PDA

View Full Version : Travis Henry Coming Back: Contract Redone

WARHORSE
02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Henry returning with redone deal
Running back accepts revised contract after rough first season with Broncos
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post (bwilliamson@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Henry returning with redone deal)
Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 12:45:15 AM MST

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0220/20080220__20080221_C06_SP21FBNBRONXJ~p1_200.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1836269 ) Broncos running back Travis Henry gained 433 of his 691 yards rushing last season in the first four games. He finished second on the team in rushing. (Hyoung Chang, The Denver Post )

INDIANAPOLIS — The Broncos answered one of their biggest offseason questions by agreeing with embattled running back Travis Henry on a restructured contract that will keep him in Denver.
The new deal gives Henry the opportunity to atone for a miserable first year in Denver. His agent said that was the primary reason for Henry's return.
"Travis wants to make it right in Denver," his agent, Hadley Engelhard, said Wednesday. "That is the big reason why he is back. He thinks it can work there."
Engelhard did not disclose the terms of the restructured deal. Originally, the Broncos would have owed a large portion of a $6 million option bonus to Henry on Feb. 29. Henry still has four years remaining on his contract.
Last March, Henry signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with Denver after being a salary cap casualty at Tennessee. Henry received a $12 million bonus as part of the contract.
The marriage between Henry and the Broncos started beautifully as he led the NFL in rushing after the first four games of the season. However, things went south.
In early October, word broke of Henry's positive drug test, which could have resulted in a year's suspension. After a 54-day saga, Henry won an appeal with the NFL.
But Henry suffered a series of knee and rib injuries that ruined his season. In the final 12 games, he missed four games and didn't have more than 65 yards in a single game. He didn't have a carry in the season finale against Minnesota.
Back in August, it was disclosed in a Georgia court that Henry had fathered nine children by nine women. Late last month, Henry said his issues wore on him. He said then he wanted to come back to the Broncos to show he could be productive on and off the field. He talked to team officials this month and they were satisfied with what they heard.
"He knows Denver is a good place for him," Engelhard said. "He knows he can be a productive player there." Henry will work in the backfield with Selvin Young, who had a productive rookie season in 2007.

Henry will likely take the role of the short-field bruising back, while Young offers Denver a breakaway threat.
The Broncos have been studying free-agent running backs and could look at some from a pool that includes Dallas' Julius Jones and Tennessee's Chris Brown. But the decision to stick with Henry makes it clear he will be a big part of the offense.
Earlier this week, the Broncos secured a deal with cornerback Dre Bly that will keep him in Denver. The Broncos now will concentrate on wide receiver Javon Walker, linebacker Ian Gold and safety John Lynch. The team is trying to trade Walker and Gold. Lynch is considering retirement.

broncosfanscott
02-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Well good to see that has been settled and won't have to worry about that. I am just curious as to the terms and that $6 million. Does he get it now or is is spread over a couple of years? I hope it works this year.

shank
02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
i'm glad. i think this is best, and would still like to see us bring in another runningback somewhere in the mid to late rounds. to be honest i just don't get why people like andre hall so much...

bring in a real blocking fullback to help make holes for henry and selvin. hopefully travis can stay healthy, because if he can, i see him easily in the top 5 rushing yards in the league.

WARHORSE
02-21-2008, 03:51 AM
I still think Denver will take another back somewhere. Whether in FA or the draft. But its good to see Henry has a reasonable head on his shoulders.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 06:46 AM
great, another year of running back by mediocrity. . . . :rolleyes:

he probably decided to come back because he hasn't had a chance to produce any offspring in denver yet. . . .

after the way we stood behind him-- despite the fact that he was useless to us for all but about four games-- he SHOULD be coming back for the veteran minimum with a chance to earn some incentives. . .

ah well, i hope to god this at least means we're going to focus on fixing the lines, but knowing shanahan he'll probably bring in a few busted down veterans and then draft a LB and a WR with our 1st day picks. . . .

HolyDiver
02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
With Henry, Young and Hall, now there is no reason to draft a Runningback.

Rex
02-21-2008, 09:09 AM

None whatsoever.

Scarface
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM

I still think we take one on Day 2. Henry can't be counted on.

Rex
02-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I still think we take one on Day 2. Henry can't be counted on.

Counted on to get hurt. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I think the giant holes on OL and Defense should override the need for a RB.

underrated29
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
excellent!

We will still draft a runningback, no doubt there. Just where will we take one?

Dog- i am almost certain that we will take a wr in the early 2nd, but thats just me.

Scarface
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Counted on to get hurt. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I think the giant holes on OL and Defense should override the need for a RB.

I'm not real happy with Henry right now after all the crap he put the team thru last year. But in a way this might be good, cause like you said maybe we'll focus on O-Line. All of the great teams have great o-lines. It's time for us to refocus on OL. We should take a hard long look at some of these stud Tackles coming out.

Hobe
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Only if there is a surprising good back in the late.

Wonder if Walker is watching.:eek:

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Good news... how much did we save?

lex
02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Henry returning with redone deal
Running back accepts revised contract after rough first season with Broncos
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post (bwilliamson@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Henry returning with redone deal)
Article Last Updated: 02/21/2008 12:45:15 AM MST

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0220/20080220__20080221_C06_SP21FBNBRONXJ~p1_200.JPG (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1836269 ) Broncos running back Travis Henry gained 433 of his 691 yards rushing last season in the first four games. He finished second on the team in rushing. (Hyoung Chang, The Denver Post )

INDIANAPOLIS — The Broncos answered one of their biggest offseason questions by agreeing with embattled running back Travis Henry on a restructured contract that will keep him in Denver.
The new deal gives Henry the opportunity to atone for a miserable first year in Denver. His agent said that was the primary reason for Henry's return.
"Travis wants to make it right in Denver," his agent, Hadley Engelhard, said Wednesday. "That is the big reason why he is back. He thinks it can work there."
Engelhard did not disclose the terms of the restructured deal. Originally, the Broncos would have owed a large portion of a $6 million option bonus to Henry on Feb. 29. Henry still has four years remaining on his contract.
Last March, Henry signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with Denver after being a salary cap casualty at Tennessee. Henry received a $12 million bonus as part of the contract.
The marriage between Henry and the Broncos started beautifully as he led the NFL in rushing after the first four games of the season. However, things went south.
In early October, word broke of Henry's positive drug test, which could have resulted in a year's suspension. After a 54-day saga, Henry won an appeal with the NFL.
But Henry suffered a series of knee and rib injuries that ruined his season. In the final 12 games, he missed four games and didn't have more than 65 yards in a single game. He didn't have a carry in the season finale against Minnesota.
Back in August, it was disclosed in a Georgia court that Henry had fathered nine children by nine women. Late last month, Henry said his issues wore on him. He said then he wanted to come back to the Broncos to show he could be productive on and off the field. He talked to team officials this month and they were satisfied with what they heard.
"He knows Denver is a good place for him," Engelhard said. "He knows he can be a productive player there." Henry will work in the backfield with Selvin Young, who had a productive rookie season in 2007.

Henry will likely take the role of the short-field bruising back, while Young offers Denver a breakaway threat.
The Broncos have been studying free-agent running backs and could look at some from a pool that includes Dallas' Julius Jones and Tennessee's Chris Brown. But the decision to stick with Henry makes it clear he will be a big part of the offense.
Earlier this week, the Broncos secured a deal with cornerback Dre Bly that will keep him in Denver. The Broncos now will concentrate on wide receiver Javon Walker, linebacker Ian Gold and safety John Lynch. The team is trying to trade Walker and Gold. Lynch is considering retirement.

Disgusting.

Flatinum
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Nice. Now they can concentrate on the real needs of the team - DT, LB, S and OL. You could probably put WR in there as well with Javon probably being released. (God, that's alot of needs).

lex
02-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice. Now they can concentrate on the real needs of the team - DT, LB, S and OL. You could probably put WR in there as well with Javon probably being released. (God, that's alot of needs).

Actually, if theyre going to stay at 12, it doesnt necessarily change the fact that RB is where the value is at that spot.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know how much this saves us?

lex
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know how much this saves us?

I think it may save us a couple of bucks at Wal Mart. Just kidding. Wal Mart is already comparatively discounted due to scale. And, FWIW, I havent even been in a Wal Mart since 2001.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Also, does this help Denver by making him more desireable in a trade for other teams?

lex
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Also, does this help Denver by making him more desireable in a trade for other teams?

It certainly makes it easier to cut him if we draft a RB and Henry doesnt win the job in training camp. Im not sure what his trade value is but it certainly makes him more expendable...and the popular opinion is paycut and/or converting signing bonuse to salary.

tubby
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Well done Hoss. :salute:

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
You have to respect the guy for what he did... it is hard not to... That is a good start if he truely wants to make things right.

turftoad
02-21-2008, 11:05 AM

It could but I doubt that's the reason he was re-signed. I know the jury is still out on Henry. Fact of the matter is that when healthy he is a very productive back in our system. Spliting time with Young should aid in him staying healthy.
I like it. Now we can concentrate on areas of need. Defense !!!

slim
02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
You have to respect the guy for what he did... it is hard not to... That is a good start if he truely wants to make things right.

Wow...and I thought we would have to put you on suicide watch. :beer:

Day1BroncoFan
02-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not so happy about this but I will give him another year. Maybe we pick someone up in the draft and he doesn't get the job or maybe he gets incentive and plays for the whole year injury free.

pnbronco
02-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I still think Denver will take another back somewhere. Whether in FA or the draft. But its good to see Henry has a reasonable head on his shoulders.

Thanks for the article War. It's nice to see that Henry said he would do right by Shany and that he is. I'm sure we will find out what's in his contract at a later date, but something tells me he is going to have to prove his value. It could just be the thing he needs to keep him focused.

mopatt24
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
This was a good move by Henry and I'm glad he'll be here next season, but I think we'll take a RB in the later rounds. We do need a true FB though to help open holes.

This draft is pretty deep in RB, and I think Denver may take one of these backs on day 2 to mold in the ZBS. At least now, we can concentrate on the lines

turftoad
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow...and I thought we would have to put you on suicide watch. :beer:

Me too, meaning there slim chance we draft Stewart now.

lex
02-21-2008, 11:51 AM
This was a good move by Henry and I'm glad he'll be here next season, but I think we'll take a RB in the later rounds. We do need a true FB though to help open holes.

This draft is pretty deep in RB, and I think Denver may take one of these backs on day 2 to mold in the ZBS. At least now, we can concentrate on the lines

I keep seeing people saying this. What makes you so sure this is true? Why is this years draft for RBs deeper than other years? Mayock has already said there's a big drop off after the top 5. Just curious to know why people think this or if theyre mimicing what others are saying.

lex
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Me too, meaning there slim chance we draft Stewart now.

Im not so sure. I mean, Im not saying we'll draft a RB but when you look at it, 2 things are apparent. 1) Its easier to cut Henry now and 2) the same reason exists now as it did before for drafting a RB at 12, which is that thats where the value is.

Again, Im not saying theyre going to draft a RB at 12, but I wouldnt jump to conclusions as far as what this means.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
As much as I'd like Denver to draft a stud in this years draft; I think this helps the team out a ton, financially and just being able to address other needs. If a quality back is there in the fourth round though, I'd still bite.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I think Henry gives us a lot more healthy games this year. He didn't carry the ball much last season so he should be fresh.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
From PFT:

Faced with a looming multi-million-dollar roster bonus like the one that got him cut from the Titans a year ago, Broncos running back Travis Henry has restructured his contract and will play for the team in 2008.

Henry was due to earn a $6 million option bonus on February 29. The Broncos likely would have dumped him if he hadn't altered the deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Henry gave up the option bonus to stay in Denver. It's a small price to pay in light of the unflagging support that Henry got from coach Mike Shanahan during the tailback's 2007 travails with the substance abuse policy.

Schefter also reports that, as of Thursday morning, the Broncos were $16.7 million under the projected salary cap of $116 million, due in part to an agreement by cornerback Dre' Bly to convert the bulk of his 2008 base salary into a guaranteed payment.

turftoad
02-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Im not so sure. I mean, Im not saying we'll draft a RB but when you look at it, 2 things are apparent. 1) Its easier to cut Henry now and 2) the same reason exists now as it did before for drafting a RB at 12, which is that thats where the value is.

Again, Im not saying theyre going to draft a RB at 12, but I wouldnt jump to conclusions as far as what this means.

I think you're over thinking this.

mopatt24
02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I keep seeing people saying this. What makes you so sure this is true? Why is this years draft for RBs deeper than other years? Mayock has already said there's a big drop off after the top 5. Just curious to know why people think this or if theyre mimicing what others are saying.

I'm not saying its deeper then other years, but its deeper then you think.

We can find some talent on day 2

lex
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm not saying its deeper then other years, but its deeper then you think.

We can find some talent on day 2

We can also find talent by not drafting anyone. Yvenson is a prospect that comes to mind. So whats the point of drafting anyone as opposed to using the pick for something else or waiting until next year?

underrated29
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I dont lnow why everyone hates him, he is a good back and will dominate in our system with a little line help and jay having another year under his belt. The defense wont always be teeing off on him like they did last year, essentailly his rookie year!

Travis will be a 1500 plus if healthy. I still wouldnt mind stewart though, to groom for a year or two and then release the hoonds. But for now i see us taking a forte,washington,choice type later on.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
One wonders if this now makes it easier to trade henry..

What evil lurks in the devious mind of mikey??

If so, Boss not all hope is lost on a day one miracle..

Remember it is not called Not For Long for nothing..

lex
02-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I dont lnow why everyone hates him, he is a good back and will dominate in our system with a little line help and jay having another year under his belt. The defense wont always be teeing off on him like they did last year, essentailly his rookie year!

Travis will be a 1500 plus if healthy. I still wouldnt mind stewart though, to groom for a year or two and then release the hoonds. But for now i see us taking a forte,washington,choice type later on.

No, if they take a RB in the 1st, its because they plan on that RB contributing this year.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 12:15 PM
One wonders if this now makes it easier to trade henry..

What evil lurks in the devious mind of mikey??

If so, Boss not all hope is lost on a day one miracle..

Remember it is not called Not For Long for nothing..

The 1st round back hopes are done..... I have a feeling we will reach on a guy at 12... oh well... I didn't like last years 1st round selection either, but we did well with the rest of our draft. Here is to hoping the Broncos find someone willing to trade up to that 12 spot. :beer:

NightTrainLayne
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
From PFT:

Faced with a looming multi-million-dollar roster bonus like the one that got him cut from the Titans a year ago, Broncos running back Travis Henry has restructured his contract and will play for the team in 2008.

Henry was due to earn a $6 million option bonus on February 29. The Broncos likely would have dumped him if he hadn't altered the deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Henry gave up the option bonus to stay in Denver. It's a small price to pay in light of the unflagging support that Henry got from coach Mike Shanahan during the tailback's 2007 travails with the substance abuse policy.

Schefter also reports that, as of Thursday morning, the Broncos were $16.7 million under the projected salary cap of $116 million, due in part to an agreement by cornerback Dre' Bly to convert the bulk of his 2008 base salary into a guaranteed payment.

Now that's interesting. Thanks Boss.

mopatt24
02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
We can also find talent by not drafting anyone. Yvenson is a prospect that comes to mind. So whats the point of drafting anyone as opposed to using the pick for something else or waiting until next year?

If some of that talent goes undrafted, then thats better for us. ( Washington comes to mind ) Thats unlikely to happen though. These are quality Backs and will go in the 4th and 5th rounds.

turftoad
02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
The 1st round back hopes are done..... I have a feeling we will reach on a guy at 12... oh well... I didn't like last years 1st round selection either, but we did well with the rest of our draft. Here is to hoping the Broncos find someone willing to trade up to that 12 spot. :beer:

Boss, I'll get on the "Tashard Choice in the 4th" bandwagon with ya.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I think if we are looking at later round backs we have to take Matt Forte, Tashard Choice and Albert Young

underrated29
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
No, if they take a RB in the 1st, its because they plan on that RB contributing this year.

correct me if i am wrong but did we not take portis in the 2nd and he didnt start for year or two. We took tatum in the 2nd and he didnt see much action until his second year.

We took jay and he didnt see much action, and probably wouldnt have seen any at all the first year if we had any other qb besides jake.

We usually like our guys to marinate in the system and get used to what we want and what they need to do

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
We should draft F****.... alias: He who shall not be named.

roomemp
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
correct me if i am wrong but did we not take portis in the 2nd and he didnt start for year or two. We took tatum in the 2nd and he didnt see much action until his second year.

We took jay and he didnt see much action, and probably wouldnt have seen any at all the first year if we had any other qb besides jake.

We usually like our guys to marinate in the system and get used to what we want and what they need to do

I think Portis was seeing a lot of action right out of the gate.

I think Tatum Bell saw a good amount of touches too

tubby
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I think if we are looking at later round backs we have to take Matt Forte, Tashard Choice and Albert Young

Throw in Amir Pinnix. It think we could get Young or Pinnix in the 7th.

turftoad
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM

It's just stooopid to start a rookie QB. And.......... if you draft a RB with the #12 overall, he'd better start. We're not talking about a second round back here.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I have to change my sig now... no way we draft Stewart in the 1st round now. I'm just glad the Broncos were able to get some money back from Henry... I just wished he could stay healthy because the team is a lot better with a good runningback.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
The "positive vibes" I'm getting in this thread are underwhelming . . . :coffee:

-----

Bronco9798
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
It was obvious they were going to restructure. The entire football world knew Henry owed Shanahan a pay-back for supporting him through the drug deal. Now, we'll see if Henry can stay healthy and actually contribute. If he can, it's a good deal.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Well I will not be all that sad if we do go after a position of need providing he is not projected in the third or fourth round. That is if we are unable to trade back into the draft and get something of value for it..

I could go for OLT, Safety or for the biggest need an huge DT..

Opposed to taking a WR that will take 2-3 years to figure out where the door the head is. IMO we should NEVER draft another WR again.. mikey has blown every one he has DAFTED except Marshall and I think that he totally surprised everyone.. Alot like Darrant drafting him for KR duties than the other two clowns as CBs, only to find out he really could play as a decent CB at 5'7".

Only the last two drafts have been good one for mikey most of the rest of his picks except LB and late round OL nobodies have been worth a damn.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
The "positive vibes" I'm getting in this thread are underwhelming . . . :coffee:

-----

could be because Thenry is less than an overwhelming guy has more baggage than we need at this time in this franchises history..

From reading the original post it almost sounded like mikey was unaware of the 9 kids by 9 different "ladies"..

tubby
02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Henry is going to roll up the league in 2008. :salute:

topscribe
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
could be because Thenry is less than an overwhelming guy has more baggage than we need at this time in this franchises history..

From reading the original post it almost sounded like mikey was unaware of the 9 kids by 9 different "ladies"..

Or maybe Shanny considers it irrelevant to Henry the football player.

Which it is . . .

-----

tubby
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Big Hoss #20

:salute:

Bronco9798
02-21-2008, 02:00 PM

We all hope so. I'll almost bet you though that he gets dinged and banged and misses playing time as usual though.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
there is not that much dooobie paper in Colorado is there?.

tubby
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
We all hope so. I'll almost bet you though that he gets dinged and banged and misses playing time as usual though.

I'll almost bet you he stays healthy. :D

Bronco9798
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll almost bet you he stays healthy. :D

I'll take that bet.

underrated29
who cares about the about the baggage, we all know about him and now its behind him. There is nothing left for the baggage to do or weigh on him.

If anything it should be a motivating factor as he has to fork out the cash to feed his country of children that he has fathered. And he knows this is his last chance to make a paycheck. And his only opportunity to do well and get a big paycheck. If he cant succeed here then no one is going to want to pick him up ever again.

Lonestar
Or maybe Shanny considers it irrelevant to Henry the football player.

Which it is . . .

-----

No Top is is not character counts or should.. lets see who would you rather give a top contract two Rod, d gardner, carter the CB, or Thenry..

who is the value in that group..

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I think Portis was seeing a lot of action right out of the gate.

I think Tatum Bell saw a good amount of touches too

Yup, Portis started after week 5.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM

:lol:

-----

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:06 PM

If they have 7-11's in Colorado, then yes. Funny story.... I was in 7-11 picking up the Slurpee that I get once a year to remind myself of my youth. I go up to the counter and there's two girls no older than sixteen trying to buy rolling papers from the indian at the counter, but he won't sell them. They start yelling at him and then walk out of the store. I love how 7-11 sells rolling papers when about 1% of the smoking population actually rolls their own cigarettes.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
No Top is is not character counts or should.. lets see who would you rather give a top contract two Rod, d gardner, carter the CB, or Thenry..

They're not playing anymore. Henry is.

If Henry breaks the law, that's one thing. His sexual proclivities are another.

Provided he reserves enough energy to tote the rock . . .

-----

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding this statement. Can someone please explain it to me?

tubby
02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll take that bet.

I almost will.

Among the league's top 32 individual rushers, only three started all of their team's games last season. Guess who?

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
who cares about the about the baggage, we all know about him and now its behind him. There is nothing left for the baggage to do or weigh on him.

If anything it should be a motivating factor as he has to fork out the cash to feed his country of children that he has fathered. And he knows this is his last chance to make a paycheck. And his only opportunity to do well and get a big paycheck. If he cant succeed here then no one is going to want to pick him up ever again.

I'll guess unless he has a MALE nanny baby sitting on him until his contract is done, he will indeed screw the pooch AGAIN.. It seems to be in his nature..

One kid out of wedlock is totally different than NINE all by different ladies and I use that term VERY loosely..

Just how many ladies did he have to be with to manage NINE kids, unless they were all fertile at once. Odds are he spread himself around a lot more than just nine ladies.

Moral character counts folks it is a matter of time before he blows this last chance in DEN..

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding this statement. Can someone please explain it to me?

If you have the money to give one player on your squad big money to would it be Rod or the other clowns..

Bronco9798
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I almost will.

Among the league's top 32 individual rushers, only three started all of their team's games last season. Guess who?

Well, it wasn't Henry.

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:15 PM
If you have the money to give one player on your squad big money to would it be Rod or the other clowns..

Safe to assume that the other "clowns" had character issues? Because I love rod as much as the next guy but he hit his wife. So uhh... your point may be moot.

tubby
02-21-2008, 02:15 PM
By Vinnie Iyer - SportingNews
The latest lesson that should have been learned in the ultimate copycat league: You can never have enough lead dogs in your backfield.

For starters, look at the top half-dozen rushing teams from the 2007 season. The Vikings, Jaguars, Steelers, Giants, Titans, Raiders, all by either coach’s choice or injury necessity, needed the contributions of two, three or in New York’s case, four busy backs to rank among the top six.

Among the league’s top 32 individual rushers, only three started all of their team’s games last season. And that trio—Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James and DeShaun Foster each averaged fewer than 4.0 yards per carry. Not surprisingly, two of the backs who averaged more than 4.5 yards per carry were two that stayed fresh and powerful in true committees: Fred Taylor and Marion Barber.

The injury bug was unrelenting as well, biting Deuce McAllister, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Kevin Jones, Brandon Jacobs, Marshawn Lynch and Willie Parker, and then nagging Shaun Alexander, Rudi Johnson, Joseph Addai, Frank Gore, Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, Thomas Jones and the Broncos’ back du jour, among several others.

Whew. I think I named more than half of the feature backs in the league just then. Well, there’s good news for teams looking to inject some younger, fresher legs into their backfield, and not-so good news for journeyman veteran backs with injury issues: There are plenty of capable backs to be had in the 2008 NFL draft—straight from the top to Mr. Irrelevant.

Then there is looking at what’s happened coming out of the past two drafts. Bush provided a spark and played a major part in resurrecting the Saints in his rookie season, and Adrian Peterson turned an already good Vikings rushing attack into something extra special this past season.

Although the draft is all about a foundation for consistent success by stockpiling well at several positions, it’s still pretty sweet to come away with an instant-impact playmaker who can energize both his teammates and just as important for owners investing the money, excite the fan base.

I don’t care what your team’s specific positional needs are; running back should always be on the list. There’s always a durability concern whoever’s carrying the ball. Just imagine if the Giants hadn’t used that seventh-round pick on Ahmad Bradshaw last year—they probably don’t go on that Super Bowl roll.

The ‘08 running back class is peppered with talent, beginning with home-run threats in the early rounds and continuing with versatile change-of-pace types, a la Bradshaw.

Last year, the knock on Peterson was that at 6-1, 217, he ran too upright, thus he would absorb plenty of hits and be constantly banged up. As for Bush, the questions were about his lack of size and if that meant a lack of durability.

Guess what? Running back is a fragile position, regardless if you’re big or small, short or tall. You tend to get banged up and be in injury peril when there are massive linemen and missile-like linebackers flying at you to stop your progress.

So what you see is what you get out of running backs, and to get the most out of them, it makes sense to have multiple options. It’s just as amazing as how much longer shoes last when you alternate from pair to pair everyday.

Let’s start with Round 1. Arkansas’ Darren McFadden looks ready to grab the baton from Peterson, but Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall, Rutgers’ Ray Rice, Oregon’s Jonathan Stewart and McFadden’s Razorbacks teammate Felix Jones also have produced plenty of highlight-reel runs of their own. With that type of talent on display Sunday in Indianapolis, the Combine will quickly turn into a candy store.

That first tier of runners is so good, it pushes Central Florida’s Kevin Smith, who rushed for a ridiculous 2,678 yards and 29 TDs in his final college season as a junior, into Round 2. That’s if you want a solid all-around back—East Carolina’s Chris Johnson and Texas’ Jamaal Charles provide more pure speed and explosiveness.

Michigan’s Mike Hart has been downgraded because of size, but he does have a lot of what his last name might indicate as a tough, four-year college starter. Both Hart and Georgia Tech’s Tashard Choice would be fine options for teams who love to get their backs involved in the short passing game.

The back I like as an absolute steal on Day 2 is Tulane’s Matt Forte. He was a durable yardage machine with his breakout ‘07 for the Green Wave, and was particularly impressive against Glenn Dorsey and the LSU’s stout front. Of all the backs in this class, he has the best chance of starring as a runner/receiver who consistently gets up to 25 touches a game.

It’s also hard to imagine that some team can’t use West Virginia speedster Steve Slaton to spark their offense. I can just see him making some third-down defenses look silly with his open-field quickness.

As for some sneaky, compact power backs a bit later, there are Missouri’s Tony Temple, USC’s Chauncey Washington and Michigan State’s Jehuu Caulcrick.

All 15 of those rookie-to-be backs have their own ways to contribute right away, and they, among the others in their fine class, need to be considered that way. What used to be one-dimensional backup role players are now players who can change games with just a few plays. And with close to 20 getting drafted, a good chunk of the league has a chance to draft another dimension into the backfield.

Think about Bradshaw. Think about the Chargers’ Darren Sproles. Think about Barber from his first two seasons.

Those of us who have drafted several fantasy football teams over the years have known this for a long time, but it’s become an NFL reality, too: When in doubt, go running back, and you can’t go wrong.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I'll guess unless he has a MALE nanny baby sitting him until his contract is done he will indeed screw the pooch AGAIN.. It seems to be in his nature..

One kid out of wedlock is totally different than NINE all by different ladies and I use that term VERY loosely..

Just how many ladies did he have to be with to manage NINE kids, unless they were all fertile at once. Odds are he spread himself around a lot more than just nine ladies.

Moral character counts folks it is a matter of time before he blows this last chance in DEN..

You've never heard of repentance, JR?

We don't know what changes have taken place in Henry's life and mind.

It is only right to give him the benefit of the doubt, according to his most recent statements.

IMHO.

-----

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Safe to assume that the other "clowns" had character issues? Because I love rod as much as the next guy but he hit his wife. So uhh... your point may be moot.

Well once it is not a huge an issue, NINE times it is.. plus doobie time God only knows how much of that happened..

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Well once it is not a huge an issue, NINE times it is.. plus doobie time God only knows how much of that happened..

IDK, maybe its my moral values, but I think hitting your wife is a good deal more unacceptable than having a ludicrous amount of children. While I don't approve of how many illegitimate children Henry has, it's not my place to tell him that he can't have them as long as he pays his due.

BOSSHOGG30
Henry has been in the league for 7 seasons..... Of those 7 seasons... he has only played 16 games once. He will be 30 years old and his past few seasons have been his least durable seasons.... Sorry Tubby... doesn't look good for you.

atwater27
I'm not real happy with Henry right now after all the crap he put the team thru last year. But in a way this might be good, cause like you said maybe we'll focus on O-Line. All of the great teams have great o-lines. It's time for us to refocus on OL. We should take a hard long look at some of these stud Tackles coming out.

don't let bosshogg know there is more than 1 stud tackle

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Henry has been in the league for 7 seasons..... Of those 7 seasons... he has only played 16 games once. He will be 30 years old and his past few seasons have been his least durable seasons.... Sorry Tubby... doesn't look good for you.

Btw Boss, I'll take your draft as long as you change Woodyard to Steltz. I'm not a huge fan of position changes... especially from linebacker to safety.

EDIT: and props on the Zuttah pick. Thats random as hell, but a good one imho.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
You've never heard of repentance, JR?

We don't know what changes have taken place in Henry's life and mind.

It is only right to give him the benefit of the doubt, according to his most recent statements.

IMHO.

-----

Well I guess I missed those while I was in church..

I hope the clown can indeed turn his life around and be the man God gave the skills to be..

I suspect though it is in his nature to be a sleaze ball.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
don't let bosshogg know there is more than 1 stud tackle

Boss doesn't care how many tackles there are.

He wants Stewart. :laugh:

-----

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Btw Boss, I'll take your draft as long as you change Woodyard to Steltz. I'm not a huge fan of position changes... especially from linebacker to safety.

EDIT: and props on the Zuttah pick. Thats random as hell, but a good one imho.

Actually Woodyard was a safety switch to linebacker

Bronco9798
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Boss don't want a salary cap. Then he can make his own team up.

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM

OOH! LIKE MADDEN!

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Who do I want that will cost us... I must be unaware of the high priced guys i've listed somewhere.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Zuttah hopped on the Zuttah bandwagon I've been driving since the season began. :lol: :beer:

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Zuttah hopped on the Zuttah bandwagon I've been driving since the season began. :lol: :beer:

<------ Rutgers Fan. Talk to me when you've been following him his whole career YAHA!

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
IDK, maybe its my moral values, but I think hitting your wife is a good deal more unacceptable than having a ludicrous amount of children. While I don't approve of how many illegitimate children Henry has, it's not my place to tell him that he can't have them as long as he pays his due.

Your telling me that you have never raised your voice to your wife or kids, for that matter laid hands on them?

Things happen and if is consistent then indeed there is a problem UP stairs..

A one time grab of the wrist to calm a spouse down is one thing.. Not saying that is what he did as I do not know and actually I thought it was girlfriend at the time..

I do not condone beating or for that matter hitting a woman, but it has happened and will happen again.

Still not as moral reprehensible as proudly fathering that many kids.. Regardless if he can afford them or not..

I'll take Rod any day as a leader compared to pond scum..

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Your telling me that you have never raised your voice to your wife or kids, for that matter laid hands on them?

A one time grab of the wrist to calm a spouse down is one thing.. Not saying that is what he did as I do not know and actually I thought it was girlfriend at the time..

I do not condone beating or for that matter hitting a woman, but it has happened and will happen again.

Still not as moral reprehensible as proudly fathering that many kids.. Regardless if he can afford them or not..

It's not as if he has 700 wives and 300 concubines . . .

-----

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Well no shit, but my point is that Rod has had some character concerns in the past two. And for the reference, disciplining your kids doesn't fall under the category of abusing them. And there's a large difference between restraining your wife to calm her and hitting her. If you consider them the same thing, then you have some moral issues yourself. And for the reference, no, I have never touched a female in an aggressive manner, and never intend to. If i've gotten angry enough to desire to strike, it has been a steering wheel, door, wall, or similar object. That has only happened two times in my life, one time where she wasn't even there, and that one was a door. The other one was in a car and that was the interior of the car door. I don't know... is it just me, or does hitting your wife seem MORE morally reprehensible than fathering illegitimate children and paying the proper child support? If you're doing your best to be a good father in a bad situation like that, I don't see how that is even near as bad as striking a woman.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/sickpicsnfl/GYI0050808713100801_1024x768.jpg

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
It's not as if he has 700 wives and 300 concubines . . .

-----

but how many girls has he been with.. for that many kids I dare say it was more than nine..

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
but how many girls has he been with.. for that many kids I dare say it was more than nine..

JR, of all the unmarried members of the Broncos, how many would you guess are virgins?

-----

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM

Oh, and like the only girl you ever popped was your wife.... and you work a regular job. How about if you were an NFL player and girls were throwing their panties at you in the streets. Or a musician, or any other glamorous profession. Sue the guy for having sex and being an idiot at the same time.

Zweems56
02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
JR, of all the unmarried members of the Broncos, how many would you guess are virgins?

-----

lmao. Thank you. Or for that matter, how many unmarried FANS of the broncos, or unmarried teenagers, or unmarried soldiers.... you gotta be kiddin me with that shiite.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Well no shit, but my point is that Rod has had some character concerns in the past two. And for the reference, disciplining your kids doesn't fall under the category of abusing them. And there's a large difference between restraining your wife to calm her and hitting her. If you consider them the same thing, then you have some moral issues yourself. And for the reference, no, I have never touched a female in an aggressive manner, and never intend to. If i've gotten angry enough to desire to strike, it has been a steering wheel, door, wall, or similar object. That has only happened two times in my life, one time where she wasn't even there, and that one was a door. The other one was in a car and that was the interior of the car door. I don't know... is it just me, or does hitting your wife seem MORE morally reprehensible than fathering illegitimate children and paying the proper child support? If you're doing your best to be a good father in a bad situation like that, I don't see how that is even near as bad as striking a woman.

Again we really do not know for sure what happened with Rod do we. Neither of us were there nor to my knowledge was the court report published..

We do however know for sure that henry had carnal relations with at least 9 women who were not his wife. I would also guess that not all of these dalliances were prim an proper so perhaps he was laying hands on some of them also. That is all pure conjecture.. just something to think about..

I have had to restrain a woman (as lady really does not apply) in my past and I would have been a "spouse abuse" victim had I not.. But in todays society I would have been the one in jail..

While I do not condone hitting a lady I can easily see how it could happen I have been in a defensive mode more than once in my "friendships"..

Lets see what is the old term "Hell hath no fury"!!

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM

-----

I'd say mikey, but there is a son.. Although Might have been henrys.. ;)

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Last season I was full of negativity towards Travis Henry... this year I will be positive. I will try the Tubby approach. Good things will happen if we think positive thoughts.

HolyDiver
02-21-2008, 02:51 PM

-----

I would guess 6 ............... Can we have a show of hands?

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I would guess 6 ............... Can we have a show of hands?

My, you are an optimistic one, aren't you? :laugh:

-----

topscribe
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I'd say mikey, but there is a son.. Although Might have been henrys.. ;)

:lol:

----

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, and like the only girl you ever popped was your wife.... and you work a regular job. How about if you were an NFL player and girls were throwing their panties at you in the streets. Or a musician, or any other glamorous profession. Sue the guy for having sex and being an idiot at the same time.

Actually before I came to Christ, there were more than I should have been with..

Since my last marriage now going on 27 plus years of being with her. ZIP

I do understand lust and what these guys are subject to. But few have this many kids..

This clown IMO is a predator notching girls on his gun handle, for lack of a better term....

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/sickpicsnfl/COJD108080815_1024x768.jpg

tubby
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
War Travis Henry running roughshod over the league in 2008.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/sickpicsnfl/COJD108080815_1024x768.jpg

bandwidth exceeded again

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
bandwidth exceeded again

I can't help it if Travis Henry's and D.J. Williams muscles are so big.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
lmao. Thank you. Or for that matter, how many unmarried FANS of the broncos, or unmarried teenagers, or unmarried soldiers.... you gotta be kiddin me with that shiite.

Wow, we're just one big, macrocosmic orgy, aren't we? :eek:

-----

G_Money
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Well this "solves" our problem of getting a starter for this year.

I'd still draft Choice or Forte in the 4th or 5th round if either is available, and start grooming him to take over the role in 2 years.

The Broncos, OTOH, will get the Missouri kid Tony Temple as a UDFA. Which could be fun in and of itself, I guess - he got passed over for the Combine and doesn't even get a chance to make an impression, so he's gonna run like he hates people for whatever team picks him up.

~G

topscribe
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't help it if Travis Henry's and D.J. Williams muscles are so big.

I guess you'll have to pair one of them with Elam . . .

-----

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I guess you'll have to pair one of them with Elam . . .

-----

Probably doesn't help that Cutler's in the picture as well, one of the strongest QB's in the league.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Henry is going to roll up his ankle in 2008. :salute:

fixed that for ya. . . .

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Henry will run for 1,654 yards next year.

Mark it down.

tubby
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Mark it down.

15 touchdowns minimum.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Mark it down.

15 touchdowns minimum.

pass the smoke around

Nomad
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't see Henry being anymore improved next season. Maybe he'll surprise me.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Our offensive line was injuried all to hell... plus a lot of our young guys were called into action and do to this they received much needed experience. The O-line should be greatly improved this year. Henry was doing very well till he was hurt and the O-line went to shambles. Look for the O-line to improve and Henry to stay healthy. I expect good things this year!

lex
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM

I'd still draft Choice or Forte in the 4th or 5th round if either is available, and start grooming him to take over the role in 2 years.

The Broncos, OTOH, will get the Missouri kid Tony Temple as a UDFA. Which could be fun in and of itself, I guess - he got passed over for the Combine and doesn't even get a chance to make an impression, so he's gonna run like he hates people for whatever team picks him up.

~G

I wouldnt. Let him comb his own hair.

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Our offensive line was injured all to hell... plus a lot of our young guys were called into action and do to this they received much needed experience. The O-line should be greatly improved this year. Henry was doing very well till he was hurt and the O-line went to shambles. Look for the O-line to improve and Henry to stay healthy. I expect good things this year!

Your sounding like Top ,,

Thenry had a good four games against lousy defenses then was only heard from by his lawyers the rest of the year..

Will the OLINE be better this coming year it certainly can 't get much worse..

They were indeed banged up off of position for the most part and had to wear name tags so the guy next to him knew his name..

But we no longer have Gibbs, Nalen is a shadow of himself and Hamilton is doubtful IMO of getting back into the saddle..

We had ONE guy on the OLINE last year worth a crap and that was Holland and I heard very few standing ovations about his play..

Unless their is some major infusion of talent and weight in this OLINE and we get Gibbs back I do not share your unbridled joy..

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Your sounding like Top ,,

Thenry had a good four games against lousy defenses then was only heard from by his lawyers the rest of the year..

Will the OLINE be better this coming year it certainly can 't get much worse..

They were indeed banged up off of position for the most part and had to wear name tags so the guy next to him knew his name..

But we no longer have Gibbs, Nalen is a shadow of himself and Hamilton is doubtful IMO of getting back into the saddle..

We had ONE guy on the OLINE last year worth a crap and that was Holland and I heard very few standing ovations about his play..

Unless their is some major infusion of talent and weight in this OLINE and we get Gibbs back I do not share your unbridled joy..

I'm trying very hard to stay positive here... you not helping Jrwiz ;)

Slick
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM

~G

I could see that happening G. I'd rather see them go the UDFA route, then set sights on a guy like Davis from Clemson or another back in next years draft.

How could we go wrong with a tough, powerful RB with a last name like that.:D

topscribe
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM

~G

Well, the bad news is that some are now projecting both Clady and Long for
the top ten. The possibility exists that Stewart and/or Mendenhall still may
be the best athlete on the board and one of them end up on the Orange &
Blue. That may create a logjam, such as that at Tennessee, but that is a
better problem than having the injury situation the Broncos had there last
year.

Stranger stuff has happened . . .

-----

dogfish
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, the bad news is that some are now projecting both Clady and Long for
the top ten. The possibility exists that Stewart and/or Mendenhall still may
be the best athlete on the board and one of them end up on the Orange &
Blue. That may create a logjam, such as that at Tennessee, but that is a
better problem than having the injury situation the Broncos had there last
year.

Stranger stuff has happened . . .

-----

more likely, stewart and mendenhall are the best values on the board, and we end up taking desean jackson or keith rivers. . . . :tsk:

Lonestar
02-21-2008, 04:20 PM

The more I think about him coming back the more I think it is another 7-9 season at best..

Unless they get smart and get some top notch talent at OT and we all know that is not going to happen after foster..

mikey is real gun shy after that debacle..

GEM
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Yea....if he were paying for them. He had to have a court order him to pay for them. He hadn't seen some of the children in a long amount of time and hadn't paid for them? Tell me how that is being a good father?

topscribe
02-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Tell me how any of this has to do with Henry's contract and playing football. :noidea:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think Jackson or Rivers are bad at #12. They give you explosive players who can contribute from Day One. Some people just have their minds so set on one way or the other, it just looks bad. Those guys are top fifteen players; and are players at need positions. Jackson probably isn't a #2 receiver right away, but he can be explosive in a sub package and return kicks well. As the season went on Ginn, Jr. started doing better; and I'd say DeSean is a little better of a receiver. A pick like DeSean probably isn't going to please people, but he can make our special teams explosive and help our offense as well. He's the kind of player (along with Rivers) that the Broncos would enjoy having.

Going along with Henry; I agree with those who believe we should still look for a mid-round back. If Henry can't prove it this year; he's probably gone next year - or at least I'd assume. This is just putting a bandage on a pipe that's about ready to burst anyways. I hope Henry can do well, but I still long for the days of a franchise back. . .

GEM
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Tell me how any of this has to do with Henry's contract and playing football. :noidea:

-----

Because his actions off the field had something to do with that contract being cut. If he had stayed healthy and more importantly, not had the personal issues, he'd be sitting fat right now.

A man's character defines who he is and the actions he takes.....ON and off the field.

GEM
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't think Jackson or Rivers are bad at #12. They give you explosive players who can contribute from Day One. Some people just have their minds so set on one way or the other, it just looks bad. Those guys are top fifteen players; and are players at need positions. Jackson probably isn't a #2 receiver right away, but he can be explosive in a sub package and return kicks well. As the season went on Ginn, Jr. started doing better; and I'd say DeSean is a little better of a receiver. A pick like DeSean probably isn't going to please people, but he can make our special teams explosive and help our offense as well. He's the kind of player (along with Rivers) that the Broncos would enjoy having.

Going along with Henry; I agree with those who believe we should still look for a mid-round back. If Henry can't prove it this year; he's probably gone next year - or at least I'd assume. This is just putting a bandage on a pipe that's about ready to burst anyways. I hope Henry can do well, but I still long for the days of a franchise back. . .

Definately agree there. I don't think the 1st rounder should be used for it, but definately later on in the later rounds if there is a good back left, it's definately worth looking at. I think we're all ok with the fact that Henry fits the role...FOR NOW. He's definately not the future. Kind of stinks that he's left on the team, as I'm hoping we don't have to pick at #12 again anytime soon and as dog said....there may be some good backs left on the table and shanny could go into left field with a bust. UGH!

Medford Bronco
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry but I am not encourgaed by this.

Henry is a pothead scumbag with his illegitmate kids everwhere. :mad:

I hope Selvin Young gets better and wins the job. I would rather see him playing and hopefully he can.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Because his actions off the field had something to do with that contract being cut. If he had stayed healthy and more importantly, not had the personal issues, he'd be sitting fat right now.

A man's character defines who he is and the actions he takes.....ON and off the field.

Nah, I don't think a bunch of kids had anything to do with it, by itself. It's the
totality of the whole situation . . . piss tests, injuries, you know, distractions
. . . plus the fact they were paying Henry as if he were the second coming of
Jim Brown. I think they would have realized their mistake, even had he not
had all those problems and distractions . . . although there could be little
they could do about it then. All this only provided the excuse for restructuring.

The kids weren't the sore; they only were rubbing the sore.

But it still has nothing to do with how he may or may not produce on the field.

-----

G_Money
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Yeah, don't harsh Boss's buzz. :D

He's trying to have a positive 5 months to training camp.

Watching him grit his teeth and force a smile during FA will be half the fun. :beer:

Besides, if it goes wrong at RB this year it's not like most of us will have to say, "I didn't see that coming." And if it goes right...well then many of us will be perfectly happy to take that crow and eat it up right.

No need to harp on it for half a year. We'll get every game to yell about it - either way - come September.

We now know our 2008 RB combo is Henry and Young with a dash of Hall. Next up, FB, followed by OT, WR, LB, DT, and S.

Let's fill in all the blanks before we spit fire and brimstone. Besides, Henry saving us some dough with a restructured deal might come in handy in the FA market. Who knows? :confused:

~G

GEM
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Nah, I don't think a bunch of kids had anything to do with it, by itself. It's the
totality of the whole situation . . . piss tests, injuries, you know, distractions
. . . plus the fact they were paying Henry as if he were the second coming of
Jim Brown. I think they would have realized their mistake, even had he not
had all those problems and distractions . . . although there could be little
they could do about it then. All this only provided the excuse for restructuring.

The kids weren't the sore; they only were rubbing the sore.

But it still has nothing to do with how he may or may not produce on the field.

-----

Not just the kids Top. The drug issue. He was warned before he ever signed that contract. He's lucky he wasn't on his butt when that happened.

The drug issue definately has something to do with the way he produces on the field. He has the risk of being suspended at any time. Let's not forget that even though it turned out ok....it did put him on that list for another year (he was supposed to be done with it in October), so yea it has an ishload to do with him producing on the field.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Not only do I agree with GEM and her assesment on the outside factors impacting Henry's ability to do well; I also think it impacted the team as well. Not only were the coaches in a sense let down, but as a player I'd be pretty let down to after the guy vowed to clean up his act and essentially didn't. That stuff just wears down on a team. Just look at the Bengals during their year of criminal misconduct and triviality.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Not just the kids Top. The drug issue. He was warned before he ever signed that contract. He's lucky he wasn't on his butt when that happened.

The drug issue definately has something to do with the way he produces on the field. He has the risk of being suspended at any time. Let's not forget that even though it turned out ok....it did put him on that list for another year (he was supposed to be done with it in October), so yea it has an ishload to do with him producing on the field.

Well, I like that he apparently has owned up to his accountability for last year
and publicly has announced his intention to atone for it this year. I also like it
that he has quickly agreed to restructuring, or so it seems. I haven't seen
too much of that from some of the other problem cases the Broncos have
had here.

In short, I like what I see of his apparent attitude this year. And it all
begins with that. Today is the very first day of the rest of his life. Let's see
what he does with it.

Let me put it this way: If I deserved another chance, he sure as hell does.

-----

mclark
02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
No runningback in round one. Ok. Let's focus oon re-building both trenches.

I agree we'll be looking at a back either in free agency or on Draft Day Two.

Chauncey Washington as a free agent?

Hoshdude7
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I bet you he is/going to do drugs and gets suspended in 08'
Cannot wait for all this again :laugh:

GEM
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, I like that he apparently has owned up to his accountability for last year
and publicly has announced his intention to atone for it this year. I also like it
that he has quickly agreed to restructuring, or so it seems. I haven't seen
too much of that from some of the other problem cases the Broncos have
had here.

In short, I like what I see of his apparent attitude this year. And it all
begins with that. Today is the very first day of the rest of his life. Let's see
what he does with it.

Let me put it this way: If I deserved another chance, he sure as hell does.

-----

I see where you are coming from Top, I just worry about him being able to stay within the rules and stay out of trouble. Hell I have needed a 2nd chance in life....it's what you do with that 2nd chance that defines you. Guess we'll learn a lot about him in the upcoming season.....I'm not getting my hopes up too high though.

topscribe
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I see where you are coming from Top, I just worry about him being able to stay within the rules and stay out of trouble. Hell I have needed a 2nd chance in life....it's what you do with that 2nd chance that defines you. Guess we'll learn a lot about him in the upcoming season.....I'm not getting my hopes up too high though.

We all have our fingers crossed, dear lady. :smile:

-----

dogfish
02-21-2008, 05:36 PM

there could be worse picks than rivers, but taking a special teams player who will probably never start with the 12th pick is a bad ******* joke. . . . but you're correct, denver probably would love to pick him-- if only he had some injury concerns, it would be a done deal! grab a good LB in the 2nd round, "address" the O- and D-lines with a few 2nd day projects, and call it an offseason. . . we can come out of it with a grand total of one quality new starter. . . .

sorry, my faith in shanahan is approaching record lows after hearing that he's sniffing around dan morgan. . . .

pnbronco
02-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I think that Henry was the straw that broke the camels back in a super tough year. I remember when I heard about his suspension I was so angry at him. I just wanted him out of Denver. With time though I realized I was just frustrated with everything that had happened. I missed Darrent, Nash, Wilson, Brandon and Jake (no flames please). Rod and Hamilton were not getting better, Walker got hurt and the team was really struggling.

The fact that Henry restructured and did it early gives me hope. I'm hoping he has realized that he made some bad choices and will change the things he can. I never heard any of the other players bad mouth him so if the front office is willing to give him another chance and so are his team mates then I will too. My hope is that they have an FB and O-line that helps him and protect Jay.

Medford Bronco
02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
there could be worse picks than rivers, but taking a special teams player who will probably never start with the 12th pick is a bad ******* joke. . . . but you're correct, denver probably would love to pick him-- if only he had some injury concerns, it would be a done deal! grab a good LB in the 2nd round, "address" the O- and D-lines with a few 2nd day projects, and call it an offseason. . . we can come out of it with a grand total of one quality new starter. . . .

sorry, my faith in shanahan is approaching record lows after hearing that he's sniffing around dan morgan. . . .

You mean like ted Ginn :laugh: :lol:

btw your assessment is spot on Dogfish :salute:

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 09:25 PM

I see it a little differently.. why did Zach say no thanks to Denver? Because they were probably looking for a back-up....same with Dan Morgan.. Part time players, nothing more nothing less..

dogfish
02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I see it a little differently.. why did Zach say no thanks to Denver? Because they were probably looking for a back-up....same with Dan Morgan.. Part time players, nothing more nothing less..

i think thomas' rejection has more to do with the fact that he has publicly stated that he wants to play for a winner. . . . :sad:

nevcraw
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
i think thomas' rejection has more to do with the fact that he has publicly stated that he wants to play for a winner. . . . :sad:

Could be.. or maybe he doesn't want to play for a team that got rid of his boy Bates..
I bet every team sniffs around almost all cut players who were decent just doesn't always hit the news. Roesenhaus may have also been trying to generate some news for one of his guys.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Could be.. or maybe he doesn't want to play for a team that got rid of his boy Bates..
I bet every team sniffs around almost all cut players who were decent just doesn't always hit the news. Roesenhaus may have also been trying to generate some news for one of his guys.

all valid points. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm pleased with this. I really hope he can stay on the field, cuz if he can he's a stud. It is a question mark though. Our offseason "needs" are clearing up though...especially if Ekuban re-signs.

Stargazer
02-22-2008, 01:24 AM
I think out of all players I propose Denver dump, I had a feeling Henry would be coming back.

OB
02-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Basturd kids aside - if he gives us all out and stays healthy i think he can be a positive attribute to this team - his CS and kid issues have nothing to do with him as a football player

My biggest point being - Jay and younger crew need to gel - they cant do that if we keep getting different guys all the time -

As far as the MJ goes - for gods sake people - its weed - its not an enhancement performance drug - i mean yes its illegal - but its seriously not the worst offese - or am i being biased :D

#1bmarshfan
02-22-2008, 02:04 AM
i was sad when i heard it on the radio

JONtheBRONCO
02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
I wanted Jonathan Stewart, or Jamaal Charles just as much as the next guy... Obviously, the man hasn't learned from his past mistakes, and it makes me question the Broncos decision on keeping him around. But orangeblue420 made a good point about the team coming together and creating some sort of chemistry or bond. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble, which he hasn't been able to do for the majority of his career, but the guy did lead the league in the first quarter of the season.

I'm going to try and stay positive about this... No more injuries or blunts big guy. Let's see what he can do with a second chance (from the Broncos at least).

OB
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Seriously - i hope he doesnt f this up - as much as i love my green i would give it up in a heart beat to earn just the NFL rookie min salary - id just wait 10 years - retire rich and make a kick ass hyrdo unit in a secret room under my basement and be happy for the rest of my life :D

sneakers
11-10-2010, 01:42 AM
If Clay can bump old threads, why can't I?

Shazam!
11-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Sigh.

Apollo
11-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Noooo...did we really need to be reminded of this idiot? :(

Ravage!!!
11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
am I missing something? Whats the point of this thread being bumped?? :confused:

BroncoBJ
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Ownage

Broncolingus
11-10-2010, 10:25 PM
http://adoptavillageinc.com/images/pics/group-children.jpg

http://blog.bioethics.net/joint.jpg

broncobryce
11-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Do you really wanna lower yourself to Clay level? ;)

underrated29
11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I almost had a fugging heart attack. Been out of town for two weeks.. Get back today and stop in to see what ive missed and this thread is staring me in the face.

Not cool sneak. Not cool.

broncobryce
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I almost had a fugging heart attack. Been out of town for two weeks.. Get back today and stop in to see what ive missed and this thread is staring me in the face.

Not cool sneak. Not cool.

If you really bought it you deserve the heart attack!

sneakers
11-11-2010, 12:45 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:2_6wF89O2w9-qM:http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/4c74dd91_2656_3c3e.jpg&t=1

dogfish
11-11-2010, 01:04 AM

i'll take "because it's ****ing annoying" for five-hundred, alex. . . .

:welcome:

dogfish
11-11-2010, 01:05 AM
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2918/umadalien.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/umadalien.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

sneakers
11-11-2010, 01:32 AM
http://gallery.e-basil.co.uk/albums/userpics/HeMadLando.jpg