PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels, Broncos soon will focus on 2010 season

Lonestar
12-31-2009, 02:57 AM
Q&A: McDaniels, Broncos soon will focus on 2010 season
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 12/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels yells out at referee Mike Carey during the fourth quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, December, 27, 2009 at Lincoln Financial Field. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
Today's question about the Broncos comes from William of Aurora.

Q: With one game left in the regular season, and at least one more game if they make the playoffs, what do you think the Broncos will do during the offseason?

A: While their draft preparations are in full swing, the Broncos won't turn their attention to the roster until they are done for the season.

In terms of free agency, they have some significant issues — most notably Pro Bowl outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil (who leads the NFL in sacks), Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, quarterback Kyle Orton, tight end Tony Scheffler and guard Chris Kuper.

Dumervil is likely a top priority over the long-term. And the Broncos
need to make a decision about Orton's future — whether to sign him to a multiyear contract or tender him a one-year offer to keep him in the offense for another season.
Marshall wants a new contract, but the Broncos have to decide what they believe his attitude and approach to the game would look like with a pile of guaranteed money.

They will give plenty of attention to the offensive and defensive lines in free agency and the draft. When Josh McDaniels was with the Patriots, coach Bill Belichick used plenty of premium picks to select linemen on both sides of the ball.

McDaniels was critical of the Denver offensive line's performance last weekend against the Eagles, and the Broncos haven't consistently controlled the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball during the team's 2-7 stumble down the stretch.

Last offseason the Broncos rushed into the free-agent market, quickly signing several players. They likely will have plenty of turnover once again as McDaniels continues to build the roster he wants.

The Broncos have a quality first-round draft pick to play with. Though McDaniels took a lot of heat for trading the Broncos' first-round pick instead of the one the team got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler deal to move up and select Alphonso Smith, the Bears' first-round pick that now belongs to Denver will be better.

The Bears are 6-9, which currently slots them at No. 10 in the draft. They finish the season at Detroit this weekend.

Win or lose Sunday, playoffs or not, it won't take long for the Broncos to turn their attention to 2010.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14089787#ixzz0bFcY3NBs

claymore
12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
I hope we dont pay Marshall. Id hate to see what he does when he has nothing to play for.

CoachChaz
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope we dont pay Marshall. Id hate to see what he does when he has nothing to play for.

I dont know. Marshall always seems to have a fire in him when he's on the field. If nothing else, I think he has the desire to be the best in the game.

But I'm not one of the people prepared to pay him like he has that title already

claymore
12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I dont know. Marshall always seems to have a fire in him when he's on the field. If nothing else, I think he has the desire to be the best in the game.

But I'm not one of the people prepared to pay him like he has that title already

Im moreso worried of him having to be on work release to be able to play. Once he has the uniform on, there are few players ever I would want more than Marshall. Its the time off of football that concerns me.

A Brandon Marshall that can retire comfortably, and does not truly need to be good for his pay day scares me.

CoachChaz
12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Im moreso worried of him having to be on work release to be able to play. Once he has the uniform on, there are few players ever I would want more than Marshall. Its the time off of football that concerns me.

A Brandon Marshall that can retire comfortably, and does not truly need to be good for his pay day scares me.

I can definitely understand the dilemma. I dont have any inside scoop on anything, but I know I was one of those that would have preferred trading him last off-season instead of paying him. Since then, I've changed my mind based on what I've seen.

Hopefully it's not all bullshit in order to get paid.

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2009, 10:08 AM
If stars don't align in our ealier playoff determining games, I would like to see Denver start focusing on 2010 Sunday with Tom Brandstater.

Also, Clay I hope you're wrong about Marshall. You take him out of the equation and all of a sudden we're arguably looking at the worst offense in the NFL in 2010 collectively.

CoachChaz
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I think with a revamped line and improved running game we can still be competetive without Marshall. Remember...he wasnt playing very well when we were 6-0

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2009, 10:38 AM
True, but I don't like the idea that we'll have an offense that can't afford any adversity. Every team deals with it at some point, and the minute it hit us we went to ----.

I'm starting to do a 180 on McDaniels offensive scheme. Where's the aggressiveness he displayed with New England. We had a defense this year where you could afford to be aggressive.

Our offense was about as passive as a monk in a whorehouse.

CoachChaz
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
True, but I don't like the idea that we'll have an offense that can't afford any adversity. Every team deals with it at some point, and the minute it hit us we went to ----.

I'm starting to do a 180 on McDaniels offensive scheme. Where's the aggressiveness he displayed with New England. We had a defense this year where you could afford to be aggressive.

Our offense was about as passive as a monk in a whorehouse.

if you go back and look at the NE game and then look at any game we've lost...you'll actually see that the play-calling was pretty much the same. Orton had a career day against the Pats, but it wasnt by throwing 20 yard passes. Marshall had 8 catches for only 64 yards, Royal had 10 catches for only 90 yards and Orton completed 35 passes for 330...less than 10 yards per complettion.

The San Diego win was aided by 2 ST TD's by Royal and other than Sheffler's numbers, which were aided by a 52 yard reception...the stats are similar. marshal had another game with a ypc under 10.

Against Dallas...pretty much the same thing, except Marshall made a huge play out of a simple pass.

The play-calling and the offense is no different today than it was during the 6-0 stretch. It's the execution that is different. The big plays arent popping up ay opportune times like they were early on.

First 6 weeks we scored 22 ppg...last 10, we're scoring 17 ppg. A difference of 5. That seems like alot, but it's really not when you consider that during the first 6 weeks we allowed 11 ppg and over the last 10, weve allowed 22 ppg. The offense is scoring 5 less and the defense is giving up 11 more.

I dont think the offense is the root of the problem

Brand
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I can definitely understand the dilemma. I dont have any inside scoop on anything, but I know I was one of those that would have preferred trading him last off-season instead of paying him. Since then, I've changed my mind based on what I've seen.

Have to agree. I was also one who favored trading him, and I am still thinking that he might fetch a 1st or more, and that would be good in this draft. I would trade him if that meant the Broncos had a chance for a big LG and a shot at a decent LB or DE. If there is time available, the QB can throw the ball and there are guys out there who can catch the ball. It is true that Marshall cgets some YAC, but WRs are easier to find than good linemen, as the piece above implies. Every game hinges on control of the LOS.

The problem is that none of us have a clue as to what McD or the rest of the coaches are thinking. Speculation is all okay, but no one should fall in love with their own projections.....

silkamilkamonico
12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
if you go back and look at the NE game and then look at any game we've lost...you'll actually see that the play-calling was pretty much the same. Orton had a career day against the Pats, but it wasnt by throwing 20 yard passes. Marshall had 8 catches for only 64 yards, Royal had 10 catches for only 90 yards and Orton completed 35 passes for 330...less than 10 yards per complettion.

The San Diego win was aided by 2 ST TD's by Royal and other than Sheffler's numbers, which were aided by a 52 yard reception...the stats are similar. marshal had another game with a ypc under 10.

Against Dallas...pretty much the same thing, except Marshall made a huge play out of a simple pass.

The play-calling and the offense is no different today than it was during the 6-0 stretch. It's the execution that is different. The big plays arent popping up ay opportune times like they were early on.

First 6 weeks we scored 22 ppg...last 10, we're scoring 17 ppg. A difference of 5. That seems like alot, but it's really not when you consider that during the first 6 weeks we allowed 11 ppg and over the last 10, weve allowed 22 ppg. The offense is scoring 5 less and the defense is giving up 11 more.

I dont think the offense is the root of the problem

I haven't seen anything more than an anemic offense that had acouple big games.

Redzone scoring is still a huge problem. 22 ppg is only average. Short yardage was a huge problem all year long. McDaniels prided himself in New England of being aggressive and putting pressure on other teams. There was nothing on our offense doing that the entire year.

Considering the first 6 games held up on average, Denver is still an average scoring team in the NFL. There's no pressure being put on any teams.

As far as the red zone problems of concern and short yardage, it's a fixture in Denver. I understand it isn't necessarily McDaniels brought issue. But until I actually see improvement i nthose areas, I have to call it what it is.

Our offense, just isn't very good. And we better hope defense can continue the way they been playing next year, because I'm not counting on much from our offense, especially if Marshall's gone.

Unless I see otherwise.

weazel
12-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I would hope they have more than 100 people on their board this draft.

BroncoWave
12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
If stars don't align in our ealier playoff determining games, I would like to see Denver start focusing on 2010 Sunday with Tom Brandstater.

Also, Clay I hope you're wrong about Marshall. You take him out of the equation and all of a sudden we're arguably looking at the worst offense in the NFL in 2010 collectively.

There is no way we could be eliminated heading into our game Sunday, so it would be stupid to start Brandstater. And even if we did find out at some point in the game that we were eliminated, it would probably be toward the end and be nothing but garbage time for Brandstater anyway.

WARHORSE
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM

If we choose to pay him the big dollars, Im sure the higher the contract goes the more behavioral stipulations will be included.

We cant afford to pay the man only to have him choke his fiance on the eve of their wedding or sumthin to that effect.

But one other thing brought out by Kizla in an article today, which bears note, is the fact that Marshall is not a field stretcher.

Brandon does not go up and get the ball in traffic. Brandon does his work after the catch. And this, unfortunately will lead to a body more quickly beat down.

Brandons shelf life isnt very long. After he takes a few more hits, his body is not going to allow him to make those quick cuts that make people miss.

Without that hes ordinary.

A big decision is looming on the horizon for Denver.

Nomad
01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I hope McDaniels and Xanders does what's best for the team with the possiblity of what will give Denver the best chances to win. I'm not going to try to guess or speculate because too much of a needless headache.

Biz1
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
If the owners do not reverse themselves(which seems unlikely at this juncture), Dumervil and Marshall will be RFA's rather than unrestricted. That would be very good news for Bronco fans. The team will then have control and prevent them from shopping the market.:D

Tempus Fugit
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
If the owners do not reverse themselves(which seems unlikely at this juncture), Dumervil and Marshall will be RFA's rather than unrestricted. That would be very good news for Bronco fans. The team will then have control and prevent them from shopping the market.:D

And won't that make Marshall happy.......

Lonestar
01-01-2010, 06:42 PM

we will also have TWO franchise tags to use.. so lots of folks could be put up as first rounds tenders and the best of the group can be TAGGED.

claymore
01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
we will also have TWO franchise tags to use.. so lots of folks could be put up as first rounds tenders and the best of the group can be TAGGED.
No way we could afford that. 2 franchise tags? Bailey's salary? no way.

Lonestar
01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
No way we could afford that. 2 franchise tags? Bailey's salary? no way.

you do realize we are under the cap for 2009 and there is no cap in 2010..

so Josh can pretty much do what they want to do..

and frankly it would most likely be less than signing them to a long term contract..

for example they will both want top money which would be more than the average of the top five at their position and then we save the proration of the signing bonus.. and that pretty much IDIOT proofs us.. NOW if marshall gets stupid we are not out guaranteed money..

plus I saw someone comment that he is taking a lot of hits (something I saw last year) does he have more than two really good seasons after this one left in him?

Biz1
01-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Hi Jrwiz,

Yep, as it stands now it's a bit of a free for all...prior rules do not apply in the spending department. I posted some more info under "Other NFL Teams". That should hopefully help others' understand what is fully transpiring and avoid some confusion over the Winter.

Happy New Years!