PDA

View Full Version : Dissing Coach Mike

crazykiddz
01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't have an issue with the benching of Brandon Marshall. He's not a player who was destined to be with the Broncos longterm anyway. Brandon was bit by the Cutler cancer and he's still infected. That said, I don't believe Brandon would have stated that his hamstring hurt if it didn't hurt. He is one of the toughest WR in the NFL, he just doesn't like his coach. Instead of handling the situation like a professional, he's reacting like an NFL infant. When he does mature, he'll end up as one of the best WR in NFL history.

My issue with McDaniels is his lack of respect. He's arrogant and seems to lack appreciation for the history of the Broncos organization and how much a coach like Shanahan means to Denver fans and the Broncos organization. His comment in his interview the other day stating that Brandon's behavior around the injury may have been acceptable in the past was a direct slight towards Coach Shanahan. For as much football history as McDaniels has had the benefit of being around and personally benefitting from, he doesn't seem to have the humility that is required to be good outside the shadow of a more seasoned head coach. Maybe he will grow up. I'm just not sure that Denver is the place for raising football coaches.

crazykiddz

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
:welcome: to Broncos Forums.

In regards to McDaniels comment - he said that he did not know if it was acceptable under the previous regime. You can hear what he said under video & audio http://www.denverbroncos.com/

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
:welcome: to Broncos Forums.

In regards to McDaniels comment - he said that he did not know if it was acceptable under the previous regime. You can hear what he said under video & audit http://www.denverbroncos.com/

That's a verbal jab at Shanahan and you know it, Carol. Stop trying to mince words and play the "it depends on what the definition if 'is', is" game. This ain't politics.

crazykiddz
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Carol - I understand that the exact verbiage is important. My comment is directed at the intent of the comment. My opinion is that Coach McDaniels intent was to further solidify his position by disparaging the previous coaching staff and specifically Coach Shanahan. I would have preferred that he simply owned his decision without extra-cirricular commentary.

Go Broncos!!!

crazykiddz:defense:

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
That's a verbal jab at Shanahan and you know it, Carol. Stop trying to mince words and play the "it depends on what the definition if 'is', is" game. This ain't politics.

I don't think that's necessarily a "jab" at Shanahan, but more an oblique observation about how things were run previously.

I can see how it could be interpreted as a "jab", but I don't think that was McD's intent. I think his intent was to call attention to Marshall's work ethic vs. his expectations if anything.

And McD coming from New England making such an observation shouldn't be a surprise at all. Heck, a number of former Broncos have questioned Shanahans "Club Med" training camps and practices over the past decade. There's no question that McD runs a tighter ship practice-wise than Shanny did. Just reference Champ failing his Training Camp physical on day one earlier this year. . .. I guarantee that wouldn't have happened under Shanahan.

That's not necessarily a criticism of Shanahan. Obviously, Shanahan (and maybe Brandon Marshall) felt that was the way to run things. . ..McD thinks differently, and he noted it with that statement. To each his own, but McD is the coach now, so if I were a player I'd be either getting on board with that, or preparing to find employment elsewhere.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't think that's necessarily a "jab" at Shanahan, but more an oblique observation about how things were run previously.

I can see how it could be interpreted as a "jab", but I don't think that was McD's intent. I think his intent was to call attention to Marshall's work ethic vs. his expectations if anything.

And McD coming from New England making such an observation shouldn't be a surprise at all. Heck, a number of former Broncos have questioned Shanahans "Club Med" training camps and practices over the past decade. There's no question that McD runs a tighter ship practice-wise than Shanny did. Just reference Champ failing his Training Camp physical on day one earlier this year. . .. I guarantee that wouldn't have happened under Shanahan.

That's not necessarily a criticism of Shanahan. Obviously, Shanahan (and maybe Brandon Marshall) felt that was the way to run things. . ..McD thinks differently, and he noted it with that statement. To each his own, but McD is the coach now, so if I were a player I'd be either getting on board with that, or preparing to find employment elsewhere.

All I know is, when someone uses the old "there's a new sheriff in town" type of statement, or a "I don't know how it used to be, but..." it's a deliberate sign of dissappointment or disgust with the previous policy/person who made that policy. have you ever in your life heard this term used in a non-derogatory manner? I haven't.

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
All I know is, when someone uses the old "there's a new sheriff in town" type of statement, or a "I don't know how it used to be, but..." it's a deliberate sign of dissappointment or disgust with the previous policy/person who made that policy. have you ever in your life heard this term used in a non-derogatory manner? I haven't.

Yes, I have heard such a phrase used in a non-derogatory manner, and again McD is just pointing out that there's potentially a difference in expectations between Shanny and himself, and that Brandon is not meeting McD's expectations.

Again, this shouldn't be a surprise. Shanny was known for running low impact practices and training camps. McD on the other hand has run full-contact, out-doors in below freezing, snowing conditions practices this whole season. McD simply prepares the team differently and looks for something different than Shanny did. Of that, there can be no question.

Shazam!
01-03-2010, 02:15 AM
All this about McDaniels' calling out and benching Marshall, did anyone hate on Shanahan when he openly said Sharpe was milking his injuries in 99'? Or kill Sharpe for saying he couldn't go? Or were you blinded by the shiny Super Bowl trophies?

Superchop 7
01-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Do you also remember how happy Shannon was when Mike called him after the Ravens won the Superbowl?

Do you also remember Jerry Rice asking Mike for his opinion ? (Playing skills)

Mike was a class act.

Most problems handled in-house.

Coach punk has been a drama queen since day 1.

I have never seen anything like it.

This isn't us.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
So, after reading some of the posts, I wonder why Shanahan is still NOT the coach - because it appears SOME feel he was perfect - never mind that ALL he had to do was FIRE Slowick per the OWNER'S REQUEST. AND to some, I am sure that it does NOT appear that Shanahan was stubborn AND also had an ego. Of course not.

So - I assume some feel that the OWNER was wrong for firing Shanahan, and now he is wrong for NOT telling Coach McD that he will do EVERYTHING like the previoius regime DID.

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Sorry, when it comes to allowing players to run rampant and act like they are in club med Shanahan deserves all the criticism that comes his way. Shanahan became the mother who wants to be her daughter's best friend instead of parent without any discipline. And thus the inmates ran amok without having to have any accountability. Now, they have to be accountable for their actions and behaviors. At one time early in his career with Denver Shanahan made the players accountable, but towards the end of his career here the message got lost and he lost his hunger and the end result was mediocrity. Now, McD has to come in and change the mentality back to where players have to answer for themselves and get the hunger back.

Nomad
01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Coach Mike could give two shits now, he's about to be $50,000,000 richer!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
So, after reading some of the posts, I wonder why Shanahan is still NOT the coach - because it appears SOME feel he was perfect - never mind that ALL he had to do was FIRE Slowick per the OWNER'S REQUEST. AND to some, I am sure that it does NOT appear that Shanahan was stubborn AND also had an ego. Of course not.

So - I assume some feel that the OWNER was wrong for firing Shanahan, and now he is wrong for NOT telling Coach McD that he will do EVERYTHING like the previoius regime DID.

Carol Sweetheart, do you really think it would be any different, now? With the way McD has treated the team since his been here, do you think if pat Bowlen requested that he fired one of "his guys" that McD would do it? Or do you think he'd tell Bowlen to pack sand and hit the highway? McD is even more confident, arrogant, and inflexible than Shanahan was. he's proven it time and time again this year. He's learning, but the one thing he has yet to learn is humility.

Traveler
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
All I'll say is that we are gonna have draft choices up the wazoo after he cleans house again this offseason.