PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Only Re-Sign One: Dumervil or Marshall??

getlynched47
01-03-2010, 12:10 AM
So after listening to Sandy Clough on the radio, I started to wonder: Who would I re-sign if I could only chose one of these guys?

Let me make it clear that I want Marshall, Dumervil, and Kuper to be re-signed, just so my opinion doesn't come off biased.

But let's say that we aren't able to re-sign both of them. Chances are, both will want contracts that will put them in the top ten (maybe even the top five) at their respective positions in terms of the size of their contracts.

I would probably go with Elvis Dumervil for a few reasons: 1) He comes with no history of off-field issues. 2) He doesn't seem to have attitude problems. 3) He could potentially get even better while he progresses in a 3-4 scheme.

My biggest reason I would chose Elvis Dumervil is because I find sacks to be more valuable than catches and yards. When a single player produces 3 to 4 sacks in a game, the chances are that the defense is playing very well and the sacks are helping the team win.

When a single player posts up 21 catches and 200 yards, it doesn't make much of a difference because our offense still hasn't been great and those great stats didn't generate a win for us in Indianapolis. In my view, sacks correlate with NFL wins more so than receptions/receiving yards. But that's just me.

I don't know the stats off the top of my head when it comes to wins in the NFL and sacks.

I can definitely admit that Brandon Marshall is a much much much better player at his position than Elvis Dumervil. Much much better. But I would not re-sign him over Elvis Dumervil if I had to chose.

With recent events unfolding, I think it's safe to assume that Josh McDaniels will be here longer than Brandon Marshall, so if they do ahead and trade him I hope we can get at least a 1st round pick for him.

I really hope it doesn't come down to choosing between one of those two guys this offseason. That would be brutal :(

So go ahead and vote, and please feel free to give your reasons for your choice in this thread. I think this could open up a nice debate. :salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I understand that pass rushers are a premium but I'd keep Marshall only because Elvis is such a situational player at best right now. Can't I get rid of all the ex-patriots on the roster and keep both?

ikillz0mbies
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Nice post.

I mentioned this in the other thread, personally I would rather have Brandon Marshall re-signed. His talent is extremely hard to come by and he is a definite play maker. It's his personality that makes it really hard to bring him back. The guy is big and what I love about him is his ability to break tackles to gain extra yardage. That is hard to find in this league. I would love for him to be a long time Broncos, but with the recent events that have unfolded this past week, he probably will be good as gone. Get the best offer possible if he is going to be traded.

As for Dumervil, I love what he has done for this defense ever since he was a rookie. Playing in a 3-4 scheme, he has played fairly well. Like you said, he can progressively get better in this 3-4 scheme and could be one of the very best LB's in the league. But the reason why I wouldn't re-sign Dumervil over Marshall is because I feel that a QB-hungry LB isn't as hard to come by compared to Marshall's abilities.

Just to make it clear on my pick, I'd rather re-sign Marshall.

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2010, 12:25 AM
I started a thread on this exact topic back at the start of the season. My opinion then, and now is that if I HAVE to choose, I'd take Dumervil, but I too would like to figure out a way for both to stay. .. .at this point looks like Marshall will be out of the equation anyways.

underrated29
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Id take Doom.

1- With brandon we can get a 1st and 3rd and maybe more.

2- Doom is situational and sucks against the run, less value in trading.

3- teams try their best to get a 15+ sack machine-very rare.

4- WR are easier to find. Esp. kinds like marshall- been saying since Boss and I had a discussion (he actually pointed them out) that chaz schillenz and peirre garcon would be studs. They are marshall clones- both went 6th or 7th rds.

5-IMO until we get a better QB in here it wont matter what WR we have, so lets not hurt the defense as well.

topscribe
01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Id take Doom.

1- With brandon we can get a 1st and 3rd and maybe more.

2- Doom is situational and sucks against the run, less value in trading.

3- teams try their best to get a 15+ sack machine-very rare.

4- WR are easier to find. Esp. kinds like marshall- been saying since Boss and I had a discussion (he actually pointed them out) that chaz schillenz and peirre garcon would be studs. They are marshall clones- both went 6th or 7th rds.

5-IMO until we get a better QB in here it wont matter what WR we have, so lets not hurt the defense as well.

Actually, Doom has improved immensely against the run as a linebacker.

But it would be best to keep that quiet . . . :listen:

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Actually, Doom has improved immensely against the run as a linebacker.

But it would be best to keep that quiet . . . :listen:

-----

I don't think it's going to matter, top. 16 sacks is 16 sacks. Somebody is going to give the guy a lot of money.

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Well, setting aside the fact that he is almost certainly not going to be resigned. If the recent history didn't happen, then it's a no brainer, you resign Marshall, even if it means losing Doom.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we keep Doom for many years to come, but if we had to keep only one, it would be Marshall. The Broncos have searched for 25+ years for a WR like Marshall, and they are likely to search another 25 years for a true difference maker at that position.

A team can get sacks from the scheme, they can't get dominant WR play from the scheme.

Shazam!
01-03-2010, 02:12 AM
The Broncos have been devoid of excellent front 7 guys for years. Doom must stay, and if he doesnt and is allowed to walk I'll be really pissed.

JONtheBRONCO
01-03-2010, 08:01 AM
The Broncos have been looking for a consistent pass rusher for years now and Doom is coming along quite well so far in the 3-4. I'd have to disagree that he is a situational pass rusher who can't stop the run. He has a league leading 17 sacks (thats off the top of my head, I think he has 17) and isn't wandering off anymore during the run, in fact he has played the run pretty well this year.

He even said himself he is still learning the position after converting from a defensive end in a 4-3 and this is coming from a guy who already has 17 sacks in his first year at a new position. Whos to say this guy doesn't get even better. On the other hand, Elvis does dissapear every now and then.

It's a hard choice, because I really like what Marshall has done for the Broncos and he is without a doubt a one of a kind player. His size and speed combination and what he does after the catch is pretty fun to watch as a fan. With that said, same old Brandon, same old drama. Seems to me Doom is more of a team guy, and I like that.

EMB6903
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Marshall has had 3 straight 100+ reception 1000 yard yrs in his first 4...where was dumervil last year?

I like dumervil a lot and I know he's an elite pass rusher in this league but hes still a liability against the run. I'd have to go with Marshall on this one. I don't see denver losing either anytime soon though.

Dean
01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Marshall has had 3 straight 100+ reception 1000 yard yrs in his first 4...where was dumervil last year?

I like dumervil a lot and I know he's an elite pass rusher in this league but hes still a liability against the run. I'd have to go with Marshall on this one. I don't see denver losing either anytime soon though.

Do you honestly believe B-Marsh would come back after this weeks events? IMO he is long gone.

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Doomer, no question.

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Do you honestly believe B-Marsh would come back after this weeks events? IMO he is long gone.

I can guarantee you Marshall will be gone after this season. Bank on it.

Skinny
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I chose Marshall because i think it would be easier to replace Doom. Pass rushing OLBs are about a dime a dozen these days.

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Doomer, no question.

"No question" only because of the problems the team has with him. Based on what they do on the field, it is Marshall hands down.

LordTrychon
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
/thread.

:laugh:

Northman
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
"No question" only because of the problems the team has with him. Based on what they do on the field, it is Marshall hands down.

Doom has played exceptional all year. Gimme a break.

weazel
01-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Dumervil, no question.