PDA

View Full Version : Help Find Mike Leach's New Home

OrangeHoof
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Think of a once-storied football program that still wants to be a playah in the National Championship race but has been down on their luck lately that has a desperate desire to start winning again - and soon. Well, there's a coach available now if they are willing to tolerate a quirky outlaw type and can overlook a little bit of player abuse.

Mike Leach is now for sale.

So, let's find him a new home. How about:

* Colorado - It seems the program is going nowhere under Dan Hawkins. But is Boulder too liberal for Leach? Recall how eager they were to drive out McCartney.

* Texas A&M - They may be happy with Mike Sherman but they THIRST to beat Texas and who can forget Leach ruining Texas' season last year? The player abuse won't faze them (remember The Junction Boys?) but they may be unhappy with a coach who has a blatant disregard for defense.

* Syracuse - Talk about a program on a losing streak. This once proud football power hasn't been good since Donovan McNabb left town. Would they be desperate enough to give Leach a try?

* Florida St. - Bowden's out and they've got a guy named Jumbo waiting in the wings. Seriously. They'll be happy to overlook player indescretions but can they afford to get a guy named Jumbo mad at them? Eh, probably not.

* Cincinnati - Now, this seems like a perfect fit. They've tolerated Bob Huggins as long as he won. It'll be a bit of a step down from Lubbock but he can own the town before long.

* ESPN - the eventual home for mouthy coaches who want to keep a high profile while they look for a new job. Just don't assign him to the same telecasts as Craig James.

BroncoAV06
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Cincy already has a coach, they went and hired the HC from Central Michigan again. I don't think any of those you listed are were he will end up. Late in the process so will have to see if any schools let there coaches go. I don't think he gets a "high profile" job right off the bat. I could see him going to a BCS conference but a school that has struggled ie Cuse but they just hired Doug Marrone last year so they are set.

Northman
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
A little player abuse. lol

frauschieze
12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd have something to add if it was the other Mike Leach.

OrangeHoof
12-31-2009, 06:08 PM
A little player abuse. lol

Seriously, if you win games and go to major bowls, a lot of schools will overlook locking a guy in a dark room for a few hours. It's not exactly Gitmo. If you lose, though, such allegations are the easy way to get sacked.

It was obvious Tech wanted Leach out and the James incident was just the excuse to do it. They were royally pissed that he went up to Washington last winter to interview for that job opening without telling his superiors. They signed him to a five-year deal just to keep him from straying again before they were ready to fire him but they were just looking for an excuse...and the proof is that they fired him just in time to keep from paying him $800,000 for coaching the Alamo Bowl.

Nomad
12-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Hopefully he goes to Washington State (I know don't hold your breath)

OrangeHoof
12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought about WSU but the problem with the PAC 10, the SEC and the Big 10 is that everyone's too equal so it makes it hard to find an administration desperate enough to hire him. They could be an optimal program though. They're used to being an outsider with a high-wire passing attack.

dogfish
01-08-2010, 01:49 AM
i vote CU-- the sleaze factor has tapered off a bit since barnett left, leach seems like an excellent candidate to take care of that. . .

Northman
01-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Seriously, if you win games and go to major bowls, a lot of schools will overlook locking a guy in a dark room for a few hours. It's not exactly Gitmo. If you lose, though, such allegations are the easy way to get sacked.

It was obvious Tech wanted Leach out and the James incident was just the excuse to do it. They were royally pissed that he went up to Washington last winter to interview for that job opening without telling his superiors. They signed him to a five-year deal just to keep him from straying again before they were ready to fire him but they were just looking for an excuse...and the proof is that they fired him just in time to keep from paying him $800,000 for coaching the Alamo Bowl.

It may not be Gitmo but its very unprofessional conduct. But then again, doesnt Texas Tech like Coaches who abuse players? Isnt Knight the coach of the basketball team? :lol:

Nomad
01-08-2010, 09:49 AM
WOW!! Even Jim Leavitt gets fired for alledgely harming a player!!

Gotta be tender with today's players:lol::tsk:

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2010, 10:22 AM
It may not be Gitmo but its very unprofessional conduct. But then again, doesnt Texas Tech like Coaches who abuse players? Isnt Knight the coach of the basketball team? :lol:

I was thinking about this last weekend. How is it that the school that hires Bobby Knight, the school that fires Mike Leach for mis-treating players.

Unreal.

elsid13
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Rumor is that Leach is going to coach Oakland. Al Davis like pirates too.

Overtime
01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I see him going to Kentucky or Cincinnati.

OrangeHoof
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Reminds me of a favorite Bobby Knight moment. He's coaching in the Big XII tournament and, during a timeout, Knight is holding a clipboard and standing in front of a bunch of players seated along the bench. Knight starts diagraming a play when the center starts drifting off into la-la land right in front of Knight and his clipboard. So Knight stops his strategy session and slams the clipboard into the center's lap. You can tell Knight is yelling "Pay attention!" at his center.

Just hilarious! Bet that player didn't take any more naps during timeouts.

Overtime
01-08-2010, 11:04 PM
wish Kansas would have waited to hire Turner Gill...I'd rather have Mike Leach any day!!!

Kansas should fire Turner Gill now, and go get Leach and turn Kansas into a powerhouse!!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Ummm...Knoxville?