PDA

View Full Version : Looks like in the end McD will be...

Northman
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Getting his own players in here one way or another. I just logged in for the first time today to see some of the comments he made about Bmarsh so at this point i would be inclined to say both he and Sheff will be traded. But it shouldnt be a total surprise as Belichek handles his players in a similiar fashion. There's just no room for "me" players here. Sucks that it seems Bmarsh and McD were getting over the early drama but McD will have to sink or swim with his crew that he puts together. Just time for more wait and see as the offseason approaches.

claymore
01-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Getting his own players in here one way or another. I just logged in for the first time today to see some of the comments he made about Bmarsh so at this point i would be inclined to say both he and Sheff will be traded. But it shouldnt be a total surprise as Belichek handles his players in a similiar fashion. There's just no room for "me" players here. Sucks that it seems Bmarsh and McD were getting over the early drama but McD will have to sink or swim with his crew that he puts together. Just time for more wait and see as the offseason approaches.

I have no choice but to wait and see. I love this team though, but its so hard disagreeeing with 90% of the shit that they do. I hate this.

ikillz0mbies
01-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I have no choice but to wait and see. I love this team though, but its so hard disagreeeing with 90% of the shit that they do. I hate this.

We all do. I would love for Marshall to stay though. He has made some incredible plays this season and his production will be hard to replace.

claymore
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
We all do. I would love for Marshall to stay though. He has made some incredible plays this season and his production will be hard to replace.

I want Marshall gone because I think its in the best intrest of the team. If we had an Elway in there to manage him then I would want to keep him.

But the same can be said for JMCD. I think he is actually worse for us than Marshall.

dogfish
01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
people can say what they want about marshall, and as a matter of fact i happen to agree that we're better off moving on without him IF he's actually milking a minor injury-- which we'll never know for sure, but the fiasco with the hip injury doesn't lend us any extra credibility in this circumstance, any more than brandon's TC antics lend him any credibility. . . but in any case, it's pretty apparent that he's probably gone, and it's going to put us in a tough position-- the guy has been our ONLY consistent offensive weapon this year (and yes, i realize he's had some down games statistically-- i said consistent, not automatic). . . he has a full third of our receptions and receiving yards, and the same amount of TD catches as the rest of our offensive players put together, and that's after a slow start while he worked his way back into good graces. . .

this offense has been ugly most of the year with brandon-- no way to know for sure, but without him i suspect it would've been downright putrid most of the time. . . so what will we do without him? in theory this offensive scheme doesn't need that dominant number one receiver to produce because of the way it spreads the ball around, but in practice we've seen that marshall's output has been a huge part of our offensive success, and even back in NE with tom brady they weren't any kind of overwhelming offense until they added randy moss. . .

obviously our first priority is going to be beefing up the offensive line and getting the blocking right, and that by itself should be a big help. . . it'll have to be. . . because unless we get very lucky, we're going to be featuring a passing attack of orton to royal, stokley and gaffney-- and while those guys are all competent, i'm a long way from convinced that it's a battery that will win games without a rugged defense and strong running game. . .

so we invest in the trenches. . . that looks like a given, and did even before this shit came up with marshall and scheffler. . . but what i'm really wondering is whether we throw all our chips into trying to field a baltimore ravens type of model, or whether mcdaniels, xanders and company will invest resources to rebuild the passing game? not paying brandon will free up some money for free agency (dependant on what happens with the CBA, of course), but you don't replace a player like marshall through FA very often, and vincent "DUI" jackson is the only player who'll be available that even comes close-- and who thinks san diego is letting him walk anyway?

unfortunately, QB and wide receiver are typically positions that take time to develop-- there's no rule, but you're historically more likely to get immediate returns drafting positions like offensive line, linebacker or defensive back. . . and while i think bowlen is more patient than most owners, current broncos management is going to start feeling the heat-- from the fanbase and the media if not from ownership-- if next year ends up being the same "hovering around .500, competing but falling short" type of year this one seems likely to finish as. . .

so will we spend some of our picks (especially assuming we get a 1st from marshall) to beef up the passing game, or will we look for more immediate help elsewhere and continue to go ultra-conservative in the passing game with mostly the pieces we have now, give or take the likely addition of another veteran #3/#4 type to the receiving corps?

JONtheBRONCO
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Marshall is great. He makes plays other players dream of making. Period. There is no question regarding his talent. It's that simple. But, this is a team sport, and the Broncos are bigger than one player, no matter how big and bad one man is. It sucks to see him go and I will miss him as a fan enjoying a player play.

But with that said, the torch has been passed to McD. Pat made the hire and now Josh is calling the shots. If he wants his guys, and if he wants his schemes, well dammit then, it's his team to do so, no matter how mad it makes some fans. In a way it's not fair to a lot of us, but on the other hand, he is in the poisition he holds now for a reason. Let the man do his mother ******* job already. Seriously, go complain about this at a breakfast club, not here. I like the direction McD is taking us, I see an up and coming head coach, and I'm excited for the Broncos. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, but to declare the future state of he Broncos as doom and gloom is just flat out stupid, annoying, and immature to the point i want to pull my hair out.

Lets see how this unfolds before we start assuming the end is near. My god.

dogfish
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
But with that said, the torch has been passed to McD. Pat made the hire and now Josh is calling the shots. If he wants his guys, and if he wants his schemes, well dammit then, it's his team to do so, no matter how mad it makes some fans. In a way it's not fair to a lot of us, but on the other hand, he is in the poisition he holds now for a reason. Let the man do his mother ******* job already. Seriously, go complain about this at a breakfast club, not here. I like the direction McD is taking us, I see an up and coming head coach, and I'm excited for the Broncos. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, but to declare the future state of he Broncos as doom and gloom is just flat out stupid, annoying, and immature to the point i want to pull my hair out.

Lets see how this unfolds before we start assuming the end is near. My god.

get a grip, will ya? take a deep breath. . . nobody in this thread said one word about not allowing josh to do his job, or anything about the end being near. . . seriously, who's complaining about anything in this thread? we're discussing a legitimate situation that effects the broncos, which is more appropriate on a denver broncos discussion board than any breakfast club. . .

JONtheBRONCO
01-01-2010, 10:23 PM
get a grip, will ya? take a deep breath. . . nobody in this thread said one word about not allowing josh to do his job, or anything about the end being near. . . seriously, who's complaining about anything in this thread? we're discussing a legitimate situation that effects the broncos, which is more appropriate on a denver broncos discussion board than any breakfast club. . .

Dude, I'm venting.

dogfish
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Dude, I'm venting.

yea, i know-- i probably wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't posted that right after my last post. . . :laugh:

Ravage!!!
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
No room for "me" players? Seems that McDaniels is being the "me" guy here. Have you read Marshall's responses to McDaniels' statements??? He's being the mature one here

Northman
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Seems that McDaniels is being the "me" guy here.

Most HC's are. Its his way or the highway, either the players buy in or they dont. Most of the players have.

Tned-Mobile
01-01-2010, 11:39 PM

So far, the Broncos have spent the last 25 years, spanning four coaches, trying to find a wide receiver like Marshall. They found one, Marshall.

Don't get me wrong, Smith was one of my favorite Broncos. He worked his ass off, but he did not have the talent to ever be considered one of the top tier WR's in the game.

We got lucky and hit the lottery with Marshall, and because of a my way or the highway approach, he is likely going to hit the highway next season.

Part of coaching in the NFL is knowing how to deal with and communicate with young, head strong players that are rolling in money for the first time in their life. Our rookie HC clearly doesn't have those skills yet, but hopefully he will develop them sooner rather than later.

Ravage!!!
01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Most HC's are. Its his way or the highway, either the players buy in or they dont. Most of the players have.

are you sure? Seems that now Scheff is being sat down because of his attitude? So marshall and now scheff.... and hillis. Stokely will be gone as well.

Orton said that the most important thing is going UFA. Royal buying in? You sure about that?

I think McD is LOSING this locker room in a big big way.

Northman
01-01-2010, 11:53 PM
are you sure? Seems that now Scheff is being sat down because of his attitude? So marshall and now scheff.... and hillis. Stokely will be gone as well.

Orton said that the most important thing is going UFA. Royal buying in? You sure about that?

I think McD is LOSING this locker room in a big big way.

Yea, i heard the same thing before the season began. Right now its just the same 2 guys who had issues before the season started. Either way, its McD's reputation that goes on the line, not mine. But im sure as hell going to give him more than one year to prove his worth. If you want to pack it in knock yourself out man. You havent been on board all year so why would that change now?

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Yea, i heard the same thing before the season began. Right now its just the same 2 guys who had issues before the season started. Either way, its McD's reputation that goes on the line, not mine. But im sure as hell going to give him more than one year to prove his worth. If you want to pack it in knock yourself out man. You havent been on board all year so why would that change now?

You ar right. I havent' been on board with this guy yet.. and he keeps giving me reasons to take a step further away from his "bandwagon."

Seems like its just a coincidence.. I'm sure... that it was Cutler, then Marshall.. now its Scheff and Hillis. How many of these guys were the playmakers before McDaniels came to town? Coincidence I'm sure. Im sure its not McDaniels having a hard time with the locker room, its just these 'few' guys.

Northman
01-02-2010, 12:03 AM
You ar right. I havent' been on board with this guy yet.. and he keeps giving me reasons to take a step further away from his "bandwagon."

Seems like its just a coincidence.. I'm sure... that it was Cutler, then Marshall.. now its Scheff and Hillis. How many of these guys were the playmakers before McDaniels came to town? Coincidence I'm sure. Im sure its not McDaniels having a hard time with the locker room, its just these 'few' guys.

And two of the 4 guys you mentioned had attitude problems before he became HC. Yea, im sure its ALL JMCD.

Ziggy
01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I may be the only one that is, but I'm glad this happened when it did. Marshall has been a diva, high maintenence, bonehead since he was in college. That's the way he acts with millions of dollars on the line. Can you imagine what it's going to be like after he gets paid? Does anyone really think that getting millions guarunteed is going to make him a more mature human being?

I have no problem with McD drawing the line in the sand and moving Marshall before it's contract time. I don't dispute the talent level, but he's a cancer. Anyone remember the last time a team won a Superbowl with an ultra talented diva WR who caused dissention in the locker room?

elsid13
01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I want Marshall gone because I think its in the best intrest of the team. If we had an Elway in there to manage him then I would want to keep him.

But the same can be said for JMCD. I think he is actually worse for us than Marshall.

I am not trying to rehash things, but only guy that seemed to be able to manage him get his ass on the field was Cutler. I have strange feeling Cutler could of told get his ass on the field, he would.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I may be the only one that is, but I'm glad this happened when it did. Marshall has been a diva, high maintenence, bonehead since he was in college. That's the way he acts with millions of dollars on the line. Can you imagine what it's going to be like after he gets paid? Does anyone really think that getting millions guarunteed is going to make him a more mature human being?

I have no problem with McD drawing the line in the sand and moving Marshall before it's contract time. I don't dispute the talent level, but he's a cancer. Anyone remember the last time a team won a Superbowl with an ultra talented diva WR who caused dissention in the locker room?

You're right!! I was extremely critical of Cutler last season when people were telling me to, 'chill out dude' Cutler's the man and you're overreacting:lol:. I should see the same with Marshall but I guess many of us are desperate for wins and tired of change and the soap opera . I guess we'll have to trust McyD because I haven't the slighest clue what to think!!

NameUsedBefore
01-02-2010, 10:34 AM
McDaniels is a shitty headcoach.

Yeah I said it.

Dzone
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
McMidget does it again!!!!!!!! Pick up the clue phone buddy ...not saying Marshall is innocent either, hes a freakin diva, no doubt, but McDipshit has all the people skills that God gave a piss ant..the only way McDoophus is exonerated is to win 44-0 tomorrow.

broken12
01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Make no doubt, if the Broncos miss the playoffs, it's on the offense. Sure, they've had their share of defensive meltdowns and implosions, but they've played well enough on that side of the ball to win a wild card, if not the AFC West. But hey, don't take my word for it. All you need to know is this: The Bronx have allowed 280 points, fewer than five of the eight division leaders, including all four in the NFC. . . .

Two words, Elvis Dumervil: hat trick. It's not every year that a guy has a shot at 20 sacks. . . .

How far have the Raiders and Chiefs fallen? They've combined to score 434 points this season. The Chargers have scored 431. . . .

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14108938#ixzz0bTDDF9M4

Biz1
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
McMidget does it again!!!!!!!! Pick up the clue phone buddy ...not saying Marshall is innocent either, hes a freakin diva, no doubt, but McDipshit has all the people skills that God gave a piss ant..the only way McDoophus is exonerated is to win 44-0 tomorrow.

How does one exonerate a HC that allows these situations to be played out in the media?. We had the same situation here in Chicago with Tommie Harris back in October. He was benched for a game for refusing to practice. But rather than allowing the media and fans to question the decision, Halas Hall simply listed him as injured for the game.

Team issues are team issues and should be kept as such. Josh McDaniels has done a very poor job handling problem players for 10 months running. When you don't take care of this behind closed doors, it allows the media to take things out of context. And when that happens, the bridge between player and coach usually becomes too great to repair.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 11:20 AM
How does one exonerate a HC that allows these situations to be played out in the media?. We had the same situation here in Chicago with Tommie Harris back in October. He was benched for a game for refusing to practice. But rather than allowing the media and fans to question the decision, Halas Hall simply listed him as injured for the game.

Team issues are team issues and should be kept as such. Josh McDaniels has done a very poor job handling problem players for 10 months running. When you don't take care of this behind closed doors, it allows the media to take things out of context. And when that happens, the bridge between player and coach usually becomes too great to repair.

When it ws the Cutler debacle, it was all Cutler because Cutler didn't even know McD... and Cutler had a 'bad attitude.' Now, these players know McD, and they have a 'bad attitude.' Cutler, Scheff and Hillis never seemed to have a "bad attitude" with previous coaches... and were big time playmakers.

Seems there is only one common denominator with these "bad attitudes." McD wanted everything kept behind closed doors before, but when he needs the fans on his side.... its pushed to public. He knew that Marshall was saying he was hurt and wasn't going to play.... so he gives this "accountability" speech on Wednesday... just before he gives his "pre-emptive" strike by sitting Marshall before Marshall tell him he can't play. Mature.

This is the same thing we've seen from this coach.... immaturity trying to justify his inability to get along with people..... and its ALWAYS the other guy and his "bad attitude." He doesn't do anything. He just "picks up the phone" and gives speeches on accountability. None of these problems are his fault at ALLL.. its always the other guy.

Amazing how he came to a team that all the playmakers just had sooooo much "attitude."

Its all just a coincidence. None of it is McDaniels.

Biz1
01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
When it ws the Cutler debacle, it was all Cutler because Cutler didn't even know McD... and Cutler had a 'bad attitude.' Now, these players know McD, and they have a 'bad attitude.' Cutler, Scheff and Hillis never seemed to have a "bad attitude" with previous coaches... and were big time playmakers.

Seems there is only one common denominator with these "bad attitudes." McD wanted everything kept behind closed doors before, but when he needs the fans on his side.... its pushed to public. He knew that Marshall was saying he was hurt and wasn't going to play.... so he gives this "accountability" speech on Wednesday... just before he gives his "pre-emptive" strike by sitting Marshall before Marshall tell him he can't play. Mature.

This is the same thing we've seen from this coach.... immaturity trying to justify his inability to get along with people..... and its ALWAYS the other guy and his "bad attitude." He doesn't do anything. He just "picks up the phone" and gives speeches on accountability. None of these problems are his fault at ALLL.. its always the other guy.

Amazing how he came to a team that all the playmakers just had sooooo much "attitude."

This is a disturbing pattern, you can ill-afford to have a HC people don't want to play for...good players in particular. How many bridges will McD burn before he finally figures out how to handle his own players?. Every team has "problem" players, but you rarely see teams having the "problem" players affecting the team as a whole.

I like what I see from McD(for the most part)on the field, but he better get it together off of it...that's his responsibility as a HC. If he can't handle his own players properly(and Hillis needs to be playing at least as a lead blocker or something)then he isn't suited to be in his position.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
This is a disturbing pattern, you can ill-afford to have a HC people don't want to play for...good players in particular. How many bridges will McD burn before he finally figures out how to handle his own players?. Every team has "problem" players, but you rarely see teams having the "problem" players affecting the team as a whole.

I like what I see from McD(for the most part)on the field, but he better get it together off of it...that's his responsibility as a HC. If he can't handle his own players properly(and Hillis needs to be playing at least as a lead blocker or something)then he isn't suited to be in his position.

I think his football mind is sound.

I think, honestly, that this is a case of the 'young' manager coming to the new branch and being told/asked to manage a bunch of people that he doesn't know, has never worked with, but is younger than.

So he PUSHEs his authority on them in order to get control. He gets all 'bossy' and orders people around ... "MY WAY IS THE WAY".. shouting loud and clear. Now, instead of getting along with the employees at the new branch, he's going to simply fire them and hire NEW employees so that he doesn't have 'manage' employees that were hired by the previous boss. Feeling if HE hires the employees, it gives him immediate authority.

Its comfort zone, its common with young managers, but its immaturity. He's a young, immature, coach that is teething with the Broncos. Learnng to cut his teeth, and in the process is doing the "blame" game. NOTHING is his fault, he doesn't do anything wrong, its ALLLLL the employees fault. "LOOK LOOK, I didn't do anything, I just picked up the phone"... "LOOK LOOK, Its Marshall... he has an attitude problem"... "Look Look, its SCheff.. he has an attitude problem." NEVER is it McD taking accountability (ironically). Its always the players, its always them, its never me.

And you see that with a LOT of young people put in managerial positions, because they don't have the confidence and maturity to take the pressure ON them without pushing the blame elsewhere. He's cocky, he's arrogant... but doesn't have the maturity (yet) to take adversity without pointing the fingers.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Is this the state of today's NFL....who runs the team, the coach or the players??

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Is this the state of today's NFL....who runs the team, the coach or the players??

I dont' think thats the question. Thats not whats going on.

Coaches can't force players to play if hurt. So how is it not taking 'accountability' if you dont play when hurt? Where do you see anyone, any player, trying to run the team?

Northman
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Burger King wrapper, nuff said.

broken12
01-02-2010, 12:13 PM

wrong, cutler had come in and was working with mcd for two weeks, cutler went on air 850koa and said that he couldnt wait to play in his system and that he was a great offensive mind! cutler was told to take some time off, cutler wanted to stay and do some studying and get more of the playbook in, mcd didnt want nothing to do with him at this time, due to mcd working the phone lines trying to get cassell! thats really trying to work with players huh, backstabbbing a player who goes to the air waves and says good things about you!

Nomad
01-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I dont' think thats the question. Thats not whats going on.

Coaches can't force players to play if hurt. So how is it not taking 'accountability' if you dont play when hurt? Where do you see anyone, any player, trying to run the team?

Just an overall question!! Never said HC's can play doctor, but I've noticed HCs don't have the respect and authority they did 20 yrs ago and beyond!!

Northman
01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
So far, the Broncos have spent the last 25 years, spanning four coaches, trying to find a wide receiver like Marshall. They found one, Marshall.

Don't get me wrong, Smith was one of my favorite Broncos. He worked his ass off, but he did not have the talent to ever be considered one of the top tier WR's in the game.

We got lucky and hit the lottery with Marshall, and because of a my way or the highway approach, he is likely going to hit the highway next season.

Part of coaching in the NFL is knowing how to deal with and communicate with young, head strong players that are rolling in money for the first time in their life. Our rookie HC clearly doesn't have those skills yet, but hopefully he will develop them sooner rather than later.

Give me a Smith over a Marshall anyday of the week.

SoCalImport
01-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I still think that JMCD is going to be good for the broncos.
My only problem with the way he's handles things is his not keeping things in house and behind closed doors.
I realize that it's part of the job description for a HC to deal with the media, but when you have potentially inflammatory or embarrassing situations happening, THOSE don't need to be offered up to to media as appetizers....please.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Just an overall question!! Never said HC's can play doctor, but I've noticed HCs don't have the respect and authority they did 20 yrs ago and beyond!!

well. yeah. Thats true. But society has changed as well. Kids don't show the same kind of respect to their teachers or parents as they did 20 years ago. Look how the media has changed. Back in the day, presidents would have affairs and it would be something the media wouldn't talk about. Heck, presidents would dress as women, and they woudln't report it due to 'respect' for the president. Now they will do anything they can to embarrass and humiliate anyone. Movie stars would have open houses and live in everyday apartment buildings. Now they can't because of people shooting them and the media stalking them.

The NFL is a business now. No longer are players simply owned commodities. The players have a right to protect themselves (and their money) as much as the owners do. As a result, players don't simply accept "You'll do this no matter what" type of talk. Twenty years ago, you would play with broken bones, concussions, and the what-not simply because the owner said so. Not any more.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
My only problem with the way he's handles things is his not keeping things in house and behind closed doors.
I realize that it's part of the job description for a HC to deal with the media, but when you have potentially inflammatory or embarrassing situations happening, THOSE don't need to be offered up to to media as appetizers....please.

I think he does, when it suites him. In this situation, I honestly believe he's using the media to get fan support because Marshall isn't going to be a Bronco next season.

Northman
01-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Josh will learn from that. But, like i stated in my initial post. BB doesnt put up with flava clowns either no matter who it is. At the end of the day its McD's team and he can run it how he best sees fit. If that means he needs to call out players for not stepping up in crunch time than thats what he will do. Marshall isnt the virgin mary when it comes to being honest so ill take McD's word over Brandon right now. Like you said, i think ultimately Denver is heading in the right direction and if certain players dont want to be a part of that than see ya later. I just hope all the fair weathered fans go with them.

broncophan
01-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Kind of refreshing to see a head coach "win out" over spoiled players for a change.No player, or coach for that matter, is bigger or better than the bronco organization.Me players suck.....and Marshall will be missed.....Sheff....not so much.Everyone can be replaced though....As a fan, I will continue to support the coach ...hopefully McD realizes he can be replaced as well...

Lonestar
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Been a fan of this team for 50plus years and outside of John, TD and Eddie Mac.. every player that has retired or left has been replaceable..

every one has been replaced with the same value to the team ..

I used Eddie Mac as a example of a total team player that would in some cases get up after a truly bone jarring tackle dust himself off, rearriange all the equipment (gonads included) that was dislodged and trot back to the huddle.. doing this game after game.. so far no one has replaced this kind of player..

Marshall can only dream of being the team player he was..

broken12
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
All but buried amid the Brandon Marshall drama is Broncos coach Josh McDan- iels' benching of tight end Tony Scheffler for the game Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs for a non-injury-related reason.

"I'm a competitor and have worked extremely hard this offseason to be able to fight for a chance to make the playoffs," Scheffler said Friday. "Him taking that away doesn't sit very well with me or some of my teammates."

Scheffler has been frustrated by his reduced role this season — he has 31 catches for 416 yards in 15 games, after catching 40 passes for 645 yards in 13 games last year.

He apparently expressed his frustration to a few teammates after the Broncos' 30-27 loss last Sunday to Philadelphia, and

Denver Broncos

Fans, sign up now for Broncos Premium, our website offering don't-miss news, analysis and features only available to registered users. It's free!

View slide show of Broncos wide receiver Brandom Marshall.
View slide show of Broncos-Eagles game Dec. 27.
Find analysis and notes from the gridiron and locker room on the All Things Broncos blog.
Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag.
Evaluate the latest team numbers on the Broncos Stats Page.
Post photos of your team spirit.
Pore over Broncos '09 schedule.
word got back to coach Josh McDaniels.

Scheffler was informed Wednesday by an assistant coach that he would not be dressing for the game Sunday against the Chiefs and would spend the week of practice on the scout squad.

"To be honest, I haven't even heard from Josh," Scheffler said

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14108873#ixzz0bTcgKsMp

broncophan
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Been a fan of this team for 50plus years and outside of John, TD and Eddie Mac.. every player that has retired or left has been replaceable..

I used Eddie Mac as a example of a total team player that would in some cases get up after a truly bone jarring tackle dust himself off, rearriange all the equipment (gonads included) that was dislodged and trot back to the huddle.. doing this game after game.. so far no one has replaced this kind of player..

Well said.....on the defensive side.....I would include Mecklenburg as well....be ready to play every game day.....keep your mouth shut.........and leave it all out on the field......week after week....

Nomad
01-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Damn Jr, I haven't even reached 40 yrs old yet!!:D I kid, I kid!

Good post though!!

broncophan
01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Damn Jr, I haven't even reached 40 yrs old yet!!:D I kid, I kid!

Good post though!!

I was going to comment on his age.....but he and I just became "friends" on here.....and I did not want him to get mad at me......lol..
That.....and he is a mod as well......:)

dogfish
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Give me a Smith over a Marshall anyday of the week.

we don't have a rod smith, will you settle for jabar gaffney?

:laugh:

dogfish
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I was going to comment on his age.....but he and I just became "friends" on here.....and I did not want him to get mad at me......lol..
That.....and he is a mod as well......:)

JR's old as the hills, no reason for him to get mad about it. . . . :D

Northman
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
we don't have a rod smith, will you settle for jabar gaffney?

:laugh:

Jabar is ok, but i think we all know he isnt a go to guy. But then again he isnt a headcase either.

dogfish
01-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Jabar is ok, but i think we all know he isnt a go to guy. But then again he isnt a headcase either.

as i said in my first post in the thread, it looks like we're not going to have a go-to guy in the passing game next year-- not unless royal is ready for that role, and nothing about the way he and orton performed together this year says that eddie's ready. . . i don't see any go-to receivers available in free agency even if the CBA is signed and all those RFAs-to-be suddenly become UFAs. . . and you sure can't count on drafting a receiver and having him step into that role right away. . .

nope. . . with marshall and scheffler gone, this team will almost HAVE to lean more on the running game next year, and the running game will need to be a LOT more effective than it was this season if we expect to be competitive. . .

i'd still like to see us draft golden tate if we get a high pick in exchange for marshall, though. . .

Northman
01-02-2010, 02:44 PM
as i said in my first post in the thread, it looks like we're not going to have a go-to guy in the passing game next year-- not unless royal is ready for that role, and nothing about the way he and orton performed together this year says that eddie's ready. . . i don't see any go-to receivers available in free agency even if the CBA is signed and all those RFAs-to-be suddenly become UFAs. . . and you sure can't count on drafting a receiver and having him step into that role right away. . .

nope. . . with marshall and scheffler gone, this team will almost HAVE to lean more on the running game next year, and the running game will need to be a LOT more effective than it was this season if we expect to be competitive. . .

i'd still like to see us draft golden tate if we get a high pick in exchange for marshall, though. . .

Im sure a lot of things will improve next year. Its still a work in progress but the first thing is getting players to buy into what your trying to accomplish. At the end of the day i just dont think Brandon is really a team guy. I just see him going down the road as Terrell Owens as a mercenary for hire.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Im sure a lot of things will improve next year. Its still a work in progress but the first thing is getting players to buy into what your trying to accomplish. At the end of the day i just dont think Brandon is really a team guy. I just see him going down the road as Terrell Owens as a mercenary for hire.

It seems that way. Maybe he's bipolar, one day he's fine and the next, creates a dilemma! Sounds alot like TO!! I want to trust the young man, but his track record puts serious doubt on his character!!

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 03:11 PM
It seems that way. Maybe he's bipolar, one day he's fine and the next, creates a dilemma! Sounds alot like TO!! I want to trust the young man, but his track record puts serious doubt on his character!!

I read this, and didn't know if you were talking about Marshall or McDaniels.

Nomad
01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I read this, and didn't know if you were talking about Marshall or McDaniels.

Well, considering Shanahan even mentioned to part ways with Marshall says alot about Marshall's character!! So I guess I was talking about Marshall

Ziggy
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM

TO never really had much trouble off the field. At this point, I'd say Marshall compares more to Pacman Jones.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, considering Shanahan even mentioned to part ways with Marshall says alot about Marshall's character!! So I guess I was talking about Marshall

actually.. Shanahan denied that rumor.

But your quote absolutely fits both people.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM

What a shame that all the supposed "me" players are also the "good" players.

Ziggy
01-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Clady, Champ, Dawk, DJ, Harris, Kuper, Doom, and a few others say otherwise, but nice try.

Northman
01-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Out of the 4 only one is truly proven but he has a checkered past both off and on the field. The other 3 are average players right now so i would be careful with the "good" or "great" labels.

pnbronco
01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Clady, Champ, Dawk, DJ, Harris, Kuper, Doom, and a few others say otherwise, but nice try.

Also I would think those other 49 have done something right to make the final cut.

from wiki.com...

Assuming one high school for every 25,000 people in the US, that makes 12,000 high school football teams. With one 40 man football team at each school that makes 480,000 NFL hopefulls between the ages of 15-18. So if you can make your high school football team there's a .5% chance you can make the NFL.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Champ and Dawk are old vets and will be retired in the next 2-3 years. With the way we're attempting to clean house from all the Shanny guys, how much longer do you really think the others will stay? You can only treat your players like shit for so long before they tell you to F off. Oh wait, didn't McD just get done calling out the O-line (instead of his own coaching) as our biggest problem? Well, that sounds like Kuper and Clady to me! Oh, and he called out the defense to the media too for the 3rd and 25... that's aimed at DJ and Doom.

It's one thing to say you played poorly as a team during press conferences, it's completely different to call out individual players or units. That is just not what a leader does. McD's pressers remind me of Bill Callahan calling his own team the "dumbest team in the NFL". Remember that? Even the guys that aren't personally targeted will get tired of being ragged on to the media. They'll get tired of being a laughing stock in the media and the league. NONE OF THESE PLAYERS ARE FANS! THERE IS NO LOYALTY IN THE NFL! They'll go somewhere else if they don't like playing here and the good ones will get paid the same by someone else. What's so hard to understand about all this?

If your boss always talked openly about your shortcomings at work, would you still want to work for him? What if it wasn't you directly, just your department, or a co-worker? The point is, McDaniels isn't handling this well at all. If we can all see it, the players can too. Like dogfish said earlier, even if McD has something personal against Marshall, airing it out to the world isn't going to do the BRONCOS any favors. Neither his trade value nor the feelings of the other players about the organization are benefitted by his childish tantrums and public, which should be private, way of dealing with the players. Any way you spin it, that hurts the TEAM not just Marshall.

Dzone
01-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Just watched this video on nfl.com...it left me liking McDaniels a whole lot LESS. All 3 commentators said McD went over the line in his press conference and handling of Marshall/Scheffler...It is clear that mcdaniels is not ready to be an NFL coach and he is simply too young and immature for such a huge responsibility. Mike Shanahan was a coach that people wanted to play for. Mcdaniels is becoming a coach with a bad reputation around the league and we will no longer be the plum franchise to play for as in the past. Has Mcdaniels done enough to warrant being fired? Coaches have been let go for less. Of course McD wont get fired for his poor handling of this, but I wish he would get fired. I for one am tired of the drama he seems to enjoy stirring up. They even commented on his blase' scratching of his head while dissing Marshall. Not only are his off field mistakes obvious, but I have never seen more questionable and poor on field decisions in one season. FIRE MCDANIELS!!!!!!....
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8156b546/More-Marshall-drama

Ziggy
01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Champ and Dawk are old vets and will be retired in the next 2-3 years. With the way we're attempting to clean house from all the Shanny guys, how much longer do you really think the others will stay? You can only treat your players like shit for so long before they tell you to F off. Oh wait, didn't McD just get done calling out the O-line (instead of his own coaching) as our biggest problem? Well, that sounds like Kuper and Clady to me! Oh, and he called out the defense to the media too for the 3rd and 25... that's aimed at DJ and Doom.

It's one thing to say you played poorly as a team during press conferences, it's completely different to call out individual players or units. That is just not what a leader does. McD's pressers remind me of Bill Callahan calling his own team the "dumbest team in the NFL". Remember that? Even the guys that aren't personally targeted will get tired of being ragged on to the media. They'll get tired of being a laughing stock in the media and the league. NONE OF THESE PLAYERS ARE FANS! THERE IS NO LOYALTY IN THE NFL! They'll go somewhere else if they don't like playing here and the good ones will get paid the same by someone else. What's so hard to understand about all this?

If your boss always talked openly about your shortcomings at work, would you still want to work for him? What if it wasn't you directly, just your department, or a co-worker? The point is, McDaniels isn't handling this well at all. If we can all see it, the players can too. Like dogfish said earlier, even if McD has something personal against Marshall, airing it out to the world isn't going to do the BRONCOS any favors. Neither his trade value nor the feelings of the other players about the organization are benefitted by his childish tantrums and public, which should be private, way of dealing with the players. Any way you spin it, that hurts the TEAM not just Marshall.

The Broncos aren't trying to clean house from all the Shanny guys, just the ones that are me first players, and are lacking the talent to make a difference in the NFL. As far as my boss talking about my shortcomings at work, it doesn't happen because whether he likes me or not, I do my job well and maintain my professionalism at all times. If I didn't, I wouldn't deserve or expect my boss to treat me well.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 08:57 PM
The Broncos aren't trying to clean house from all the Shanny guys, just the ones that are me first players, and are lacking the talent to make a difference in the NFL. As far as my boss talking about my shortcomings at work, it doesn't happen because whether he likes me or not, I do my job well and maintain my professionalism at all times. If I didn't, I wouldn't deserve or expect my boss to treat me well.

I guess that means pro-bowlers? Gee whiz. I surely do hope we continue to bring in those high character, low output guys like Orton, Gaffney, Jordan, Hochstein, and Berger because they're really surpassing the performance of last year of guys like Marshall, Cutler, Kern, Hillis, and Scheffler who have all been alienated and are on their way out if not already gone. Man, that Hillis clown sure is a "me-first" kinda guy! Screw that guy ever seeing the field! And I'm so glad we cut that Kern guy, he was always just bitching about his contract and kicking those long punts!

Shucks, McD's guys are so darn "high character/non-me first" players that maybe they can do interviews about what what a great coach McD is, and hand out candy to the kids on 3rd downs instead of actually converting them? That would be great!

Can you tell I'm being sarcastic? If you clear out the talented players we do have, we don't win games. Personally, I don't give a rats-ass if Marshall punches McD in the face at every practice and drowns kittens in his spare time! He's our best player. Having him on the roster is better for the TEAM! Once again, all of you who blame folks for loving one player over the TEAM are doing it yourselves! There's no way losing Marshall and Scheffler makes this team better - NO WAY!

Your McDaniels is showing...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Man Zig, you just must be the ideal employee! What a shame that most humans aren't perfect like you and are prone to voice their displeasure, especially with their boss if they think he's treating them unfairly. Not you, though. You're a Saint, obviously.

You never did answer my questions about your co-workers. WOuld it be okay with you if the boss called them out publicly for screwing something up, especially if he did little to guide them as a leader or mentor? You know you wouldn't like it either, but hey you're obviously the "Employee of the Month" every month so what the hell do you care?

Ziggy
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I guess that means pro-bowlers? Gee whiz. I surely do hope we continue to bring in those high character, low output guys like Orton, Gaffney, Jordan, Hochstein, and Berger because they're really surpassing the performance of last year of guys like Marshall, Cutler, Kern, Hillis, and Scheffler who have all been alienated and are on their way out if not already gone. Man, that Hillis clown sure is a "me-first" kinda guy! Screw that guy ever seeing the field! And I'm so glad we cut that Kern guy, he was always just bitching about his contract and kicking those long punts!

Shucks, McD's guys are so darn "high character/non-me first" players that maybe they can do interviews about what what a great coach McD is, and hand out candy to the kids on 3rd downs instead of actually converting them? That would be great!

Can you tell I'm being sarcastic? If you clear out the talented players we do have, we don't win games. Personally, I don't give a rats-ass if Marshall punches McD in the face at every practice and drowns kittens in his spare time! He's our best player. Having him on the roster is better for the TEAM! Once again, all of you who blame folks for loving one player over the TEAM are doing it yourselves! There's no way losing Marshall and Scheffler makes this team better - NO WAY!

Your McDaniels is showing...

Well, I guess someone had to replace Lex eventually.

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Personally, I don't give a rats-ass if Marshall punches McD in the face at every practice and drowns kittens in his spare time! He's our best player. Having him on the roster is better for the TEAM!

I think you just exited yourself from the conversation. If punching the head coach at every pactice is acceptable, then why do you even need a head coach? Just send the players out there and let them draw up their own game-plan. Certainly if that behavior is acceptable, any conceivable form of insubordination is acceptable to you as well.

Well, not to me, and not to any organization that plans on having success on any level.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Just watched this video on nfl.com...it left me liking McDaniels a whole lot LESS. All 3 commentators said McD went over the line in his press conference and handling of Marshall/Scheffler...It is clear that mcdaniels is not ready to be an NFL coach and he is simply too young and immature for such a huge responsibility. Mike Shanahan was a coach that people wanted to play for. Mcdaniels is becoming a coach with a bad reputation around the league and we will no longer be the plum franchise to play for as in the past. Has Mcdaniels done enough to warrant being fired? Coaches have been let go for less. Of course McD wont get fired for his poor handling of this, but I wish he would get fired. I for one am tired of the drama he seems to enjoy stirring up. They even commented on his blase' scratching of his head while dissing Marshall. Not only are his off field mistakes obvious, but I have never seen more questionable and poor on field decisions in one season. FIRE MCDANIELS!!!!!!....
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8156b546/More-Marshall-drama

Everyone on the boards should watch this video.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I think you just exited yourself from the conversation. If punching the head coach at every pactice is acceptable, then why do you even need a head coach? Just send the players out there and let them draw up their own game-plan. Certainly if that behavior is acceptable, any conceivable form of insubordination is acceptable to you as well.

Well, not to me, and not to any organization that plans on having success on any level.

My point was this, I DON'T CARE WHAT HE DOES OFF THE FIELD! He's not my son and he doesn't represent my morals or ideals. Sorry that I had to spell it out for you. I figured most people could figure out that I wasn't seriously saying he could punch the coach in the face. But he probably should...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM

And I guess someone has to keep his head in McD's rectum even though half of this board, and most of the media think he's dead-assed wrong. It's okay though. You're not the only one.

dogfish
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
come on fellas, simmer down-- it's just football talk. . . .

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
My point was this, I DON'T CARE WHAT HE DOES OFF THE FIELD! He's not my son and he doesn't represent my morals or ideals. Sorry that I had to spell it out for you. I figured most people could figure out that I wasn't seriously saying he could punch the coach in the face. But he probably should...

I'm not talking about what he does off the field either. We're talking about practice and game time.

It's highly important for any team to be successful that the players follow the lead of the Head Coach. You can't have everyone free-lancing and doing their own thing. Even if they have the talent to get away with it individually, they hurt the effort and productivity of the rest of the team who needs the practice and cohesion to perform on Sunday.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm not talking about what he does off the field either. We're talking about practice and game time.

It's highly important for any team to be successful that the players follow the lead of the Head Coach. You can't have everyone free-lancing and doing their own thing. Even if they have the talent to get away with it individually, they hurt the effort and productivity of the rest of the team who needs the practice and cohesion to perform on Sunday.

Sooo, this all stemmed from Marshall playing poorly on Sundays or not practicing well? Funny, I thought it was about Marshall tweaking a hammy at practice, McD telling him it was nothing and that he should play, Marshall telling McD I can't go, and McD calling him out to the media and questioning his integrity and his toughness.

If this was about him not following McDaniels on a football related matter that won't potentially lead to further injury, I must have missed it. My apologies.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
come on fellas, simmer down-- it's just football talk. . . .

I <3 U dogfish. ;)

Reidman
01-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Seems to me that McD is too emotionally invested in this team. Don't get me wrong, emotions are good and I love his fiery attitude on the sidelines during gameday. But you have to check all that at the door when addressing the players and media off the field.

I think his coaching skills are taking a back seat to his youth right now...

Unfortunately all of this is a learning and growing experience at the expense of the Bronco's organization...

Lonestar
01-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Sooo, this all stemmed from Marshall playing poorly on Sundays or not practicing well? Funny, I thought it was about Marshall tweaking a hammy at practice, McD telling him it was nothing and that he should play, Marshall telling McD I can't go, and McD calling him out to the media and questioning his integrity and his toughness.

If this was about him not following McDaniels on a football related matter that won't potentially lead to further injury, I must have missed it. My apologies.

so it was alright for Mike to do this but not Josh..

just need to be clear on this.

Dzone
01-03-2010, 05:26 AM
So far public opinion, in and out of broncoland, is overwhelmingly on the side of saying Mcdaniels was TOTALLY out of line. Of course there are going to be those who would jump off a building if Mcdaniels told them to do so.

Superchop 7
01-03-2010, 09:38 AM

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Hammer hits nail.

Excellent post.

Northman
01-03-2010, 09:49 AM

:lol:
Ouch.

Biz1
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Originally Posted by Biz1 View Post

Hammer hits nail.

Excellent post.

TY for the props. It's painfully obvious that the 2 were not on speaking terms before this latest incident. This whole scenario is backwards, the media should be a last resort(if even at all)only after HC and player have a sit-down. Comments were responded to by Marshall before he even knew what McD previously stated, thereby adding to the entire mess unintentionally.

Nomad
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
We know Marshall won't end up in Chicago because they don't have a 1st and 3rd to give up this year!! With reports from many sources on tv and the interweb, after today, the BRONCOS need to start shopping around Marshall and Scheffler and get the best bargain or do they have to wait until the NFL season is over. I don't really know how the offseason works. But pretty much Marshall and Schef's go, mineaswell look towards the future!!

Trade them to the Lions!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
We know Marshall won't end up in Chicago because they don't have a 1st and 3rd to give up this year!! With reports from many sources on tv and the interweb, after today, the BRONCOS need to start shopping around Marshall and Scheffler and get the best bargain or do they have to wait until the NFL season is over. I don't really know how the offseason works. But pretty much Marshall and Schef's go, mineaswell look towards the future!!

Trade them to the Lions!!

The value of Marshall is also dependent on how willing McD is to get rid of him. How many times have we seen guys who are considered "locker room problems" go for much less than their street value? Randy Moss garnered a 4th round pick! Others who were franchised and thought to be worth at least a first if not a 1st and 3rd have gone for a second round pick. If McD wants him gone, he'll deal him cheaper just to get him off the team.

Marshall is going to end up in Washington with Shanny, anyway. Santana Moss is getting older and Marshall would be a huge boost to Campbell's improved development. Dan Snyder hasn't been stingy with money, either. Marshall will get paid and re-unite with Shanahan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scheffler end up there, too. Marshall and their new WR ( I forget his name now but he's a big body, too) would make a significant duo for years with Randle El in the slot and/or Cooley and Scheffler in a double TE set. Could be scary if you ask me.

Nomad
01-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Shanahan doesn't want Marshall...I'd put the bank on it!! Scheff, I would say yes!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Shanahan doesn't want Marshall...I'd put the bank on it!! Scheff, I would say yes!!

You just never know. Wasn't it Shanny who was accused of coddling Marshall in the first place? Maybe the 100 catch/season production and already knowing Shanny's scheme is worth dealing with some of the headaches that marshall brings. In the end, it's all about winning and coaches will deal with attitude cases to win. If not guys like TO, Moss, Ochocinco, Marshall, even Chris Henry (RIP) would've been out of a job long ago. it's not just coaches. Owners want players who are going to put fans in the stands and $ in their pockets. Snyder and Jones are the worst at this. I don't think it will change much, regardless of who their coaches are. Shanahan will chase a fat payday to DC and if Snyder wants B Marsh bad enough, Shanny will concede. It's not like Shanny hasn't taken a flyer on what folks consider "bad eggs" before, even if he knew them personally.

Rmember, Shanny won't be the GM in DC and won't have ultimate power like he did here. That job's already been filled and Allen is no coach's puppet like Shanny always had as a GM. I'm sure he'll have a say but Snyder and Allen will be handling all the money matters. It will be Shanny's job to make winners out of who they bring in.

Tned-Mobile
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Marshall, Scheffler and Hillis to Washington with Shanny.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

That's what I'm thinking, Tned. Maybe we'll get lucky and the Pats will be willing to trade us Adalius Thomas seeing as how he and Bellichick haven't seen eye to eye much lately. That might be some consolation. Thomas and Doom/Ayers would be Su-weet!

I've been trying to figure out how many worthwhile Pats might be up for trade/FAs this offseason (seeing as how that's where the majority of a our body pool is likely to come from).

Nomad
01-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Chris Cooley is just as good as Scheff!! He can have Marshall for Laron landry, a 1st and 3rd, and Hillis for a 4th....if he wants them that bad!! I believe Shanny wouldn't want Marshall!!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Chris Cooley is just as good as Scheff!! He can have Marshall for Laron landry, a 1st and 3rd, and Hillis for a 4th....if he wants them that bad!! I believe Shanny wouldn't want Marshall!!

Their defense is their strength. I don't see them trading away landry, even for B marsh when they could probably have him for a 1st or even a 2nd. Washington has been very cavalier with trading away draft picks and making splashes in FA. I don't see why that would change now, Shanny did the same thing. As for Scheff, we all saw what happened to Cooley this year. I also don't know what's up with Cooley's contract situation. Scheffler would probably be cheaper to sign long term without a lot of drop in production. They have Baker, too. he could end up as trade bait after this season where he proved somewhat productive. Coaches like "their guys". Shanny drafted him and I bet he'll get him. It's no different than McD here bringing in "his players".