PDA

View Full Version : http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14098282

broken12
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Prepare to say your goodbyes, Broncomaniacs.

Could this be the week in which the immensely talented, often-controversial, never-dull receiver grabs his second Pro Bowl invitation and catches his final pass for the Broncos?

However you feel about Marshall, you better tell him soon, before he wears No. 15 in orange for the last time.

As Marshall stood Wednesday at Dove Valley headquarters and humbly recognized his Pro Bowl selection as a blessing, the 25-year-old star who likes to be called Beast also reflected on a stressful year in which he overcame courtroom drama, money squabbles and a suspension by his team to make 101 receptions.

"It does feel good," Marshall said. "Coming into the season not even being a starter, not being on the field on third down, had a long wait, worked hard, overcame a lot of things."

And that's one major reason I think there's less than a 50 percent chance Marshall will play football next season for Denver.

For the Beast to fully escape the burden of his past, the only way out for Marshall is to leave town.

Credit both coach Josh McDaniels and Marshall for overcoming a rocky start to their relationship that caused many to wonder if it was possible to salvage after a disgruntled player demanded a trade.

The scene of B-Marsh and McD sharing a private, face-to-face moment in the locker room after the 6-foot-4 receiver's record-setting, 21-catch performance at Indianapolis could melt the heart of the coldest cynic who had bet this rookie coach and his NFL diva lacked the maturity to work together.

The clash between the Broncos and Marshall was all about the money, not trust or ego or personality. But, in the end, it will be money that tears the Beast and the Broncos apart.

Marshall wants to get paid at a bad time, when labor strife in the league and a shaky U.S. economy have combined to put B-Marsh and more than 200 young NFL players, including Dallas receiver Miles Austin, San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman and Denver teammate Kyle Orton in a tough spot, facing the distinct possibility of losing the freedom of unrestricted free agency this offseason.

"If you get one crack at free agency as a player, that's what you dream of. How it stands right now . . . guys aren't going to be able to have that dream, to be a free agent," Orton said. "That's a shame for players."

The real shame for the Broncos is this situation seems destined to drive a wedge between the team and Marshall, whose leverage in contract negotiations now appears to be severely limited unless he wants hold out and hear all the old charges of being a selfish malcontent.

When I asked McDaniels if Marshall had earned the status as an elite player in the league, the coach did not hesitate to offer a salute.

"Consistent production, to me, is the key. That's really what he has done for a number of years now," said McDaniels, before drawing this conclusion: "Brandon has certainly put himself in the category of really the top receivers in this conference and in the league."

The compliment, however, doesn't mean Denver is prepared to pay Marshall the same $10 million per season earned by Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

B-Marsh might be a Beast, but he's not worth breaking the bank. Here's why:

Some of the blame for the Broncos ranking a mediocre 17th in the 32-team league with 6.8 yards per passing attempt must fall squarely on the broad shoulders of Marshall. He runs over defensive backs, not by them. B-Marsh is more comfortable catching the football with his back to the goal line rather than running toward the end zone for an over-the- shoulder grab. The man is a possession receiver who lacks true game- breaking speed.

If given the chance to receive compensatory draft picks in the first and third rounds to fill other needs by letting Marshall depart Denver, it's hard to fathom how the Broncos would bring him back to be an unhappy, underpaid camper.

The up-to-date statistics tell the story, good and bad, regarding Marshall.

Number of career NFL receptions: 327.

Number of playoff games won by Marshall: zero.

Do the Broncos really want to invest superstar money in a receiver who has never helped them get a sniff of the Super Bowl?

Or does the team go a different route?

The answer should be obvious.

Prepare to say goodbye to the Beast.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14098282#ixzz0bHZDbsPc

now that i think about it, no reason to keep him! he is not a winner, everyone knows that having marshall here has gotten us nothing, yeah he's nice for many catches and between the twenties, but in the redzone he cannot get open and makes the offense red zone scoring look bad!

GEM
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Decent article til I got to your part where you normal smart ass, can't post seriously without smart ass two cents had to be thrown in. Geez, just post a serious reply without the little digs that you know are going to get other posters going. I've seen you do it, you can be a serious football poster, just step away from the smart ass bs.

broken12
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Decent article til I got to your part where you normal smart ass, can't post seriously without smart ass two cents had to be thrown in. Geez, just post a serious reply without the little digs that you know are going to get other posters going. I've seen you do it, you can be a serious football poster, just step away from the smart ass bs.

heres another one i got from the post, i hate using the post due to all their pop ups and spam, freaking annoying but here!

There was his 51-yard catch-and-run touchdown against Dallas, his two one-handed grabs on long passes against the New York Giants and his two wide-open, deep-bomb touchdowns against Washington.

By almost any statistical measure, Marshall is having a career season with the Broncos, well worthy of his second Pro Bowl nod — 101 catches and a career-high 10 touchdowns.

"Every year that's a goal of mine, to have 100 catches. That's where your bar is," he said Wednesday.

But a closer look at Marshall's numbers, as good as they are, help explain one of the Broncos' biggest offensive problems in their 8-7 season. He is averaging only 11.1 yards per catch, the lowest average in his career as an NFL starter, down from 13.0 in 2007 and 12.2 last season. As a whole, the Broncos' passing game is faring even worse, averaging just 6.8 yards per pass play, including an average of 3.9 yards per pass in Sunday's 30-27 loss at Philadelphia.

The Broncos have only 35 completions of at least 20 yards all season.

"We'd love to do that, but sometimes you don't get the right coverage; sometimes you get the coverage that you want, and you don't get the time to throw it," said Denver quarterback Kyle Orton. "There are just a lot of factors to get the ball down the field. We haven't been able to do that the last couple of weeks, but we're certainly going to try and throw the ball to the right spot, to the right people."

For Orton, that person has been Marshall, especially in the second half of the season. Marshall has more than double the number of catches of any other Broncos receiver. Jabar Gaffney ranks second on the team with 40 catches.

Asked about the Broncos' inability to get bigger chunks in their passing game, coach Josh McDaniels fell back on his math major at John Carroll University to
explain his offense.

"The further up the field you're throwing it, the lower percentage play you're dealing with," McDaniels said. "There's a lot of things that have to go right. That's why it takes a lot of work to get those things to work the way you want them to."

McDaniels clearly believes the most efficient way to throw the ball is short. Orton's target most often is Marshall, who came off the field early in practice Wednesday clutching the back of his right leg and was listed on the team's injury report as taking part on a limited basis in the workout.

The philosophy of throwing short worked well for McDaniels when he was calling plays for New England, and it continues to work for the Patriots this season without him calling the plays. Patriots slot receiver Wes Welker is the only player in the NFL with more catches than Marshall. Welker is averaging 11.0 yards on his 122 receptions. But the Patriots also have a Pro Bowl quarterback, Tom Brady, and perhaps the best deep-threat receiver in the NFL, Randy Moss. Moss has 78 catches for 1,189 yards and 13 touchdowns. He's averaging 15.2 yards a catch.

It isn't Marshall's fault the Broncos don't go deep much. He has tried to fill both the role of a possession receiver, such as Welker, and a big-play receiver, such as Moss.

"You'd love to have a guy who had a bunch of catches and a high yards per catch — that's a perfect match," McDaniels said. "I think anyone who has a lot of catches has obviously worked hard to get those, and anybody who has a high yards per catch does a lot to get those too."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Wide range of wide receivers

Broncos star Brandon Marshall is one of only two players in the NFL with at least 100 receptions this season. Marshall's 101 receptions trail only Wes Welker's 122 for the Patriots. But Marshall trails several wide receivers in yards and average yards per catch. Marshall and Welker rank No. 17 and No. 18, respectively, in yards per catch among the 18 wideouts who have at least 1,000 yards on receptions this season:

Rk. Player Team Catches Yards Avg.
1. DeSean Jackson Philadelphia 60 1,120 18.7
2. Vincent Jackson San Diego 68 1,167 17.2
3. Greg Jennings Green Bay 65 1,084 16.7
4. Miles Austin Dallas 74 1,230 16.6
5. Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh 78 1,243 15.9
6. Andre Johnson Houston 95 1,504 15.8
7. Sidney Rice Minnesota 97 1,200 15.6
8. Marques Colston New Orleans 69 1,071 15.5
9. Randy Moss New England 78 1,189 15.2
10. Chad Ochocinco Cincinnati 72 1,047 14.5
11. Derrick Mason Baltimore 72 1,005 14.0
12. Roddy White Atlanta 79 1,087 13.8
13. Reggie Wayne Indianapolis 95 1,243 13.1
14. Hines Ward Pittsburgh 87 1,106 12.7
15. Steve Smith N.Y. Giants 97 1,163 12.0
16. Larry Fitzgerald Arizona 94 1,075 11.4
17. Brandon Marshall Denver 101 1,120 11.1
18. Wes Welker New England 122 1,336 11.0

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14098281#ixzz0bHbgZ0Pc

this will help prove that denvers offense isnt utilizing the whole field.. under four yards per attempt vs the eagles just is bad, regardless of anything i think we need to take more shots, not saying throwing into double coverage. but with wes welker moss compliments the offense by going deep allowing welker for yac, it helps that brady can get the ball down field also, but here we dont compliment the short passing game with deep routes. another thing mcd doesnt believe in going deep from what i read here, i know its not efficiant but you gotta make defenses defend the deep end of the field!

weazel
12-31-2009, 11:11 AM
it's an opinion...

Hard to say what they do, it all depends on how much cash Marshall wants. I for one wouldn't break the team just to sign one player, so...

GEM
12-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I can clean those up for you if you don't mind. :)

GEM
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
this will help prove that denvers offense isnt utilizing the whole field.. under four yards per attempt vs the eagles just is bad, regardless of anything i think we need to take more shots, not saying throwing into double coverage. but with wes welker moss compliments the offense by going deep allowing welker for yac, it helps that brady can get the ball down field also, but here we dont compliment the short passing game with deep routes. another thing mcd doesnt believe in going deep from what i read here, i know its not efficiant but you gotta make defenses defend the deep end of the field!

See...I knew ya had it in ya! ;)

broken12
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
go ahead!

broken12
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
See...I knew ya had it in ya! ;)

some of my comments are to irk people you are right, but sometimes you have to get on someones nerves to get their attention.

GEM
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Done.

GEM
12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
some of my comments are to irk people you are right, but sometimes you have to get on someones nerves to get their attention.

You've gotten plenty of attention, but for all the wrong reasons. Then when you make serious posts that really add to the thread and conversation, no one pays attention. :shrugs: Hey, even I, who has been very vocal about having issues with some of your posts appreciates your serious football posts.

broncophan
12-31-2009, 11:25 AM

comments like this is why some people live lonely lives....

Sign Marshall....

underrated29
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
He is not going anywhere....A first and 3rd would not sway Mcd at all. Maybe two firsts, but no one besides the redskins would give up to 1sts for him.

End result: He stays.

broken12
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM
comments like this is why some people live lonely lives....

Sign Marshall....

sorry but not lonely have plenty of friends, wife and two little boys. :listen:

BroncoAV06
12-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow, got a kick out of how Marshall is the whole reason the Broncos have not made the playoffs. Its hard to bash the guy when the team as a whole has rarely gone down field. And what happened when they did in Washington? Thank you.

Marshall should be fine in this offense then with his YAC abilty as seeing most of the passes are underneath plays! You have to pay to keep top players. Don't give me systems win games, not on a consitaint basis. You need talent and Brandon has that and should be catching more passes from whoever is under center.

topscribe
12-31-2009, 12:26 PM

If you want attention, call your mother.

If you post well thought-out, insightful comments, you will get more pleasant
responses and dialog. The message board isn't about attention. It is about
conversation.

-----

rcsodak
12-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Prepare to say your goodbyes, Broncomaniacs.

Could this be the week in which the immensely talented, often-controversial, never-dull receiver grabs his second Pro Bowl invitation and catches his final pass for the Broncos?

However you feel about Marshall, you better tell him soon, before he wears No. 15 in orange for the last time.

As Marshall stood Wednesday at Dove Valley headquarters and humbly recognized his Pro Bowl selection as a blessing, the 25-year-old star who likes to be called Beast also reflected on a stressful year in which he overcame courtroom drama, money squabbles and a suspension by his team to make 101 receptions.

"It does feel good," Marshall said. "Coming into the season not even being a starter, not being on the field on third down, had a long wait, worked hard, overcame a lot of things."

And that's one major reason I think there's less than a 50 percent chance Marshall will play football next season for Denver.

For the Beast to fully escape the burden of his past, the only way out for Marshall is to leave town.

Credit both coach Josh McDaniels and Marshall for overcoming a rocky start to their relationship that caused many to wonder if it was possible to salvage after a disgruntled player demanded a trade.

The scene of B-Marsh and McD sharing a private, face-to-face moment in the locker room after the 6-foot-4 receiver's record-setting, 21-catch performance at Indianapolis could melt the heart of the coldest cynic who had bet this rookie coach and his NFL diva lacked the maturity to work together.

The clash between the Broncos and Marshall was all about the money, not trust or ego or personality. But, in the end, it will be money that tears the Beast and the Broncos apart.

Marshall wants to get paid at a bad time, when labor strife in the league and a shaky U.S. economy have combined to put B-Marsh and more than 200 young NFL players, including Dallas receiver Miles Austin, San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman and Denver teammate Kyle Orton in a tough spot, facing the distinct possibility of losing the freedom of unrestricted free agency this offseason.

"If you get one crack at free agency as a player, that's what you dream of. How it stands right now . . . guys aren't going to be able to have that dream, to be a free agent," Orton said. "That's a shame for players."

The real shame for the Broncos is this situation seems destined to drive a wedge between the team and Marshall, whose leverage in contract negotiations now appears to be severely limited unless he wants hold out and hear all the old charges of being a selfish malcontent.

When I asked McDaniels if Marshall had earned the status as an elite player in the league, the coach did not hesitate to offer a salute.

"Consistent production, to me, is the key. That's really what he has done for a number of years now," said McDaniels, before drawing this conclusion: "Brandon has certainly put himself in the category of really the top receivers in this conference and in the league."

The compliment, however, doesn't mean Denver is prepared to pay Marshall the same $10 million per season earned by Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

B-Marsh might be a Beast, but he's not worth breaking the bank. Here's why:

Some of the blame for the Broncos ranking a mediocre 17th in the 32-team league with 6.8 yards per passing attempt must fall squarely on the broad shoulders of Marshall. He runs over defensive backs, not by them. B-Marsh is more comfortable catching the football with his back to the goal line rather than running toward the end zone for an over-the- shoulder grab. The man is a possession receiver who lacks true game- breaking speed.

If given the chance to receive compensatory draft picks in the first and third rounds to fill other needs by letting Marshall depart Denver, it's hard to fathom how the Broncos would bring him back to be an unhappy, underpaid camper.

The up-to-date statistics tell the story, good and bad, regarding Marshall.

Number of career NFL receptions: 327.

Number of playoff games won by Marshall: zero.

Do the Broncos really want to invest superstar money in a receiver who has never helped them get a sniff of the Super Bowl?

Or does the team go a different route?

The answer should be obvious.

Prepare to say goodbye to the Beast.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14098282#ixzz0bHZDbsPc

now that i think about it, no reason to keep him! he is not a winner, everyone knows that having marshall here has gotten us nothing, yeah he's nice for many catches and between the twenties, but in the redzone he cannot get open and makes the offense red zone scoring look bad!

Who the hell wrote this piece of shit article?

High school junior?

So the blame for the team not being in the playoffs the last 3yrs is all on BMarsh? A WR?

Tell me.

How many times has Ochocinco got the Bungels into the playoffs?

How'd TO's "presence" in Buffalo turn out? And his time in Dallas?

THE most assinine, inane, inconsequential piece of drivel I've seen yet from the infamous DP.

As for the commentary..... :coffee:

rcsodak
12-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Ever consider that maybe you're just being ignored? :rolleyes:

And that would be considered "baiting", I believe. :coffee: