PDA

View Full Version : Broncos founder, Bob Howsam, died

BOSSHOGG30
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Broncos | Howsam dies
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:15:24 -0800

The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos founder Bob Howsam died Tuesday, Feb. 19. The 89-year-old Howsam suffered from heart problems.

BOSSHOGG30
02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Robert Lee Howsam (born February 28, 1918 in Denver, Colorado - February 19, 2008 in Sun City, Arizona) was a former executive in American professional sport who, in 1959, played a key role in establishing two leagues – the American Football League, which succeeded and merged with the National Football League, and baseball's Continental League, which never played a game but forced expansion of Major League Baseball from 16 to 20 teams in 1961-62.

Along with his brother, Earl Howsam, and father, Lee Howsam, he founded the Denver Broncos, one of the eight charter members of the AFL. (The Howsams and the seven other original owners called themselves "The Foolish Club" for daring to take on the established NFL). The Howsams also built Bears Stadium, which after renovation and expanded capacity became famous as the Broncos' noisy, raucous and perpetually sold-out home from 1960-2001, Mile High Stadium.

The Broncos played in the AFL from 1960-69 and then joined the NFL with completion of the NFL/AFL merger in 1970. Apart from a 7-7 season in 1962, the team suffered from poor results on the field, and the Howsam family sold the Broncos in 1964 to Gerald and Alan Phipps. But it was developing a loyal fan base, and since its first Super Bowl appearance in 1977, the Broncos have become one of the most successful operations in the NFL.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Zam is mourning somewhere in AZ right now.

topscribe
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Article from the Denver Post:

Broncos founder Howsam dies at 89

By Dan Elliott
The Associated Press

Article Last Updated: 02/19/2008 01:55:45 PM MST

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0219/20080219__HowsamFile%7Ep1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1834086 )
Bob Howsam, in an undated photo
as president and general manager
of the Denver Bears. (Post file photo.)

Related Articles
Apr 24:
Mr. Big Red Machine (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3742636)Bob Howsam, who co-founded the Denver Broncos and helped bring
major-league baseball to Colorado, died Tuesday in Sun City, Ariz.
He was 89.

Howsam also assembled the Big Red Machine in Cincinnati and helped put
the St. Louis Cardinals to a World Series. He had heart problems, said his
son, Robert Howsam of Colorado Springs.

In a career that bridged two sports and several leagues, Howsam's guiding
principle was that the fans came first, his son said.

"He loved the fans. They made his life," the son said.

Howsam started his sports career in 1947 as owner of the Denver Bears of
the Single-A Western League, later taking the team to Triple-A as a New
York Yankees affiliate, his son said.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0219/20080219__BOBHOWSAM%7Ep1_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1834064 )Bob Howsam, poses for a
portrait in his home office in
Sun City, Ariz. in April 2006.
(Will Powers, AP)

Howsam helped found the American Football League in 1959 and was
principal owner of the Broncos. He founded the Broncos with his father Earl
Howsam and brother Lee Howsam in 1959. They later sold their stake in the
team to Gerald Phipps and Cal Kunz, in 1961.

"Bob Howsam played a very important part in the founding of this great
franchise, at the very beginning of the American Football League," Broncos
owner Pat Bowlen said. "He put together the very first Denver Broncos team
and brought pro football to Denver. Our thoughts and prayers are with the
Howsam family at this difficult time."

Howsam became general manager of the Cardinals in 1964, the year they
beat the New York Yankees in the World Series.

In 1967 he became general manager of the Reds and is credited with
building the Big Red Machine that won two World Series titles, four NL
pennants and six division titles in the 1970s.

"He put together an organization that became the model for all of baseball,"
said Bob Castellini, the Reds president and chief executive officer.

Howsam later was a member of the Colorado Baseball Commission, which
helped bring the Rockies and major league baseball to Denver.

Howsam was nominated for the Hall of Fame in the executives/pioneers
category last year but fell short of the 75 percent of votes required for
admission.

Robert Howsam said his father lived in a retirement home in Sun City with
his wife, Janet Howsam. He would have turned 90 later this month.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8305102

-----

Amid the glory of all the sports stars, one might be tempted to regard
Howsam as a minor figure, but he was a giant, especially in Denver. Were
it not for him, we may not have had a Denver Broncos to root for.

-----

Watchthemiddle
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
R.I.P.

:salute:

SR
02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
For those of you who didn't know, Bob Howsam is my great, great uncle. I found out about this today when I got back to the states and talked to my dad. Not good news. A lot of my family is very, very upset right now.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-21-2008, 01:09 AM
For those of you who didn't know, Bob Howsam is my great, great uncle. I found out about this today when I got back to the states and talked to my dad. Not good news. A lot of my family is very, very upset right now.

I remember you telling me this bud, and I didn't want to mention your name - but I hope all is well with your family. Keep your chin up. :salute:

SR
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I remember you telling me this bud, and I didn't want to mention your name - but I hope all is well with your family. Keep your chin up. :salute:

I'm not too upset about it. It's hard to be upset about someone who lived such a long, successful life.

Bronco Bible
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM

I thought I remembered your first (I think) thread @ BM asking if anyone knew of Mr. Howsam sorry for the loss:salute:

SR
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I thought I remembered your first (I think) thread @ BM asking if anyone knew of Mr. Howsam sorry for the loss:salute:

Yep.

I believe they're having his funeral in AZ. Lots of big names are expected to be there.

SR
02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
A lot of people don't know this, but one of Bob Howsam's sons was an executive producer for the movie Four Brothers and for Shooter.