PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to take a chance on Thomas?

BigSarge87
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I know I'm putting my head in a noose by even metioning this, but after I saw this article I couldn't help but think about it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8309474

I know we're very leary about 'past thier prime' free agents, and under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even consider it. However, New England was very quick to make him an offer and they are pretty much 100% on free agent talent evaluation, right? Maybe the dude has a few more good years in him. We could get Thomas, move DJ back out, and draft a good MLB later in the draft to groom behind Thomas.

mclark
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
The Denver Broncos are considering bringing in former Miami linebacker Zach Thomas in for a visit soon.

Cut by the Dolphins recently, Thomas is getting a lot of interest on the open market and already has an offer from New England. He is also set to go to Dallas, New Orleans and Houston.

Thomas has said he wants to finish his career with a winning team.

___

I think New England and Dallas have the edge if he wants to finish with a winner. I'd have to give him a physical and study film to see if he still has it. If he does still have it, I'd love to get him.

JONtheBRONCO
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
No. Draft one. Getting a guy for two years max isn't going to build a franchise or help our defense grow into a top caliber defense.

BigSarge87
02-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Obviously he's not the same dude he was three years ago, or the Doh'phins wouldn't have let him go. I don't know how much he's gonna cost. The leadership he COULD provide would be invaluable also. I know that's risky, but i would have to think he's a much better bet than Simeon Rice was.

Lancane
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
It helps us from eliminating the need to draft one need and that is a huge plus since the next draft class will be stacked with defensive talent that makes this class look like second tier athletes. Thirty one players who are going to be eligable for the 2009 NFL Draft are first round graded prospects, near the entire first round...that does not include the weak offense prospects but still there is I believe ten first round graded offensive prospects eligable, that means next year will be a heavy defensive draft...while the offense is more stout this year.

I am all for adding defense outside of the draft this year, sign a MLB or OLB, bring in a veteran FS, trade for Shaun Rogers or sign Rod Coleman, then add depth on day two of the draft and go offense heavy in the first two to three rounds. Then next year we should have far less needs but what ever defensive or offensive holes we have we can fill quite easily with such a stout defensive draft.

BigSarge87
02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
No. Draft one. Getting a guy for two years max isn't going to build a franchise or help our defense grow into a top caliber defense.

Don't you think it would allow us to draft a MLB on the second day and let him ride the pine while he learns, maybe even contribute to special teams, that's how a lot of great players get their start.

jrelway
02-20-2008, 08:40 PM
why didnt the dolphins keep him to teach the young guys they have or will sign. hes over the hill, too banged up, and has too many concussions. it would be a shame to sign him and have him sit the sidelines all year long. draft draft draft.

roomemp
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I know I'm putting my head in a noose by even metioning this, but after I saw this article I couldn't help but think about it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8309474

I know we're very leary about 'past thier prime' free agents, and under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even consider it. However, New England was very quick to make him an offer and they are pretty much 100% on free agent talent evaluation, right? Maybe the dude has a few more good years in him. We could get Thomas, move DJ back out, and draft a good MLB later in the draft to groom behind Thomas.

This would be a move I could live with. He offers leadership and passion to our defense. Bring in a strong vet who can teach the younger talent. I would not be against this. Saying that, he would have to come cheap!!!

dogfish
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
nah. . .

i really don't see the point in bringing in old vets unless you think you're in a position to make a deep playoff run-- i'd much rather stick it out with the guys we have, or preferably bring in some young guys. . . save that money to sign dj to an extension instead. . . . it's time to committ to a long-term approach of building through the draft instead of constantly patching holes with fading stars. . . i don't object to free agents who are in their prime, but thomas would just be another "quick fix". . . pass. . . .

broncosfanscott
02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
While a veteran like Thomas will provide leadership on defense and help guide a player we draft, I also can't help but be a little gun shy at the moment. We have signed players from other teams and they somehow don't seem to play well when they get to Denver. We'll have to see what happens because several teams are intersted.

lex
02-20-2008, 11:17 PM
It helps us from eliminating the need to draft one need and that is a huge plus since the next draft class will be stacked with defensive talent that makes this class look like second tier athletes. Thirty one players who are going to be eligable for the 2009 NFL Draft are first round graded prospects, near the entire first round...that does not include the weak offense prospects but still there is I believe ten first round graded offensive prospects eligable, that means next year will be a heavy defensive draft...while the offense is more stout this year.

I am all for adding defense outside of the draft this year, sign a MLB or OLB, bring in a veteran FS, trade for Shaun Rogers or sign Rod Coleman, then add depth on day two of the draft and go offense heavy in the first two to three rounds. Then next year we should have far less needs but what ever defensive or offensive holes we have we can fill quite easily with such a stout defensive draft.

Only if Thomas doesnt get injured, which seems likely. Are we really comfortable with the depth at Mike we have now. Yes I know DJ can move over but that means relying on dept at Will. Either way, Thomas getting injured will expose our lack of depth. I dont think acquiring Thomas eliminates the need to take a Mike LB. Yeah, you could maybe wait one round longer but youd still want someone you think has a reasonable chance of filling in.

turftoad
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd rather bring Big Al back. Probably cost less also.

MHCBill
02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

eessydo
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
New England is a franchise set up to work around veteran linebackers. Denver is not.

I would think this would be a completely feasible idea if we had the likes of Vince Woolfork anchoring the D-Line to keep Lineman off of Z. Thomas, but that is not where Denver is.

BOSSHOGG30
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
If we are going to bring in a veteran MLB, I would hope it would be Al Wilson.... not Zach Thomas. But I do not totally dismiss the idea of bringing in a proven vet... I do like the idea, but only because that would mean that D.J. Williams would be moved back to his Pro-Bowl caliber position and we call all say ABOUT FREAKIN TIME!

atwater27
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I would rather take a chance on Wilson as well as Derek Smith who just got cut by the 9ers. He is a solid, albeit old MLB type who has been an underrated tackling machine over the past several years. He could be a good 1 or 2 season stopgap until we are better positioned to draft a decent starter.

BigSarge87
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Nevermind, it's a non issue now.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8326148

INDIANAPOLIS — The Zach Thomas-to-Denver talk is dead.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Thursday afternoon at the NFL combine that Thomas will not visit Denver. Rosenhaus did say he and the Broncos had preliminary talks about the middle linebacker but they will not continue dialogue.

"It's not going to happen in Denver," Rosenhaus said.

Denver was one of six teams to make contact with Rosenhaus after Thomas was cut last week by Miami. He already has visited New England and New Orleans, and the Patriots have an offer out to Thomas, who will visit Dallas and Houston next week.

Denver is looking for a linebacker. If the Broncos pursue a middle linebacker, DJ Williams would move to weakside linebacker. Rosenhaus said the Broncos asked about Dan Morgan, who was cut by Carolina two weeks ago, but no serious talks have occurred.

Hoshdude7
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Whether you admit this or not but this next year, and this past one, were rebuilding years. So bringing in Thomas for a year is not going to help anything. Let's face it we are not going to be playoff contenders this year.

dogfish
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
dan morgan, OMG!!

:laugh: :lol: :spit:

WHY am i completely unsurprised by that. . . ??

shenanigans is probably the only idiot in the league who would look at morgan. . . . denver has become a veritable sanctuary for damaged goods! maybe we can get lavarr arrington and courtney brown to give it another go while we're at it. . . .

i laugh to keep myself from crying. . . .

Slick
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
New England is a franchise set up to work around veteran linebackers. Denver is not.

I would think this would be a completely feasible idea if we had the likes of Vince Woolfork anchoring the D-Line to keep Lineman off of Z. Thomas, but that is not where Denver is.
Yea, they have a system for that.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Instead of bringing it old time, injury ridden or malcontent head cases for free agents, let's just sit down and take a realistic approach.

Draft talent. :)