBRONCO
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Wait Mort works for ESPN, people automaticly don't belive what is coming out from the other side, but these reports are gold?

Its a goverment cover up and aliens are real.

Team sources. Team captains.

turftoad
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM

This is just dumb.

Even if we do make the playoffs, we're not going far. Especially without those two.

It still takes talent to win

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't know how you can make any decisions solely off what McDaniels said
vs. what Marshall said. That is obviously a "he said - he said" situation.

-----

That's it exactly. The media spin just makes it worse. If it was the decision of the coach or the "team" or whoever, so be it. Not like my opinion matters. I just have a hard time believing anyone right now. There's too much double talk and unclear innuendo from both sides. Marshall says he's hurt. McD says marshall is faking and isn't being a team first player. Williamson says the locker room is polarized and vets are upset about the way Marshall and Scheffler have been treated. Mortensen says it was a team meeting and makes it sound like it was a vet decision that McD followed through on. Graham says that Marshall has played well but it was a coach's decision based on what McD thought was "best for the team". It's all just a bunch of BS that shouldn't be in the media. It's embarrassing and unprofessional on BOTH SIDES!!!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
From ESPN.com

Meh...

Go Brandon Marshall. Without him this team is bottom 5 in the league.

topscribe
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
That's it exactly. The media spin just makes it worse. If it was the decision of the coach or the "team" or whoever, so be it. Not like my opinion matters. I just have a hard time believing anyone right now. There's too much double talk and unclear innuendo from both sides. Marshall says he's hurt. McD says marshall is faking and isn't being a team first player. Williamson says the locker room is polarized and vets are upset about the way Marshall and Scheffler have been treated. Mortensen says it was a team meeting and makes it sound like it was a vet decision that McD followed through on. Graham says that Marshall has played well but it was a coach's decision based on what McD thought was "best for the team". It's all just a bunch of BS that shouldn't be in the media. It's embarrassing and unprofessional on BOTH SIDES!!!

Now, that's pretty much my thoughts on the situation: Neither side should have
used the media to air out their complaints with each other. IMO, McDaniels
should have used no more than the "personal reasons" explanation, and
Marshall and the others should have kept their mouths shut. At least, that's
the way it seems to me . . .

-----

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Now, that's pretty much my thoughts on the situation: Neither side should have
used the media to air out their complaints with each other. IMO, McDaniels
should have used no more than the "personal reasons" explanation, and
Marshall and the others should have kept their mouths shut. At least, that's
the way it seems to me . . .

-----

Yep. Even if there was just cause to bench Marshall, the way it played out in the press wasn't good.

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Meh...

Go Brandon Marshall. Without him this team is bottom 5 in the league.

In our 8 wins, he is averaging 5 catches for 64 yards. You're saying there is no other WR that we could get to put up those numbers? Child, please.

He sure does come up big in our losses though! He is averaging 8 catches for 87 yards!

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
In our 8 wins, he is averaging 5 catches for 64 yards. You're saying there is no other WR that we could get to put up those numbers? Child, please.

He sure does come up big in our losses though! He is averaging 8 catches for 87 yards!

In most of our wins, the Broncos have been able to establish a running game. Haven't looked at the stats, but my guess would be all passing stats are lower in our wins.

blamkin86
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792471

According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs.

I tend to believe it. It's the most plausible reason I've heard yet for the goofy press conference benching Marshal - plus McDaniels obviously hiding some relevant information.

BroncoWave
01-03-2010, 12:13 PM
In most of our wins, the Broncos have been able to establish a running game. Haven't looked at the stats, but my guess would be all passing stats are lower in our wins.

Which further proves the point if we can establish the run, having a top WR isn't as important.

While Marshall is definitely our most talented player he is looking like TO 2.0 in every sense of the word and that being the case, I'm just not sure how much better he really makes us.

turftoad
01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

So.................. you're saying Willis is as good as Marshall, or can match his production? :confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
So.................. you're saying Willis is as good as Marshall, or can match his production? :confused:

I think he's say it'll be a WR by committee thing if Marshall leaves. the problem is, a big body WR that gets YAC is the only thing that makes our 3 yd curls and bubble screens even remotely effective. Smaller WRs that can't break tackles will just make Orton even less effective.

broncofaninfla
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Denver media is reporting division in the locker room, I'll take their word over Mort who sits a 1000 miles away. The way that Mcd has been targeting Shanny's guys and defending his the lack or performance from his guys has to have created some distention in the locker room. Also with Mcd's cries for accountability yet taking no blame for his putrid play calling all season long makes him look like a hypocrite.

rcsodak
01-03-2010, 12:48 PM

LMAO!

In other words, "I don't believe it! It's ALL Mcpoopypants' fault, I tell you.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

:laugh:

See, this is usually what happens when ya 'll don't use your God-given common senses.

We that do, KNOW that a HC would never do what's BAD for a team, for no apparent reason.

They DON'T just do shit on a whim because they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
LMAO!

In other words, "I don't believe it! It's ALL Mcpoopypants' fault, I tell you.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

See, this is usually what happens when ya 'll don't use your God-given common senses.

We that do, KNOW that a HC would never do what's BAD for a team, for no apparent reason.

They DON'T just do shit on a whim because they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :coffee:

I didn't say I didn't believe McDaniels, but I trust him about as far as i can throw him. I said this should've been handled IN HOUSE - not in the media. In no way are the broncos benefitted by McD's public display of discipline. It lowers marshall's committment to the team (if he had any) and also LOWERS HIS TRADE VALUE!

Marshall didn't blast McD in the media about this and McD is just defending himself, McD blasted Marshall. Marshall, when interviewed gave all the "canned answers" like he's supposed to. McD started the media shitstorm, not Marshall. That's a fact, and that's what I have a problem with. Frankly, I don't care if McD benched Marshall. We aren't making the playoffs anyway and we don't need him to win/lose to KC today. I care about him making a MOCKERY of my team in the media and making us look dysfunctional. It makes Marshall look bad and it also makes him look bad. most importantly it makes the BRONCOS look bad. That image will be remembered by FA and their agents come the offseason.

LordTrychon
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
LMAO!

I don't think anyone claims McDaniels is an evil mastermind out to destroy the Broncos from the inside with random and whimsical decisions.

People can do things for the right reasons in their own minds... and it doesn't make it a good decision.

I don't like how he handled this regardless of if Marshall deserved it.

People were claiming that OBVIOUSLY Marshall had done something pretty horrible to piss off the coach, based on the way Coach was reacting in the press conference.

Now, if he did something horrible to piss off the coach (which sounds plausible) then Coach likely didn't bench him because Captains asked him to.

Those two sides of the story (both from Marshall's detractors) don't really seem to mesh for me.

rcsodak
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Look at my thread. It's actually not by Mort, but by Werder/Scheffter. Mort is simply plagiarizing...... :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Look at my thread. It's actually not by Mort, but by Werder/Scheffter. Mort is simply plagiarizing...... :coffee:

The thing is, you seem to be believing everything you read. These guys are paid to embellish the truth, exaggerate, and spin stuff to get ratings. The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't have gotten to the media in the first place!

rcsodak
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think anyone claims McDaniels is an evil mastermind out to destroy the Broncos from the inside with random and whimsical decisions.

People can do things for the right reasons in their own minds... and it doesn't make it a good decision.

I don't like how he handled this regardless of if Marshall deserved it.

People were claiming that OBVIOUSLY Marshall had done something pretty horrible to piss off the coach, based on the way Coach was reacting in the press conference.

Now, if he did something horrible to piss off the coach (which sounds plausible) then Coach likely didn't bench him because Captains asked him to.

Those two sides of the story (both from Marshall's detractors) don't really seem to mesh for me.

I guess you missed the MULTIPLE posts, then, where your fellow posters said McD came over from NE to "destroy" the Broncos. And where he despises Shanny's players, no matter who they are...blah blah blah.

rcsodak
01-03-2010, 01:15 PM
The thing is, you seem to be believing everything you read. These guys are paid to embellish the truth, exaggerate, and spin stuff to get ratings. The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't have gotten to the media in the first place!

Really? They're paid to "embellish the truth"? You mean lie, just for headlines' sake?

Schefter? Williamson?

Hmmmm....I think you're cornfused with the mainstream media. You can't miss them....just look for the stars. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I guess you missed the MULTIPLE posts, then, where your fellow posters said McD came over from NE to "destroy" the Broncos. And where he despises Shanny's players, no matter who they are...blah blah blah.

Maybe they're just believing what they read:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14112757

Quote:
On the bright side, players aren't pulling guns on each other in the locker room. The Broncos are clearly less dysfunctional than the Washington Wizards. So they've got that going for them.

On the other hand, they end the season pretty much as they started it, with a young coach who says he's all about team unity and manages to wreak havoc anyway.

For the first time, players are publicly acknowledging a division in the locker room. Tight end Tony Scheffler, deactivated along with receiver Brandon Marshall for today's regular-season finale, said the move "doesn't sit very well with me or some of my teammates."

Meanwhile, first-year coach Josh McDaniels insists that a team without Marshall and Scheffler gives the Broncos their "best opportunity to win" today, an analysis so dubious from a football standpoint that it suggests McDaniels would rather lose with players loyal to him than win with players who are not.

The locker room appears to have broken into two camps — the roughly 60 percent of the roster McDaniels brought in and the roughly 40 percent remaining from last season. McDaniels has now feuded publicly with Marshall, Scheffler and former quarterback Jay Cutler, while substantially reducing the roles of Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Peyton Hillis and Ben Hamilton, all holdovers from the Mike Shanahan regime.

Unfortunately for McDaniels, the best players on the team are mostly Shanahan holdovers. Of the six Broncos named Pro Bowl starters, reserves or alternates, five were here when McDaniels arrived. As he makes the case that his acquisitions — players such as Jabar Gaffney and Knowshon Moreno — give the Broncos their best chance to win, fans who actually watch the games begin to wonder if this is about ability or favoritism.

McDaniels has gone to great lengths, for example, to rationalize Moreno's declining production by blaming an offensive line dominated by Shanahan holdovers, even as other backs exceed Moreno's per-carry averages behind the same line.

The rift with Marshall, the team's most productive offensive player, is of the old-school variety. The coach wants the player to play through a hamstring injury after an MRI showed no major damage. The player, who submitted in a similar situation last season and wound up needing hip surgery, says he can't.

McDaniels chose to escalate this dispute by publicly questioning Marshall's injury. This reflects a rather dramatic double standard on the subject of team unity.

Last summer, Stokley criticized the treatment of long snapper Mike Leach, whom McDaniels cut for no apparent reason other than to bring in his own guy. Scheffler was unhappy with McDaniels' treatment of Cutler. Both players have been on the outs with their coach since, a status reflected in their decreased role in the offense.

In short, under McDaniels, criticism of the coach is destructive of team unity, but criticism of a top player is not.

In response, Marshall suggested McDaniels is seeking scapegoats for his team's collapse since starting the season 6-0. No one in the locker room would have said so publicly had McDaniels not opened the door with his shots at Marshall.

The upside of this divisive strategy for McDaniels is if the Broncos get past the 3-12 Chiefs today, it will be mostly his guys getting it done.

McDaniels' double standard is fairly typical of NFL coaches, but he has made his retribution against those he considers disloyal more visible than most.

It appears now that Marshall played McDaniels during the season. His public hugs of the coach, which so delighted McDaniels, were interpreted by some as a victory for McDaniels' stern discipline in training camp. In retrospect, they look more like Marshall understanding exactly what it took to get back in McDaniels' good graces long enough to put up another 100-catch season, which he did. Now, with the season unraveling, so is the pretense of any loyalty between them.

McDaniels' approach can work if he wins. There have been lots of autocratic NFL coaches, some of them very successful. But in order to win with players loyal to him, McDaniels is going to have to pick better players. Except for 36-year-old safety Brian Dawkins, few of McDaniels' 30-odd additions to the roster have turned heads this year.

He has little choice now but to clear out more of the Shanahan holdovers this offseason in an effort to make the entire locker room "his guys." It seems increasingly clear that it is not so much loyalty to the Broncos that Josh McDaniels requires as it is loyalty to Josh McDaniels.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

topscribe
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe they're just believing what they read:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14112757

I think Krieger needs to do a little research . . .

-----

LordTrychon
01-03-2010, 01:22 PM

I ignore those, RC. :laugh: