PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Titans

Northman
01-01-2010, 11:04 PM
qpZ5D_Wc4cA&NR=1

Devilspawn
01-02-2010, 02:32 AM
"Unleash the kraken!" my ass

I don't care how cheesy the original looked, and I don't care if it starred Harry Hamlin, the original was badass.

This new one looks sick, but how many remakes are actually better than the original?

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I loved the original, watch it at least once a year. This trailer has everything. Pegasus, the Devil Guy, Adromeda, Medusa, even the Kraken! But I am boycotting this until I see a Robotic Owl! WHERES BOBO?

The original will always be #1 just based on nostalgia, but I will definitely check this out. Plus, they are working on putting it in 3-D which is pretty cool.

Northman
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I hope they dont butcher it. The original is fantastic to this day but we will see.

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I hope they dont butcher it. The original is fantastic to this day but we will see.

Looks like they stuck to the story, so at least they got that right. What made the original so good is the acting from Harry Hamlin and Burgess Merideth, the Ray Harryhausen stop motion animation, and just the overall charm of a movie that looked like it was made in 60's coming in in the early 80's. That Medusa scene, and also the blind witches used to give me nightmares!

I think unlike some re-makes, this might fall into the category of "fun" if not "good" or "great". The director is a big fan of the original, and looks like more of a homage as opposed to remake or reboot.

Speaking of horrible remakes though, did you see the new Karate Kid trailer with Wil Smith's kid and Jackie Chan? THAT IS SACRILEGIOUS! Remake a movie of a known greek myth, but please stay away from stuff like Karate Kid! The only thing that would piss me off more is a Goonies remake with the Jonas Brothers! :mad:

Northman
01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Looks like they stuck to the story, so at least they got that right. What made the original so good is the acting from Harry Hamlin and Burgess Merideth, the Ray Harryhausen stop motion animation, and just the overall charm of a movie that looked like it was made in 60's coming in in the early 80's. That Medusa scene, and also the blind witches used to give me nightmares!

I think unlike some re-makes, this might fall into the category of "fun" if not "good" or "great". The director is a big fan of the original, and looks like more of a homage as opposed to remake or reboot.

Speaking of horrible remakes though, did you see the new Karate Kid trailer with Wil Smith's kid and Jackie Chan? THAT IS SACRILEGIOUS! Remake a movie of a known greek myth, but please stay away from stuff like Karate Kid! The only thing that would piss me off more is a Goonies remake with the Jonas Brothers! :mad:

No, i havent seen the Karate Kid trailer. But your right, certian movies i think can be redone and be ok if not great compared to the originals. But, i do worry about the Nightmare on Elm Street, Suspiria, and Escape from New York remakes. Some movies should never be redone but its the way of the world i guess.

Devilspawn
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
The Karate Kid??? Damn are they remaking everything? They should remake Masters of the Universe, but get the shit right this time.

girler
01-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Clash of the Titans has always been one of my favorites!!! I can't wait to see this remake- I have high hopes for this! This is why CGI was invented! I wouldn't mind the whole Jason and the Argonauts series being remade. :laugh:

And like you, I agree about the Karate kid. Leave that crap alone already. Doesn't anyone have any original ideas anymore?

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Clash of the Titans has always been one of my favorites!!! I can't wait to see this remake- I have high hopes for this! This is why CGI was invented! I wouldn't mind the whole Jason and the Argonauts series being remade. :laugh:

And like you, I agree about the Karate kid. Leave that crap alone already. Doesn't anyone have any original ideas anymore?

The main problem with the Karate Kid is that the story is basically an older male father figure shows a kid how to cope with bullies. Its an old movie plot that is done to death. This was already made last year. It was called Gran Torino.

girler
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
The main problem with the Karate Kid is that the story is basically an older male father figure shows a kid how to cope with bullies. Its an old movie plot that is done to death. This was already made last year. It was called Gran Torino.

And Star Wars, etc...

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
And Star Wars, etc...

Actually, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Avatar, etc. are all based on the mythological Heroes Journey (as is Clash of the Titans). The difference is, they all tell the same story in DIFFERENT ways. They all share the same theme: unwilling hero must go on great quest, is tutored along the way, the comes out the other side a hero. But how they get there is unique and fun.

The original Clash of the Titans, while great, could use a modern twist with better special effects. Like I said its more of a homage to the original. The problem with recreating things like the Karate Kid is that they got it right the first time, and YOU CAN NOT improve on it. Its not a tribute, its a crane kick to the nuts. Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio were lighting in a bottle. Even the Karate Kid sequels couldn't recapture that magic. And you can't improve the special effects because there weren't any.

Northman
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Actually, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Avatar, etc. are all based on the mythological Heroes Journey (as is Clash of the Titans). The difference is, they all tell the same story in DIFFERENT ways. They all share the same theme: unwilling hero must go on great quest, is tutored along the way, the comes out the other side a hero. But how they get there is unique and fun.

The original Clash of the Titans, while great, could use a modern twist with better special effects. Like I said its more of a homage to the original. The problem with recreating things like the Karate Kid is that they got it right the first time, and YOU CAN NOT improve on it. Its not a tribute, its a crane kick to the nuts. Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio were lighting in a bottle. Even the Karate Kid sequels couldn't recapture that magic. And you can't improve the special effects because there weren't any.

Excellent points. I remember seeing the Karate Kid in the theater and that was the first time i had seen people clap and get excited when he did the Crane kick at the end. You just cant recapture that emotion like they got from the original.

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
The Karate Kid??? Damn are they remaking everything? They should remake Masters of the Universe, but get the shit right this time.

They have been working on the script for that for a few years. The tentative title is Grayskull: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Excellent points. I remember seeing the Karate Kid in the theater and that was the first time i had seen people clap and get excited when he did the Crane kick at the end. You just cant recapture that emotion like they got from the original.

Its also why movies like Star Wars and Alien and The Godfather should never be remade. Things like Clash of the Titans are ok IMO because while great, they were not standard bearers or benchmark movies.

Devilspawn
01-02-2010, 02:48 PM
They have been working on the script for that for a few years. The tentative title is Grayskull: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/
Yeah my cousin was actually tapped to do some of the character designs but at the time nothing came to pass and he had other projects once talks resurfaced. I THINK he's working on Voltron or GoBots, I can't remember which.

Thundercats talks surfaced at the time too but I have't heard anything recently.

girler
01-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Um, ya. That's what I meant. :D :laugh:

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Um, ya. That's what I meant. :D :laugh:

Sorry... My first major was English and my thesis was on Modern American Cinema and Mythological Archetypes! :lol:

I had to read A LOT of Joseph Campbell.

MasterShake
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah my cousin was actually tapped to do some of the character designs but at the time nothing came to pass and he had other projects once talks resurfaced. I THINK he's working on Voltron or GoBots, I can't remember which.

Thundercats talks surfaced at the time too but I have't heard anything recently.

I hope to god its Voltron. GoBots was like what the Transformers crapped out after eating a bunch of Geo Metros.

Shazam!
01-03-2010, 03:00 AM
I do believe COTT was the first movie I saw with a naked chick.

ursamajor
01-04-2010, 06:54 AM
The only thing that would piss me off more is a Goonies remake with the Jonas Brothers! :mad:

If that ever comes to pass, I am going to hold you personally responsible for putting the idea out there.