PDA

View Full Version : Marshall replies to McDaniels' remarks

Ravage!!!
01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9732

Friday Transcripts: Marshall
BRANDON MARSHALL - 1/1/10

On Head Coach Josh McDaniels' decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I don't think (Head) Coach (Josh McDaniels) ever played in the NFL so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it's tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level. I've battled through a lot of injuries before. I played the whole year last year with a tear in my hip, so I don't think my toughness is in question here. I've just got to do my best just to get back to 100 percent. Hopefully, things fall into place where it should be, and hope we get into the playoffs, and I'll be there with my teammates."

On why McDaniels did not go into specifics when explaining his deactivation
"I don't understand why he didn't answer it. It's because of my hamstring. I got an MRI on it. The MRI came back that there was no structural damage in there. When you try to explode and take off, if you don't have it, you don't have it. It's bad because it's a crucial game for us, but we've got guys who can make plays. We've got guys who have been in this league for years who play this position who can get it done and carry our team."

On McDaniels' emphasis on accountability being a reason that he will be inactive on Sunday
"I don't know what coach said, but I doubt if he said I wasn't buying in because I'm the guy who has been giving up a lot for this team. I've been giving it my all. I'm excited about the opportunity that we have. There are a lot of things that can be in our favor this week to make it to the playoffs. If that happens, I'm going to do my best to be out there with my teammates, but it makes no sense for me to go out there. You can't run 50 percent. (It's) just bad timing."

On how the deactivation affects his relationship with McDaniels
"I don't know what Coach said. If he did say the things that you guys are saying, I don't know why he would say that, but I approached this year in a professional manner, and I'm going to continue to do that. If he decides to take some personal shots because of the way the season is unfolding, it's not my fault. I've made big plays when I'm supposed to. You go back to the Dallas game, the New England game-there are a bunch of games that I've been there and made some huge plays to help us move the ball. I've been unselfish when they've told me I'm not a starter and the reason for it was that I haven't separated myself from anybody. I went out there and I tried to separate myself, and I've done that. I'm going to keep it professional and continue to rehab and hopefully things fall in place for us to move forward into the playoffs."

On if he feels that he has had an issue with being accountable to the team
"Accountability and injury are different. Accountability and injury are different. I wouldn't say pulled my hamstring-it's definitely not that bad. It's tough."

On McDaniels' comment that other players will play with more severe injuries than he has on Sunday
"I was told last year, too, that I didn't have a tear in my hip and I had gotten several MRIs on my hip last year. This is just bad. It's bad for the fans, everyone, my teammates, myself (and) my family. Every game is a playoff game for me. I'm playing for a lot. Every game I go out there playing to give it my all because of trying to achieve my goals. For me not to be out there probably hurts me more than anybody else. I have a lot of things that I want to achieve, a lot of things that I want to do, and it's not just for this game. It's every game that I've played in this year."

On if he was going to try to play through the injury
"This is probably the biggest game for us all year. When you have a muscle injury, that thing doesn't heal over night. Like I said, I've got to do my best to try to be there for the playoffs if we get into the playoffs, but it has nothing to do with accountability."

On if he felt McDaniels was frustrated that he didn't practice yesterday
"No, he hasn't really said anything to me. He just came in today and told me I was deactivated (and that) he's make an announcement today. I have to respect that. I have to respect that. He's the head coach. He makes the decisions around here, and he has to do what's best for the team. It's tough when you don't get a chance to go through the week of preparation and practicing to be able to think you're going to go out there and participate (in the game). It's not fair to our team, it's not fair to our players, but it's just a freak accident. I ran a slant-I was cramping in the (Philadelphia) game Sunday, and my hamstrings were pretty tight from that. I had to get an IV. My muscles were pretty tight. I came out here on Wednesday and it just pulled or something, I'm not sure."

On the fans' perception of his relationship with the team
"There is no more drama. I'm going to be professional about everything moving forward. Like I said, it's an injury. I've played through injuries before, but like I said, last year I was told that I was fine. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. I had a tear in my hip. You've just got to listen to your body, and my body, obviously, something was wrong when I pulled up on Wednesday. I'm just going to continue to rehab and hopefully be there (for the playoffs) of things fall in place."

On his future with the Broncos
"Like I said, I'm going to be professional about the whole team. I love my teammates; my teammates love me. This has been a really smooth season for us as far as just communication and just growing as a person, as a professional athlete. I'm going to continue to do that. That's pretty much it."

On if he is emotionally hurt by the decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I'm hurt for the fact that this is an opportunity for me to go out there and continue to prove myself (and) prove to others what I can do in this league. For me not to get the opportunity because of injury, it sucks, but I'm not the only one that's hurt in the National Football League. It's around that time of the year. I've just got to deal with it."

On how he hopes to proceed with his NFL career
"In a professional manner. Anything I do moving forward is going to be in a professional manner. I'm not going to get into any he-said, she-said (situations) like we've done in the past. I think that's childish. Like I said, I don't think there is any question about my toughness. The way I play the game, it could be first-and-10 and if I gain 15 yards, I'm fighting for 16 yards. I'm that type of guy who's going to give it up on every play in every game, especially for obvious reasons. I have a family. Every game is a big game to me."

Ravage!!!
01-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Seems Marshall truly is the one being a professional around here..... too bad our HC can't have the same kind of Maturity.

BroncoWave
01-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Seems Marshall truly is the one being a professional around here..... too bad our HC can't have the same kind of Maturity.

:lol: wow he has you fooled. When you have to repeatedly tell the media that you are "being a professional about this" that ususally means that you aren't.

How is this quote "being a professional"?

"I don't think (Head) Coach (Josh McDaniels) ever played in the NFL so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it's tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level."

He's also a liar or he's just stupid based on this quote:

"I approached this year in a professional manner"

Que the training camp tape!

This quote also gets me:

"I wouldn't say pulled my hamstring-it's definitely not that bad."

If it's not that bad then why the hell do you not want to play this weekend?

I'm sorry but I cannot believe that anyone is buying into this. Contraty to popular opinion McDaniels is not an idiot. He knows better than any of us how much help Marshall has been to our offense. I'm sure after all the crap he took this offseasn, he wants NOTHING more than to prove everyone wrong and make the playoffs, so if he's willing to flat out deactivate Marshall you'd have to be an idiot to think Marshall didn't pull some crap that we may not know about, or to think that he's "being a professional" about this.

Get real and open your eyes folks. McD is not going to deactivate his best player in the biggest game of the year without a damn good reason to do so. He wants to win too much to do that.

BroncoBJ
01-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Well we havn't had any drama all year. :lol:

So What a way to start the year off. :salute:

Its just like March/April all over again. All the McDaniels hate is coming out again. :fight:

rcsodak
01-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Your "shanny is showing".

On McDaniels' comment that other players will play with more severe injuries than he has on Sunday
"I was told last year, too, that I didn't have a tear in my hip and I had gotten several MRIs on my hip last year. This is just bad. It's bad for the fans, everyone, my teammates, myself (and) my family. Every game is a playoff game for me. I'm playing for a lot. Every game I go out there playing to give it my all because of trying to achieve my goals. For me not to be out there probably hurts me more than anybody else.
I have a lot of things that I want to achieve, a lot of things that I want to do, and it's not just for this game. It's every game that I've played in this year."

If you can't see the underlying meaning in his comments, you need glasses.

Notice how it's all "me, me me"?

"I'm playing for a lot". Gee. really? Like million$?

"trying to achieve my goals". Again, MY! Like million$?

"I have a lot of things that I want to achieve, a lot of things that I want to do, and it's not just for this game." Um, yea....I think we got it now, Brandon.

BroncoWave
01-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Also, he had to use the phrase "I'm going to be a professional about this" or "I'm approaching this in a professional manner" SIX times that I counted!

Sounds like he's trying to convince himself about that. You don't hear true professionals try to contiunally convince the media how professional he is being.

I honestly can't believe anyone is falling for this.

If you really believe that he's trying to be a professional and is all about the team, I have some beach front property I want to sell you.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 12:02 AM
doesn't matter if he repeats it 100 times. Point is, his comments are TEN times more professional than our very coach was to the media about it. I guess maybe we need to get McD to start making the same statements so that he can start acting/being professional about his statements.

I can't believe anyone is actually putting down Marshall for finally getting it and making the EXACT comments you want to see him make.

BroncoWave
01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
doesn't matter if he repeats it 100 times. Point is, his comments are TEN times more professional than our very coach was to the media about it. I guess maybe we need to get McD to start making the same statements so that he can start acting/being professional about his statements.

I can't believe anyone is actually putting down Marshall for finally getting it and making the EXACT comments you want to see him make.

And I can't believe that you don't see the fact that Marshall must have done something REALLY STUPID to get McD to react to the media the way he did. You don't go off to the media like that unless said player REALLY did something to piss you off.

Of course he's going to try to say all the right things NOW. He doesn't want to hurt his value any more than he already has.

And even with him trying to say the right things, anyone who actually reads his quotes can clearly see right through them.

Northman
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
At the end of the day you have to look at history. Is it more probable that Marshall yet again got out of line considering his long history of just not getting it. Or do you truly believe that McD is tearing the team down? Although im sure McD has made and will make his fair share of mistakes i would also believe that Marshall could still be a problem child and still isnt getting it. Im more apt to believe McD at this point than Marshall considering the history there.

LordTrychon
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
It's obvious that Marshall's comments come from a bit of coaching. He knows he has to fall back on certain comments. Nothing wrong with that. It's something that McDaniels put on him and I'm glad.

As for McDaniels... I'm not overly impressed with his fashion of dealing with this. His comments were truly more inflammatory, and Marshall really didn't overreact to them. He did react, but he didn't overreact. He even left it out there that it was misunderstood.

And while we ALL (Marshall supporters included) wonder about Marshall's psyche.... what is it that Scheff has done that got him stuck on the bench? It was just two or three weeks ago I heard him on National radio singing the praises of McDaniels. Now he has an attitude problem?

I support our head coach... but sometimes you have to wonder about the common denominator.

aberdien
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
That's okay, we don't HAVE to make the playoffs.

camdisco24
01-02-2010, 12:21 AM
And I can't believe that you don't see the fact that Marshall must have done something REALLY STUPID to get McD to react to the media the way he did. You don't go off to the media like that unless said player REALLY did something to piss you off.

Of course he's going to try to say all the right things NOW. He doesn't want to hurt his value any more than he already has.

And even with him trying to say the right things, anyone who actually reads his quotes can clearly see right through them.

Gotta agree here. Marshall is clearly trying to hide his wrong doing. His comments are complete cover ups and a cheesy attempt to protect his reputation. He's been all about himself his entire career and there is no way I am about to fall for this act.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I wish they keep this crap in house instead of battling it out through the media and speculation!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Consensus by some of the sports media people here is that - "there has to be more to the story than this", which I have to believe there also is.

Biz1
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I wish they keep this crap in house instead of battling it out through the media and speculation!!

That was weird, we both posted basically the same thing in 2 different threads simultaneously. I definitely agree, nothing ever good comes from not keeping these situations in-house.

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Consensus by some of the sports media people here is that - "there has to be more to the story than this", which I have to believe there also is.

I'm reminded of a situation about two years ago when Cutler called out Marshall for making mistakes during the time that they were practicing in the off-season in Atlanta.

At the time we all questioned why Jay picked that time to call out Marshall pretty harshly.

Then a few months later, we all learn that Marshall and his fiancee were arrested for a domestic issue just a day or two before Jay made his remarks, and then it all made sense.

Who knows, but I think it's a safe assumption that something went down behind the scenes that is just too big to ignore.

Tned-Mobile
01-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Consensus of some of the reporters on Twitter is that head coaches simply DON'T question players injuries as being real to the press. They are scratching their head ad some of the things he has done and said.

And while we ALL (Marshall supporters included) wonder about Marshall's psyche.... what is it that Scheff has done that got him stuck on the bench? It was just two or three weeks ago I heard him on National radio singing the praises of McDaniels. Now he has an attitude problem?

I support our head coach... but sometimes you have to wonder about the common denominator.

With McKinley out, Royal maybe out or hobbled, and now Marshall out, you would think that Scheffler needs to be on the field, attitude or not. He becomes one of our best 'stretch the field' and 'over the middle' guys with Marshall out.

I don't follow other teams closely, but I do see when little blowups occur, like players getting suspended or deactivated for doing something wrong, because the national media picks it up, like they have with the Marshall/Scheffler stories. I can't think of too many times when players were deactivated and called out for faking an injury (short version of what McD said about Marshall) or for not having the right attitude. Typically, it seems, they have missed meetings/practices, did something off the field/got in trouble, die something tangible that is reported to the press.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM

I dont think he did something really stupid, I think McD laid it out as it is. He thinks Marshall should play with his injury, and Marshall doesn't think he should. What else is there?

Last year, Marshall was misdiagnosed, by THIS med staff, and had an injury that COULD have ended his career. He played THROUGH that pain and injury because this med staff pushed him to do it, and, told him he was ok.

(Same med staff that told Al Wilson that he was ok)

He comes back after last season and wants a new contract since he only has one year left, and felt that since he played through this injury (and committed himself) that he should be rewarded with fair market price. He was told that he would have to 'earn' his new contract. Starts off rocky cause he's pissed, but comes out and again posts a 100+ catch season.... only 1 of 5 in history to do it.

THEN...he pulls a hamstring (pulls, tweaks, or something).. and says that it really pulled tight on Wednesday. The SAME day that coach then gives a speech as to "accountability." Marshall told McD that he couldn't go. McD thinks he SHOULD go, and as he (McD) said "there are other players playing with worse injuries." So McD then benches Marshall on Friday, before Marshall can tell him he can't play in the game due to injury. McD doesn't want to hear its because of injury, and feels Marshall should simply play through it. Thus Marshall isn't being accountable. Go to the media and tell them that its "all marshall."

What else is there? I know I drew some conclusions on the "pre-emptive" benching, but its not a coincidence that Marshall had a re-tweak (said the initial tweak was on a slant during the Eagles game) on Wednesday, and that same day was the speech. McD said that Marshall should be playing with his injury. There really is NO mystery here.

Marshall doesn't trust the med staff and doesn't want to hurt himself after last season, and McD feels he should play through the injury anyway and since he won't play for the team is saying that Marshall isn't being accountable. Where is the mystery?

Brand
01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
That's okay, we don't HAVE to make the playoffs.

Don't want to make the playoffs. Read the Post article. Uncapped year puts a lot of restrictions on playoff teams in regards to the FA signings. This team needs to be able to explore the FA market s well as draft some better players who are not drama queens or selfish. immature kids.....

T.K.O.
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
the one thing about mcD's statement that keeps being left out is he said "we had a team meeting and came to the conclusion that we would put the 45 guys on the field that wanted to play" or something very close to that....it sounds to me as though there were other players as well as coaches who felt that marshall and sheffler were not going into the game with 100%,whether it was injury or attitude ,it sounded to me like a group decision...:confused:

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
the one thing about mcD's statement that keeps being left out is he said "we had a team meeting and came to the conclusion that we would put the 45 guys on the field that wanted to play" or something very close to that....it sounds to me as though there were other players as well as coaches who felt that marshall and sheffler were not going into the game with 100%,whether it was injury or attitude ,it sounded to me like a group decision...:confused:

I caught that too and have been trying to decipher exactly what it means. It's a very interesting comment.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM

If this were the case, then we could come to the conclusion the team spoke and Marshall and Scheffler are seeking sympathy from outside the organization and making drama out of it!!

getlynched47
01-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Group decision, meaning McDaniels, his hoodie, and Xanders

I doubt he ran this across his players, since he runs a "my way or the highway" program.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Group decision, meaning McDaniels, his hoodie, and Xanders

I doubt he ran this across his players, since he runs a "my way or the highway" program.

I would like to believe he at least confided in the captains of the team on this decision.

Northman
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I would like to believe he at least confided in the captains of the team on this decision.

It is funny, at the beginning of the offseason when all the drama happened everyone thought there would be this huge mutiny against McD. And when it didnt happen the naysayers went into hiding. Now, Marshall and Sheff are restarting their antics and yet again there is this delusion that a massive mutiny will be on the horizon. :lol:

getlynched47
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Daniel Graham seemed like he didn't know the news until the reporters told him and wanted his reaction.

T.K.O.
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Daniel Graham seemed like he didn't know the news until the reporters told him and wanted his reaction.

"Co-captain Daniel Graham said that while Marshall has been a good teammate this year, McDaniels was doing what was in the team's best interests."

i think he was aware of something the rest of us obviously are not...he seemed to have already formed his opinion on the matter

Poet
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
McDaniels had the team's support during the beginning of the year and the offseason and he still has it now.

Marshall's past shows that he's not exactly a great player to trust and his word doesn't hold any water.

Marshall is a beast on the field, but once again he's found another way to get off the field.

I remember getting crucified for making the comments that "it only takes a few good games for fans to forget about past endeavors," or something along those lines.

I'm not sold on the "Marshall has played his last game in Denver," spiel just yet, but that has become more likely.

weazel
01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
If I was Bowlen I would let both McD and Marshall walk at the end of the season... they are both attention whores. Too much drama, see ya later.

Give Nolan the head coach position, the only part of this team that has become better is the defense. Our offense has become worse under McD's control.

Dean
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
McDaniels had the team's support during the beginning of the year and the offseason and he still has it now.

Marshall's past shows that he's not exactly a great player to trust and his word doesn't hold any water.

Marshall is a beast on the field, but once again he's found another way to get off the field.

I remember getting crucified for making the comments that "it only takes a few good games for fans to forget about past endeavors," or something along those lines.

I'm not sold on the "Marshall has played his last game in Denver," spiel just yet, but that has become more likely.

The word out now is that he a Sheff won't even be allowed in the stadium. If that has even been considered, Marshall won't be back nor would any other top player. It seems to me to be like rubbing a puppies nose in it.

If we are trying to get value for him rather than keep him, it seems like we are working against ourselves.

Poet
01-03-2010, 04:15 PM
The word out now is that he a Sheff won't even be allowed in the stadium. If that has even been considered, Marshall won't be back nor would any other top player. It seems to me to be like rubbing a puppies nose in it.

If we are trying to get value for him rather than keep him, it seems like we are working against ourselves.

You aren't hurting yourself in any way, shape or form.

SM19
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
You aren't hurting yourself in any way, shape or form.

How do you figure? If someone has something I want and would prefer to keep it, I'm going to offer them more value for it than I would if I knew they were hoping to get rid of it.

Poet
01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
How do you figure? If someone has something I want and would prefer to keep it, I'm going to offer them more value for it than I would if I knew they were hoping to get rid of it.

Because people already know that Marshall is a douche. People have been speculating since his contract hasn't been reworked that he wouldn't be a Bronco.

This isn't a big surprise, and the teams that would be interested in a guy like Marshall aren't going to shy away from him now.

I'd also like to point out that if you were making an offer to a team and they listened to you that they're hoping or at the very least willing to get rid of it.

This pretty much proves that Marshall is a d-bag.

LoyalSoldier
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
If he was to make some smart ass remark you guys would be climbing all over him. And now that he actually acts professional you are still roasting him?

Seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't......

Poet
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
If he was to make some smart ass remark you guys would be climbing all over him. And now that he actually acts professional you are still roasting him?

Seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't......

Maybe he shouldn't quit on his team.

LoyalSoldier
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe he shouldn't quit on his team.

You and I are in no position to know if he is quitting or not. Unless you are the doctor who diagnosed him, none of us know what is really going on.

Poet
01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
You and I are in no position to know if he is quitting or not. Unless you are the doctor who diagnosed him, none of us know what is really going on.

Doctors said his hammy was fine, his teammates have spoken. His past actions factored in and it's pretty clear that Marshall isn't doing what he's suppossed to be doing.

Yeah, we can all hope that it's just one huge misunderstanding, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

I would normally agree with you, but the team's captains seeking out McDaniels is the nail in the coffin.

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I would certainly categorize Marshall's comment about "Coach never played" in the NFL as a smartass remark.

How many HC's have played in the NFL? pretty low percentage.

Poet
01-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I would certainly categorize Marshall's comment about "Coach never played" in the NFL as a smartass remark.

How many HC's have played in the NFL? pretty low percentage.

The line about him sacrificing anything was also garbage.

Watchthemiddle
01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
:laugh:Marshall the Professional...BWHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHA HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA

I agree with RC....Ravage your Shanny is showing...:laugh:

Sir Foxx
01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Doctors said his hammy was fine, his teammates have spoken. His past actions factored in and it's pretty clear that Marshall isn't doing what he's suppossed to be doing.

Yeah, we can all hope that it's just one huge misunderstanding, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

I would normally agree with you, but the team's captains seeking out McDaniels is the nail in the coffin.

Dr's said his hip was fine last year and what did that get him, surgery off-season and a lot of rehab.

Poet
01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Dr's said his hip was fine last year and what did that get him, surgery off-season and a lot of rehab.

I believe that the doctors said he was ok to play on his hip.

They were right.

He admitted that his hamstring wasn't even pulled. Yeah, maybe he couldn't explode like he normally could, but even at that point he's a force that the other teams have to respect.