PDA

View Full Version : Will you be disappointed without postseason?

blamkin86
12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
OK, yes of course we will be disappointed after the 6-0 start.

BUT: Thinking all the way back to the day when Bowlen announced Shanny's firing -

honestly - at that moment - did you think we would remotely have a chance of playing in the post season?

Yes it isn't perfect - the run just isn't established for a variety of reasons.

Yes we should have won AT LEAST two of the games we lost (Oak/Wash).

Based on the happenings between last season and this - are you really disappointed if we don't make the post season?

(I do think we'll win Sunday, I just don't see all the other stars aligning.)

:beer:

weazel
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
nope...

I am pretty excited we won as many as we did.

BroncoAV06
12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes. After a 6-0 start expectations should rise. True that more talent is needed as the defense builds a ture 3-4 front and offensive line but ts the NFL not college. You pay free agents to make a difference now. The Broncos had to retool but they were not Detriot or St. Lious.

I am not of the mind set that not making the playoffs means the team will look at its self and go man we need changes. A good organization should do that regaurdless.

broncophan
12-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Any long time bronco fans would tell you it is disappointing for the broncos not to make the playoffs......It is not too often that they go 3 or even 4 seasons in a row ....and don't go to the playoffs.

But with all the changes....it is not quite the disappointment as it normaly would be..

Grover
12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, I'll be disappointed. I'm never ready to see my Broncos stop playing for the year.

Plus, I always expect/hope this team will be a powerhouse each year, so I'm always expecting them to go far. Losing is always disappointing, even if you're beaten by a better team that is "supposed to win".

EastCoastBronco
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Of course I will be disappointed. It's why they play the games. The shit's chess, it ain't checkers. It's all about the "check mate"... Anything less than the Superbowl every year sucks the high hard one...

Tned-Mobile
12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I'll be disappointed. It's true that during the off-season, I figured that we had a reasonable chance to make the playoffs, but that would only be if a .500 record won the West again, as I figured we would win 7-9 games. If with our tough schedule, SD also wound up with around a .500 record, then we had a 'shot'.

However, once we got off to a 6-0 start, and new that we only needed to go .500 (or even a little worse) down the stretch to make it in. When we were sitting with three games left, and only needed to beat Oak and KC to get in, it will be hard not to be very disappointed if we don't make it.

Combine that with the fact that at times the losses have seemed to come either from being out coached or the players seeming to be unfocused or not playing 60 minutes, and it makes it worse.

If the team was being physically beat on both sides of the ball (as Detroit, KC often has been, etc.) it would be much easier to take not making the playoffs. However, the fact is that in several games (Indy, Philly, etc.) we started off flat, caught up, then couldn't close it out. Oakland, we allowed to hang around until Russel comes in and wins it.

Then you have to question the play calling. I don't see how you can make bubble screens your bread and butter play, and expect it to be successful. You can't allow the linebackers/DBs to compress down on the line as much as they can against Denver, because there is no fear of even intermediate depth pass plays.

So, while I will be excited about all the good we have seen this season and how it should translate into an exciting 2010, missing the playoffs will be very disappointing.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2009, 01:24 PM
100% yes because it was within our grasp but we failed to achive it. Even more fustrating is how passive the play calling on offense has been. We've been playing it way too safe and giving games away. It's as if Mcd was hoping to hang on for a play off spot rather than earning one. I don't buy into the we did better than we thought we would have opinion. That's BS this is the N.ot F.or L.ong league, we had an opportunity and it looks like we blew it. We had an opportunity to capitalize and failed...again. It's getting old.

Canmore
12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Yes! I will be extremely dissappointed. 6-0 and we don't make the playoffs...

OrangeHoof
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
No. I didn't expect much when the season began so it would be hypocritical to be upset that they didn't make the playoffs. If they finish 9-7 but miss the playoffs, it can still be viewed as something to build on. If they finish 8-8, then they need to figure out why this franchise can't win in December and try to fix it. But they can still look at all the changes they accomplished in Year One and see that they made a great deal of progress this year.

BroncoWave
12-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, I am always disappointed when we don't make the playoffs. If missing the playoffs doesn't disappoint you at least a little, then why are you a fan?

In-com-plete
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM

BUT: Thinking all the way back to the day when Bowlen announced Shanny's firing -

honestly - at that moment - did you think we would remotely have a chance of playing in the post season?

Based on the happenings between last season and this - are you really disappointed if we don't make the post season?

At the moment Shanny was fired, I thought we could make the playoffs.

After McD made his trades and drafted how he did, I thought we'd win 5, maybe 6 games.

After we started out 6-0, I would have bet my unborn childrens children we'd make the playoffs.

In the end, yes, I will be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. Because I feel that one big move that was made cost us atleast two wins which would have easily given us a wild card.

T.K.O.
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
what sucks is we now have to count on at least 2 of 3 teams that we beat to win so we can get in and 2 of them can coast and it wont matter to them if they win or lose.....booooooo:mad:

Shazam!
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
The Playoffs would be sweet but I want the 9th win in the worst way. A winning Season in McD's first year is definitely a building block for the future. SD won't be dominant forever despite what their delusional fans believe.

Now if the Broncos lose Sunday I'm gonna be REALLY PISSED.

T.K.O.
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
At the moment Shanny was fired, I thought we could make the playoffs.

After McD made his trades and drafted how he did, I thought we'd win 5, maybe 6 games.

After we started out 6-0, I would have bet my unborn childrens children we'd make the playoffs.

In the end, yes, I will be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. Because I feel that one big move that was made cost us atleast two wins which would have easily given us a wild card.

i agree having simms come in at qb cost us 2 games and maybe the playoffs!:D

SR
12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm going to be disappointed, but I'm pleased we did as well as we did. It's disappointing that we trailed off after starting 6-0, but when most people we picking us to have a losing season, finishing 9-7 would at least be an improvement.

girler
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm of two minds (which isn't surprising :lol:) on one hand, no one expected a super bowl season with the whole McCutlergate thing last spring.

OTOH, the 6-0 start really got my hopes up.

On another hand, the devastrating slide totally reminds me of 3 years ago when I was glad we didn't go to the play offs because we lost the last 3 games, then Darrent was shot, and the whole game was shot to hell along with him...

Ok, that's three minds. Or hands. :D

Northman
12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes and no. I think we really played better overall this year which of course is a good thing. However, losing the way we did down the stretch (especially the Raider game at home) is very disappointing. We had a chance at the postseason and blew it. But, i do see promise with this team and the mentality is starting to change so i do believe we are heading in the right direction.

bcbronc
12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
you have to be somewhat disappointed just because it is a home loss to Oakland that will likely be what keeps us out.

I'm also disappointed that our offense looked better in the first quarter of the season than in the last quarter. not how I expected it to go.

but with that said, the team still exceeded my pre-season expectations so the disappointment is not too bitter.

blamkin86
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Northman - I think you perfectly summed up my feelings. Thanks for posting.

red98
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM

I don't know about the day shanny was fired, but the day McD was hired I very much thought we'd be playoff bound. When he hired Nolan even more so.
(after some persuasive posts from G)

After "the trade" not so much, after 6-0 definitely.

Mcd's excellent job with this D was masterful. It makes the job with the O even harder to take.

He'll do better next year.

We still have a shot we just need a win at home and some luck.

I'm really dying to see a 17th game this year.

Nomad
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes and no. I think we really played better overall this year which of course is a good thing. However, losing the way we did down the stretch (especially the Raider game at home) is very disappointing. We had a chance at the postseason and blew it. But, i do see promise with this team and the mentality is starting to change so i do believe we are heading in the right direction.

Pretty much what you said!! I'm really disappointed in the Raiders loss and how the Chargers and Steelers came into Invesco and blew out the BRONCOS. I hope one day "homefield advantage" comes back to Denver!!!!

titan
12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
If you look at the season as a whole, no I'm not too disappointed. With experts like ESPN's John Clayton saying the Broncos would only win 3 games I think a 9 and 7 record is very good. I myself before the season said an 8-8 finish would be a success given the tough schedule and the number of offseason changes.

BUT after starting 6-0 I'm already disappointed that the Broncos are only 8 and 7 at this point. The Oakland loss was one of the most disappointing in years.

I'm expecting a win over KC and missing out on the playoffs.

pnbronco
12-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Pretty much what you said!! I'm really disappointed in the Raiders loss and how the Chargers and Steelers came into Invesco and blew out the BRONCOS. I hope one day "homefield advantage" comes back to Denver!!!!

North and SR you put it best in the way I feel. They did better than I thought back in pre-season. I tried to not get my hope up after the 6-0, but of course I did. When we knew we would need to get 2 more wins to get into the playoff and knew we still had the Raiders and Chiefs on the schedule, even more hope grew, esp how we played the Raiders there. So I am disappointed that they didn't close the deal by beating the Raiders. However I'm not disappointed that this season. It went so much better than I ever dreamed it could be and that I had hope again.

Normad....last year at the Raiders game no one cared, not the players or the fans I've watched tennis matches that were louder. At this Raider game the stadium was loud and shaking. IMO homefield is coming back, the fans are getting back into being the 12th man. At the Raiders game there were Bronco fans in my section, which is the first time that's happened all year. So it's coming back as I believe my team is too.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2010, 11:34 AM
For me disappointed - no. I would love to see the Broncos make the playoffs, and there is still an "outside" chance that will happen. Last night, Chris Berman was talking about the NFL - things that happened this year, and when he commented on the Broncos, he said something like "it may be the first time that a team starting 6 - 0 will not make the playoffs" - then he said something like "in all fairness to the Broncos - they have exceeded expectations". This is definitely the way I feel - with all of the off season changes - they definitely have exceeded expectations, and if they do make the playoffs, it will be the icing on the cake.

SoCalImport
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Disappointed because the season will be over.

Excited because the franchise is on the right track, and because we get to start looking at what to do in the draft/free-agency.

Tempus Fugit
01-01-2010, 02:23 PM
The team had a very difficult schedule and performed well above expectations for the first half of the season. Missing Orton for that one game may cost the team a playoff spot. I don't see any reason for Broncos fans to be disappointed about the team in general, because an 8-9 win season is an excellent start for the new regime, regardless of whether or not the team makes the playoffs. However, disappointment in missing the playoffs when it looked as if the team would make it is something to be expected.

BCJ
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
you start 6-0 then start losing massive amounts of games. Ok, you control your destiny with a win over the Raiders at home and you fail. This is looking more and more like last year. I will be pissed off just like last year. Only a win over the CHiefs and being 9-7 will make me feel better than last year.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-01-2010, 02:54 PM
No.

Superchop 7
01-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't like "skidding backwards" into the playoffs.

Let the chips fall where they may.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2010, 04:28 PM
My expecations skewed after the win over NE...so YES.

BUT, I am not disappointed about our future prospects.

BroncoBJ
01-01-2010, 06:19 PM
No, I'll be happy missing the playoffs.

What kind of stupid ass question is that? n00bish OP